Trade Vetos

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
kmbryant09
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Trade Vetos

Postby kmbryant09 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:00 pm

Sorry to bring up such a delicate topic, but we have a situation:

One owner took over an orphaned team last year, and he's still a little behind the dynasty curve (though not a complete noob).

As Commissioner, I got an alert of a completed trade:

New owner gives: 2020 1st and 2021 1st
New owner recieves: K. Hunt, D. Lewis, M. Breida, 2019 2.08

Both 1sts are of the new owner and project heavily as top2. He has no good QB, no startable TE, a bunch of backup rbs, and JuJu and Edelman as his only productive WRs.

I know it's not collusion, but my first thought is this is the type of trade to ruin the balance and trust around the league.

Am I over-reacting?
10-team/.5 PPR/5 Pts per Passing TD. Start 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2FLEX (rb/wr/te)
QB: J. Hurts, K. Murray
RB: Bi. Robinson, D. Henry, D. Achane, , J. Cook, Z. Charbonnet, T. Chandler, R. Johnson, K. Mitchell, J.K. Dobbins, T. Allgeier, J. McLaughlin, S. Tucker, T. Bigsby
WR: G. Wilson, B. Aiyuk, J. Waddle, T. Higgins,, Z. Flowers, Di. Johnson, K. Toney, A. Iosivas
TE: K. Pitts, E. Engram, C. Okonkwo, G. Dulcich

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Re: Trade Vetos

Postby bjd5211 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:05 pm

Not a trade I would make, but not remotely worth vetoing. On talent Hunt is worth more than that alone, his situation is less than ideal currently sure, but he would be in the conversation for top 5 RB right now if the incident hadn't happened.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:26 pm

As an owner these are the types of trades I think we all secretly wish we could do, while hating to see other owners benefit from.

As a Commissioner these are the types of trades I think we Commissioners hate to see because someone is going to get up in arms about it because their perspective to them is the only perspective worth considering and they feel the trade is crap.

But do I feel the trade is vetoable? Nope. If you feel the need to veto the trade to protect the integrity of the league you're basically going to have to remove the owner.

Assuming Hunt lands in 2020 on a good team, he is easily worth a 1st - and my guess is most Hunt owners wont part with him without getting a 1st.

Assuming D. Henry gets injured, D. Lewis value becomes a 1st, or more if he does a repeat of what he can do in limited usage in NE.

Obviously that is projecting postive outcomes for the players, but that to me is no different than projecting a guaranteed negative outcome for the owners future 1sts. With 4 more months of off-season to go, who knows what he can do to build his team for the 2019 season and lessen the value of his 1st. Ive heard and seen owners do exactly that (even happened to me - a 1st I thought was a lock for top 3 ended up being 8th). Does not mean it will happen.

However I will say though that if the owner then turns around and any time soon sells either player for less draft capital (ie any 2019 2nd) you could have reason to be concerned. Basically in other words his actions deserve closer monitoring just in case it is the start of a value decline spiral. But you cannot prosecute a person on a crime they have yet to commit and you cannot fairly veto (imho) a trade based on value yet to be determined (the placement of the 1sts).
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Hottoddies
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Hottoddies » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:52 pm

I would certainly ask for two more years worth of entry fees from the new guy but this is his team to run. And if he is totally clueless as to how to play dynasty that's on you as the commissioner.
"Smart people learn from everything and everyone, average people from their experiences, stupid people already have all the answers." - Socrates

Blueboy
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Blueboy » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:53 pm

Everything ArrylT said. Maybe talk to the owner giving the firsts, make sure he's got a good idea of what he's given up. Sometimes trades like that are what can lead to a new owner getting frustrated at having dug themselves into a hole, and quitting a league.

12-team SF, PPR, TE premium, 0.25 PPCarry
1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 1SF 4Flex
QB: Mahomes, Fields, Love
RB: Bijan, ETN, Pollard, Achane, Herbert
WR: Kupp, Hill, Metcalf, Ridley, Jeudy, D.J. M, Burks, Hollywood, Wan'Dale
TE: Kyle Pitts, Goedert

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:31 am

I would go to the owner that sold those firsts and explain what you just said. See if he feels OK with the trade or if he's made a terrible mistake.

If mistake, I would go to the owner that received the two firsts and tell them that the deal they got is because the new guy didn't fully understand what dynasty league draft picks were worth. Let him respond, and then say "I'm not here to work out a resolution, just stating a fact. I will email you shortly".

After that, I'd bring them together in an email and say: Now that you're both more informed of the situation, we need to come to a resolution. (New Owner) feels like he made a terrible mistake. He's not used to figuring out solutions of this magnitude yet so I am facilitating. Please "reply all" as you discuss the following:

(1) Leave the trade as-is.
(2) Add more to the player side.
(3) Subtract or exchange from draft pick side.
(4) Reverse the trade entirely and start over.
(5) Other solution not mentioned above.

I am not going to reverse the trade, but it is my duty to make sure the league runs as fair and balanced as possible. Please come to a resolution in a timely manor, thank you. (New Owner) you're first up. Reply All with your requests.

And that's that. As commissioner, I've done my part.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

WhatWouldDitkaDo
GOAT
GOAT

Postby WhatWouldDitkaDo » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:38 am

I'd rather have the two 1sts, but I literally just saw another trade on this forum of two 1sts for Hunt alone. Getting Lewis, Breida, and the 2.08 back isn't much, but it makes this trade pretty fair if someone believes in Hunt's talent.

I think you're overreacting, and vetoing a new owner's first trade is going to be much more harmful to the league than just letting him learn at his own pace.
Kittles Pox | Championships: 2015, 2017
12-Team PPR | QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DST
QB: Kyler Murray, Aaron Rodgers
RB: Christian McCaffrey, Melvin Gordon, James Conner, Phillip Lindsay, Tevin Coleman, Boston Scott, Benny Snell Jr.
WR: Tyreek Hill, Mike Evans, Cooper Kupp, Michael Gallup, Christian Kirk
TE: George Kittle, Travis Kelce | K: Younghoe Koo | DST: SF
PS: Mecole Hardman, Tony Pollard | 2020 Picks: 1.09, 2.10, 3.03 | 2021 Picks: 1st, 2nd

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:03 am

WhatWouldDitkaDo wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:38 am I'd rather have the two 1sts, but I literally just saw another trade on this forum of two 1sts for Hunt alone. Getting Lewis, Breida, and the 2.08 back isn't much, but it makes this trade pretty fair if someone believes in Hunt's talent.

I think you're overreacting, and vetoing a new owner's first trade is going to be much more harmful to the league than just letting him learn at his own pace.
My guess would be that it’s the same owner and he posted his completed trade in the dynasty advise forum.

I would make him pay his future entry fees if there’s any question that he could bolt and leave the team in shambles

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:01 am

jordanzs wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:03 am
WhatWouldDitkaDo wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:38 am I'd rather have the two 1sts, but I literally just saw another trade on this forum of two 1sts for Hunt alone. Getting Lewis, Breida, and the 2.08 back isn't much, but it makes this trade pretty fair if someone believes in Hunt's talent.

My guess would be that it’s the same owner and he posted his completed trade in the dynasty advise forum.

I would make him pay his future entry fees if there’s any question that he could bolt and leave the team in shambles
Well that should be standard operating procedure anytime anyone trades future 1st round picks, regardless of how questionable an owner or trade may be in your opinion.

Pet_Smith
Starter
Starter

Postby Pet_Smith » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:24 am

Get the entry fees... and that's it. Projected early firsts? for 2020 and 2021?? no way to tell, especially for 2021.

the owner getting the firsts is certainly hoping that's the case, but he's giving up 5 assets for no return this year.

Hunt is the most valuable piece in this trade, he's giving up 4 more "assets" on top, for a first next year and one in two years time. Perfectly acceptable trade.
Dynasty - 9th year, 12-team, Standard scoring, 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2FLEX, 1K, 1DE/DT, 1LB, 1CB/S - 25man roster / 6 Taxi Squad
'17 Champ, '18 Runner Up, '23 rebuild

QB Watson, A Richardson, O' Connel (TS)
RB Gibbs, Akers, Dillon Carter, Bigsby, Chase Brown, Mcintosh, Tucker, Hull (TS)
WR Metcalf, DJ Moore, Addison, Meyers, Van Jefferson, Collins, Claypool, Mingo (TS), Hyatt (TS), Wilson (TS)
TE Higbee, Freirmuth, Otton (TS)
K Joseph
DE/DT Hunter
LB Franklin Simmons
C/S James

1.01, 1.04

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:30 am

No veto, just get the entry fees for 2020 and 2021.

You could also suggest that he do some reading of dynasty sites or listening to podcasts.
I'd hesitate to ever tell someone that their trade was bad and that they should just listen to you.

That being said, I don't think this trade is actually that bad. No way of knowing where exactly those picks will be and Hunt is still a nice piece. D Lewis and Breida aren't bad, and if an injury occurs to either RBs ahead of them they could see some nice production.
Team #1: 2nd place
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Kyler, AR
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, chandler
W: Evans, Chase, Mooney, Collins, Dell, Pickens
T: Kelce, Goedert
D: nyj
K: Sanders

Team #2: back to back champion
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: R Wilson, Murray, Watson
R: Swift, Walker, gus bus
W: Puka, Metcalf, Dell, Cooper, DJM, K Allen
T: Kelce, Pitts
K: Tucker
D: CLE

Team #3: back to back champion
14 team, SF, 1PPR (2PPR for TE), 1Q,2R,3W,1T,1SF,2F

Q: Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson, Heinicke, walker
R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Wilson, Charb, Z White, McLaughlin, freeman, d Williams, Reynolds,
W: Waddle, A St Brown, K Allen, Cooper, Nuk, Juju
T: Kelce, Schultz, Thomas, Ferguson

Team #4 3rd
https://www49.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0004&O=01

Team #5 4th
https://www45.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =07&F=0009

Team #6 orphan
https://www46.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0013&O=07

moishetreats
Legend
Legend

Postby moishetreats » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:41 am

kmbryant09 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:00 pm One owner took over an orphaned team last year, and he's still a little behind the dynasty curve (though not a complete noob)...

I know it's not collusion, but my first thought is this is the type of trade to ruin the balance and trust around the league.

Am I over-reacting?
He's not a "new owner" anymore. You're using "new owner" language here to try to explain to yourself why he made such a "bad" trade. Honestly, let all this go. You -- and the league -- must see by now that he is prepared to use picks as trade chips to acquire players. So be it. And start making offers accordingly.

The only thing that will "ruin the balance and trust around the league" is continual complaints and calls for trade vetoes. Let it all go, and treat him like any other owner: know what he values and doesn't, and make offers accordingly.
10 tms 27 plrs PPR
Start: 2QB 2RB 3WR 2TE 2Flex / best ball

QB: Herbert, Love, Rodgers, G Smith, Stidham, T Taylor, Hall
RB: McCaffrey, Mixon, Pacheco, Montgomery, Z White, Allgeier, Dillon
WR: Hill, St. Brown, Kupp, Allen, Lockett, B Johnson
TE: Kelce, Kmet, Kraft, Okonkwo, Dulcich, Tremble

2024: 2.09, 3.07, 3.08, 3.10, 4.08
2025: 2nd (x2), 4th, 5th (x2)
2026: 1st, 2nd (x2), 3rd, 4th, 5th

12 tms 22 active plyrs. Salary Cap $300 PPR
Start: 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1SF 1Flex / best ball

QB: Lawrence (contract through 2026), Love ('24), Rodgers ('24), Stidham ('25), Lock ('25)
RB: Bijan Robinson ('25), Pollard ('27), Dillon ('24), Rodriguez ('24), Spiller ('24)
WR: G Wilson ('26), AJ Brown ('26), DJ Montgomery ('25)
TE: --
2024 Cap Spent: $186

IR: --
TAXI SQUAD (4 max): --

Flgatorguy87
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Flgatorguy87 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:56 pm

Don't overreact. As long as he doesn't quit, then he will learn a lesson if he digs himself a hole. As long as he is paying it's his team.

EDIT: and tell the bastard to run his trades through a calculator at the minimum.
SF PPR 30 man roster 5 taxi 2 IR
QB, 3WR, 2RB, 2TE, 2FLEX , Superflex

A. Rodgers, J. Goff, D. Lock, Ta. Hill

O. Beckham, Antonio Brown, M. Evans, A. Robinson, S. Diggs, C. Sutton, T. Boyd, Jakobi Meyers, S. Sims Jr., Darius Slayton

S. Barkley, Da. Cook, Cam Akers, JK Dobbins, R. Penny, Ronald Jones, W. Gallman, Duke Johnson, AJ Dillon, Darrynton Evans, DeeJay Dallas, L. Perine

G. Kittle, M. Andrews, H. Hurst

Taxi: R. Armstead, Joe Reed, L. Bowden Jr., I. Coulter, Scotty Miller

2021 - 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 5th

Blueboy
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Blueboy » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:16 pm

Glad to see that bastard is still slinging in the western lexicon. Highly underutilized insult.

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:33 pm

kmbryant09 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:00 pm I know it's not collusion
and that's all that is needed.

as for the "make him pay future seasons", that should be a requirement for every owner, or none at all. if i had to pay for three seasons while all the others pay one only because they think they know best i'd seriously tell everyone to go and bleep their mothers. (pay for 1 season + every season you give away picks in is of course fine, just has to be the same for everyone)

and ultimately, if you want to stop trades because you think are bad, you might as well take over the team yourself.