AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: More 2020 Hype: "If You Need A RB or WR, this is the draft for you."

Postby AussieMate » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:21 pm

cantguardjake wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:06 pm
AussieMate wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:34 pm
cantguardjake wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:44 pm

Why? I doubt any of this years running backs are drafted as high as Jacobs was, so I don’t see why they would have in the same draft year.
What? Jacobs was clear cut the top back which pushes up his value in a draft, if he was amongst the group of Taylor Swift Dobbins CEH Akers it would move all their value down. Also in my opinion if Raiders wanted an rb at the end of the first both Taylor and maybe Swift would have been the pick over Jacobs.
A team isn’t going to spend a first round pick on a player because he’s the best of a bunch if they don’t have a first round grade on him, particularly at running back. They rated him as a first round talent and drafted him as such, it remains to be seen what teams value the current crop of running backs at.

I understand the concept of “needs based” drafting, and the fact that more talent potentially means teams can wait on that particular position - but no team is going to spend a first round pick on a running back just because it’s a need unless they grade him as such.

Those are projected values on this years running backs. Jacobs was a genuine first round talent and was drafted as such, and I doubt it would have been any different as this class is over rated.
Teams can grade plenty of Rbs as 1st rnd talent but take another position of need if they think they can get another good rb with their 2nd rnd pick because there are a few talented backs they like (I don't think the Jacobs year had more than 2 backs worth using an early pick on, Jacobs and Sanders) which I think it is 4-5 rbs deep in talent. If I ran a team i'd almost never take an RB with a 1st rnd pick.

This is just a difference of opinion not a lack of understanding of how teams draft.

I also disagree that this draft is overrated.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:36 pm

AussieMate wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:20 pm

I agree, it's easy to say he's worth more now but if they all came out together Jacobs wouldn't have been drafted in the 1st imo and I would have had him 3-4 in this group.
Why? I doubt any of this years running backs are drafted as high as Jacobs was, so I don’t see why they would have in the same draft year.
What? Jacobs was clear cut the top back which pushes up his value in a draft, if he was amongst the group of Taylor Swift Dobbins CEH Akers it would move all their value down. Also in my opinion if Raiders wanted an rb at the end of the first both Taylor and maybe Swift would have been the pick over Jacobs.
I have serious doubts about that. Being a Raiders fan, and being on to all things Raiders, Mayock loved Jacobs, and his all round game, including the pass blocking and receiving ability, which is more of a question for JT. I don't think JT's 40 time would have had much affect, he actually wanted Jacobs to run slower at his pro day, so he could be sure they got him. I think Jacobs may have gone later with more backs in the class, but I think the Raiders still would have had Jacobs as their top back, he fits what they are trying to do so much. I don't think Swift would have been the pick over Jacobs for the Raiders, he's too small, and not strong enough between the tackles compared to Josh. I firmly believe Jacobs would have been the back the Raiders would have targeted over Swift and JT, I've heard Mayock go into detail about the pick and what qualities they wanted in their back, and JT nor Swift fit that as well as Josh.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby AussieMate » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:52 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:36 pm

I have serious doubts about that. Being a Raiders fan, and being on to all things Raiders, Mayock loved Jacobs, and his all round game, including the pass blocking and receiving ability, which is more of a question for JT. I don't think JT's 40 time would have had much affect, he actually wanted Jacobs to run slower at his pro day, so he could be sure they got him. I think Jacobs may have gone later with more backs in the class, but I think the Raiders still would have had Jacobs as their top back, he fits what they are trying to do so much. I don't think Swift would have been the pick over Jacobs for the Raiders, he's too small, and not strong enough between the tackles compared to Josh. I firmly believe Jacobs would have been the back the Raiders would have targeted over Swift and JT, I've heard Mayock go into detail about the pick and what qualities they wanted in their back, and JT nor Swift fit that as well as Josh.
I can see definitely agree they may have had him on top even if I wouldn't have (or think most other teams wouldn't have) I have a hate for teams taking rbs in the 1st, I just think its bad practice. In no particular order for me its QB, trenches, CB, LB as I think the oline and scheme makes most rbs not the other way around, rb is a luxury pick.
As a Raiders fan do you think it was the right move?

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:03 pm

AussieMate wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:52 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:36 pm

I can see definitely agree they may have had him on top even if I wouldn't have (or think most other teams wouldn't have) I have a hate for teams taking rbs in the 1st, I just think its bad practice. In no particular order for me its QB, trenches, CB, LB as I think the oline and scheme makes most rbs not the other way around, rb is a luxury pick.
As a Raiders fan do you think it was the right move?
At the time, no, but after seeing how it played out, yeah, it was the right move. He fits what they are trying to do so well. They got a really good pass rusher in the 4th to make up for the "value loss" of a RB in the first. Jacobs was the only back in that draft that would have fit that offense like a glove like that. The OL is really strong, so he definitely maximized what they do well. He's going to be the featured back for years. I don't mind a RB near the back half of the first as much, myself. If AB had none gone nuts, they would have had a top 5 offense without question.

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:18 am

cantguardjake wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:06 pm A team isn’t going to spend a first round pick on a player because he’s the best of a bunch if they don’t have a first round grade on him, particularly at running back. They rated him as a first round talent and drafted him as such
same team that drafted ferrell at 4th overall, right?

cantguardjake
Role Player
Role Player

Postby cantguardjake » Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:55 am

AussieMate wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:21 pm

A team isn’t going to spend a first round pick on a player because he’s the best of a bunch if they don’t have a first round grade on him, particularly at running back. They rated him as a first round talent and drafted him as such, it remains to be seen what teams value the current crop of running backs at.

I understand the concept of “needs based” drafting, and the fact that more talent potentially means teams can wait on that particular position - but no team is going to spend a first round pick on a running back just because it’s a need unless they grade him as such.

Those are projected values on this years running backs. Jacobs was a genuine first round talent and was drafted as such, and I doubt it would have been any different as this class is over rated.
Teams can grade plenty of Rbs as 1st rnd talent but take another position of need if they think they can get another good rb with their 2nd rnd pick because there are a few talented backs they like (I don't think the Jacobs year had more than 2 backs worth using an early pick on, Jacobs and Sanders) which I think it is 4-5 rbs deep in talent. If I ran a team i'd almost never take an RB with a 1st rnd pick.

This is just a difference of opinion not a lack of understanding of how teams draft.

Yep that’s fair enough, I do agree with what your saying in essence - I think my comment was more made on the basis of how much Mayock loved Jacobs as FF pointed out (he was gushing over him post draft, Gruden even mentioned he was trying to convince Mayock to trade up to get him and thought the Eagles had sniped him when they traded up to grab Dillard).

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:14 am

killer_of_giants wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:18 am
cantguardjake wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:06 pm A team isn’t going to spend a first round pick on a player because he’s the best of a bunch if they don’t have a first round grade on him, particularly at running back. They rated him as a first round talent and drafted him as such
same team that drafted ferrell at 4th overall, right?
Many Pro Bowls ahead for Ferrell. RDE is the difficult line position to play and it usually takes a couple of years. He flashed big time last year.

Hide and watch! :D
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

djeternal2
Captain
Captain

Postby djeternal2 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:42 am

Actually teams would be smart imo to start treating top RBs like they do QB and take them in the first. Only first rounders get the 5th year option. So you'd ge the first 5 years of the RB and then let them walk and have someone else pay up for the big 2nd contract while drafting their replacement.
10 tm ppr 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 2 Flex, TE, K, TDEF (Yr 6)
QB - Ryan, Wentz
RB - Gurley, A Jones, Cohen, Kerryon, Dam Williams, Duke, I Smith, Armstead, T Carson
WR - AJG, Watkins, ARob, A. Cooper, K Allen, M Williams, Godwin, Callaway, JJAW
TE - Gesicki, I Smith, Herndon, Eifert, Sternberger, Dissly

10 tm TE prem 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex, K, 2 DB, 2 DL, 2 LB (Yr 5)
QB - Mahomes, Mayfield, Wentz,
RB - Zeke, Chubb, Kerryon, Duke, Edmonds, B Hill
WR - Nuk, AJG, ARob, JJS, Samuel, MVS, T Smith, D Hamilton, Gallup, K Johnson
TE - Njoku, Eifert, Herndon, I Smith, I Thomas, Moreau
DL - Watt, K Clark, Q Williams
LB - D Jones, D Bush
DB - K Neal, Bell

DLF Early Birds - 16 tm SF (1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex, 1 SF
QB - A Rodgers, Darnold, Rosen, M Rudolph, Luck
RB - Damian Williams, J Howard, Duke, AP, Gore
WR - Julio, Golladay, Kirk, Stills, Manny Sanders, N Harry
TE - Jarwin, Gesicki, Boyle, Sprinkle

Finfansteve
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Finfansteve » Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:49 am

djeternal2 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:42 am

Actually teams would be smart imo to start treating top RBs like they do QB and take them in the first. Only first rounders get the 5th year option. So you'd ge the first 5 years of the RB and then let them walk and have someone else pay up for the big 2nd contract while drafting their replacement.
Good point
Qb: Hurts, geno Smith
Rb: JT, Gibbs, Montgomery, Roschon, Z. White, Ty Chandler
Wr: AJB, JJ, Chase, waddle, G Wilson
TE: Pitts, Kincaid, Likely, Njoku

2024 1.01, 1.04, 1.05
10 team
9 players kept yearly
Non PPR
Not super flex
Start 1/1/2/1/2 flex
1 point per first down
All tds 6 points

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:56 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:36 pm I have serious doubts about that. Being a Raiders fan, and being on to all things Raiders, Mayock loved Jacobs, and his all round game, including the pass blocking and receiving ability, which is more of a question for JT. I don't think JT's 40 time would have had much affect, he actually wanted Jacobs to run slower at his pro day, so he could be sure they got him. I think Jacobs may have gone later with more backs in the class, but I think the Raiders still would have had Jacobs as their top back, he fits what they are trying to do so much. I don't think Swift would have been the pick over Jacobs for the Raiders, he's too small, and not strong enough between the tackles compared to Josh. I firmly believe Jacobs would have been the back the Raiders would have targeted over Swift and JT, I've heard Mayock go into detail about the pick and what qualities they wanted in their back, and JT nor Swift fit that as well as Josh.
If this is in any way accurate, it would certainly explain why the Raiders have been to only one playoff game or been able to eclipse a 40% win percentage over the last 10 years.

Zacsby
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Zacsby » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:06 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:56 am
FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:36 pm I have serious doubts about that. Being a Raiders fan, and being on to all things Raiders, Mayock loved Jacobs, and his all round game, including the pass blocking and receiving ability, which is more of a question for JT. I don't think JT's 40 time would have had much affect, he actually wanted Jacobs to run slower at his pro day, so he could be sure they got him. I think Jacobs may have gone later with more backs in the class, but I think the Raiders still would have had Jacobs as their top back, he fits what they are trying to do so much. I don't think Swift would have been the pick over Jacobs for the Raiders, he's too small, and not strong enough between the tackles compared to Josh. I firmly believe Jacobs would have been the back the Raiders would have targeted over Swift and JT, I've heard Mayock go into detail about the pick and what qualities they wanted in their back, and JT nor Swift fit that as well as Josh.
If this is in any way accurate, it would certainly explain why the Raiders have been to only one playoff game or been able to eclipse a 40% win percentage over the last 10 years.
What do the last 10 years have to do with Mayock and Gruden?
12 Team SF IDP
QB - Mahomes, Lawrence, Mac
RB - Etienne, Walker, Rhamondre, Javonte, Akers, CEH
WR - AJB, Waddle, Higgins, Gabe, Toney
TE - Andrews, ISJ
DL - Quinnen, Highsmith, Josh Allen
LB - Lloyd, JOK, Gay, Bush
DB - Winfield, Love, Delpit

14 Team 1QB IDP
QB - Fields, Jimmy G
RB - Henry, Kamara, Swift, Herbert
WR - Adams, Juju, Jakobi, Theilen
TE - Hock, Everett
DL - Garrett, Buckner, Sweat
LB - White, David, Okereke, Jack
DB - Budda, CJGJ, Dugger, Byard

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:20 am

Go troll somewhere else, Bill.

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:39 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:20 am
You’re rationalizing Jacobs over Taylor and Swift, and I’M the one trolling when I just post facts about the Raiders success (or lack thereof) recently? There’s a reason why they are so unsuccessful, and predraft evaluations of Jacobs being a better RB than either of those two are a microcosm of the issues. I’m sorry that I apparently touched a nerve.

mgscott
Starter
Starter

Postby mgscott » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:45 am

I have no doubts the Raiders would have taken Jacobs over Swift, but not so sure on Taylor. It's hard to say for sure since they weren't scouting Swift or Taylor last year. I could see where they would have scouted Taylor and Jacobs as similar backs for their offense, but Taylor having more breakaway speed and durability. It's also hard to hold previous years against Mayock and Gruden. They seemed to have drafted fairly well last year, so they may be turning it all around. We'll see. I like a lot of their moves lately. But I still think if Taylor were in the draft last year, they would have either drafted him instead or highly considered it.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:30 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:39 am
FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:20 am

You’re rationalizing Jacobs over Taylor and Swift, and I’M the one trolling when I just post facts about the Raiders success (or lack thereof) recently? There’s a reason why they are so unsuccessful, and predraft evaluations of Jacobs being a better RB than either of those two are a microcosm of the issues. I’m sorry that I apparently touched a nerve.
People really bought into the hype of the 2020 RB draft class last year due to the volume of RB's.

The reality in the NFL real world was that Jacobs had all the tools and low mileage to be a stud. Jacobs received really high marks and in fact had higher marks than all RB's this class by NFL.com.

I get it is kind of like liking chocolate Ice cream over strawberry for some but Jacobs is future stud at RB barring injury and one has to be Blind not to see it.

As for the Raiders and history, This team has effectively changed it's culture in a single season so whatever they did the 10 years prior is a complete BS argument.

They may not be successful but they are already making decisions that look great compared to the previous regime.

Haters going to hate but it's pretty stupid IMO.

BTW, I am in no way a Raiders fan but really like what they are doing as an organization. They even handled the AB debacle with professionalism.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts