Dynasty league-lights turn off in January, on again end of August

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
bob b
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Dynasty league-lights turn off in January, on again end of August

Postby bob b » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:49 pm

Just venting here...I'm in 4 dynasty leagues, two of which I have just joined and love the activity of everyone, and the other two have zero owner activity from late December through mid-August when the rookie draft is held. I just don't get it...anyone have any ideas on how to stimulate interest...I guess trying to move the draft up to May might help..
12 team standard dynasty, 20 player roster:
QB's: A Rodgers, J Garroppolo
RB's: T Gurley, A Kamara, Rashad Penny, John Kelly, Chase Edmonds
WR's: M Evans, M Thomas, A Cooper, A Robinson, C Davis, DJ Moore, Tre'Quan Smith, M Williams, G Allison
TE: T Kelce, OJ Howard,
Def: Bears
K: J Elliot

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Re: Dynasty league-lights turn off in January, on again end of August

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:32 pm

Get experienced owners who post here a lot.

Have a league with multiple off season events. At least a rookie draft and a veteran draft, preferably with one in early April and one in early May, followed by a monthly BBID. That would go a long way in establishing a framework which would generate activity.

Finally, GroupMe, GrouoMe, GrouoMe.

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:56 pm

Well a rookie draft in August is a major red flag. Sure there are some good leagues with that but oftentimes it’s the sign of passive owners.

To tell you the truth, one of my oldest and solid leagues is very passive in the offseason. Nothing happens. And I’m happy with that. Why? Because I joined other leagues. I’m in 8 dynasty leagues and I don’t want to be chained to offseason in all of them. One of them uses groupme. That fulfills my chat needs. At least in the passive league, everyone shows up to compete when it matters.

sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby sloth8u » Wed May 01, 2019 12:48 am

It could be argued that offseason trades are the cause of league disparity. I prefer my leagues with all or most teams being competitive. For that reason, i don't mind a slow offseason.

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Wed May 01, 2019 5:06 am

Biggest thing is to move the draft to may.
Team #1: 2nd place
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Kyler, AR
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, chandler
W: Evans, Chase, Mooney, Collins, Dell, Pickens
T: Kelce, Goedert
D: nyj
K: Sanders

Team #2: back to back champion
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: R Wilson, Murray, Watson
R: Swift, Walker, gus bus
W: Puka, Metcalf, Dell, Cooper, DJM, K Allen
T: Kelce, Pitts
K: Tucker
D: CLE

Team #3: back to back champion
14 team, SF, 1PPR (2PPR for TE), 1Q,2R,3W,1T,1SF,2F

Q: Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson, Heinicke, walker
R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Wilson, Charb, Z White, McLaughlin, freeman, d Williams, Reynolds,
W: Waddle, A St Brown, K Allen, Cooper, Nuk, Juju
T: Kelce, Schultz, Thomas, Ferguson

Team #4 3rd
https://www49.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0004&O=01

Team #5 4th
https://www45.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =07&F=0009

Team #6 orphan
https://www46.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0013&O=07

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Wed May 01, 2019 5:08 am

I have a league where we draft rookies right before the regular season starts. We open up trading a month or so before, but I don't see too much of a reason to be super active from Super Bowl to August... Nothing is really happening, apart from Free Agency and the Draft. Those 2 things are big but I don't think many huge deals are getting done regardless.

For example, the biggest player value to change has to be Tyreek Hill right? Even if I was super active, I probably wouldn't have moved him since his value tanked immediately. Or maybe I could have dealt for him in a super active league?

I don't really mind when you draft rookies or how many trades are done off season, as long as everyone is ready to go around preseason when football hype is in full swing

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Wed May 01, 2019 5:16 am

jordanzs wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:56 pm Well a rookie draft in August is a major red flag. Sure there are some good leagues with that but oftentimes it’s the sign of passive owners.

To tell you the truth, one of my oldest and solid leagues is very passive in the offseason. Nothing happens. And I’m happy with that. Why? Because I joined other leagues. I’m in 8 dynasty leagues and I don’t want to be chained to offseason in all of them. One of them uses groupme. That fulfills my chat needs. At least in the passive league, everyone shows up to compete when it matters.
I will concur. If you are in more leagues, you are less concerned with a couple that are less active in the off-season - so long as they remain active at the right times (draft times & regular season). Otherwise the advice mentioned usually works - spreading the calendar throughout the off-season, and getting newer more "active" blood.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

problemsolver
Starter
Starter

Postby problemsolver » Wed May 01, 2019 5:20 am

I'm in a league that starts its rookie draft after week 3 of the preseason. The league isn't all that great and every year I say I'm not playing anymore. But then that last draft rolls around and I can't help myself. If they drafted earlier I probably would have left the league by now.

briank
All Pro
All Pro

Postby briank » Wed May 01, 2019 7:43 am

bob b wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:49 pm Just venting here...I'm in 4 dynasty leagues, two of which I have just joined and love the activity of everyone, and the other two have zero owner activity from late December through mid-August when the rookie draft is held. I just don't get it...anyone have any ideas on how to stimulate interest...I guess trying to move the draft up to May might help..
Join better leagues. I've starting weeding out my inactive leagues.
12 tm tiered PPR Superflex start 9
QB Allen/Tubisky/Lock
RB Mixon/Harris/Etienne
WR DJ Moore
TE Kelce/Irv
2022 1.06/1.09
2023 3x 1st

12 tm tiered PPR Superflex start 10
QB Mahomes/Watson/Ryan
RB CMC/Zeke/Mixon/Sanders
WR Evans/Godwin/Robinson/Golladay/Thielen/Lockett/Fuller
TE Kittle/Waller/L. Thomas

12 tm tiered PPR Superflex start 10
QB Mahomes/Murray/Brady
RB CMC
WR Adams/Hill/Diggs/AJ Brown/Aiyuk/Woods/R. Moore
TE Kelce/Kittle/Njoku
2x 2023 1sts

12 tm PPR 1.5 for TE Superflex start 2 TE start 12
QB Herbert/Tua/Lawrence/Fields
RB Harris/Etienne
WR Jefferson/Deebo/Lamb/DSmith/Sutton/Juedy/Kirk/E. Moore/R. Moore
TE Kittle/Pitts/Waller/Fant/Njoku
2022 1.01/1.12/2.02

sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby sloth8u » Wed May 01, 2019 10:12 am

briank wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 7:43 am
bob b wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:49 pm Just venting here...I'm in 4 dynasty leagues, two of which I have just joined and love the activity of everyone, and the other two have zero owner activity from late December through mid-August when the rookie draft is held. I just don't get it...anyone have any ideas on how to stimulate interest...I guess trying to move the draft up to May might help..
Join better leagues. I've starting weeding out my inactive leagues.
Agree here....if you want more activity, you just need to find a league or two that fits you.

My biggest thing in my leagues is that the entire league is either "dormant" or "full out active". Either way is fine if everyone is on the same page.

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Wed May 01, 2019 10:43 am

ArrylT wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 5:16 am
jordanzs wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:56 pm Well a rookie draft in August is a major red flag. Sure there are some good leagues with that but oftentimes it’s the sign of passive owners.

I will concur. If you are in more leagues, you are less concerned with a couple that are less active in the off-season - so long as they remain active at the right times (draft times & regular season). Otherwise the advice mentioned usually works - spreading the calendar throughout the off-season, and getting newer more "active" blood.
I would honestly be annoyed if all 8 of my leagues were active in the offseason and demanded activity from me.

I would be really annoyed if they had summer free agency as well. As it stands, 3 or my 8 leagues have offseason blind bidding. That’s enough. If all 8 leagues had it, I would quit a few and lower my numbers.

That’s just me though. No right or wrong answer.

Trimble87
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Trimble87 » Wed May 01, 2019 10:44 am

We do our rookie draft at the end of May and I think that is too late lol. This is our schedule for the offseason:
  • 2/14 Enable dropping players for paid owners
    2/15 League Fee Due (start weekly cap hit penalties for late payments)
    3/08 League Fee Deadline (replace unpaid owners)
    3/11 Open trading; begin tagging players
    3/27 Deadline to declare tags (2 weeks into NFL FA)
    3/28 Restricted Free Agency offers can be made
    4/02 No new RFA offers; current owners can begin matching any offers received
    4/05 Start of league year; deadline to match RFA offers; Free Agency bidding opens
    4/23 End of Free Agency (no new auctions, ongoing auctions allowed to finish)
    5/20 Rookie draft (about 1 month after NFL draft)
    5/27 Begin Grab-N-Go Free Agency
This is my primary Dynasty League and it is a salary cap league with player contracts (money/years). This makes it more complex and makes for more engaged owners then standard Dynasty. But I find this schedule keeps everyone very engaged through the early part of the year.

The biggest lull for us is over the summer (June/July) but I actually don't mind that as I need a mental break from Dynasty at some point lol.
16 Team, PPR, Big Play Bonuses, Milestone Bonuses Full Dynasty with Contracts/Salary Cap

QB: Baker Mayfield $7/4 (R), Tom Brady $30/1
RB: David Johnson $16/3, Dalvin Cook $8/1 (R), Sony Michel $8/2 (R), Miles Sanders $8/3 (R), Chris Thompson ($12/1), Ito Smith $5/2 (R), Justice Hill $6/3 (R)
WR: Deandre Hopkins $35/3, Juju Smith Schuster $7/1 (R), Tyler Boyd $33/1, Corey Davis $9/1 (R), Marquise Brown $7/3 (R), Dante Pettis $4/2 (R), Marquise Goodwin $8/1, Richie James $4/2 (R), Kelvin Harmon $5/3 (R)
TE: George Kittle $5/1, Darren Waller $6/1, Jake Butt $5/1 (R), Charles Clay $5/1
K: Justin Tucker $8/3,
DE/DL: Demarcus Lawrence $11/2, Calais Campbell $11/1, Chris Jones $15/2, Marcell Darius $3/1, Chase Winovch $3/3 (R)
LB: Kwon Alexander $6/2, Corey Littleton $13/1, Zach Cunningham $4/1 (R), Rashaan Evans $5/2 (R)
CB/S: John Johnson $6/3, Landon Collins $10/2, Justin Simmons $5/1, Ronald Darby $4/2, Juan Thornhill $3/3 (R)

2020 Picks: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 4th

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Wed May 01, 2019 10:47 am

I’ve also seen leagues with hyperactive offseason activity turn into a warm turd. Some owners feel a void in their life if they don’t make an “exhilaration trade”. So they trade just to trade. And they backpedal their team into the toliet just to get their trade-fix.

I give more respect to the owner who doesn’t trade much in the offseason but brings the A-game when he competes each week.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Wed May 01, 2019 11:15 am

jordanzs wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 10:47 am I’ve also seen leagues with hyperactive offseason activity turn into a warm turd. Some owners feel a void in their life if they don’t make an “exhilaration trade”. So they trade just to trade. And they backpedal their team into the toliet just to get their trade-fix.

I give more respect to the owner who doesn’t trade much in the offseason but brings the A-game when he competes each week.
Yes. Why is it even necessary to trade in July? It's usually not...

Furlo610
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Inactive League Members

Postby Furlo610 » Wed May 08, 2019 6:59 am

Is anyone else in a league with members that don't pay attention in the offseason and don't check their roster/rookies until the start of summer? It's the most frustrating thing ever that no one pays attention to a dynasty team year round, ammirite???!!!