Donte Moncrief.

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Re: Donte Moncrief.

Postby ninotoreS » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:15 am

Mark Kaboly of The Athletic reports Moncrief is "a slam dunk" for the no. 2 job.

I'd link the article, but Athletic has a paywall. Athletic's writers are usually pretty good. FWIW Kaboly's opinion is derived from watching OTAs/minicamp.

Also...

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/06/wr-di ... r-of-otas/

Enter another challenger for slot snaps. Spencer could push Rogers and/or Switzer off the 53.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:47 pm

Moncrief’s NFL game speed has been consistently slow. Looks mechanical out there.

He could be okay in a new environment but not a player I will target.

Probably a hold to those that own him.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:53 pm

Johnny Canuck wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:36 am
IZigUZag wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:25 pm Possibly, but the guy couldn't get going with Andrew Luck as his QB. He's one hell of an athlete.. but how much does that actually matter for a receiver? I believe he has had more problems than just bad QB play up this point.
Lord_Varys wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:26 am All that talent has had him peak at 64 for 773 and 6 TDs in 16 games his sophomore year with Andrew Luck. Are we sure his talent is low-end WR2? There's a lotta good WRs out there.

His situation is one where he's competing with 2 young WRs that Pittsburgh spent 2nd round picks on. Good QB and opportunity perhaps... but not exactly loads of targets available for him.
These things aren't exactly true.

Moncrief hasn't exactly had the version of Luck we all know, or a very common start to his career.

2014: he was a rookie, and put up okay numbers for a rook. Esp considering he was the WR3, as Reggie Wayne was still serviceable at this point.

2015: during his "peak", Luck only played 7 games. In those 7 games, Moncrief was pacing for 73 catches/800 yards/11 TDs. That would of been about 219 ppr pts, and ranked at WR19 this yr (just behind Lockett, OBJ, and Cooper). Similar to Davante Adams 3rd and 4th yr seasons.

2016: was marred by injury and he only played 9 games. His play dropped off, he was always on/off the injury report, and his pace that season dropped for yardage but still would of been great for TDs. 53 catches/546 yards/12 TDs. Still would of been at a 179.2 ppr pts, and ranked at WR 30 this yr. (similar to Mike Williams sophomore season in 2018). *It should also be noted, that Luck was playing injured all yr in 2016 as well.

2017: Luck sat out, and Moncrief played 12 games with Jacoby Brissett. It was a down yr for every colt, including making ppl think TY was done.

2018: Another yr on the QB struggle bus with Bortles and co. The Jags were a tire fire last yr, so expecting big numbers would of been a bit much.

2019: Now he's paired with Big Ben, and they have 208 vacated targets between Brown and Jesse James going. His competition are two recent 2nd rounders, one in Washington who was highly touted, but also had one of the lowest pff scores for a rookie WR ever, and one who was a somewhat unheralded rookie at the draft.

The steelers have maintained one of the highest WR2 market shares in the NFL, and that's not just from Juju, that's historically. Obvs we don't know who is going to win that WR gig, but whoever does is primed for a breakout season. Based on the recent reports I'd put money on Moncrief or Johnson, but who knows, maybe Washington makes a surge in training camp. Either way, Moncrief is by far the cheapest ticket to this lottery, and has at least an equal chance of winning the role.

I wouldn't count him out for "not producing with Luck," he was decent with Luck when both were healthy, they just both had weird injury circumstances overlap their shared time in Indy.

Whomever wins that WR2 role in Pitt will very likely put up WR2 or WR3 numbers.

*Here's those Pitt WR share numbers if you're interested.
https://www.thefantasyfootballers.com/a ... -for-2019/
I wouldn't say anyone who should be trusted thought TY was done when he played with Jacoby. He still posted almost 1,000 yards receiving with a backup QB. In 2017, it's far more likely that Moncrief was simply squeezed out because he wasn't anywhere close to as good as TY Hilton as a receiver, and like many bad QBs do, they don't often get past the 1st read/Checkdown.

Pit has also done a fantastic job drafting and developing talent at the receiver position. The reason they've historically favored the WR2 postion might have something to do with the very talented WR2 that occupied it: Mike Wallace, Antonio Brown, Juju Smith-schuster. At one point their WR3 was Emmanual Sanders.... man, is Big Ben one lucky MF'er to have that kind of receiving talent to throw to year after year-- It's a lot less profitable when that seat is occupied by the Sammie Coats and the Eli Rogers of the world.

If Moncrief is worthy of targets, he'll get them. But it won't be just because he starts out as the WR2 in that offense.

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:21 pm

Ice wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:47 pm Moncrief’s NFL game speed has been consistently slow. Looks mechanical out there.
No, it hasn't, and no, he doesn't.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:17 am

ninotoreS wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:21 pm
Ice wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:47 pm Moncrief’s NFL game speed has been consistently slow. Looks mechanical out there.
No, it hasn't, and no, he doesn't.
The stud that is Moncrief.
Receptions per year. 32,64,30,26,48
Games played 69, Games started 41
Catch rate 57.8% Last 3 years; (53.6, 55.3, 53.9)

At some point owners might want to consider that he just isn't very good so blaming everything under the sun but him might not be a very valid argument.

Moncrief is a marginal deep threat only. Struggles against press corners and lacks the quickness to play in the slot when asked. He will be lucky to be the WR3 on his team.

He does have good straight line speed in shorts.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby remedy29 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:17 am

Certainly good vibes on Moncrief so far;

https://www-behindthesteelcurtain-com.c ... n-nfl-news

I like that Ice posted "The stud that is Moncrief." Will be fun to reference that during the season.

gmoftheyear
Captain
Captain

Postby gmoftheyear » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:44 pm

I've always liked Moncrief despite the injuries. He is a good red zone option even with the limited catches he has gotten some years. I feel Big Ben will use Moncrief to his full potential and Donte could be a 8 to 10 touchdown guy that you can draft late in your drafts.
QB- R. Wilson, Garoppolo, Fields, Ridder, Rudolph, Hooker
RB- Ekeler, Mostert, Pacheco, Dillon, Dobbins I/R
WR- Metcalf, Pickens, Higgins, DJ Moore
TE- Kincaid, Higbee
K- Aubrey
Def- Denver, Pittsburgh

No PPR, Start 2 QBs, 2 RBS, 2 WRS, 1 TE, 1 FLEX,1 K, 1 DEF/ST. 6 pts all touchdowns
2002 Points Champion, 2007 HTH Champion, 2014 HTH Champion

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:49 pm

The buzz continues to favor Moncrief. Safest bet at this point in time to be Pitt's #2.

But I think preseason action in the 1st and 2nd quarter of those games looms large. I don't struggle to imagine Diontae or Washington swooping late to take the job, provided Moncrief fails to sufficiently stake his claim with those snaps.
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:15 am

late to this party but I added him to several teams as soon as he signed for cheap as the jury is mostly in it seems but I feel like he will be a solid bye week injury depth guy anon my teams which nearly all are contenders . The DLF EARLY BIRD LEAGUE EXPERIMENT being a notable exception; that league will be hard on my ego but I wanted a train wreck to fix so I built one from scratch.
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

Flgatorguy87
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Flgatorguy87 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:00 am

I'm getting interest from owners now realizing he has a really good chance to be an every down player in a good offense across from JuJu. What's his value now?
SF PPR 30 man roster 5 taxi 2 IR
QB, 3WR, 2RB, 2TE, 2FLEX , Superflex

A. Rodgers, J. Goff, D. Lock, Ta. Hill

O. Beckham, Antonio Brown, M. Evans, A. Robinson, S. Diggs, C. Sutton, T. Boyd, Jakobi Meyers, S. Sims Jr., Darius Slayton

S. Barkley, Da. Cook, Cam Akers, JK Dobbins, R. Penny, Ronald Jones, W. Gallman, Duke Johnson, AJ Dillon, Darrynton Evans, DeeJay Dallas, L. Perine

G. Kittle, M. Andrews, H. Hurst

Taxi: R. Armstead, Joe Reed, L. Bowden Jr., I. Coulter, Scotty Miller

2021 - 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 5th

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:16 am

According to Mizelle ADP, next to Funchess- http://mizelle.net/mfl/2019/

According to the trade analyzer, he's worth less than 3.2 (don't know how often it updates)- http://apps.dynastyleaguefootball.com/t ... values.php

Both have him near Alexander Mattison.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

IR1
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby IR1 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:38 pm

Hoping more hype develops and I can get a 2020 2nd, even if I have to add a little
10Team PPR-QB/RB/WR/WR/TE/PK/flex-DT/DE/DE/LB/LB/LB/CB/CB/S/S/flex
QB- Herbert, Tua
RB- Barkley, Swift, Montgomery, Dobbins, Walker
WR-Adams, ARSB, JWilliams, Godwin, Metcalf, Allen, Kirk, Flowers
TE- Kelce, Goedert
PK
DT- Buckner, Simmons, QWilliams,
DE- Hunter, JBosa, Thibodeaux, JPHillips, Rousseau, Paye, Greenard
LB- Edmunds, Warner, E Kendricks, Wagner, De"Vondre Campbell, Asamoah, Sanders
CB- Moore, Howard, Reed
S- Dugger, Pitre, Thompson
IR Dobbins, Dulcich
Taxi- Kincaid, QJohnston

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:01 pm

IR1 wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:38 pm Hoping more hype develops and I can get a 2020 2nd, even if I have to add a little
That would be a huge win in my book

snaps06
Captain
Captain

Postby snaps06 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:19 pm

Moncrief gets hype basically every year, then fails to perform at the level the hype builds to. It's like clockwork. Maybe Pitt will be better for him, but don't be surprised if he has a major fall-off at about game 4. If I owned him, I'd be cautiously optimistic.

Lord_Varys
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Lord_Varys » Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:10 pm

snaps06 wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:19 pm Moncrief gets hype basically every year, then fails to perform at the level the hype builds to. It's like clockwork. Maybe Pitt will be better for him, but don't be surprised if he has a major fall-off at about game 4. If I owned him, I'd be cautiously optimistic.
No hype in Jacksonville and did well considering Bortles was the qb.