More 2020 Hype: "If You Need A RB or WR, this is the draft for you."

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Johnny B. Goode
Starter
Starter

Re: More 2020 Hype: "If You Need A RB or WR, this is the draft for you."

Postby Johnny B. Goode » Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:23 pm

DJB wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:02 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:45 am Hearing Matt Waldman has Swift outside his top 5 backs.
:lol:

That guy needs to go back to doing what he did before . Scouting guys and not making massive statements one way or the other to try and be the smartest guy in the room and look like a "genius"
Post of the day

Hes the same guy who said Jamaal Williams was going to be great, and Hakeem Butler was his best rated WR ever...

He's just as bad as the others he works with who try to make some ridiculous bold claim and pimp "their guy" in order to look like the smartest guy in the room

When Waldman speaks I roll my eyes
Last edited by Johnny B. Goode on Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stoneghost28
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby stoneghost28 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:44 pm

Used to pay him a lot of attention when I first started playing dynasty, but I've completely moved off. Still has his share of great calls over the years, his semi-nutty Chubb maybe over Barkley view point no longer looks clinically insane, just wrong, and his one boiler room with Chubb's athleticism (some 4 minute thing) featured a hilarious freeze frame that really captured the idea that Chubb was back, so I always appreciated that, but yeah, he's got his way of doing things, and sometimes he's right and plenty of times he's wrong, which is pretty much everyone else as well to varying degrees.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:17 pm

stoneghost28 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:44 pm Used to pay him a lot of attention when I first started playing dynasty, but I've completely moved off. Still has his share of great calls over the years, his semi-nutty Chubb maybe over Barkley view point no longer looks clinically insane, just wrong, and his one boiler room with Chubb's athleticism (some 4 minute thing) featured a hilarious freeze frame that really captured the idea that Chubb was back, so I always appreciated that, but yeah, he's got his way of doing things, and sometimes he's right and plenty of times he's wrong, which is pretty much everyone else as well to varying degrees.
He did say he'd take Barkley over Chubb because of PPR, but thought Chubb was the best runner, I believe.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:26 pm

bjd5211 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:22 pm
Lord_Varys wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:15 pm
Jigga94 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:36 pm Re: college mileage... I know a plus for Jacobs last year for some (probably the same people saying JT has had too many touches) was that he had a lesser college workload. Personally, I was more concerned that he didn't show he could handle the full workload but it seems to have worked out for him at least
Except he didn't work out. He was hurt by the end of the year.

Don't think it'll be a long term issue. But it was a flag for me that he hadn't yet proven he can handle the bell cow workload. Still an unanswered question.
He just suffered one injury that could happen to anybody, and played through it as much as he could, but obviously needed to take some time off. He didn't have different issues popping up every couple of weeks, and I don't see the shoulder being a chronic problem for him.
Jacobs was willing to play, they shut him down.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:02 pm

Which speaks to his toughness. If those games really mattered he would have been out there, but they wisely sat him out. Broken bones typically aren't anything to worry about by themselves long-term (minus the obvious Alex Smith type situation), just kind of freak accidents usually, and once it's healed that's the end of it. It's muscle/tendon/ligament/brain injuries that usually tend to become reoccurring and problematic long-term.

skinfanjon
Role Player
Role Player

Postby skinfanjon » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:20 pm

Johnny B. Goode wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:23 pm
DJB wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:02 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:45 am Hearing Matt Waldman has Swift outside his top 5 backs.
:lol:

That guy needs to go back to doing what he did before . Scouting guys and not making massive statements one way or the other to try and be the smartest guy in the room and look like a "genius"
Post of the day

Hes the same guy who said Jamaal Williams was going to be great, and Hakeem Butler was his best rated WR ever...

He's just as bad as the others he works with who try to make some ridiculous bold claim and pimp "their guy" in order to look like the smartest guy in the room

When Waldman speaks I roll my eyes
Man, you are totally right. Imagine dying on hill after hill for Harry, JJAW, and Isabella last year. Or proclaiming Darrell Henderson the 1.01 over and over.

Oh wait, that was you. Sorry got mixed up.

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby AussieMate » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:36 pm

stoneghost28 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:50 pm
killer_of_giants wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:41 am who cares about college carries, most of these backs barely get touched, look at those lanes they get!

also, when i pick a RB i expect 4-5 years of production at best, everything else is just a bonus, and a lot of touches don't shorten careers that much.
That is pretty funny. I don't understand why the highlights people put together, over, and over, and over again clips in which the selling points for their favorite guys merely advertise great play design and exquisite blocking (and the speed/acceleration of their guy). It gets incredibly tiresome to just want to get a feel for a back and see like 15 50 yard untouched runs as a visual metaphor for their supposed talent. One of these days these youtubers are gonna figure out that the videos they're making are advertising blocking, and coaching far more than the RB himself.
I always have the same thought, can't stand watching youtube highlights when I want to see a player on the field. They are basically useless, you really need to pick a bunch of games and watch every snap for that player.
I remember turning on a Love highlight reel the other year because he was going to be as good as CMAC and every run was a giant hole and him running really fast.

stoneghost28
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby stoneghost28 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:26 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:17 pm
stoneghost28 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:44 pm Used to pay him a lot of attention when I first started playing dynasty, but I've completely moved off. Still has his share of great calls over the years, his semi-nutty Chubb maybe over Barkley view point no longer looks clinically insane, just wrong, and his one boiler room with Chubb's athleticism (some 4 minute thing) featured a hilarious freeze frame that really captured the idea that Chubb was back, so I always appreciated that, but yeah, he's got his way of doing things, and sometimes he's right and plenty of times he's wrong, which is pretty much everyone else as well to varying degrees.
He did say he'd take Barkley over Chubb because of PPR, but thought Chubb was the best runner, I believe.
Thanks for the correction, that definitely sounds right, now that I think about it.

Kmani6
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Kmani6 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:23 pm

Interestingly, Waldman said that JT is a 2 down back. He views him more like Carson than Chubb. He said he has significant flaws as a pass protector, and that there’s a good chance NFL teams restrict him to the 2 down role, while having a scat back play the majority of 3rd downs. That’s kind of upsetting for a potential number 1 pick at RB.
Dynasty Team 1:

10 Man, Full PPR, .2 PPC, Double Flex

QB: Kyler Murray
RB: Saquon Barkley , Breece Hall, Swift, Dobbins, Gibson, CEH
WR: Devante Adams, Tyreek Hill, Jamarr Chase, DK Metcalf, Devonta Smith, Jerry Jeudy
TE: Travis Kelce

2023 Picks: 1.4, 1.8, 2.9, 3.2, 3.6, 3.8

Dynasty Team 2:

10 Man, Half PPR, Double Flex

QB: Tua
RB: Barkley , Mixon, Javonte, Jacobs, CEH
WR: AJB, Tyreek, Lamb, Aiyuk, Bateman
TE: Kittle

2022 Picks: 1.5, 1.6, 2.3
2023 Picks: 2 x 1st, 2 x 2nd

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby nathanq42 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:13 am

Pairing Taylor with a "3rd down" RB like white or Ekeler could be deadly tho... Imagine the RPOs you could do while having both RBs in the field...
12 Team 1 ppr .1 points per carry
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
TE Dalton Kincaid, Foster Moreau
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

Lord_Varys
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Lord_Varys » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:00 am

Kmani6 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:23 pm Interestingly, Waldman said that JT is a 2 down back. He views him more like Carson than Chubb. He said he has significant flaws as a pass protector, and that there’s a good chance NFL teams restrict him to the 2 down role, while having a scat back play the majority of 3rd downs. That’s kind of upsetting for a potential number 1 pick at RB.
This is why I have Dobbins as my RB1.

Swift is a little more elusive, but Dobbins regularly makes guys miss, too, and he has better vision and ability to setup a defender.

Taylor is a better pure runner, but Dobbins doesn't fumble, he can house home runs better than Swift. and he can stay in on all three downs. He'll catch more than just screens or check downs.

Swift is a better natural receiver, but Dobbins is a fantastic pass protector, route runner, and receiver (CFP Semifinal be damned).

Dobbins isn't best in class at anything, most likely. Taylor I think will have better athleticism. Swift has better change of direction. But Dobbins is so damn good in all areas, and he doesn't really have a single flaw that you can hold onto and gripe about.

Johnny B. Goode
Starter
Starter

Postby Johnny B. Goode » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:25 am

Lord_Varys wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:00 am
Kmani6 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:23 pm Interestingly, Waldman said that JT is a 2 down back. He views him more like Carson than Chubb. He said he has significant flaws as a pass protector, and that there’s a good chance NFL teams restrict him to the 2 down role, while having a scat back play the majority of 3rd downs. That’s kind of upsetting for a potential number 1 pick at RB.

Swift is a little more elusive, but Dobbins regularly makes guys miss, too, and he has better vision and ability to setup a defender.

Taylor is a better pure runner, but Dobbins doesn't fumble, he can house home runs better than Swift. and he can stay in on all three downs. He'll catch more than just screens or check downs.

Swift is a better natural receiver, but Dobbins is a fantastic pass protector, route runner, and receiver (CFP Semifinal be damned).

Dobbins isn't best in class at anything, most likely. Taylor I think will have better athleticism. Swift has better change of direction. But Dobbins is so damn good in all areas, and he doesn't really have a single flaw that you can hold onto and gripe about.
I watched that video too and I disagree with Waldman a lot on that statement. As a guy who watched almost every Badger game these last 2 seasons, Taylor can be a 3 down back. However, IMO, he is the best pure runner, and it's what he does best. He is an average pass catcher and an average pass blocker. Doesnt mean he is and at it.

Dobbins is an interesting take, because you're right- he isnt best in class at anything but he doesnt have an issue you can point to as a yellow or red flag. I'm not sure he has the ceiling Swift and Taylor do though.

Lord_Varys
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Lord_Varys » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:29 am

Johnny B. Goode wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:25 am

I watched that video too and I disagree with Waldman a lot on that statement. As a guy who watched almost every Badger game these last 2 seasons, Taylor can be a 3 down back. However, IMO, he is the beat pure runner.

Dobbins is an interesting take, because you're right- he isnt best in class at anything but he doesnt have an issue you can point to as a yellow or red flag. I'm not sure he has the ceiling Swift and Taylor do though.
Bingo.

Interested in your take on Taylor... is he as bad in pass-pro as they say? Honestly not something I've watched. I saw him make some good plays as a receiver this year, and in the open field. But if he can't pass protect then that's really going to limit his opportunities.

Kmani6
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Kmani6 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:06 am

Lord_Varys wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:29 am

I watched that video too and I disagree with Waldman a lot on that statement. As a guy who watched almost every Badger game these last 2 seasons, Taylor can be a 3 down back. However, IMO, he is the beat pure runner.

Bingo.

Interested in your take on Taylor... is he as bad in pass-pro as they say? Honestly not something I've watched. I saw him make some good plays as a receiver this year, and in the open field. But if he can't pass protect then that's really going to limit his opportunities.
Agreed. He didn’t have to many receptions in college, but I’m not really worried about that at all. Many RBs have his college receiving production and transition just fine. However, I would trust Waldman’s ability to determine who can pass protect. His statement at the very least is saying JT is underwhelming at that skill compared to his peers, which is quite a big red flag for staying on the field on 3rd down in the NFL. JT can absolutely be a very good pure runner and a great 2 down back, but we really don’t want him to be a Carson or a Mack in terms of workload because that limits his ceiling by quite a bit (although they are both very good football players). Unfortunately, I agree with Nathan and waldman in that if an NFL team does pair him with a nice 3rd down scat back, that would be a lethal run game set in place.

What’s interesting is that this class was initially thought to be stacked at RB about this time last year, but it almost seems like the talent may underperform that of the 2015,2016,2017, and 2018 classes. I was sure at least one of Etienne, Harris, and Chubba would have hit as well, so it doesn’t help that they all returned. On the flip side, the WR class is so stacked I can’t remember one deeper than 2014.
Dynasty Team 1:

10 Man, Full PPR, .2 PPC, Double Flex

QB: Kyler Murray
RB: Saquon Barkley , Breece Hall, Swift, Dobbins, Gibson, CEH
WR: Devante Adams, Tyreek Hill, Jamarr Chase, DK Metcalf, Devonta Smith, Jerry Jeudy
TE: Travis Kelce

2023 Picks: 1.4, 1.8, 2.9, 3.2, 3.6, 3.8

Dynasty Team 2:

10 Man, Half PPR, Double Flex

QB: Tua
RB: Barkley , Mixon, Javonte, Jacobs, CEH
WR: AJB, Tyreek, Lamb, Aiyuk, Bateman
TE: Kittle

2022 Picks: 1.5, 1.6, 2.3
2023 Picks: 2 x 1st, 2 x 2nd

Johnny B. Goode
Starter
Starter

Postby Johnny B. Goode » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:13 am

Lord_Varys wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:29 am

Bingo.

Waldman makes the claim JT cant pass block and offers one example from one game to state this.

Wisconsin isnt a pass heavy team to start with. Taylor faces a lot of stacked boxes because of this. Especially in 2018 with Hornibrook under center. Hes terrible. So during pass plays defenses would pin their ears back and come running. A better QB and a more pass happy scheme might yield different results, but that's all pure speculation.

I have my own concerns about JT but pass blocking he seems average to me. To say hes bad at it I think is a poor generalization. JT is good at a lot of things, and his biggest weaknesses, IMO, are fumbles and pass protection. He is still fone as a pass protector, but he isnt as good as, let's say Zack Moss. There were very few games I watched where I didnt come away feeling JT was the best player on the field.

IMO Taylor and Dobbins are the 2 RBs in this draft class I see being 3 down backs right away. Swift it may depend where he is drafted. Going down further Moss is a D Montgomery clone and Akers struggled with pass protection (with Hornibrook behind center, mind you). Akers and Moss both have potential to be 3 dlwn.backs, but I have major concerns in today's NFL and how they use their RBs that this will happen for them