Lamar Jackson is the best QB in the NFL & Fantasy

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: *MYTH* Lamar Jackson will never be a good passer

Postby Space Cowboy » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:03 pm

Can't fit a square peg in a round hole.

I like the guy, in real life and in fantasy. I would have (real life) taken him ahead of Darnold and Allen. He can change games but he won't be turning into a pocket passer. It's not who he is.

jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jenkins.math » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:20 pm

Space Cowboy wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:03 pm Can't fit a square peg in a round hole.

I like the guy, in real life and in fantasy. I would have (real life) taken him ahead of Darnold and Allen. He can change games but he won't be turning into a pocket passer. It's not who he is.
This is where I disagree. QBs that can run are awesome for fantasy. The list of running QBs that produced QB1 seasons early in their career is crazy. Even Vince Young was a QB1 his first year. The rushing yards and rushing TDs just gives them such a nice floor.

The issue is longevity with these guys both in real life and fantasy. If you can't sit in the pocket and go through your reads you won't last very long in the NFL. Especially if you take a bunch of extra hits (RG3) and injuries start to mount. Cam looks like the oldest 30 year old QB ever. Then you add in the skill set as a passer not developing enough to win a Super Bowl and teams move on from you. You may raise the team's record to respectability, but along with that comes new expectations. Once you fall short of those new ones your replacement is being drafted or signed. Kaepernick made it to a SB and then a couple years later was done as a starter.

When it comes to mobile QBs I look at most of them on the same fantasy timeline as RBs. They need to produce on their rookie deal and then I'm cashing out before they come crashing down to earth.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:12 pm

Space Cowboy wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:03 pm Can't fit a square peg in a round hole.

These days the modern QB’s are mobile.

Players like Lamar, Allen, Murray, Dak and Daniel are just more mobile than most.

Lamar is developing quite nicely. He is becoming a significant weapon.

Mahomes is also quite mobile it’s just that he has a cannon with the precision of a guided missile. No real sense in comparing him to any other QB at this point. It’s obvious he is already a generational talent but this Group of QB’s looks great.

The NFL is in good hands as the old guard fades away.

Who knows maybe in our lifetime even Brady Goat will retire. 😁
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

jcc6fd
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jcc6fd » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:02 pm

Not sure if this was said about the KC game but for those who didn’t watch and are looking at the box score two of Lamar’s longest completions were bad decisions that were either lucky, a product of terrible defense or both. One a blind desperation heave while being sacked, and the other a pass that crossed the entire field that somehow wasn’t intercepted.

Not arguing he has been bad this year or that he can’t develop, just that his passing numbers from week 3, while not great, should actually have been worse
10 Team Half PPR Scoring SF
QB: Mahomes, Hurts, Minshew
RB: Kamara, K. Hunt, Warren, Bigsby, D. Cook, Jamaal Williams, J. Wilson, McLaughlin, McKinnon, J. Kelley
WR: A.J. Brown, Diggs, K. Allen, C. Watson, Cooks, Pickens, W. Robinson
TE: Kelce, J. Smith, Musgrave

Tvols
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tvols » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:07 pm

I was looking more towards an improvement in going through his reads and throws .. the low % of completion when facing anything like a real nfl defense he struggles ..as a runner don’t think anyone would argue he isn’t a great runner for sure .. time will tell if the passes get better that is where a lot of see that may be a work in progress .. running he can get it done but putting a team on his back passing to get back in a game maybe where the problem comes .. thanks for the insight on yesterday game
16 teamer
QB T Law, R Wilson
rb- Mixon,pollard, J Hill, conner,
WR-Chase,Lamb,T Hill, R Bateman, C sutton, boyd
Te Kelce, Waller, Fant,Evertt,
1qb,2-3rb,3-5wr,1-2 TE
Full IDP

Team 2 recent rod 16 team SF/TEP(2pt PPR) 1-2 QB, 2-3 RB, 3-5 wrs and 1-2 TE full IDP.
QB A rod, M willis and H Hooker
rb not squat T Bigsby, Chris R, Z evans. J kelly, C patterson, and J mcluaghlin.
WRs chase, J Addison, T McLaurin, C ridgley , A Losivas, M hollins
TE Kelce, D Belligner, T Conklin

Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Patsfan86 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:17 am

KCs defense is not as bad as everyone thinks. I think Lamars issue here was he overthought a lot of things and felt pressure to keep up with KCs offense. The O line also did not help at all. He needs to play his style and let the big throws come. That whole game was not his style. It was all deep balls that he was overthrowing because he was rushed. They should have just slowed the game down and used Ingram and some designed runs for Lamar then that would have opened up the field for Andrews and would have made for big gains by Brown. While Lamar didnt play great i also think the Ravens set him up for failure.

mild
Legend
Legend

"Lamar Jackson can Pass and the NFL is doomed"

Postby mild » Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:08 pm

For any left on the "talented athlete, not a QB" ship... perhaps Brett Kollmann can sway you. Or perhaps you just like swimming.

https://youtu.be/x-JU81dYZIc

The Mea Culpa tour is starting, and I'm really enjoying it.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Re: "Lamar Jackson can Pass and the NFL is doomed"

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:37 pm

mild wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:08 pm For any left on the "talented athlete, not a QB" ship... perhaps Brett Kollmann can sway you. Or perhaps you just like swimming.

https://youtu.be/x-JU81dYZIc

The Mea Culpa tour is starting, and I'm really enjoying it.
This Brett Kollmann?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpVERe-MqOI

LOL.

I actually like Brett, but he wasn't exactly right about this. Lamar has definitely improved, but he still needs to show consistency. Last week was not a great week, against a decent opponent for the first time. He's still very young, though, so no reason to think he can't continue to improve.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:47 pm

Haha, I nearly went with a more conciliatory "Say what you want about Brett Kollmann..." but hey, I felt like celebrating.

To his Lamar video itself, though - anything in there you don't particularly agree with? He was still putting correct placement on balls he wouldn't have even attempted last year. Lamar's Year 1 -> 2 mechanics and improvements have been staggering, you've got to admit.

Not bad for a 22 year old RB.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:00 pm

mild wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:47 pm Haha, I nearly went with a more conciliatory "Say what you want about Brett Kollmann..." but hey, I felt like celebrating.

To his Lamar video itself, though - anything in there you don't particularly agree with? He was still putting correct placement on balls he wouldn't have even attempted last year. Lamar's Year 1 -> 2 mechanics and improvements have been staggering, you've got to admit.

Not bad for a 22 year old RB.
I concur. He's much better. Interested to see his progression.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

notweswelker
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby notweswelker » Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:11 pm

He looks good, close to what RGIII was doing. My concerns are even more with Jackson.
RGIII could throw at a level that is right about the height of what Jackson can reasonably attain.
The questions will arise once LJax starts to accumulate these hits and people remember why the average RB career is 2.5 seasons.
I've got one share of Jackson and I'll be selling either during this season or immediately afterwards. If he can stay healthy I full expect him to be a top 5 fantasy qb.

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:32 pm

notweswelker wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:11 pm He looks good, close to what RGIII was doing. My concerns are even more with Jackson.
RGIII could throw at a level that is right about the height of what Jackson can reasonably attain.
The questions will arise once LJax starts to accumulate these hits and people remember why the average RB career is 2.5 seasons.
I've got one share of Jackson and I'll be selling either during this season or immediately afterwards. If he can stay healthy I full expect him to be a top 5 fantasy qb.
RG3 was far more reckless running the ball and took more hits than Lamar. Lamar has been very good at getting down or out of bounds, he really hasn't taken more hits on average than other QBs. Watson and Wentz are taking way more hits than Lamar, but I never see that brought up around here as a knock on them or their value. The biggest hits Lamar takes aren't when he's running, they're when he's in the pocket just like most QBs.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:15 am

I am not 100% but I'm pretty sure one of the reasons the Ravens signed RGIII was to mentor Lamar Jackson in what happens if you do take too many of those types of hits. Plus of course he could step in and be a decent backup in a familiar system.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:20 am

ArrylT wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:15 am I am not 100% but I'm pretty sure one of the reasons the Ravens signed RGIII was to mentor Lamar Jackson in what happens if you do take too many of those types of hits. Plus of course he could step in and be a decent backup in a familiar system.
I'd say Lamar was about 80% of why RG3 was brought in... Although the Ravens would never openly say that.

The other 20% ended up with RG3 actually performing really well preseason 2018 and earned a roster spot as a 3rd QB, which up until then, the Ravens never did

TheNuts
Captain
Captain

Postby TheNuts » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:43 pm

Truth, Lamar Jackson will never be a good passer.
12 team ppr 4 point pass td

Murray, Minshew
Singletary, Lindsay, Samuels, Ty Johnson
Chark, Arob, Woods, Diontae, Nkeal, Lazard, Conley, Cole, Dorsett
Higbee, Jarwin, Dissly
Gould, Patriots

14 team ppr superflex, .2 ppc, WR 25% ppr bonus, TE ppr bonus 75%

Mayfield, Minshew, Trubisky, Foles, Hill
Djohns, Singletary, Fournette, Harris, Armstead, Ogunbawale, Samuels
Julio, Arob, Woods, Sims Jr, Claypool, Duvernay, Isabella, Conley, Tyrell
Waller, Hurst, Jarwin, Boyle

12 team ppr 4 point pass td, superflex, 1.5 TE ppr

Goff, Minshew, Hill, Alllen, Walker
Chubb, Taylor, Henry, Singletary, David Johnson, Damien Harris, Hyde, Boone, Blasingame
Tyreek, Boyd, Diontae, Marvin Jones, Pittman, Nkeal, Duvernay, Sims Jr, Stills
Waller, Higbee, Arnold, Olsen, Parkinson, Sample

20 team ppr 6 point pass td, .05 point per return yard

Matt Ryan
Fournette, Singletary, Harris, Cohen, Duke Johnson, Trey Edmunds
Davante Adams, Tyreek, Sutton, Boyd, Dorsett, Tyrell
Kittle, Jarwin, Oliver