Lamar Jackson is the best QB in the NFL & Fantasy

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Re: *MYTH* Lamar Jackson will never be a good passer

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:44 am

ArrylT wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:01 pm The other Lamar Jackson threads - have been moved to the SF & Player Debate forums - just an FYI in case anyone was wondering - since we indeed do NOT need 3 similar active threads in one forum & I did not see the need to merge or lock any of them. So if you do feel the desire/need to discuss Lamar Jackson in multiple threads feel free - will just have to do it in different sections.
Fanboys outta control!!!! :lol: :wink:
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Patsfan86 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:28 am

I contributed to the problem as well, i have a real "Argue with people about Lamar" issue going on and i just cant help myself. My friends are sick of it.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:41 pm

So now that we've anointed Lamar the greatest QB to ever play the game *and* the only thing left to debate is "How long can he do it" - did anyone else here see Hayden Winks' charting of his hits so far this season? It's at the bottom of this page:

https://www.rotoworld.com/article/fanta ... l-forecast

At the least, it's fun fuel to the tyre-fire of this thread. Here's the takeaway paragraph if you're lazy / allergic to reading any more Lamar stats:
Overall, Lamar’s elite athleticism helps him avoid being hit hard both as a runner and passer. When Lamar runs, it’s most often on the safer designed runs, and he’s sliding or running out of bounds at a higher rate on the more dangerous quarterback scrambles. Lamar could (and arguably should) slide more often on his designed runs, but he is able to avoid hard hits because defenders slow down before contact to try to avoid getting juked. Lamar’s awareness has also kept him safer while throwing, so I’m skeptical that Lamar is more injury-prone than other quarterbacks like the Boomers like to say. Even if he is, Lamar shouldn’t change his style because he has Super Bowl winning upside while playing like this.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:14 am

After his 3rd straight game with a 70% plus completion percentage and his 5th 100 plus passer rating this year (3rd in row) he is now clearly in the conversation for the MVP of the league and considered the favorite by some with 7 passing TD's in the last 2 games.

He is now 4th overall in Passer rating and 4th in total QBR for starting QB's.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Mike11
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Mike11 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:16 pm

I think he's good.
League Established in 2014

2015 League Champion
2017 League Champion
2018 League Champion
2022 League Champion

10 Team 20 Keeper League Non ppr

Starters in Bold

QB Justin Herbert, Lamar Jackson Aaron Rodgers, Russel Wilson
RB Chubb, JT Javonte Williams, De’Von Achane
Flex Ekeler, Etienne
WR AJB, Stefon Diggs, Jaylen Waddle Mike Williams, Treylon Burks, Amari Rodgers, Nico Collins, Diontae Johnson, Mingo, Burks, Tillman, Batemen
TE TJ Hockenson Higbee Hurst

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:35 pm

I still think he'll face plant come playoffs when someone can limit him to 40-50 rushing yards.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:57 pm

Space Cowboy wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:35 pm I still think he'll face plant come playoffs when someone can limit him to 40-50 rushing yards.
I'm not going to wish it on him, but I watched the game, and it's a lot of high percentage throws. Quite frankly, he does exactly what is needed for the system. His legs keep LB's and Safeties more than honest, and they exploit it well. It's mostly throws to the TE's and RB's, and they tend to scheme very well, and Lamar is doing a great job within it. Plays like the ones to Ingram anybody could have made, however the throw to Andrews was pin point. It seems that they still focus on short stuff, and the middle of the field, and try to take the odd deep shot.

If Lamar had the mobility of Rivers, it would be a different story. He's not an elite passer, from that type of stand point, but the nightmare of his running ability opens up a lot in the passing game, and he's able to take advantage of it. He's not a guy that would be a great pure pocket passer, but he doesn't have to be, nor should he be. I think Roman has done a great job at creating a system to fit Lamar's strengths, an minimize his weaknesses. I am looking forward to seeing a re match vs the Pats, personally. I would like to see how they handle him a 2nd time round.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:58 pm

Space Cowboy wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:35 pm I still think he'll face plant come playoffs when someone can limit him to 40-50 rushing yards.
I would like to know what defense you think there is that can do that, presuming he's 100%.

Until week 9, the obvious answer would have been "the Patriots".

You're still not giving him enough credit, imo.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:02 pm

mild wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:58 pm
I would like to know what defense you think there is that can do that, presuming he's 100%.

The Chiefs played Lamar well. So did the Steelers, I believe, off the top of my head, although I think he ran for about 70 on the Steelers. Jackson had 61 on 16 vs the Pats in Baltimore. I think he would have a tougher time in Foxboro, for round 2. I don't think the Ravens go to the Super Bowl, but I also wouldn't be surprised if they do.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:05 pm

Miami held him to 6 rushing yards

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:10 pm

It's probably also worth noting that his receiving options are substantially less impressive than any of the other top fantasy quarterbacks.

That said - the Ravens are currently emphasizing his strengths extremely well, while mitigating his weaknesses, and allowing him to develop.

He has made strides as a passer - and if he continues to, watch out.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:11 pm

Jigga94 wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:05 pm Miami held him to 6 rushing yards
I didn't mention that one, because they didn't exactly hold much of anything in check that game. :lol:

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:32 pm

mild wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:58 pm

He is one of 7 QB's with 8 or more yards per attempt in the league this year with 6 plus starts. Tannehill could join that group this season given his trajectory.

The Ravens are the top scoring team in the league with a defense that is playing great. I don't see a face plant on the horizon any time soon.

Of course he could have a bad game. Watson and Wentz were horrid yesterday as an example.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:35 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:11 pm
I didn't mention that one, because they didn't exactly hold much of anything in check that game. :lol:
His point being that a "faceplant" where he "only" gains 50 yards on the ground - those two ideas aren't necessarily related to anything, or each other. He is better than simply a rushing QB, and we need to start treating him as such.

He is displaying elite accuracy in the middle of the field already - where the Ravens feature 3 extremely legitimate pass-catching TE's, for exactly this reason. His best outside WR is an 180lb Rookie.

I'm telling you. Year 3. They're going to fix this, and He's going to be even better.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:15 pm

mild wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:35 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:11 pm
His point being that a "faceplant" where he "only" gains 50 yards on the ground - those two ideas aren't necessarily related to anything, or each other. He is better than simply a rushing QB, and we need to start treating him as such.

He is displaying elite accuracy in the middle of the field already - where the Ravens feature 3 extremely legitimate pass-catching TE's, for exactly this reason. His best outside WR is an 180lb Rookie.

I'm telling you. Year 3. They're going to fix this, and He's going to be even better.
Boyle is very iffy to call legit, but he's gotta be the best TE3 out there... Also don't hate on Hollywood. He might not be a Julio mold but he does good things for this offense. Still sort of wish we had taken DK...