More 2020 Hype: "If You Need A RB or WR, this is the draft for you."

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Lord_Varys
Role Player
Role Player

Re: More 2020 Hype: "If You Need A RB or WR, this is the draft for you."

Postby Lord_Varys » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:26 pm

bjd5211 wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:37 am
Lord_Varys wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:13 am I can't think of a less useful way to evaluate a prospect than Dominator Rating.
I wouldn't say it's unuseful, the only thing I disagree with is using it as the sole determination of a WR and should be used within context and as just part of the evaluation as a whole.
If a stat is only useful in context then I'll just look at the context and disregard the stat.

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:20 pm

Lord_Varys wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:26 pm
bjd5211 wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:37 am
Lord_Varys wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:13 am I can't think of a less useful way to evaluate a prospect than Dominator Rating.
I wouldn't say it's unuseful, the only thing I disagree with is using it as the sole determination of a WR and should be used within context and as just part of the evaluation as a whole.
If a stat is only useful in context then I'll just look at the context and disregard the stat.
...every stat is only useful in context.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:19 am

3 weeks until the combine

Forza_Azzurri
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Forza_Azzurri » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:57 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:33 pm
Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:59 am
nathanq42 wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:24 am To be fair, none of this matters talk of size matters until we can get concrete numbers from the combine
Right. Many college estimates are way off. Tevin Coleman was supposed to be 6'3" or something coming out of college :lol: .

As for more criticisms of Jeudy, I saw LifesYourCup on twitter criticizing the way his knees bend.
That's good enough reason to never listen to a thing they say again.
I never realized that there was more than one way to bend a knee ... is Jeudy some sort of human-flamingo offspring?

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:24 pm

Forza_Azzurri wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:57 am
Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:59 am

Right. Many college estimates are way off. Tevin Coleman was supposed to be 6'3" or something coming out of college :lol: .

As for more criticisms of Jeudy, I saw LifesYourCup on twitter criticizing the way his knees bend.
I never realized that there was more than one way to bend a knee ... is Jeudy some sort of human-flamingo offspring?
If you've watched his tape, and someone told you that was in fact true, you might not disagree with them. He does move strangely. I said this in the NCAA discussion board.

As for the other topic - I'm so tired of everything nowadays needing to be hot takes and crap bring so extremist black and white. Stats matter. Analytics matter. Perspective matters. Context matters. They are all viable and all need each other. Stop being absurdly analytics or bust. Or tape or bust.

Analytics are garbage if the input is garbage. Sometimes a player is trash because analytics say so, but tape does as well. Sometimes a player is trash by analytics but with context, you understand they in fact aren't.

This isn't hard.

cantguardjake
Role Player
Role Player

Postby cantguardjake » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:30 pm

Lumps wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:24 pm
Forza_Azzurri wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:57 am

If you've watched his tape, and someone told you that was in fact true, you might not disagree with them. He does move strangely. I said this in the NCAA discussion board.

As for the other topic - I'm so tired of everything nowadays needing to be hot takes and crap bring so extremist black and white. Stats matter. Analytics matter. Perspective matters. Context matters. They are all viable and all need each other. Stop being absurdly analytics or bust. Or tape or bust.

Analytics are garbage if the input is garbage. Sometimes a player is trash because analytics say so, but tape does as well. Sometimes a player is trash by analytics but with context, you understand they in fact aren't.

This isn't hard.
I don’t think anyone’s doing that tbh.

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby AussieMate » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:09 pm

Whats the deal with Cam Akers? I see so many mocks with him being the No.1/No.2 running back and I just can't fathom anyone taking him Before the big 3. He's meant to be athletically very good but I've heard bad marks against his vision which to me is just a big no-no (Trent Richardson).

Is he a riser that could sneak up or is it just more clickbait mocks.

At this point I won't be touching him early, the big 3 all seem to have plus vision and athleticism which is why they are being valued so highly, what does Akers do that is better than any of them?

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:13 pm

AussieMate wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:09 pm Whats the deal with Cam Akers? I see so many mocks with him being the No.1/No.2 running back and I just can't fathom anyone taking him Before the big 3. He's meant to be athletically very good but I've heard bad marks against his vision which to me is just a big no-no (Trent Richardson).

At this point I won't be touching him early, the big 3 all seem to have plus vision and athleticism which is why they are being valued so highly, what does Akers do that is better than any of them?
You'd have to point us to those mocks, friend. He shouldn't be going before any of the presumptive BIG THREE at this early stage.

A vote for Akers at this point is a vote for his pedigree (he was a 5 star recruit) and a vote against his situation (I believe the Florida line he was running behind was graded as 128th out of a possible 130 teams for adjusted line-play in 2019). He had good seasons, in particular his Junior year before the team truly cratered.

Athletically, he already tested very well at a Summer 2016 competition (sooo, age 17 or 18) run by Nike - a 4.41 40, and a 41 inch vertical jump. SPARQ score at the time was listed as 141 which is damn high.

Basically, he's a potential diamond in the rough - and may even turn out to be the most athletically gifted RB in this class. But anyone taking him before the other 3 at this point is probably overthinking it - or planting the flag early to be contrarian or ahead of a potential ADP climb. Expect him to rise if he tests well, and rise even further if his landing spot and draft capital is preferable. Until then, he should still be no higher than RB4.

Kmani6
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Kmani6 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:26 pm

Dobbins SPARQ was a 147. 43 inch vert which was official, and a 4.45 or something 40. I may be a little off, but I’m sure on the vert and know it’s one of the highest of all time at the RB position.
Dynasty Team 1:

10 Man, Full PPR, .2 PPC, Double Flex

QB: Kyler Murray
RB: Saquon Barkley , Breece Hall, Swift, Dobbins, Gibson, CEH
WR: Devante Adams, Tyreek Hill, Jamarr Chase, DK Metcalf, Devonta Smith, Jerry Jeudy
TE: Travis Kelce

2023 Picks: 1.4, 1.8, 2.9, 3.2, 3.6, 3.8

Dynasty Team 2:

10 Man, Half PPR, Double Flex

QB: Tua
RB: Barkley , Mixon, Javonte, Jacobs, CEH
WR: AJB, Tyreek, Lamb, Aiyuk, Bateman
TE: Kittle

2022 Picks: 1.5, 1.6, 2.3
2023 Picks: 2 x 1st, 2 x 2nd

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:41 pm

mild wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:13 pm
AussieMate wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:09 pm Whats the deal with Cam Akers? I see so many mocks with him being the No.1/No.2 running back and I just can't fathom anyone taking him Before the big 3. He's meant to be athletically very good but I've heard bad marks against his vision which to me is just a big no-no (Trent Richardson).

You'd have to point us to those mocks, friend. He shouldn't be going before any of the presumptive BIG THREE at this early stage.

A vote for Akers at this point is a vote for his pedigree (he was a 5 star recruit) and a vote against his situation (I believe the Florida line he was running behind was graded as 128th out of a possible 130 teams for adjusted line-play in 2019). He had good seasons, in particular his Junior year before the team truly cratered.

Athletically, he already tested very well at a Summer 2016 competition (sooo, age 17 or 18) run by Nike - a 4.41 40, and a 41 inch vertical jump. SPARQ score at the time was listed as 141 which is damn high.

Basically, he's a potential diamond in the rough - and may even turn out to be the most athletically gifted RB in this class. But anyone taking him before the other 3 at this point is probably overthinking it - or planting the flag early to be contrarian or ahead of a potential ADP climb. Expect him to rise if he tests well, and rise even further if his landing spot and draft capital is preferable. Until then, he should still be no higher than RB4.
So do you think the combine could boost Akers up into the top tier for a lot of people? I could see it happening if it's good enough, but I think he'd still be 4th for me

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby nathanq42 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:50 pm

I think it is similar to DK level athlete hype. He is a great block of marble that a coach can be sculpted into a god. I know this isn't a glowing comp but he is basically jerrick McKinnon all over again. Wildcat QB with God level athleticism turned RB in college with plus receiving ability... Hopefully he pans out better

As for what it would take to jump into top 3 level he would have to kill the combine, and someone would have to be unspectacular. He is my #4 as well
12 Team 1 ppr .1 points per carry
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
TE Dalton Kincaid, Foster Moreau
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:58 pm

Jigga94 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:41 pm So do you think the combine could boost Akers up into the top tier for a lot of people? I could see it happening if it's good enough, but I think he'd still be 4th for me
Yo my man! Yeah, I think it could potentially get him past Taylor (who I feel is somehow becoming underrated right now) or Dobbins depending on the scouter's preference for metrics, but I don't think there's that high a chance of it. I feel like Swift is too locked-in to RB1 at this point thanks to his pass catching, it would take a truly pedestrian combine to drop him from semi-consensus RB1. Akers won't be moving ahead of Dobbins or Taylor for me personally - but could potentially do so once we have landing spots. That's the main way I see it happening, as I think all 4 of these backs are going to test well - just based on the eye test to this point.

One good trait of note for Akers is that he's pretty natural catching out of the backfield. There's a lot of good footage of him catching screens / dump offs etc and smoothly transitioning in one motion upfield. He also had to make a lot of plays happen after contact thanks to the truly abysmal nature of his line - PFF are probably going to love him... :lol:

I have the 1.05 and 1.08 (and 1.10) in my main league this year - if he's there for me at 1.08 I'll be pulling that trigger without a second thought.
Last edited by mild on Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:58 pm

nathanq42 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:50 pm

I think it is similar to DK level athlete hype. He is a great block of marble that a coach can be sculpted into a god. I know this isn't a glowing comp but he is basically jerrick McKinnon all over again. Wildcat QB with God level athleticism turned RB in college with plus receiving ability... Hopefully he pans out better

As for what it would take to jump into top 3 level he would have to kill the combine, and someone would have to be unspectacular. He is my #4 as well
The thing is, JT is a sprinter, who should time very well in the 40, and Dobbins was a 99th percentile SPARQ athlete coming out of High School, so they should test well too.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Johnny B. Goode
Starter
Starter

Postby Johnny B. Goode » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:50 pm

Completely wrong. Dominator Rating + Breakout Age thresholds can predict a WR busting (never becoming a top 24 wr) with 94% accuracy

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:59 pm

Johnny B. Goode wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:50 pm
Completely wrong. Dominator Rating + Breakout Age thresholds can predict a WR busting (never becoming a top 24 wr) with 94% accuracy
Only 94%? Doesn't sound very useful.