2019 Rookie RB Review (Round 2 - Updated Daily Pre-Draft)

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

2019 Rookie RB Review (Round 2 - Updated Daily Pre-Draft)

Postby MEuRaH » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:06 pm

Well guys I said I would do this prior to the NFL draft, I just didn't realize that my wife would book a trip to Jamaica for a full week prior to it. So while she's sleeping, I'm here to write my 2nd round of this report. Maybe it'll stop all you guys from flooding my inbox asking for tips? Besides, I need a break from constant beer and liquor intake.

In case you missed it, my FIRST REPORT IS HERE. I always do these things in three steps. My first step is my initial thoughts pre-combine, which requires film only and not much else. My 2nd step (written below) is more thorough post-combine but pre-draft. My last step is post-draft because landing spot makes a difference for about 40% of the players.

This installment won't be as in depth as my first one. Now that I'm a writer for DLF, I would prefer to offer the in depth analysis to those who pay for those privileges. I will, however, give my main ranks and a short summary to follow. But first, here are some links to my DLF articles.

In-Depth RBs ADP (1-4)
In-Depth RBs ADP (5-8)
In-Depth RBs ADP (9-12)
In-Depth RBs ADP (13-16)

=====================================================

The following are tiered running backs, not in a particular official order.

RB1s - Early 1st Rounders (Guaranteed RBs who WILL be RB1s sooner than later)
Josh Jacobs - Mental mistakes are his only flaw. Fixable. More powerful than shifty.
Miles Sanders - Fumbling is his flaw, so he'll be taken later than Jacobs, but again, is easily fixable. More shifty than powerful.

RB2s - Late 1st Rounders (Guaranteed RBs who WILL be RB2s sooner than later)
Myles Gaskin - OK, I'm on board, but just barely. He has moves, he is sturdy, he has speed. Not ever a top 10 RB but he's good enough to be a top 25 perhaps.
Alex Barnes - Doesn't have ability to make defenders miss at the LOS, but checks all the other boxes. RB2 ceiling.

Maybe RB2s - 2nd Rounders (Could be RB2s with lucky placement. 50% chance)
Devin Singletary - Should be successful, but red flags all over the place. High upside, low floor. Placement says a lot.
Damien Harris - Needs to go to a power system, or else you gotta bail on this guy completely.
David Montgomery - Always played zone, but will probably thrive in a power system. Hardest runner to predict in the draft. RB1 ceiling, RB bust floor. Placement will dictate success.

Flex RBs - 3rd & 4th Rounders (RBs who should be good flex plays for their career)
Justice Hill - Straight ahead runner, no lateral movement or speed. RBBC, change-of-pace type.
Mike Weber - Smart player, gets what's given to him and nothing more.
Benny Snell - Instinctive player. Creates space, great feet, big powerful guy. RBBC, TD dependent probably.

Injury RBs - 3rd & 4th Rounders (Guys you can draft and pray/hope for something good)
Rodney Anderson - Plays with wreckless abandon. Always gets hurt.
Bryce Love - Tore his ACL in December. Won't play this year, maybe not next either. Could be an uber stud, but has complications from rehab. Great lottery ticket pick, but don't reach.

Hard Pass (RBs I'd rather not touch)
Darrell Henderson - Never before have I loved a guy so much, only to study him and decide I want no part of him. Plays hard, but not built to play that way in the NFL. Questionable ability to learn and adjust.
Trayveon Williams - He's fast. No power, no zone quickness, no anything else.
Devine Ozigbo - Slight chance at being a possible flex play for his career.
Elijah Holyfield - Touchdown dependent. His only saving grace is his vision and quick feet. Flex ceiling in the right system.
LJ Scott - Holds ball in his right hand only, doubts his own speed (chooses to go inside rather than rush to the edge), misses lanes, isn't quick enough.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: 2019 Rookie RB Review (Round 2 - Updated Daily Pre-Draft)

Postby Pullo Vision » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:50 pm

Re Darrell Henderson- "Plays hard, not built to play that way in the NFL. No placement will fix this. Not smart enough to do anything else."

Please explain how you concluded this about his intelligence.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:35 pm

Pullo Vision wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:50 pmRe Darrell Henderson- "Plays hard, not built to play that way in the NFL. No placement will fix this. Not smart enough to do anything else."

I explained in full detail on the DLF article. More thorough information is going to be given to paid subscribers.

And maybe I was harsh with my verbiage. I'll adjust it.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:55 pm

dlf_mikeh wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:35 pmAnd maybe I was harsh with my verbiage. I'll adjust it.
Don't change Mike, don't change.
;)

Nice to see your write-ups on these guys; I haven't really dove into anyone but Jacobs & Sanders at this point - but you've certainly brought up some names I'm going to go watch some tape on.

Forza_Azzurri
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Forza_Azzurri » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:47 pm

Ummmm ... Justice Hill vs. Justice Hil?

Does the loss of the “L” make him fast? Otherwise, they seem like similar RBs.

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:45 pm

Forza_Azzurri wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:47 pm Ummmm ... Justice Hill vs. Justice Hil?

Does the loss of the “L” make him fast? Otherwise, they seem like similar RBs.
No that's a different guy. Evil twin I think.

Thanks for pointing it out.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs

REAL RB GURUs:

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:59 pm

dlf_mikeh wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:35 pm
Pullo Vision wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:50 pmRe Darrell Henderson- "Plays hard, not built to play that way in the NFL. No placement will fix this. Not smart enough to do anything else."

I explained in full detail on the DLF article. More thorough information is going to be given to paid subscribers.

I understand you're trying to be pithy and I'm not dinging for the verbiage. I was genuinely interested in what aspect of his on field performance you examined to determine his intelligence level.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

Blueboy
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Blueboy » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:19 pm

Pullo Vision wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:59 pm
dlf_mikeh wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:35 pm

I understand you're trying to be pithy and I'm not dinging for the verbiage. I was genuinely interested in what aspect of his on field performance you examined to determine his intelligence level.
We can presume he's referring to "football intelligence."

bbsmitz
Rookie
Rookie

Postby bbsmitz » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:04 am

You seem to really have soured on Elijah Holyfield between your first post and now. Looking forward to reading about what changed.
12 owner, ppr league. 24 man rosters. Start 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1 WR/TE/RB.

QB: Goff, Watson
RB: Jacobs, Chubb, Guice, Royce Freeman, Duke Johnson, Tarik Cohen, Ballage, Hines, Edmonds
WR: DeAndre Hopkins, Davante Adams, Tyler Lockett, DJ Moore, Mike Williams, Justin Jefferson (Taxi), Mims (Taxi), Marquise Brown, Marquise Lee, Funchess, Hurd, Preston Williams
TE: Cook, Kittle, Gerald Everett

2020: 2.09, 4.09
2021: All picks.

BigBawseRoss
GOAT
GOAT

Postby BigBawseRoss » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:55 am

bbsmitz wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:04 am You seem to really have soured on Elijah Holyfield between your first post and now. Looking forward to reading about what changed.
was gonna say the list went all over the place from 1 to 2...
team 1
12 team, 1 pt for 4 rec, 0.1 per rush
1qb, 3 rb, 4 wr, te, k, 4 idp
Dak , Herbert
Achane, Breece Hall, KW3Kyren,Ford, Miller, Spiller, z evans, singletary
J Jefferson, Diggs, DK, D Smith Puka, C Watson, E Moore
Njoku , HH, Engram

2024 picks
1,3,4,5,5,6,7 (all late mostly)

team 2
12 team .5ppr
qb, 2 rb, 2 wr, te, flx,flx,
Fields, Dak
Ford,Mixon, Javonte, Mostert, Chubb, Spears
Hopkins, Evans, g Wilson Mingo, shaheed, Jamo
Kelce,McBride, Chig,

team 3
14 team sf, even scoring idp to offense (rb scores highly too)
Josh Allen, A Rich, Foles, Rudolph
Bijan, Charbs, Spears, Ebner
J Williams, G Wilson, C Watson, Flowers, J Addison, Tillman
Kincaid, Kolar, Ruckert, Fergeson

Kenny Clark, josh allen, jaelen phillips, felix a-u and a bunch of fluff and rookie fliers at idp

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:50 am

BigBawseRoss wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:55 am
bbsmitz wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:04 amYou seem to really have soured on Elijah Holyfield between your first post and now. Looking forward to reading about what changed.
I've done this for years. I do three rankings; pre-combine, post-combine, and post-draft.

There is usually a lot of movement for a few players. I also moved up Gaskin & Barnes quite a bit. Not as far down as Holyfield, but still...
ULTIMATE RB GURUs

REAL RB GURUs:

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:02 am

Just drafted Henderson at pick 18. Here's hoping you are wrong.

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:15 am

Phaded wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:02 am Just drafted Henderson at pick 18. Here's hoping you are wrong.
At 18, you got a steal.

Even if Henderson doesn’t have a good career, he will have sell moments. He has a lot of fans.
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:19 am

bbsmitz wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:04 am You seem to really have soured on Elijah Holyfield between your first post and now. Looking forward to reading about what changed.
Holyfield had terrible workouts so that makes sense.

The bigger surprise is that Jacobs went from tier 3 to 1st overall after workouts when his workouts were generally quite poor. That's not even to mention that the guy he jumped for #1 had possibly the best workouts of any RB.

So I guess the question there is what changed regarding Jacobs to move him up so far, since I'm assuming it wasn't his awful workout metrics.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert

bbsmitz
Rookie
Rookie

Postby bbsmitz » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:34 am

dlf_mikeh wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:50 am
BigBawseRoss wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:55 am
bbsmitz wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:04 amYou seem to really have soured on Elijah Holyfield between your first post and now. Looking forward to reading about what changed.
I've done this for years. I do three rankings; pre-combine, post-combine, and post-draft.

There is usually a lot of movement for a few players. I also moved up Gaskin & Barnes quite a bit. Not as far down as Holyfield, but still...
As a newcomer it was a bit of a surprise, but not a bad one. I'm glad you're able to reassess based on new data as opposed to feeling like you need to double down on what you've written in the past.
12 owner, ppr league. 24 man rosters. Start 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1 WR/TE/RB.

QB: Goff, Watson
RB: Jacobs, Chubb, Guice, Royce Freeman, Duke Johnson, Tarik Cohen, Ballage, Hines, Edmonds
WR: DeAndre Hopkins, Davante Adams, Tyler Lockett, DJ Moore, Mike Williams, Justin Jefferson (Taxi), Mims (Taxi), Marquise Brown, Marquise Lee, Funchess, Hurd, Preston Williams
TE: Cook, Kittle, Gerald Everett

2020: 2.09, 4.09
2021: All picks.