Inactive owners that bring ther competition A-game?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Inactive owners that bring ther competition A-game?

Postby jordanzs » Mon May 13, 2019 2:30 pm

Do you guys have leagues where some owners are like groundhogs during the offseason? They don't log in, they don't offer trades, they may or may not respond to trades, etc. But once week 14 rolls around they are always in the playoffs and a candidate to be league champ. They draft well, they build their team well now & for the future.

If so, how do you feel about those kind of owners in your league? Does it bum you out to have them in your league?

On the flipside, there are hyperactive owners. They always log in, they always seek trades, they always speak their mind in the league chat, etc. Except their team is a perpetual bottom feeder.

LOL I have a league where one of the bottom feeder teams is making it known that a certain owner isn't active, like he's not doing his dynasty duty. But that owner has always been & still is one of the strongest competitors during the regular season. I had to tell the active bottomfeeder that he should learn from the other owner on how to just chill & not backpedal your team.

There was a similar thread a few weeks ago where someone was complaining that his leaguemates weren't active enough for his liking. On this one, I'm more dialing into the owners that aren't active but compete very well when needed. I'm not a fan of inactive owners who don't work the waiver wire & become the vacuums each year for top rookie picks.

ebsteelers
Role Player
Role Player

Re: Inactive owners that bring ther competition A-game?

Postby ebsteelers » Mon May 13, 2019 4:11 pm

sure it can be annoying especially if they have a player you want... but there also shouldnt be rules that require an owner to trade etc... i think that is one of the biggest mistakes in dynasty leagues... just because you trade alot doesnt mean you're a good owner.

you can have rules set up where they need to log in once every few weeks in the off season but i know that doesnt help them become more active

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Mon May 13, 2019 5:12 pm

In this case, the "inactive owner" sees the offers but he doesn't feel the need to trade those players unless it helps his team. And hyperactive owners interpret his inactivity as a sign of weakness so they send him 1 sided offers. He doesn't counter as if he does sent a counter, it might get accepted & he's not playing to weaken his team at the expense of his opponents.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Mon May 13, 2019 6:27 pm

I have had owners like this in my leagues.
As long as they are active in the season I do not care.

Not everyone is trade happy.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon May 13, 2019 7:34 pm

I don't think it matters. The offseason (particularly after rookie drafts) is a great time to take a mental break from dynasty. There's nothing semi-meaningful happening until training camp and that isn't for a few more months.

sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby sloth8u » Tue May 14, 2019 6:41 am

You dont have to trade alot to build good teams.

To be honest...this scenario is what we all should be striving for.

CubfanAA
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby CubfanAA » Tue May 14, 2019 6:50 am

sloth8u wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 6:41 am You dont have to trade alot to build good teams.

Exactly...Why spend all offseason sending out trade requests if you already have the players you want??? I am definitely more active with offseason trades in the leagues where I do not like my current team as much. Then when the season hits you always have to be active in every league because of injuries and values often changing quickly and drastically (This doesn't happen as often in the offseason).

rubber_duck
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby rubber_duck » Tue May 14, 2019 7:09 am

Participating in larger leagues helps. Leagues have a variety of owners. Owners that are either good or bad at fantasy, and owners that either trade a lot or don't trade much at all. The single most annoying owners (to me) are the ones that are bad at fantasy and inactive.

Being in a league with at least 16 teams improves you chances of having a decent representation of all types of owners in the league.

The hyper active owners are the ones that seem to complain the most in this forum. Funny, though, as they can be some of the most annoying to deal with in my actual league. LOL Maybe that is because I feel the need to acknowledge and reply to trade offers and some of these guys can be persistent! On average I will do 3 or 4 trades per year, and always at least respond to offers. But, sheesh, I have had some years where fantasy football doesn't make it into my top 10 list of priorities in life.

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Tue May 14, 2019 9:29 am

I only have issue with owners that are ghosts / uncommunicative during the offseason and then also have a losing record year after year after year.

I have zero issue with the type of owner described in the OP. If you're getting consistent results, you can be as aloof as you want. Trading is not a mandatory activity.

But if a guy's win-loss record has sucked several seasons consecutively, he had better be seen to be making an effort. Ignoring open trade offers, not responding to emails, etc, and the league needs to consider giving him the boot.
Last edited by ninotoreS on Tue May 14, 2019 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Tue May 14, 2019 9:37 am

sloth8u wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 6:41 am You dont have to trade alot to build good teams.

This ^
Trading should make your team better. If you are good with your team and the assets you own then I see no reason to make moves to satisfy the "I made the most trades" crowd.
If your team is strong WW adds generally don't help much. There are maybe 3-4 guys a year that are potentially starters for a few weeks on most of my WW.
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams

ebsteelers
Role Player
Role Player

Postby ebsteelers » Tue May 14, 2019 10:37 am

I'm fine with being inactive in the off-season but at least respond to trades don't let them expire.. even if its a decline with no comments

Goirish374
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Goirish374 » Tue May 14, 2019 11:10 am

activity =/= trading
Dynasty League Football Premium League Almanac:
2020 Champ: me again! (no, for reals!)
2019 Champ: me!
2018 Champ: Qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
2017 Champ: Irishdoom
2016 Champ: DDT(wakelawyer)
2015 Champ: BigChiefBC

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Tue May 14, 2019 3:12 pm

Lots of ways to play to play this crazy game.

In my long standing leagues and leagues I have run over the years, I have the owners cell phone. If I see a potential win/win trade I will text them.

I will ignore stupid trades often and just reject but just because an owner goes dark in the off season doesn't mean anything to me.

A simple text from time to time works wonders even if it's just a note to say you hope all is well.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Chris_R
MVP
MVP

Postby Chris_R » Tue May 14, 2019 3:42 pm

Yea I don't see the issue the beauty of dynasty is running your team the way you choose to. Some guys never trade up or down, pick at the same spot, keep their rookies and always do well. Some guys trade excessively any and everyone and still win. Others talk, others just show up, draft, and set their lineups. There isn't and shouldnt be a prerequisite for how someone should play. I've also seen all those player types have bad teams.

As long as a guy is setting his lineups, isn't clearly tanking or ghosting during the season, and doesn't hold the draft up, he is good. Those are legit gripes. What I prefer to do is send guys a blank trade, cancel it, and just start up some 1 on 1 dialogue on player values, if he wants to trade player A, what would he want, etc. Sometimes guys send 5 deals that are rejected without a response but if you just asked you'd know he doesn't want to trade Player A. Sometimes you just talk ball and learn something about dudes in the league.
12 Team ppr Dynasty IDP Superflex
1 QB, 1 QB/RB, 1 RB, 1 WR, RB/WR, WR/TE, 1 TE, 2 DL, 2 LB, 2 DB, 2 DL/LB/DB

QB: Dak Prescott/Kyler Murray
RB: Jonathan Taylor/James Robinson/D'Onta Foreman/Chris Hubbard/Keontay Ingram
WR: Jamar Chase/Diontae Johnson/Amron St Brown/Courtland Sutton/Rondale Moore/Donovan Peoples-Jones/Christian Watson
TE: Dalton Schultz/Gerald Everett/Greg Dulcich/Jeremy Ruckert

DL: Joey Bosa/Khalil Mack
LB: Leighton Vander Esch/Tremaine Edmunds/Blake Martinez/Telvin Smith/Sean Lee
DB: Earl Thomas/Keanu Neal/Minkah Fitzpatrick/John Johnson

Picks: 2023(three)