StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: More 2020 Hype: "If You Need A RB or WR, this is the draft for you."

Postby StripesOfKC » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:41 am

jenkins.math wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:02 am
FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:47 am
jenkins.math wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:35 am

So is Josh Allen, but he is a QB1 because of his rushing ability. I expect Herbert to be very similar in that regard. If the Chargers are planning to roll with Tyrod and Herbert I am expecting to see some RPO's and utilization of their legs. That's fantasy gold and we haven't even talked about the weapons the Chargers already have rostered for him. If they utlize Herbert's legs it won't shock me at all if he becomes the best fantasy QB from this class.

If you don't use your legs, then you better be Peyton Manning levels of great to be a top FF QB regularly.
Problem with that is, if you don't become a good passer, you usually don't win, and don't get a 2nd contract. See Trubisky. He had some rushing ability, but he stinks.
Herbert is considerably better than Trubisky. I don't think Herbert is some slam dunk prospect or anything, but I would much rather draft him than Tua. Especially factoring in the price differential between the two.

As far as the 2nd contract comment; I don't worry about that. I view dynasty in 3 year windows. I know it's fun to say "I've got my QB for the next 15 years" but how many people can really say they have been starting the same QB for over a decade? I'm willing to bet large sums of money more have changed their QB than started the same guy over the last decade. It sounds good though, similar to "my college RB has low mileage".

So if Herbert can give me 3 solid years of FF QB play, I'm happy. If I feel like he isn't a long term answer I can move him then and still gain some value as long as he has been FF relevant. If he does use his legs a lot then you want to move that guy anyway since the mobile QBs don't last 15 years anyway.
I honestly am more impressed by Trubisky’s college tape. Now my record is far from perfect but Herbert is one of the easiest to predict busts I have seen in a long time. And I don’t have any proof but I was always higher/more optimistic on Josh Allen than I am on Herbert. At least Allen can go through reads and made progress as a passer without any special weapons (until this year) or O Line.

Can’t see how anybody would like him over Tua. The guy has been slicing apart the LSUs and Auburns of the world while Herbert was getting blasted by Arizona and putting up 7 points in a bowl game (not the biggest Tua fan either tbh but he is an entirely different caliber of prospect/talent/player to me)
I really think Herbert is going to get the Chargers FO and coaching staff canned. Will be happy to eat my words if wrong

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:46 am

StripesOfKC wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:32 am
Ice wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:14 am
wickerkat1212 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:36 pm Good stuff here. I thought Herbert might be like a Big Ben type. There is some love here on DLF from the rankings.
Herbert is the guy many love to hate this time of year. He played in a conservative run based system with pretty bad weapons overall yet still had a 64% career completion percentage, 66.8% this past year.

He has a big arm and great size like Ben. Herbert is quite a bit more athletic. Climbs the pocket well and has way better touch than some give him credit. His actual throwing mechanics are excellent and he can change his arm angles when needed. Base is a little wide sometimes but he can spin it with effortless power. Any minor flaws are easily corrected.

He actually flashed RPO talent late this year. Really good wheels for a big QB.

Dominate in Rose Bowl. Senior Bowl MVP. He opened a few eyes in how good he looked with better talent. Star of the combine and super smart. He has a solid floor and iMO the highest ceiling in this class.

I took him 1.6 in a 16 team SF with no reservations. He was top 6 pick in this draft because the potential jumps off the page. With Ruggs on the board, who I think will be a stud, it was a hard choice for me but the given I like both, in that size league he was the pick due to position scarcity.

Should start by mid season
“Bad weapons” Oregon is a college team stocked with 4 and 5 star talent in a conference where only USC recruits like that. His weapons were not as good as Tua’s and Burrow’s but he played far weaker competition.
Outside of Herbert going 6th overall in the 2020 NFL draft, who were the skill position players he threw to drafted in 2020? Seems to me a LB in the 4th and lineman in the 5th and 6th rounds were the only other players drafted.
Last edited by Ice on Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Postby wickerkat1212 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:49 am

wickerkat1212 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:36 pm Good stuff here. I thought Herbert might be like a Big Ben type. There is some love here on DLF from the rankings.
Herbert is the guy many love to hate this time of year. He played in a conservative run based system with pretty bad weapons overall yet still had a 64% career completion percentage, 66.8% this past year.

He has a big arm and great size like Ben. Herbert is quite a bit more athletic. Climbs the pocket well and has way better touch than some give him credit. His actual throwing mechanics are excellent and he can change his arm angles when needed. Base is a little wide sometimes but he can spin it with effortless power. Any minor flaws are easily corrected.

Dominate in Rose Bowl. Senior Bowl MVP. He opened a few eyes in how good he looked with better talent. Star of the combine and super smart. He has a solid floor and iMO the highest ceiling in this class.

I took him 1.6 in a 16 team SF with no reservations. He was top 6 pick in this draft because the potential jumps off the page. With Ruggs on the board, who I think will be a stud, it was a hard choice for me but the given I like both, in that size league he was the pick due to position scarcity.

Thanks. I like him in the 2.08 - 2.10 range where I have picks, assuming the top RB/WR are all gone.
D3:
QB—Allen, Pickett RB—Kamara, Jacobs, ZWhite, Edwards, Ford, Warren WR—Lamb, Olave, DJM, Puka, Tillman, Marshall, Jefferson, Robinson, Tucker TE—Ferguson, Schoon, Likely, Smith, Washington, Kraft PK—Prater DEF—BAL

D4:
QB—TLaw, JimmyG, Tannehill, AOC, Hall RB—Bijan, Kamara, Conner, Gainwell, Gainwell, Foreman, ZMoss, Chandler, McLaughlin, Murray WR—Jefferson, Hill, Adams, Allen, Tillman, Woods TE—Kelce, Kmet, Conklin PK—Butker DEF—PIT

Superflex 1:
QB—Mahomes, Rodgers, Mayfield RB—Bijan, Kamara, Allgeier, Singletary, Mostert, BRob, Warren, Rodriguez, Spiller WR—Chase, DJM, Devonta, MBrown, Myers, Reynold, Jones TE—Kmet, Likely, Kraft, Conklin, Hurst, Hudson PK—Elliott DEF—PHI

Superflex 2:
QB: Goff, Cousins, Wentz, White; RB: Bijan, BRob, ZWhite, Allgeier, McLaughlin WR: DJM, Higgins, JSN, Downs, RMoore, Atwell, SMoore, PCampbell, DPJ, ATP, Hutchinson, Iosivas, Devante, CJones TE: Ferguson, Kraft, Trautman, Tremble

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:53 am

Ice wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:46 am
StripesOfKC wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:32 am

“Bad weapons” Oregon is a college team stocked with 4 and 5 star talent in a conference where only USC recruits like that. His weapons were not as good as Tua’s and Burrow’s but he played far weaker competition.
Outside of Herbert going 6th overall in the 2020 NFL draft, who were the skill position players he threw to drafted again? Seems to me a LB in the 4th and lineman in the 5th and 6th rounds.
IMO Weapons who aren’t NFL caliber are not necessarily bad and just from playing at Oregon he had a considerable talent advantage in every game he played except for perennially incompetent USC and an Auburn team that made him look like Trubisky—most just the tape from that game clinched my view of him

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:03 am

No worries, Think I will trust my eyes on throwing motion and the Chargers organization. Not sure how Trubisky entered the conversation but these two have nothing in common.

I wouldn't put too much stock in bad games. I am a Tech Alum and Mahomes had a 13-16 record in college. Bad defense usually but he had his share of stinkers.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:09 am

Ice wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:03 am No worries, Think I will trust my eyes on throwing motion and the Chargers organization. Not sure how Trubisky entered the conversation but these two have nothing in common.

I wouldn't put too much stock in bad games. I am a Tech Alum and Mahomes had a 13-16 record in college. Bad defense usually but he had his share of stinkers.
True. I was a bit upset the Chiefs traded up so much for Mahomes. I was fine with him pre draft at 27 but giving up so much felt like a huge gamble. But I was willing to overlook some of Mahomes’s flaws due to lack of talent (though the 66-10 to Iowa State still gave me an uneasy feeling), as I was for Josh Allen and Love to a degree. I just don’t think someone playing at Oregon should get that same pass; but again, nothing is a guarantee and he certainly has the physical traits

joeya2001
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby joeya2001 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:34 am

1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR 1TE, Super Flex, 2 Flex Spots. 10 Team Dynasty PPR

2016 Champs 2019 Runner up 2020 Champs

QB- Lamar Jackson, Jordan Love
RB- Alvin Kamara, AJ Dillion
WR- Christian Kirk, Michael Pittman, Aiyuk, Alec Pierce, DJ Chare, Terrace Marshall, Metchie,
TE- George Kittle, Darren Waller, Greg Dortch.

Team 2 10 Team 1 QB 2 RB 3 WR 1 TE 2 Flex 2 SF

2020 3rd place Year 1
(This is a rebuild team selling vets)
QB Joe Burrow, Kenny Pickett, Geno,
RB AJ Dillon, Josh Jacobs, Tony Pollard,
WR Tee Higgins, Sutton, HollywoodTerry McLaurin, DJM, Ju-Ju, Hodgins,
TE Hock, Andrews, Kyle Pitts, Otton, Ertz
Picks
2023 4 1st 5 2nd
2024 3rd
“Not good enough to count on as a starter, but too good to drop, so they clog my bench.” dlf_mikeh

MattDeezy
Starter
Starter

Postby MattDeezy » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:06 am

joeya2001 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:34 am https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/news/25 ... hefter.php

this concern anyone?
This came out before the draft and Denver wasn’t too concerned fwiw.
Team
1Q|2R|3W|1T|2FLX - 12 Team PPR

QB: Love, AR, Cousins, Flacco
RB: CMC, Bijan, Ford, Mitchell, Pierce, Kendre, Tucker
WR: Deebo, Wilson, Olave, Puka, Flowers, Addison, Jeudy, Jamo, Burks
TE: McBride, Kincaid, Fant, Bellinger

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:54 pm

StripesOfKC wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:41 am
jenkins.math wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:02 am
FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:47 am

Problem with that is, if you don't become a good passer, you usually don't win, and don't get a 2nd contract. See Trubisky. He had some rushing ability, but he stinks.
Herbert is considerably better than Trubisky. I don't think Herbert is some slam dunk prospect or anything, but I would much rather draft him than Tua. Especially factoring in the price differential between the two.

As far as the 2nd contract comment; I don't worry about that. I view dynasty in 3 year windows. I know it's fun to say "I've got my QB for the next 15 years" but how many people can really say they have been starting the same QB for over a decade? I'm willing to bet large sums of money more have changed their QB than started the same guy over the last decade. It sounds good though, similar to "my college RB has low mileage".

So if Herbert can give me 3 solid years of FF QB play, I'm happy. If I feel like he isn't a long term answer I can move him then and still gain some value as long as he has been FF relevant. If he does use his legs a lot then you want to move that guy anyway since the mobile QBs don't last 15 years anyway.
I honestly am more impressed by Trubisky’s college tape. Now my record is far from perfect but Herbert is one of the easiest to predict busts I have seen in a long time. And I don’t have any proof but I was always higher/more optimistic on Josh Allen than I am on Herbert. At least Allen can go through reads and made progress as a passer without any special weapons (until this year) or O Line.

Can’t see how anybody would like him over Tua. The guy has been slicing apart the LSUs and Auburns of the world while Herbert was getting blasted by Arizona and putting up 7 points in a bowl game (not the biggest Tua fan either tbh but he is an entirely different caliber of prospect/talent/player to me)
I really think Herbert is going to get the Chargers FO and coaching staff canned. Will be happy to eat my words if wrong
The case against Tua:
- Troubling amount of injuries; especially when you consider how often Alabama took him out in the 2nd half after jumping out to a massive lead.
- Arm is good, but not great
- 2 of his top 3 weapons just got drafted in the top 15. A 3rd one is likely to go in the 1st/2nd round in next year's draft. That's an embarrassment of riches which definitely inflated his stats; but also might've inflated his tape (A lot easier to find the "right guy" when several of them are open on any given play).
- This becomes a concern when you consider his 19 wonderlic (Many people want to ignore this, I personally am concerned with anyone who's below 24)

The case for Herbert:
- Physically exactly what you're looking for in a QB.
- Arm Talent
- Stuck in a terrible offense, with no NFL level weapons
- Excelled at the Senior Bowl-- In practice, and was the game MVP
- Smart Kid (39 Wonderlic, William V. Campbell award winner, 4.1 GPA as a Bio major)

I definitely would take Tua between these two at this point in time.. but I wouldn't bet against Herbert eventually growing into the better QB. A lot of his faults are correctable with good coaching... Really hope they sit him for his entire rookie season. He needs to work on his fundamentals more than anything.

heyfeefellskee
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby heyfeefellskee » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:18 am

IZigUZag wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:54 pm The case for Herbert:

..wat?

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:25 am

heyfeefellskee wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:18 am

..wat?
Played in a rudimentary offense with a poor supporting cast work better for you?

heyfeefellskee
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby heyfeefellskee » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:38 am

IZigUZag wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:25 am
heyfeefellskee wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:18 am

..wat?
Played in a rudimentary offense with a poor supporting cast work better for you?
Are you talking about the Chargers?

Zacsby
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Zacsby » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:51 am

heyfeefellskee wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:38 am
IZigUZag wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:25 am Played in a rudimentary offense with a poor supporting cast work better for you?
Are you talking about the Chargers?
He is clearly talking about Oregon.
12 Team SF IDP
QB - Mahomes, Lawrence, Mac
RB - Etienne, Walker, Rhamondre, Javonte, Akers, CEH
WR - AJB, Waddle, Higgins, Gabe, Toney
TE - Andrews, ISJ
DL - Quinnen, Highsmith, Josh Allen
LB - Lloyd, JOK, Gay, Bush
DB - Winfield, Love, Delpit

14 Team 1QB IDP
QB - Fields, Jimmy G
RB - Henry, Kamara, Swift, Herbert
WR - Adams, Juju, Jakobi, Theilen
TE - Hock, Everett
DL - Garrett, Buckner, Sweat
LB - White, David, Okereke, Jack
DB - Budda, CJGJ, Dugger, Byard

wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Postby wickerkat1212 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:47 am

Who would you target at 2.08/2.10 in this draft? The top RB and WR will be gone by then. It'll be next tier RB/WR and probably the top 2-3 QB may be gone, probably all TE left, in a weak class. Thoughts?
D3:
QB—Allen, Pickett RB—Kamara, Jacobs, ZWhite, Edwards, Ford, Warren WR—Lamb, Olave, DJM, Puka, Tillman, Marshall, Jefferson, Robinson, Tucker TE—Ferguson, Schoon, Likely, Smith, Washington, Kraft PK—Prater DEF—BAL

D4:
QB—TLaw, JimmyG, Tannehill, AOC, Hall RB—Bijan, Kamara, Conner, Gainwell, Gainwell, Foreman, ZMoss, Chandler, McLaughlin, Murray WR—Jefferson, Hill, Adams, Allen, Tillman, Woods TE—Kelce, Kmet, Conklin PK—Butker DEF—PIT

Superflex 1:
QB—Mahomes, Rodgers, Mayfield RB—Bijan, Kamara, Allgeier, Singletary, Mostert, BRob, Warren, Rodriguez, Spiller WR—Chase, DJM, Devonta, MBrown, Myers, Reynold, Jones TE—Kmet, Likely, Kraft, Conklin, Hurst, Hudson PK—Elliott DEF—PHI

Superflex 2:
QB: Goff, Cousins, Wentz, White; RB: Bijan, BRob, ZWhite, Allgeier, McLaughlin WR: DJM, Higgins, JSN, Downs, RMoore, Atwell, SMoore, PCampbell, DPJ, ATP, Hutchinson, Iosivas, Devante, CJones TE: Ferguson, Kraft, Trautman, Tremble

Kmani6
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Kmani6 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:02 am

wickerkat1212 wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:47 am Who would you target at 2.08/2.10 in this draft? The top RB and WR will be gone by then. It'll be next tier RB/WR and probably the top 2-3 QB may be gone, probably all TE left, in a weak class. Thoughts?
You will most likely get two of: Laviska Shenault, Brandon Aiyuk, Bryan Edwards, Zach Moss, or AJ Dillon. Still some very high upside WR, and some decent RB options.
Dynasty Team 1:

10 Man, Full PPR, .2 PPC, Double Flex

QB: Kyler Murray
RB: Saquon Barkley , Breece Hall, Swift, Dobbins, Gibson, CEH
WR: Devante Adams, Tyreek Hill, Jamarr Chase, DK Metcalf, Devonta Smith, Jerry Jeudy
TE: Travis Kelce

2023 Picks: 1.4, 1.8, 2.9, 3.2, 3.6, 3.8

Dynasty Team 2:

10 Man, Half PPR, Double Flex

QB: Tua
RB: Barkley , Mixon, Javonte, Jacobs, CEH
WR: AJB, Tyreek, Lamb, Aiyuk, Bateman
TE: Kittle

2022 Picks: 1.5, 1.6, 2.3
2023 Picks: 2 x 1st, 2 x 2nd