turkjetfan
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Re: Corey Davis vs the 2019 Rookie WRs

Postby turkjetfan » Sat May 11, 2019 11:31 am

Jason3123 wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 10:30 am
turkjetfan wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 10:05 am
Cameron Giles wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 9:57 am

Davis is a better player than Stills and Metcalf, AND you gave up a first on top of it?

I'm really wondering how many people in this thread have actually watched Davis play. I can't imagine someone watching Davis play and thinking "Man, I really wish he played more like DK Metcalf."
There’s this thing called situation relative to talent.

CD talent. Metrics. Zero production and now in an even more crowded situation.

DK strengths match Seattle + oppty

CD is truly the prime example of fantasy nerds dissecting these ancillary metrics to predict future production which never comes.
Will you please explain how Seattle has opportunity and Tennessee doesn’t? Since you’re not a fantasy nerd and all. I’d love to hear a non-nerds opinion.
Gladly and I’ll keep it really simple

Russell Wilson
Only lockett as viable passing option maybe David Moore
Russell great deep ball
DK huge fast dude great deep receiver

Vs

Marcus Mariota
Aj brown joins the bleep show as does humpheries
14 team 1 pt PPR

QB: Baker, Darnold
RB: Kareem, Miles Sanders, Darrell Henderson, Ito Smith, Jay Ajayi, Damien Harris, CJ Anderson, Dion Lewis, Corey Clement
WR: Jarvis, DK Metcalf, Robby Anderson, Tyrell Williams, Kenny Stills, Donte Moncrief, David Moore, Hakeem Butler, Miles Boykin, Scott Miller, Anthony Johnson
TE: Hooper, Doyle, Jace Sternberger

turkjetfan
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby turkjetfan » Sat May 11, 2019 11:40 am

Similar reasons I loved MT and took him around the same place DK is going. Great situation w little resistance to snaps.

MT slid Bc “raw, needs to develop” but excellent physical traits. Sound familiar?
14 team 1 pt PPR

QB: Baker, Darnold
RB: Kareem, Miles Sanders, Darrell Henderson, Ito Smith, Jay Ajayi, Damien Harris, CJ Anderson, Dion Lewis, Corey Clement
WR: Jarvis, DK Metcalf, Robby Anderson, Tyrell Williams, Kenny Stills, Donte Moncrief, David Moore, Hakeem Butler, Miles Boykin, Scott Miller, Anthony Johnson
TE: Hooper, Doyle, Jace Sternberger

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sat May 11, 2019 11:44 am

turkjetfan wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 11:40 am Similar reasons I loved MT and took him around the same place DK is going. Great situation w little resistance to snaps.

MT slid Bc “raw, needs to develop” but excellent physical traits. Sound familiar?
Michael Thomas wasn't raw. He was the best route runner and technician in the draft. He was really, really good. Now, he's one of the best WRs in football and contrary to lazy opinion, it's not because of Drew Brees. It's because Thomas has the best hands in the league and gets open at will. Everyone knows where the ball is going and Thomas STILL creates separation and large throwing windows for Brees.

If we're really comparing Metcalf to Thomas, then I question if you've ever watched Metcalf (or Thomas at Ohio State) play. He's nothing close to Thomas as a WR. One trick pony vs a WR who could run every route in the book and abuse corners at any level of the field.

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Sat May 11, 2019 12:04 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 11:11 am
Bot101 wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 11:05 am
Jason3123 wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 10:30 am

Will you please explain how Seattle has opportunity and Tennessee doesn’t? Since you’re not a fantasy nerd and all. I’d love to hear a non-nerds opinion.
One offense has one of the best and most efficient QBs throwing the football, the other has a guy who cant read defenses and also cant feel his arm.
I still don't get this reasoning. Sure, having Wilson instead of Mariota is a notable difference to getting players the ball efficiently and in a larger variety of ways, but a WR still has to do his part to get the ball. They're not going to mask a large amount of flaws. If your preference of WRs simply boils down to who the QB is, then long-term it's an awful strategy.
The reasoning is sound. If I have 2 players ranked similarly, whos chucking the rock is my tie breaker. Im not advocating Davis and DK are side by side for me. Im just using that as a tie breaker. I voted Harry over CD, but then I'd probably take Davis over the field.

I mentioned that AJB can teach CD how to be a pro was just because I've read/heard in a couple places that Davis doesnt have that drive/work ethic that the top WRs possess. Basically hes just been relying on his natural talent to carry him this far. Im not going to reveal where ive heard that but it reminded me of Parker. Parker goes a step further though and his motivation is being questioned. I said Davis was a better Parker. Someone who doesnt put the time in improving their craft plateau or suffer from frequent nagging minor injuries.

Do I think Davis is Parker 2.0? No not at all. But they share some similarities and CD fanboys just rip their shirts off when anyone has something negative to say about Davis. Davis has great natural talent. But hes locked into a bad offense, with a bad QB and he doesnt seem to have that killer drive to take the next step. And his situation isnt changing soon. If the Titans thought as highly of him as the dynasty community then why bring in 2 guys that will take targets away?

Jason3123
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Jason3123 » Sat May 11, 2019 12:58 pm

I’ll keep it simple too. Davis is already the #1 receiver on his team. Metcalf isn’t. Davis has 2 years of experience with decent production under his belt, Metcalf doesn’t. Davis was a superior prospect coming out. The Titans hit rock bottom offensively last year. If you think they won’t improve then you don’t understand the NFL from a season to season variance. It’s also laughable how much people are writing off Marcus Mariota after an injury riddled season, like that’s his new normal. Whatever makes you happy though and fits your agenda.

jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jenkins.math » Sat May 11, 2019 5:01 pm

Bot101 wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 12:04 pm
The reasoning is sound. If I have 2 players ranked similarly, whos chucking the rock is my tie breaker. Im not advocating Davis and DK are side by side for me. Im just using that as a tie breaker. I voted Harry over CD, but then I'd probably take Davis over the field.

I mentioned that AJB can teach CD how to be a pro was just because I've read/heard in a couple places that Davis doesnt have that drive/work ethic that the top WRs possess. Basically hes just been relying on his natural talent to carry him this far. Im not going to reveal where ive heard that but it reminded me of Parker. Parker goes a step further though and his motivation is being questioned. I said Davis was a better Parker. Someone who doesnt put the time in improving their craft plateau or suffer from frequent nagging minor injuries.

Do I think Davis is Parker 2.0? No not at all. But they share some similarities and CD fanboys just rip their shirts off when anyone has something negative to say about Davis. Davis has great natural talent. But hes locked into a bad offense, with a bad QB and he doesnt seem to have that killer drive to take the next step. And his situation isnt changing soon. If the Titans thought as highly of him as the dynasty community then why bring in 2 guys that will take targets away?
So I guess the Cardinals didn't think very highly of Anquan Boldin since they drafted Fitz the next year. Or the Steelers must have been down on AB since they took Juju, who also must suck because they then took James Washington. Mike Evans blows because they brought in DJax and drafted Chris Godwin. Julio isn't very good because the Falcons took Calvin Ridley. Do I really need to continue? Last I checked you need more than 1 viable weapon to be a good offense. The Titans brought in weapons so they could literally give Mariota zero excuses for failure this season. Plain and simple.

The fact that you continue to say you've "read/heard" in a couple places that "Davis doesn't have a drive/work ethic" but then not reveal is laughable. It's because that hasn't been uttered. Your hate and bias for CD are ridiculous. I don't know if he took your girl, went out with your mom, bullied you or a family member, but it's fairly ridiculous the lengths you are going to dog this guy.

For the record I don't think CD is elite. I was at the draft in Philly when CD was picked and I thought it was a horrible pick then. I don't think he is an alpha dog and I don't think he will ever live up to his draft status. That said he is far better and has been far more productive than you are giving him credit for. Nobody is getting upset about you being down on CD. It's your incredibly biased and foolish logic mixed with unfounded claims that have people calling you out about your stance on CD.

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Sat May 11, 2019 5:14 pm

Jason3123 wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 12:58 pm It’s also laughable how much people are writing off Marcus Mariota after an injury riddled season, like that’s his new normal. Whatever makes you happy though and fits your agenda.
https://www.musiccitymiracles.com/2018/ ... ng-forward

To pretend that injuries were JUST last year is laughable.

Forza_Azzurri
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Forza_Azzurri » Sat May 11, 2019 5:28 pm

Lumps wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 5:14 pm
Jason3123 wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 12:58 pm It’s also laughable how much people are writing off Marcus Mariota after an injury riddled season, like that’s his new normal. Whatever makes you happy though and fits your agenda.

I always put more weight onto the action of NFL teams than my own evaluation or any fantasy evaluation ... the fact that the Titans brought in a backup with the pedigree of Tannehill is a clear indication that the Titans are not convinced Mariota is their long-term franchise QBS either because of injuries or lack of development on his part.

Jason3123
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Jason3123 » Sat May 11, 2019 6:12 pm

Players are injured until they’re not. They eventually heal unless they’re career altering. Mariota was beat up bad last year and played through them. It affected his performance significantly. A healthy season this year and he’ll be able to replicate those first two seasons, and probably even better since his supporting cast is much better now.

What really happened to people’s opinions of Mariota is that they overdrafted him after year 2 and now he’s burned them for 2 seasons and they can’t separate their emotional biases.

SteveMaddensShoes
Legend
Legend

Postby SteveMaddensShoes » Sat May 11, 2019 6:17 pm

I kept having faith in Mariota and blaming the OC carousel, lack of weapons, injury, etc. Then they brought in Tannehill and I did lose faith. I don't think it hurts Corey Davis either way though. Probably helps him tbh.
TEAM 1 - 12 man SF. ppr, TEP 1.65 ppr

11 starters - QB, RB(2) WR(3) TE, SF, Flex(3)

Stroud, Kyler, Bryce Young, Anthony Richardson, Minshew, Trey Lance, Dalton l, Mike White

Breece, Achane, AJ Dillon, Justice Hill, Evan Hull, Chris Rodgriquez

Chase, Lamb, Waddle, Olave, London Drake, Demario Davis, Jake Bobo

Kyle Pitts, Mark Andrews, Kincaid, Schoonmaker

24 picks - 1x2, 3,4,5

Team 2-
12 man SF, .25ppc, .5ppr rbs, 1 ppr wr, 1.5 ppr TE

Joe Burrow, Trevor Lawerence, Jake Haehner, Jake Browning

JT, Kendre Miller,, K Ingram, Ty Chandler, Michael Carter, Kenny Macintosh, Sean Tucker

Puka, Rondale, Mooney, Wan’dale, Terrace Marshall, DPJ, Justyn Ross, Xavier Hutchinson,

Kyle Pitts, Luke Musgrave, Juwan Johnson, Darnell Washington, Jelani Woods, Elijah Higgins

24 - 1st x 3, 2nd x 2, 4th x 3 ,5

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Sat May 11, 2019 6:18 pm

jenkins.math wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 5:01 pm

So I guess the Cardinals didn't think very highly of Anquan Boldin since they drafted Fitz the next year. Or the Steelers must have been down on AB since they took Juju, who also must suck because they then took James Washington. Mike Evans blows because they brought in DJax and drafted Chris Godwin. Julio isn't very good because the Falcons took Calvin Ridley. Do I really need to continue? Last I checked you need more than 1 viable weapon to be a good offense. The Titans brought in weapons so they could literally give Mariota zero excuses for failure this season. Plain and simple.

The fact that you continue to say you've "read/heard" in a couple places that "Davis doesn't have a drive/work ethic" but then not reveal is laughable. It's because that hasn't been uttered. Your hate and bias for CD are ridiculous. I don't know if he took your girl, went out with your mom, bullied you or a family member, but it's fairly ridiculous the lengths you are going to dog this guy.

For the record I don't think CD is elite. I was at the draft in Philly when CD was picked and I thought it was a horrible pick then. I don't think he is an alpha dog and I don't think he will ever live up to his draft status. That said he is far better and has been far more productive than you are giving him credit for. Nobody is getting upset about you being down on CD. It's your incredibly biased and foolish logic mixed with unfounded claims that have people calling you out about your stance on CD.

Let me look at your sig, ah I see Corey Davis. So you’re a butthurt Davis owner. Let me be clear, I do not in any way hate Corey Davis, his talent, his NFL draft spot, or his mother. I am not trying to dog him in the sense that I don’t see his potential. But what I do hate is the value that his owners say he’s worth. He has done almost nothing to warrant his insulated value. And it’s comical to see the flock of CD owners poorly attempting to rip me because I am simply bringing a different point of view to the discussion.

There is nothing laughable about me hiding where I’ve seen or read details on Davis or anyone for that matter. I have several league mates who stalk me here and I have something they may not have and I’m keeping it that way. If you don’t like that, I simply don’t care.

Davis can be a good not great WR in my opinion. So anyone who’s rushing to shut down a differing opinion can just have a little of this :boohoo:

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Sat May 11, 2019 6:51 pm

SteveMaddensShoes wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 6:17 pm I kept having faith in Mariota and blaming the OC carousel, lack of weapons, injury, etc. Then they brought in Tannehill and I did lose faith. I don't think it hurts Corey Davis either way though. Probably helps him tbh.
Both are injury prone and thus far in their careers Mariota has the advantage in completion percentage, YPA, TD%, QB Rating and his worst season QBR would be Tannehill’s second best. Tannehill has the advantage in yards per game, and I guess you can say he throws more. I’m not sure why people view him as this huge threat to Mariota and even if you do, Tannehill isn’t going to convince the coaches to suddenly abandoned the run first mentality with that defense.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

PR0v3
Captain
Captain

Postby PR0v3 » Sat May 11, 2019 6:54 pm

Bot101 wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 6:18 pm

Let me look at your sig, ah I see Corey Davis. So you’re a butthurt Davis owner. Let me be clear, I do not in any way hate Corey Davis, his talent, his NFL draft spot, or his mother. I am not trying to dog him in the sense that I don’t see his potential. But what I do hate is the value that his owners say he’s worth. He has done almost nothing to warrant his insulated value. And it’s comical to see the flock of CD owners poorly attempting to rip me because I am simply bringing a different point of view to the discussion.

There is nothing laughable about me hiding where I’ve seen or read details on Davis or anyone for that matter. I have several league mates who stalk me here and I have something they may not have and I’m keeping it that way. If you don’t like that, I simply don’t care.

Davis can be a good not great WR in my opinion. So anyone who’s rushing to shut down a differing opinion can just have a little of this :boohoo:
Davis already is a good WR. He was a back end WR2 last year. IDK what kind of leagues you play in but in mine 23 year old, top 5 NFL draft picks that are already WR2s tend to have very good value. Sounds like you are just upset that you can’t buy him for the price you want.
12 Team .5 PPR - 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 WR/RB 20 man rosters, 5 man taxi est. 2018
QB: Dak, Pickett
RB: CMC, Taylor, Gibson, Dillon, Akers, Penny
WR: JJeff, Hollywood, Olave, Toney, Aiyuk, Jeudy, C. Davis, Boyd, C. Samuel,
TE: Njoku, Gesicki
2023 picks: 1.x, 2.x, 3.x, 4.x

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Sat May 11, 2019 7:18 pm

PR0v3 wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 6:54 pm
Bot101 wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 6:18 pm

Davis already is a good WR. He was a back end WR2 last year. IDK what kind of leagues you play in but in mine 23 year old, top 5 NFL draft picks that are already WR2s tend to have very good value. Sounds like you are just upset that you can’t buy him for the price you want.
No. Davis finished as WR 27 in half PPR and WR 26 in full PPR, a high end WR 3. Tyler Boyd was a good WR and finished as WR 17 in half PPR and WR 15 in full PPR and he played in 1 less game (14 for Boyd and 15 for Davis). This is according to fantasypros week 1 thru 16. I highly highly doubt any Davis owner would trade him for Boyd. Yet Boyd has minimal value and Davis hasnt lost any value.

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Sat May 11, 2019 7:27 pm

Jason3123 wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 6:12 pm

Players are injured until they’re not. They eventually heal unless they’re career altering. Mariota was beat up bad last year and played through them. It affected his performance significantly. A healthy season this year and he’ll be able to replicate those first two seasons, and probably even better since his supporting cast is much better now.

What really happened to people’s opinions of Mariota is that they overdrafted him after year 2 and now he’s burned them for 2 seasons and they can’t separate their emotional biases.
Yeah. No one ever flames out in the NFL because they can't stay healthy. Never has happened.