Up is Down, and the Giants are now the Jets

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
jetsfan5757
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: Up is Down, and the Giants are now the Jets

Postby jetsfan5757 » Sat May 04, 2019 8:45 pm

Ice wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 7:38 am
Haskins had great weapons but has sloth like mobility. I thought he would have been a bigger reach. He had media love and a stronger arm but I have my doubts with his release and not sure he can handle the speed of the game.
Disagree. Haskins like Brady in terms of mobility, if not better (physically, not necessarily mentally where Brady is elite). Very slow running, but very capable sliding within pocket to avoid pressure.
Dynasty League (25 man rosters + 2 IR, non-PPR scoring. QB/3RB/3WR/2TE/K/DB/LB/DL no flex)

QB (1): Herbert, Lawrence, Darnold
RB (3): N. Chubb, D. Henry, J. Taylor, JK Dobbins, Pollard, Singletary, L. Murray
WR (3): D. Hopkins, D. Adams, M. Evans, D.J. Moore, DJ Chark, B. Aiyuk, J. Smith-Schuster, R Bateman, E. Moore
TE (2): I. Smith Jr, H. Henry, Schultz, Tremble

K (1): M. Crosby

DB (1): J. Adams
LB (1): F. Warner
DL (1): D. Lawrence

PS: I often don't revisit a thread after posting. Send me a message if you ever want further thoughts on a comment I made.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Sun May 05, 2019 5:01 am

This isn't just about the QB though - though that is the most glaring example of how much Gettleman is feeling himself. He is DESTROYING this roster. To whit, since getting the job last offseason, he has:

- Misevaluated his roster for his first season completely (calling them competitors, whilst being anything but)
- Taken a RB second in the draft, whilst scoffing at the idea of trading down (and losing out on his choice of 4 great QB prospects)
- Traded a top-3 WR in his prime and under contract for a pick and a box safety (but not before running the last box safety out of town for being... a box safety)
- With that pick, selected a 300+ pound run-stopping lineman (sigh)
- Traded back into the first round, moving up 7 spots, to draft a CB most had ranked 3rd-5th, when zero CB's had been taken yet (siiiigh)

And then the QB stuff... committing to Eli as the QB... but then to reach on Jones, claim that "someone else would have taken them" (so what, let them reach! - someone bluffed him good on that one) and completely whiff his draft capital in an all-time defensive draft with Josh Allen staring him in the face... it's enough to make Giants fans go blind, I swear.

(Meanwhile, the Jets come out of the last two drafts with Sam Darnold, Quinnen Williams, Jachai Polite...)

I guess all I'm saying is, when you feel like YOU could do a better job at the gamesmanship and card-playing of the NFL draft than the current GM, then you know it's bleak. And I probably didn't even remember all of it in the list above, that was just from memory... :doh:

Mjvb5
Legend
Legend

Postby Mjvb5 » Sun May 05, 2019 11:54 am

mild wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 5:01 am This isn't just about the QB though - though that is the most glaring example of how much Gettleman is feeling himself. He is DESTROYING this roster. To whit, since getting the job last offseason, he has:

- Misevaluated his roster for his first season completely (calling them competitors, whilst being anything but)
- Taken a RB second in the draft, whilst scoffing at the idea of trading down (and losing out on his choice of 4 great QB prospects)
- Traded a top-3 WR in his prime and under contract for a pick and a box safety (but not before running the last box safety out of town for being... a box safety)
- With that pick, selected a 300+ pound run-stopping lineman (sigh)
- Traded back into the first round, moving up 7 spots, to draft a CB most had ranked 3rd-5th, when zero CB's had been taken yet (siiiigh)

And then the QB stuff... committing to Eli as the QB... but then to reach on Jones, claim that "someone else would have taken them" (so what, let them reach! - someone bluffed him good on that one) and completely whiff his draft capital in an all-time defensive draft with Josh Allen staring him in the face... it's enough to make Giants fans go blind, I swear.

(Meanwhile, the Jets come out of the last two drafts with Sam Darnold, Quinnen Williams, Jachai Polite...)

I guess all I'm saying is, when you feel like YOU could do a better job at the gamesmanship and card-playing of the NFL draft than the current GM, then you know it's bleak. And I probably didn't even remember all of it in the list above, that was just from memory... :doh:
The thing with this especially is that while dexter Lawrence was... fine as value . I would’ve rather had tillery, Simmons, a couple OL or the CBS. You just traded Damon who wasn’t payed agregiously and is the best run stopping DT

I hate gettlemans philosophy of roster evaluation and player valuing, then making excuses

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Wed May 15, 2019 3:44 pm

Guess the Jets got jealous of the Giants ... :lol:
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Wed May 15, 2019 6:56 pm

ArrylT wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 3:44 pm Guess the Jets got jealous of the Giants ... :lol:
Yeah, the Jets went and snatched their crown back.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

jetsfan5757
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby jetsfan5757 » Wed May 22, 2019 9:16 pm

I'm usually game to bash the Jets as well, after so much losing you have to let off some steam.

BUT, in this case I think the media makes it seem worse than it actually was. He's not the first GM to oversee a draft for continuity reasons before he gets fired (although it probably was the first time an owner let him use up 100+ million in cap space before showing him the door).

I'm contradicting myself a bit because it wasn't a great look, but it wasn't as bad as people make it seem either.
Dynasty League (25 man rosters + 2 IR, non-PPR scoring. QB/3RB/3WR/2TE/K/DB/LB/DL no flex)

QB (1): Herbert, Lawrence, Darnold
RB (3): N. Chubb, D. Henry, J. Taylor, JK Dobbins, Pollard, Singletary, L. Murray
WR (3): D. Hopkins, D. Adams, M. Evans, D.J. Moore, DJ Chark, B. Aiyuk, J. Smith-Schuster, R Bateman, E. Moore
TE (2): I. Smith Jr, H. Henry, Schultz, Tremble

K (1): M. Crosby

DB (1): J. Adams
LB (1): F. Warner
DL (1): D. Lawrence

PS: I often don't revisit a thread after posting. Send me a message if you ever want further thoughts on a comment I made.

Plank
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Plank » Thu May 23, 2019 4:53 am

I'd be concerned if I were a Jets fan .. I really don't think Gase isn't the answer, abrasive, personality conflicts .. think he would learn from his tenure with Miami.

Not even a Jets fan, but I am upset, because seems they have a really good core of players ... Hope I am wrong, but feel that Gase is going to ruin this while they could be up and coming on Darnold's rookie contract .. ugh.
@PlankMelody

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Sat May 25, 2019 6:43 pm

I think there can be a fine line between a "genius" and "narcissism". I believe that is in part the point of the fable "The Emperor Has No Clothes" because at some point talented coaches / players / executives start to believe their own press. Then they get caught up in their own worldview and people outside that perspective see that they have "no clothes" while they think they are doing amazing.

I think one of the most impressive things perhaps about Bill Belichick is that he never lost that little voice in his head that goes "you are not a god, you are not a god, you are not a god".

Adam Gase may need to learn the same lessons that former Belichick disciples have learned - like McDaniels first stint as a HC in Denver or Eric Mangini in Cleveland.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Sat May 25, 2019 9:22 pm

Nanananananana wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 9:10 am
Ice wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 7:38 am Hard to say,

Jones was my 2nd rated QB. Way too soon to tell but he looks a lot like a more athletic Eli who has a couple of titles under his belt. Like his processing speed on tape. He had horrible weapons.

I get it was a head scratcher with some of the defensive talent on the board but I think he will be better than Darnold long term who I thought was overrated. Never liked his decision making under pressure and still don’t. He is young so should get better but he makes a lot of bone headed plays.

Bottomline, it’s almost impossible to win without a QB and if you like him you take him.

Haskins had great weapons but has sloth like mobility. I thought he would have been a bigger reach. He had media love and a stronger arm but I have my doubts with his release and not sure he can handle the speed of the game.

We will know in a few years on this one.

Darnold>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Jones

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WGtHImCfh-E

Check out this game Clemson doesn’t even play a safety in the middle of the field because Jones has such a noodle arm.
No fan of Jones, bit think it's unfair to use the Clemson game. He probably dosnt have time to set hos feet against that d line, much less throw downfield...

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat May 25, 2019 10:53 pm

Cult of Dionysus wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 9:22 pm
Nanananananana wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 9:10 am
Ice wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 7:38 am Hard to say,

Jones was my 2nd rated QB. Way too soon to tell but he looks a lot like a more athletic Eli who has a couple of titles under his belt. Like his processing speed on tape. He had horrible weapons.

I get it was a head scratcher with some of the defensive talent on the board but I think he will be better than Darnold long term who I thought was overrated. Never liked his decision making under pressure and still don’t. He is young so should get better but he makes a lot of bone headed plays.

Bottomline, it’s almost impossible to win without a QB and if you like him you take him.

We will know in a few years on this one.

Darnold>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Jones

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WGtHImCfh-E

Check out this game Clemson doesn’t even play a safety in the middle of the field because Jones has such a noodle arm.
No fan of Jones, bit think it's unfair to use the Clemson game. He probably dosnt have time to set hos feet against that d line, much less throw downfield...
While I agree Darnold is a better prospect, he is and has been a turnover machine. I don't love either of them.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick