More 2020 Hype: "If You Need A RB or WR, this is the draft for you."

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Re: More 2020 Hype: "If You Need A RB or WR, this is the draft for you."

Postby Cameron Giles » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:14 pm

I'm still astonished that some view Swift ahead of Taylor. What has Swift done that's been more impressive than Taylor this season?

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:19 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:14 pm I'm still astonished that some view Swift ahead of Taylor. What has Swift done that's been more impressive than Taylor this season?
It's more about how his game projects to the next level than his production. Swift is very strong in the passing game with his receiving ability and route running, he could legitimately do passably well as a WR.

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby nathanq42 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:21 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:14 pm I'm still astonished that some view Swift ahead of Taylor. What has Swift done that's been more impressive than Taylor this season?
Similar stats on a per touch basis but in the most dominant and defensively stout conference in CFB. Overall stats aren't as impressive (still impressive) but the volume isnt there due to Georgia spreading the love. I flip flop on the two constantly though
12 Team 1 ppr .1 points per carry
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
TE Dalton Kincaid, Foster Moreau
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

PR0v3
Captain
Captain

Postby PR0v3 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:36 pm

I like Swift's style better. He appears to be a pretty dynamic athlete. He's got loose hips and a lot of wiggle and shake, he's got good change of direction and burst, and is an excellent receiver. I'm pretty confident he has the type of game that translates to NFL/fantasy success.

Taylor, I haven't seen as much of, but from what I have seen he appears to be more of a speed/power guy. I have more concern about how he projects. Is he going to make guys miss consistently? If not, he's gonna have to be a power guy. If he's gonna be a power guy, does he have homerun speed? I don't know, but if he's a power guy without homerun speed then I'm concerned. If he blows away the combine though, then he's a no brainer, because great athletic testing with that production seems like a can't miss.
Last edited by PR0v3 on Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
12 Team .5 PPR - 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 WR/RB 20 man rosters, 5 man taxi est. 2018
QB: Dak, Pickett
RB: CMC, Taylor, Gibson, Dillon, Akers, Penny
WR: JJeff, Hollywood, Olave, Toney, Aiyuk, Jeudy, C. Davis, Boyd, C. Samuel,
TE: Njoku, Gesicki
2023 picks: 1.x, 2.x, 3.x, 4.x

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby AussieMate » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:36 pm

Outside of my previous point about comparing the schools track record recently of RBS I just like Swift's game more, I ultimately choose based off eye test.
I'm not saying Taylor doesn't look good though.

Nanananananana
Starter
Starter

Postby Nanananananana » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:43 pm

alewilliam789 wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:58 pm Who’s got some RB rankings so far? Lets see them!

Edit:
Ill give mine so you guys don’t think I’m trying to steal your players :lol:

1. D’Andre Swift
2. Jonathan Taylor
3. J.K. Dobbins
4. Kylin Hill
5. Najee Harris
6. Travis Eteinne
7. Cam Akers
8. AJ Dillon
9. Chubba Hubbard
10. CEH
11. Zach Moss
12. Eno Benjamin
Trust me I hate when people piss on others rankings, but I just need to know what you see in Kylin Hill. Just a quick glance at his game log the YPC splits against teams that you’ve heard of are extreme. I don’t see him that high often, I like that you have Najee high I think he is super underrated.

alewilliam789
All Pro
All Pro

Postby alewilliam789 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:12 pm

mild wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:10 pm
alewilliam789 wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:58 pm Who’s got some RB rankings so far? Lets see them!
Not my rankings, but the glorious powers that be that operate this here forum just posted their first 1QB 2020 Rookie Mock on their parent website... I won't spoil the whole thing, because you should subscribe. Here's how the first 7 RB's went, however...

1.01 Taylor
1.02 Swift
1.04 Etienne
1.05 Akers
1.08 Chuba Hubbard
1.09 JK Dobbins
1.12 Eno Benjamin

And that's before we even get to players like Najee Harris, Clyde Edwards-Helaire, and Kylin Hill all hanging out in the second round...

Honestly, just seeing a mock laying it all out got me re-excited for this draft all over again. It's as deep as they're saying. You want top 20 picks in this draft. Go get them.
It’s a disservice to leave Najee Harris and Kylin Hill out of the first round. Those dudes are very close to being in the top tier of Dobbins, Taylor, and Swift.
I will say this again and please go check out the tape; Najee Harris’ ability as a receiver is silly. Can adjust to the ball, makes catches outside his frame, crisp routes. I will seriously be surprised if Najee Harris isn’t a first round pick next summer in the NFL draft
I may or may not be related to Bryan Edwards

alewilliam789
All Pro
All Pro

Postby alewilliam789 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:58 pm

So I was on the Jonathan Taylor train #1 overall as well. What sold me is Swift’s pass catching ability and to me I think athletically he’s a special combination of speed and quickness at 220+.

I would say they are neck and neck tho.
I just put them into a tier with Dobbins and I’ll be happy if I get any one of them

alewilliam789
All Pro
All Pro

Postby alewilliam789 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:08 pm

Nanananananana wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:43 pm

Edit:
Ill give mine so you guys don’t think I’m trying to steal your players :lol:

1. D’Andre Swift
2. Jonathan Taylor
3. J.K. Dobbins
4. Kylin Hill
5. Najee Harris
6. Travis Eteinne
7. Cam Akers
8. AJ Dillon
9. Chubba Hubbard
10. CEH
11. Zach Moss
12. Eno Benjamin
Trust me I hate when people piss on others rankings, but I just need to know what you see in Kylin Hill. Just a quick glance at his game log the YPC splits against teams that you’ve heard of are extreme. I don’t see him that high often, I like that you have Najee high I think he is super underrated.

For me I highly value contact balance. Hill punishes defenses while constantly bouncing off punishing hits to grind out 3+ yards and delivering them too. This guy is like a pinball with legs. He’s got the prototypical frame, above average hands. Overall tho his athleticism is incredible and his contact balance is just as good. I personally have him and Najee Harris grouped in their own tier just under Dobbins, Taylor, and Swift.

Johnny B. Goode
Starter
Starter

Postby Johnny B. Goode » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:36 am

shhhhhh. those of us with 1.2 want this to continue

IMO Swift has a higher ceiling, but lower floor compared to Taylor

Lord_Varys
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Lord_Varys » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:26 am

killer_of_giants wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:40 am
Lord_Varys wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:10 am
briank wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:43 pm

The quality of tackling in a particular conference is another factor.
Like any other stat, it's subject to noise and variation, but also over a long enough period that noise evens out.
that's waaay too simplistic.
Sure but no one in here wants a statistics lecture.

Etienne has been the guy for 3 years. His YAC has always been elite. YPC I believe is best ever in CFB after a certain threshold. I believe the original argument was that YAC was inflated because being grazed by an arm might count as "Contact". But that applies to every other RB in CFB, and yet Etienne is still a monster in that regard and he has been since he became the guy 2 years ago.

The weak competition is a fair factor to callout and I agreed with it, but he looks good against good competition too.

Lord_Varys
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Lord_Varys » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:28 am

nathanq42 wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:19 am
Lord_Varys wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:10 am
briank wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:43 pm

The quality of tackling in a particular conference is another factor.
Like any other stat, it's subject to noise and variation, but also over a long enough period that noise evens out.

That said, briank makes a great point. I'll generally fade Big 12 assets a little bit because the defenses are so porous and the offenses are air-raid (looking at you James Washington, Samaje Perine, etc). Not that a stud can't come from the Big 12.... BUT... The ACC is easily the worst conference in college football and you definitely have to consider that when looking at Etienne's YAC.

All THAT said ... you still saw Etienne look like a stud against Bama, ND, some good competition. Doesn't look like a fluke to me. A comp I heard for him that I love is Chris Johnson. A smaller guy, but fast as hell, a great pure runner, and yeah he can break tackles too.
Unless someone is sub 4.3 they are not close to CJ2K. They can be a burner, but CJ2K speed is something else
Yeah, a comp doesn't need to be 1 to 1. Etienne could be low 4.3s, compared to CJ2K's 4.24, and their size and style of play can still get them close enough to say, "hey, here's a career trajectory that Etienne could reasonably have." That's all a comp is.

Lord_Varys
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Lord_Varys » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:34 am

nathanq42 wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:28 pm
mild wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:26 pm
nathanq42 wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:01 am Jeez Louise, Chuba Hubbard doesnt get enough shine...
I absolutely love him. If I add him to my main dynasty team with Chubb in it, I'll have to be rethinking the branding potential...
"Chuba Chubb Chubb"

In all seriousness I think Chuba is fairly secured as RB4 for me at the top of RB tier 2 (him, Akers, Etienne)
He's a liability in pass protection, and is running through wide open holes against weak defenses. Dude's got some jets but I don't think he projects as a bell cow potential in the NFL. Don't know how you could put him ahead of Swift, Taylor, Dobbins, Akers, or Etienne. I've even got him behind a couple others -- Hill and Benjamin.

Lord_Varys
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Lord_Varys » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:36 am

Taylor has proven competent in the passing game. Swift on the other hand has proven to be a veritable passing game weapon. There's a difference.

Also, Taylor's fumbles are a real problem.

Swift shows shake and wiggle that Taylor doesn't quite have, as well, I'd say. Granted that Taylor shows power and speed well beyond what Swift has, just depends what you're after. The receiving ceiling is what raises Swift over Taylor for me, and I think most others.

Lord_Varys
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Lord_Varys » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:45 am

My RB Rankings and (Tiers):
(1. D'Andre Swift, 2. Jonathan Taylor) -- Stud RB1s.
(3. Cam Akers, 4. JK Dobbins, 5. Travis Etienne) -- RB1 seasons coming. Capable of being "the guy" on a team.
(6. Kylin Hill, 7. Eno Benjamin, 8. Chuba Hubbard, 9. Clyde Edwards-Helaire, 10. Najee Harris) -- NFL starter ability, likely RB2s as committee members.
(11. Ke'Shawn Vaughn, 12. AJ Dillon, 13. Kennedy Brooks, 14. Zack Moss) -- Can probably start but need the right situation to be fantasy relevant.

Thoughts:
> Swift and Taylor could be splitting hairs, but give me the receiving upside of swift.
> Similarly, give me the receiving upside of Akers and Dobbins over Etienne, who is a more dangerous pure runner.
> Kylin Hill just looks like a difference maker to me, I get a Kareem Hunt vibe from him as an all around solid RB. I'm a little down on Chuba, I don't like his frame or pass protection which I think limit his upside in the league. Najee similarly doesn't have the right frame, I don't think he'll run over NFL defenders like he does over Bama's weak opponents.
> Vaughn is probably a sleeper. His frame is great, he has receiving ability.