Have We Moved On From Big and Fast?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Have We Moved On From Big and Fast?

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun May 19, 2019 8:30 pm

Weknownothing86 wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 1:22 pm Read an article stating that because of the new rule where you can challenge PI, the big strong physical WRs are going to come back. It specifically stated this being Bill Bs strategy and why he drafted Harry. Not sure if i agree, and the source is less than stellar, but will definitely interesting and a possibility in my mind.
How many times a game can you challenge PI, though? Two. 3 at most, and then you can't challenge anything else. Then the reviews inside two minutes, but it's not enough to change draft strategy or an evaluation on a player. Nobody is drafting a WR because you can challenge PI. Whoever made that statement is talking out or their rear end. It's an absurd statement to make.

I also disagree with the sentiment the article presents. If anything, WR's already get the benefit of the doubt more often than not. I could see just as many PI calls being overturned, which I believe you can challenge as well.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

jetsfan5757
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby jetsfan5757 » Thu May 23, 2019 8:06 am

I think big and fast will always be an advantage, but small and quick has been helped by rules and schemes like the spread.

When evaluating players I definitely dock the guys in the 5'8 to 5'10 range a bit. 6 ft and up I don't value additional height anymore. I do value demonstrated red zone or jump ball prowess, but not just height that should theoretically translate into that production. Having been burned by Stephen Hill and others, I also don't rush to draft guys like DK that haven't shown good route running just based on being physical freaks.
Dynasty League (25 man rosters + 2 IR, non-PPR scoring. QB/3RB/3WR/2TE/K/DB/LB/DL no flex)

QB (1): Herbert, Lawrence, Darnold
RB (3): N. Chubb, D. Henry, J. Taylor, JK Dobbins, Pollard, Singletary, L. Murray
WR (3): D. Hopkins, D. Adams, M. Evans, D.J. Moore, DJ Chark, B. Aiyuk, J. Smith-Schuster, R Bateman, E. Moore
TE (2): I. Smith Jr, H. Henry, Schultz, Tremble

K (1): M. Crosby

DB (1): J. Adams
LB (1): F. Warner
DL (1): D. Lawrence

PS: I often don't revisit a thread after posting. Send me a message if you ever want further thoughts on a comment I made.

kamihamster
Captain
Captain

Postby kamihamster » Thu May 23, 2019 11:55 am

The rules have made being small not as much of a knock. WRs are shinking and so are all the defensive positions. We see hybrid safeties and linebackers to help with coverage with these small quick guys. I think that is why Bellchick is changing the Pats into a run first team. Smaller guys aren't as good at stopping the run. But I dont see things so that big WRs will be the coveted thing. Big always helps, fast always helps, but todays game is about quickness. Now if the WRs get so small that they can get jammed on the line easily with a larger CB, it may swing things back toward big WRs.
NTL (est 2016): (8-0)
12-team, PPR, 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,1FLX
QB: A.Rodgers, D.Jones
RB: A.Kamara, K.Johnson, K.Drake, Da.Henderson, C.Anderson, K.Ballage, T.Montgomery, J.Wilson, D.Ogunbowale, Dw.Washington, J.Kelly, P.Perkins, A.Blue
WR: O.Beckham, D.Hopkins, C.Kupp, D.Chark, R.Foster, A.Wilson, J.Reynolds, S.Morgan, B.Pringle, O.Johnson, D.Williams, D.Willis
TE: J.Cook, M.Andrews, A.Shaheen, B.Jarwin
2020 Picks: 3, 4
2021 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4
2022 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4

Home League (est 2014): 2018 Champ (6-2)
12-team, NPPR-6ptTD, 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,2FLX,1K,1DST,4IDP
QB: P.Mahomes, J.Goff
RB: D.Cook, A.Kamara, J.Mixon, M.Breida, S.Michel, F.Gore, D.Guice, K.Ballage, D.Ogunbowale, R.Bonnafon, J.Scarlett, W.Gallman, J.Kelly, J.Wilson
WR: D.Adams, J.Smith-Schuster, T.Boyd, A.Robinson, L.Fitzgerald, Jo.Brown, M.Valdes-Scantiling, K.Harmon, Z.Pascal
TE: E.Engram, A.Hooper
DST: NOS
K: W.Lutz
2020 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
2021 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Thu May 23, 2019 12:28 pm

Not sure how some are quantifying "big and fast" but in the 1st 4 rounds of this past draft

2 WR's were 5'9"
3 WR's were 5'11"
3 WR's were 6'0"
3 WR's were 6'2"
5 WR's were 6'3" plus
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Patsfan86 » Thu May 23, 2019 12:40 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 8:30 pm
Weknownothing86 wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 1:22 pm Read an article stating that because of the new rule where you can challenge PI, the big strong physical WRs are going to come back. It specifically stated this being Bill Bs strategy and why he drafted Harry. Not sure if i agree, and the source is less than stellar, but will definitely interesting and a possibility in my mind.
How many times a game can you challenge PI, though? Two. 3 at most, and then you can't challenge anything else. Then the reviews inside two minutes, but it's not enough to change draft strategy or an evaluation on a player. Nobody is drafting a WR because you can challenge PI. Whoever made that statement is talking out or their rear end. It's an absurd statement to make.

I also disagree with the sentiment the article presents. If anything, WR's already get the benefit of the doubt more often than not. I could see just as many PI calls being overturned, which I believe you can challenge as well.
Yup, thats why i said im not sure if i agree. Bill B didnt draft Harry for this reason he drafted Harry to be the big guy that can replace Gronk and get YAC. I think what teams ideally want are a big guy who can be physical and make the tough catches AND a small fast guy who can blow the game open on one play, but its hard to get two of these types of players on one team. And i would think small fast guys are more abundant than the other guys, especially in todays football world where no one wants to be as physical as they once were.

DelawareRiverEagles
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby DelawareRiverEagles » Thu May 23, 2019 2:33 pm

haven't moved on, but it's more about quickness, agility, and how shifty you are. Gotta be able to run good routes though, that's probably the biggest thing. Unless you are looking at this like a Madden football game, in which case, the general term of "awareness" encompasses route running, so is therefore more valuable.