2019 GEDL Early Rookie Draft

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
MARKinMI
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: 2019 GEDL Early Rookie Draft

Postby MARKinMI » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:11 pm

Goirish374 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:04 pm London Fog, here.

History
I joined two years ago, much like clarion, after years of being a fanboy. i was in the middle of dumping all my MFL leagues but, for GEDL, there was not even a moment's hesitation about accepting Mark's invitation.

I found myself in the middle of a rebuild which I had to undertake with no 1st round picks. so, that was fun.

in any event i undertook what i call the Water Buffalo strategy (named after that poster's rebuild technique). I could be 5-7 years away from relevance, so i chose to first anchor my team on the longest shelf-life assets (QB, then WR) and add the shortest 3-4 years later (RB) while caring least about the most replaceable (TE). I locked up QB first thing and invested what capital i had in WR, paying little to no attention to RB or TE, by design.

Plan
I entered this draft with 1.04 and 1.05, intent on further solidifying WR and worrying about RB in 1-2 more years...WR/WR was my plan, though I was willing to go WR/RB if JJ was there at 1.04. My top three were Butler, Brown and Harry, and as the first round started i had three specific thoughts:

1) please someone else take Metcalf so i don't have to.
2) if Butler and Harry go 1 and 2, then i'm taking Brown at 1.04 and couldn't be happier about that. i thought the odds of this were pretty good
3) if someone takes Metcalf, then its basically xmas for me. i'm getting one of my three top WRs and JJ worst case, if Metcalf and JJ go then i'm getting two of my top WRs. the only way this can go less than awesome is if JJ goes and metcalf doesn't.

The Draft

so yeah, JJ went at 1.03 and Metcalf didn't.

1.04: Harry. My 3rd choice of my top three, but no real hesitation. I would have preferred someone else to drop but this is gift horse in the mouth territory. There was no real thought of trading this pick.

1.05: On paper, this is a reasonable place to draft Metcalf. Many people would have taken him several picks earlier. I didn't feel right going WR/WR with metcalf and i didn't feel right about going WR/RB with Montgomery (my 2nd RB) or someone like sanders that early. i was willing to move back if someone wanted metcalf badly and i did receive some interesting offers, but i ended sending 1.05 + 2.04 for Guice. The Guice owner was pretty loaded at RB and, it turns out, was that person looking for Metcalf. I liked the value there quite a bit and would rather have Guice than JJ + 2.04, Metcalf + 2.04 or any other combination i could think of.

I'm out of things until the 3rd round so we will see how things shake out.
I love that move for you. IMO you get the best WR in the class (Harry) and then traded 1.05 and 2nd for what would have been the top RB if he was in this class. Sure you end up with 2 players instead of 3 but the quality is through the roof IMO.

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:13 pm

5 of the top 10 picks have been RBs. I thought this draft would've been more WR-oriented through the early/mid 1st. Very interesting to see what happens when live bullets are flying.

Great draft to watch!

I don't watch college, and I don't really get too familiar with the rookies until after the NFL draft, so following along here is gold to me. Thanks for doing this!

MARKinMI
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby MARKinMI » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:17 pm

To be honest, I'm sitting at 13 and I'm shocked there were so many RBs taken already. I really figured I'd be wading through the RB minefield at 13. I'm pleasantly surprised that even though i like a few of those RBs I don't have to play that game of Russian Roulette. Many of those guys are going to be very situation dependent IMO.

Goirish374
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Goirish374 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:21 pm

MARKinMI wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:11 pmtraded 1.05 and 2nd for what would have been the top RB if he was in this class. Sure you end up with 2 players instead of 3 but the quality is through the roof IMO.
i could not agree more.
Dynasty League Football Premium League Almanac:
2020 Champ: me again! (no, for reals!)
2019 Champ: me!
2018 Champ: Qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
2017 Champ: Irishdoom
2016 Champ: DDT(wakelawyer)
2015 Champ: BigChiefBC

Madadamus
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Madadamus » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:29 pm

At 1.08 I took Miles Sanders. Thrilled he fell since his ADP was trending up and sat at 6 this month. He is the 5th player on my board and hopefully he can fill the loss of Guice and be a decent FLEX starter for me.
12 Team PPR Dynasty - DLFS
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 2 RB/WR/TE, 1 QB/RB/WR/TE, 1 TE
QB: J. Burrow, M. Stafford, C. Wentz
RB: S. Barkley, D. Swift, J.K. Dobbins, C. Edwards-Helaire, R. Penny, G. Edwards, K. Drake
WR: T. Higgins, M. Evans, B. Aiyuk, C. Watson, K. Toney, M. Thomas, C. Ridley, C. Davis, J. Reagor
TE: D. Waller, E. Engram, H. Hurst, D. Njoku, G. Dulich, J. Akins
2023 Picks: 1st, 2nd, 2nd (mid), 3rd, 4th, 4th (mid)

12 Team PPR Dynasty
1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 2 RB/WR/TE, 1 QB/RB/WR/TE, 1 TE
QB: J. Herbert, M. Stafford, J. Winston, D. Lock, M. Mariota, J. Stidham, R. Fitzpatrick
RB: C. McCaffrey, A. Kamara, E. Elliott, J. Dobbin, J. Mixon, A. Mattison, J. White, L. Bell
WR: D. Moore, J. Jeudy, O. Beckham Jr., C. Claypool, C. Davis. D. Parker, L. Fitzgerald, B. Perriman, W. Snead
TE: E. Engram, C. Kmet, C. Herndon, K. Warring
2021 Picks: 1.10, 2.10, 3.10, 4.10

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:15 pm

C'mon Madison Mustangs. Hopefully he uses an app to run his league business....that's better than a 14 day gap of activity. LOL.

If I was in that draft, I would be blowing up the chatroom with "ZzzzzZZZzzzzzz" comments & trying to track him down. I'll admit that I lack patience sometimes. :lol: :lol: :lol:

MARKinMI
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby MARKinMI » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:18 pm

jordanzs wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:15 pm C'mon Madison Mustangs. Hopefully he uses an app to run his league business....that's better than a 14 day gap of activity. LOL.

If I was in that draft, I would be blowing up the chatroom with "ZzzzzZZZzzzzzz" comments & trying to track him down. I'll admit that I lack patience sometimes. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yeah, I'm not pleased.
Last edited by MARKinMI on Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:45 pm

Hahahaha I’m just a casual observer. I’m guessing that the leaguemates aren’t too stoked on the grinding halt though?

The draft should be something that you look forward to all offseason long & you're chomping at the bit to dive in, not something to avoid.

I've come down hard on lackadaisical drafters who leave everyone hanging. If someone has job/life timing that prevents them from getting to a phone, and they inform everyone, that is totally cool & respectable. I'm in Hawaii & I don't wake up till 1pm Eastern time, but everyone knows when I'll be making my pick if I didn't predraft. So everyone checks back then and we roll.

Hopefully you get it sorted out.

KingsKing
Captain
Captain

Postby KingsKing » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:08 pm

MARKinMI wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:11 pm
Goirish374 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:04 pm London Fog, here.

History
I joined two years ago, much like clarion, after years of being a fanboy. i was in the middle of dumping all my MFL leagues but, for GEDL, there was not even a moment's hesitation about accepting Mark's invitation.

I found myself in the middle of a rebuild which I had to undertake with no 1st round picks. so, that was fun.

in any event i undertook what i call the Water Buffalo strategy (named after that poster's rebuild technique). I could be 5-7 years away from relevance, so i chose to first anchor my team on the longest shelf-life assets (QB, then WR) and add the shortest 3-4 years later (RB) while caring least about the most replaceable (TE). I locked up QB first thing and invested what capital i had in WR, paying little to no attention to RB or TE, by design.

Plan
I entered this draft with 1.04 and 1.05, intent on further solidifying WR and worrying about RB in 1-2 more years...WR/WR was my plan, though I was willing to go WR/RB if JJ was there at 1.04. My top three were Butler, Brown and Harry, and as the first round started i had three specific thoughts:

1) please someone else take Metcalf so i don't have to.
2) if Butler and Harry go 1 and 2, then i'm taking Brown at 1.04 and couldn't be happier about that. i thought the odds of this were pretty good
3) if someone takes Metcalf, then its basically xmas for me. i'm getting one of my three top WRs and JJ worst case, if Metcalf and JJ go then i'm getting two of my top WRs. the only way this can go less than awesome is if JJ goes and metcalf doesn't.

The Draft

so yeah, JJ went at 1.03 and Metcalf didn't.

1.04: Harry. My 3rd choice of my top three, but no real hesitation. I would have preferred someone else to drop but this is gift horse in the mouth territory. There was no real thought of trading this pick.

1.05: On paper, this is a reasonable place to draft Metcalf. Many people would have taken him several picks earlier. I didn't feel right going WR/WR with metcalf and i didn't feel right about going WR/RB with Montgomery (my 2nd RB) or someone like sanders that early. i was willing to move back if someone wanted metcalf badly and i did receive some interesting offers, but i ended sending 1.05 + 2.04 for Guice. The Guice owner was pretty loaded at RB and, it turns out, was that person looking for Metcalf. I liked the value there quite a bit and would rather have Guice than JJ + 2.04, Metcalf + 2.04 or any other combination i could think of.

I'm out of things until the 3rd round so we will see how things shake out.
I love that move for you. IMO you get the best WR in the class (Harry) and then traded 1.05 and 2nd for what would have been the top RB if he was in this class. Sure you end up with 2 players instead of 3 but the quality is through the roof IMO.
Agreed, great trade for you

Mephistopheles
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Mephistopheles » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:22 pm

Wow, the first 10 have gone nothing like I would have expected...2 of my top 10 are still on the board.
PSA - Haggling is NOT the same as negotiating.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:36 pm

jordanzs wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:45 pm I've come down hard on lackadaisical drafters who leave everyone hanging. If someone has job/life timing that prevents them from getting to a phone, and they inform everyone, that is totally cool & respectable. I'm in Hawaii & I don't wake up till 1pm Eastern time, but everyone knows when I'll be making my pick if I didn't predraft. So everyone checks back then and we roll.
Just in general I quite agree. I hate waiting, its a flaw that dynasty has helped me work on since we are always waiting for something - be it the NFL Draft, to be OTC, for a trade response, for a scoring result .... regardless I find it a lot easier to be patient if I know that there is a reason behind the delay. It is easier to wait 8h on a 12h clock for an owner I know has to work where access is impossible, than it is to wait 4h for an owner that never makes an effort to communicate. Communication is vital to anything, and a draft is no different. Kudos to you and every other owners that makes that effort to let their fellow owners know if/why there is a delay. :)
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:42 pm

Yup couldn't agree more. We have an owner in our league who scales the sides of large buildings in Los Angeles for a living. We've seen pics of him in action. We know for a fact that if he's on the clock, nothing will happen until he gets off work at 6pm. No harm no foul. He's just as excited to draft as we all are.

But besides that, part of the draft experience is anticipation & momentum. If you don't enjoy it, you shouldn't be playing dynasty. That would be like trying to be a surfer but hating getting wet in the ocean. When owners don't treat it with the same passion & anticipation that we do, then it's hard to not want to encourage them to vacate their seat in the league so someone else can fill it.

MARKinMI
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby MARKinMI » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:59 pm

this is a brutal format for me. it doesn't matter what part of the 1st round I draft or how many smart moves i make during the draft... My 1st round picks always bust lol

1.02 Cordarrelle Patterson
1.06 Johnathan Franklin

1.14 Cody Latimer

1.06 Dorial Green Beckham... Not only did i draft him but i was sitting at 1.05 and traded down a pick because Melvin Gordon was on the board and I thought he was a bust lol...
1.11 TJ Yeldon

1.06 Leonte Carroo I was sure he was going to the Pats.... then Miami traded ahead of the Pats to take Carroo and the rest is written in bust history

No first rounder but I did manage to grab....
2.02 D'Onta Foreman
2.05 Samaje Perine

No picks....

The moral of the story is this.
If you don't want me putting the curse on your favorite rookie by drafting him at 1.13 then feel free to send cash. :D :D

Sooner or later I've gotta get one right.... right?

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:35 pm

I need to get in a league like this. Ugh.