Rookie drafts - tiers

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
trc
Captain
Captain

Rookie drafts - tiers

Postby trc » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:03 am

One of my favorite things about rookie drafts is preparing my draft board.
At first I don't work with rankings but rather tiers.

As this draft was kinda meh to the dynasty community, the tiers also got a bit more difficult to set.

So - how is you tiers in the 1st round (12team, 1QB, ppr)?

Mine is, for now, like this:
1.01 - 1.02
1.03 - 1.09
1.09 - 1.12

I think this group is one big cluster, and you could argue the picks from 1.03-1.12 is the same...

Titans95
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: Rookie drafts - tiers

Postby Titans95 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:57 am

I'd argue that Jacobs is in a tier with himself

Then I'd stay Sanders/Montgomery/Harry/Samuel are in the next tier

Then Hockenson and the rest of the receivers in the next

Jason3123
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Jason3123 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:47 am

Tier 1:
Harry
Jacobs

Tier 2:
Sanders
Montgomery
AJ Brown
Fant

Tier 3:
TJ Hockenson
DK Metcalf
JJAW
Andy Isabella

Tier 4:
Kyler Murray
Deebo
Marquise
Irv Smith
Parris

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:57 am

I am not a fan of the strategy of just throwing guys into tiers, being done with it, and trading down and letting someone else make the decision for you. I know that this is just your first pass, but a lot of people do it as their final move and give advice to do as much all over the board.

The reality is even if you have guys in the same tier, you like one guy better than another by some amount. Make a decision and get that guy, imo. It's not like all of the guys in the same tier are going to finish their careers with basically the same scoring. There are going to be massive differences so if you're even a little more confident in one guy than another go get him.

I remember years back when Le'Veon and Montee Ball were in the same tier. I traded an at-the-time reasonably valuable Steve Johnson to move up from 1.04 to 1.03 to grab Bell and I remember getting absolutely lambasted for giving up a strong WR2 to move up in the same "tier". It's not like being in the same tier meant Ball was going to score 98% of the career points as Bell. Obviously they ended up going in completely opposite directions.

We often make fun of our wives for the whole "What do you want for dinner? I dunno, what do you want I'm fine with anything" meme. Then so many here turn around and go "who do you want at 1.03? I dunno, who do you want there I'm fine with whatever is left".

Man up and make a decision people!
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:19 am

Vcize wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:57 am
Challenge accepted!

Ravioli
Hamburgers
Pizza
Spaghetti

In that order. 8-)
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:21 am

Vcize wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:57 am Hahahaha I remember years back when Le'Veon and Montee Ball were in the same tier. I traded an at-the-time reasonably valuable Steve Johnson to move up from 1.04 to 1.03 to grab Bell and I remember getting absolutely lambasted for giving up a strong WR2 to move up in the same "tier". It's not like being in the same tier meant Ball was going to score 98% of the career points as Bell.
Tier 1 was 7 players deep that year:

Gio, Lacy, Ball, Bell, tavon, corderrele, Hopkins. Lol

I also remember a draft tier 1 that included Amari, Kevin White, and Melvin Gordon.

And another tier that included Derek Henry, Treadwell, Doctson, and Corey Coleman. With Michael Thomas and Sheppard in a tier right behind them, but you looked like a guppy if you took Thomas before any of those guys.

This happens every year. The names change but the pattern remains.

Good times!!!!

I don’t mind trading back though in tiers as IF you have the right trade partner, you can pick up extra capital while sometimes saving yourself from the wrong dice roll. I traded back once and ended up with Hopkins at the end of that tier. If I stayed at my pick, it would’ve been corderrele for sure. And after his rookie year i would’ve been stoked. Anything can happen. But I won’t stall drafts looking for tradebacks which some people do
Last edited by jordanzs on Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:23 am

ArrylT wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:19 am
Challenge accepted!

Ravioli
Hamburgers
Pizza
Spaghetti

In that order. 8-)
This is OUTLANDISH!
Everyone knows it's:

Pizza
Hamburgers
Spaghetti
Ravioli :wave:
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:25 am

Challenge accepted!

Ravioli
Hamburgers
Pizza
Spaghetti

In that order. 8-)
Ahem! Respect the thread title!

Ravioli
Spaghetti
-tier break-
Meatloaf
Sloppy Joe
-tier break-
Hamburger
Pizza
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:32 am

trc wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:03 am One of my favorite things about rookie drafts is preparing my draft board.
At first I don't work with rankings but rather tiers.

As this draft was kinda meh to the dynasty community, the tiers also got a bit more difficult to set.

So - how is you tiers in the 1st round (12team, 1QB, ppr)?

Mine is, for now, like this:
1.01 - 1.02
1.03 - 1.09
1.09 - 1.12

I think this group is one big cluster, and you could argue the picks from 1.03-1.12 is the same...
Sorry I couldnt resist VCizes post.

In answer to your question I think we all do this to some extent or another, whether using rankings or tiers or a combination of both. I also think how you tier this year is going to depend on how you see the players and how you see the landing spots.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

trc
Captain
Captain

Postby trc » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:20 pm

Vcize wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:57 am I am not a fan of the strategy of just throwing guys into tiers, being done with it, and trading down and letting someone else make the decision for you. I know that this is just your first pass, but a lot of people do it as their final move and give advice to do as much all over the board.

The reality is even if you have guys in the same tier, you like one guy better than another by some amount. Make a decision and get that guy, imo. It's not like all of the guys in the same tier are going to finish their careers with basically the same scoring. There are going to be massive differences so if you're even a little more confident in one guy than another go get him.

I remember years back when Le'Veon and Montee Ball were in the same tier. I traded an at-the-time reasonably valuable Steve Johnson to move up from 1.04 to 1.03 to grab Bell and I remember getting absolutely lambasted for giving up a strong WR2 to move up in the same "tier". It's not like being in the same tier meant Ball was going to score 98% of the career points as Bell. Obviously they ended up going in completely opposite directions.

We often make fun of our wives for the whole "What do you want for dinner? I dunno, what do you want I'm fine with anything" meme. Then so many here turn around and go "who do you want at 1.03? I dunno, who do you want there I'm fine with whatever is left".

I'm simply not going to put them in tiers and then roll the dice. But starting with tiers helps me in the proces of choosing my favorites.
I can see that my initial post seems a tad lazy, to my defence I was cornered by the home president :silent:

I just can't figure out this draft class - It's all over the place, and all the fragmented discussions are pointing i very different directions. Except for Jacobs and Harry at top.

Simply looking for perspectives/help, but it could end up being more confusing.

IR1
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby IR1 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:26 pm

Pullo Vision wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:25 am
Challenge accepted!

Ravioli
Hamburgers
Pizza
Spaghetti

In that order. 8-)
Ahem! Respect the thread title!

Ravioli
Spaghetti
-tier break-
Meatloaf
Sloppy Joe
-tier break-
Hamburger
Pizza
Can we clarify what type of ravioli? Toasted is an easy 1st for me :D
10Team PPR-QB/RB/WR/WR/TE/PK/flex-DT/DE/DE/LB/LB/LB/CB/CB/S/S/flex
QB- Herbert, Tua
RB- Barkley, Swift, Montgomery, Dobbins, Walker
WR-Adams, ARSB, JWilliams, Godwin, Metcalf, Allen, Kirk, Flowers
TE- Kelce, Goedert
PK
DT- Buckner, Simmons, QWilliams,
DE- Hunter, JBosa, Thibodeaux, JPHillips, Rousseau, Paye, Greenard
LB- Edmunds, Warner, E Kendricks, Wagner, De"Vondre Campbell, Asamoah, Sanders
CB- Moore, Howard, Reed
S- Dugger, Pitre, Thompson
IR Dobbins, Dulcich
Taxi- Kincaid, QJohnston

Life of Pablo
Starter
Starter

Postby Life of Pablo » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:58 pm

Vcize wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:57 am I remember years back when Le'Veon and Montee Ball were in the same tier. I traded an at-the-time reasonably valuable Steve Johnson to move up from 1.04 to 1.03 to grab Bell and I remember getting absolutely lambasted for giving up a strong WR2 to move up in the same "tier". It's not like being in the same tier meant Ball was going to score 98% of the career points as Bell. Obviously they ended up going in completely opposite directions.
While I agree with this line of thinking in theory, the critical flaw when actually applying it is that for every person that preferred Le'Veon > Montee, there's another guy who thought the opposite. What if you gave up value in order to secure Montee instead? This line of thinking really only works if you put a lot of trust in your own evaluations. A lot of people will eventually end up developing their own draft strategy/philosophy based heavily on their own anecdotal successes or failures. Reality is that it's incredibly hard for us to accurately predict how things will play out, so tiers help to mitigate our risk on those coin-flip decisions and maximize perceived value when the opportunity presents itself. I would argue that if you traded up to take Le'Veon over Montee, then you really never had those two in the same tier in the first place, even if the dynasty community at-large did.

But yes, you should get "your" guy if you feel strongly enough about them. It's much easier to live with a wrong decision when it's a guy that you believed in, rather than it just happened to be the guy to fell into your lap. I traded up to get "my" guy Foreman over Kamara, which stung, but it didn't stop me two years later from trading up again to get Chubb over RoJo.
10-team standard, 18-man rosters (plus K/D + 1 IR + 2 TAXI)
1QB | 2RB | 2WR | 1TE | 1FLEX
2021: 8-6, 5th (AP: 76-50 / 60.3%, 3rd) ||| Runner-up
2022: 5-1, 2nd (AP: 47-7 / 87.0%, 1st)

QB: Hurts, Russ, Carr
RB: Chubb, Pierce, Swift, JRob, D'Ernest, Ford
WR: Diggs, Evans, GDavis, Nuk, Keenan, Hollywood, Mooney, CSamuel, Doubs
TE: Kelce, Dulcich, Fant
2023 Picks: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th
2024 Picks: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th

Krypto_King
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Krypto_King » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:45 pm

Vcize wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:57 am I am not a fan of the strategy of just throwing guys into tiers, being done with it, and trading down and letting someone else make the decision for you. I know that this is just your first pass, but a lot of people do it as their final move and give advice to do as much all over the board.

this is a bit weird. obviously you did not have Ball and Bell in the same tier so not sure what you're even saying

M-Dub
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby M-Dub » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:18 pm

Tier 1:
Jacobs, Harry

Tier 2:
Campbell, Sanders, AJB, Deebo, DK

Tier 3:
Isabella, Montgomery, JJAWS

Tier 4:
Murray, Hock, Fant, Hollywood, Hardman
Both are 12-team 1QB PPR dynasties

🦬PRIME🦬
QB: Hurts, Howell
RB: Mixon, Jones, Sanders, Dobbins, Akers, Roschon, Dowdle, Kelley
WR: Nuk, Godwin, Cooper, Lockett, Flowers, Chark, Collins, Hollins, Tillman, Tolbert
TE: Hockenson, Chig, Trautman
Taxi: Willis, Z. White, M. Mims, T. Palmer

Hull Awaits
$450 cap, 60 contract years

QB: Lawrence $5/3, Richardson $5/5, Minshew $1/0, Jones $1/0, Heinicke $1/0, Tyrod $1/0
RB: Achane $4/4, Warren $2/4, Roschon $7/5, Dillon $4/1, Hubbard $2/1, Kelley $1/0
WR: Nuk $78/1, MT $25/1, M. Williams $1/0, JSN $21/5, Reed $4/5, Rice $4/5, M. Wilson $2/5
TE: Thomas $1/0, Hill $1/0, Parham $1/0

Hottoddies
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Hottoddies » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:23 pm

M-Dub wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:18 pm Tier 1:
Jacobs, Harry

Tier 2:
Campbell, Sanders, AJB, Deebo, DK

Tier 3:
Isabella, Montgomery, JJAWS

Tier 4:
Murray, Hock, Fant, Hollywood, Hardman
I could get on board with this breakdown. The only thing I would change is moving Fant into that 3rd tier.
"Smart people learn from everything and everyone, average people from their experiences, stupid people already have all the answers." - Socrates