Landings spots. Team and Player specific.

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Landings spots. Team and Player specific.

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:37 am

Think it might be interesting to discuss specific landings spots for specific players.

Have seen a few mocks put AJ Brown to Green Bay. Think that would of course be a very good landing spot for him. The pack spent a lot of draft capital last year on big-framed WRs, but none of them appear to be chain-movers. And with Randall Cobb gone, they need someone to do the dirty work inside the numbers, within 15 yards of the LOS. Enter AJ Brown. Possession receiver who can operate from the slot and go across the middle. Good hands, good feet, good routes, excellent toughness.

Would they move up in the 2nd round to snag this guy?

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Re: Landings spots. Team and Player specific.

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:39 am

I think AJ and Hollywood Brown are the two WRs for whom situation matters the least. They create enough separation that they’ll be fine in most spots, although low passing volume offenses like Baltimore and Buffalo are less than ideal.

Harry, Butler, and JJAW I think will be much more productive with QBs willing to throw 50/50 balls- so SF, GB, IND, BUF, than in spots like BAL, DAL, and TEN where those QBs really want to see their guy get open before pulling the trigger.

Metcalf is interesting. I think the only bad spot for him is a QB who can’t hit him when he’s open deep.

Isabella I care about how much I trust the OC to use him more than anything.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:41 am

Cult of Dionysus wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:37 am Think it might be interesting to discuss specific landings spots for specific players.

Have seen a few mocks put AJ Brown to Green Bay. Think that would of course be a very good landing spot for him. The pack spent a lot of draft capital last year on big-framed WRs, but none of them appear to be chain-movers. And with Randall Cobb gone, they need someone to do the dirty work inside the numbers, within 15 yards of the LOS. Enter AJ Brown. Possession receiver who can operate from the slot and go across the middle. Good hands, good feet, good routes, excellent toughness.

Would they move up in the 2nd round to snag this guy?
I would LOVE if the Packers drafted AJ Brown. Rodgers would give him a high floor and high ceiling IMO.

I don't think they'll move up more than a couple slots though as they have a TON of needs, a new coach and possibly big changes in both the offense and defense, so they'll want a lot of their own hand picked players.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:16 pm

In all fairness, the GB and IND landing spots are both All-Pro caliber QBs with a need at WR2. There’s no specific trait that makes those spots attractive.

Huh
Starter
Starter

Postby Huh » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:41 pm

Are the packers really going to draft a wr after using half their picks last year on wrs. Seems like a millen kind of strategy. Seems like they should give it another year with the in house guys

DynoScout
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby DynoScout » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:07 pm

I could see GB taking AJ Brown, but I don't think they would trade up to ensure it happens.
He's a good match for what the new offense needs out of the slot, and IMO none of the WR picks from last year are a great fit for the slot role in the new scheme. Among the slot options on the roster right now, Allison might be the best fit. I also expect Adams to get some slot snaps though his regular role will be outside.

DynoScout
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby DynoScout » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:12 pm

Any chance Baltimore invests in IOL in R1, and then drafts JJAW at 85 overall? His jump ball prowess and physical presence blocking on the perimeter seem well suited with the QB and the offensive scheme.
While some teams will probably see JJAW as too limited to be a regular starter, I feel like Baltimore might value his contributions highly enough to take him Day 2.

Does he last til 85, does the fit make sense for Balitmore?

Huh
Starter
Starter

Postby Huh » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:39 pm

DynoScout wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:07 pm I could see GB taking AJ Brown, but I don't think they would trade up to ensure it happens.
He's a good match for what the new offense needs out of the slot, and IMO none of the WR picks from last year are a great fit for the slot role in the new scheme. Among the slot options on the roster right now, Allison might be the best fit. I also expect Adams to get some slot snaps though his regular role will be outside.
Just read that Davante is exited to play out of the slot this year. That might be their slot solution.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:18 pm

Any WR going to Green Bay early to play with Rodgers would be ridiculous, to be quite frank.

That said, here are some unprofessional opinions based on mild tape review (for most players).. aka, my opinions..

Rather than a SPECIFIC team, I will point out what type of team I feel would be best for the following players to excel in (I'm choosing the players I've actually watched a decent amount tape on):

DK Metcalf; He is going to need a quarterback who is willing to make risky throws and take shots down field. Guys like Andrew Luck, Aaron Rodgers, Mahomes, Josh Allen, heck even Winston (although I doubt they draft Metcalf but I said it because because of his willingness to just make crazy throws). I think everyone can acknowledge that it will take some time for Metcalf to develop into a true NFL receiver; however his athleticism is undeniable and if he goes somewhere with a quarterback that has an arm and willing to chuck it down the field - it could provide some great early return on value.

Josh Jacobs; The popular mantra for running backs is to obviously go somewhere that he would be the bell-cow back. However, I don't think Jacobs NEEDS that to be a very strong fantasy RB due to his receiving ability out of the backfield. Even if he goes to a team with a pretty established running back but need a receiving back / solid change of pace / RB1B (think Philly Eagles, I think pairing him up with Jordan Howard wouldn't hurt Jacobs as much as people think). That said, if he lands somewhere that has a running back who is the truly established receiving back; I think this kills his value.

AJ Brown; Honestly, it doesn't matter. He will be good anywhere he goes. Very safe floor, ceiling on the other hand could depend heavily on wherever he goes but I think he is the "most bust proof" receiver in the class.

Marquise Brown; I have him as my WR1 and I have for a while (even before Cameron posted that thread about him, hence my "damn you" reference to him). I think Brown has enough talent to be productive in any situation and has the kind of ability where any play can turn into a touchdown. That said, if he lands somewhere where he will not see a large amount of targets he might be better off as a best ball type of target. If he lands in a good offense, or I think even more importantly - an offensive coordinator who knows how to utilize a player like Marquise, watch out. If he ends up with a quarterback that is absolutely atrocious at down the field throws, that could hurt him too.

N'Keal Harry; Yes I have my thread saying that he is going to be a bust and I truly think that he will be. However, IF Harry is going to be successful, he needs to land with a fearless quarterback, who has precision accuracy and is not afraid to throw into tight windows or those "let your WR make a play" throws. That is a quarterback breed that I think is dying off in the NFL, but there are still a few of them out there so it is possible.

And my favourite sleeper that nobody is talking about who I think has serious upside..
I was avoiding talking about him because I was hoping to nab him @ 1.10 in one league but since I no longer have that pick, it won't happen so I'm not afraid to say it.

Deebo Samuel: I will be honest, I have no idea how Deebo is flying so under the radar but this kid has the potential to be something really special. He fights for every inch, he's got good size, he's dynamic, he can block, he runs routes, he will make you miss in the open field and his work ethic is impeccable. Think a more athletic Anquan Boldin. IF he lands with a team where he seems to be the one in line for the slot work, watch out and do not sleep on him. I'm very excited to see what Deebo does in the NFL and if the Raiders draft him at #35, I would honestly be ecstatic with it. (more real life than fantasy with that last comment) - I also would not be remotely shocked if he was drafted at the end of day 1.

...well, that is my opinion on landing spots for these guys.

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:49 pm

Phaded wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:18 pmDeebo Samuel[/url]: I will be honest, I have no idea how Deebo is flying so under the radar but this kid has the potential to be something really special.
No idea? You don't think it has anything to do with him being a 23 year old senior who wasn't particularly dominant in college?

whodunnit
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby whodunnit » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:52 pm

I'll be interested to see where Stanley Morgan JR goes. He could be a solid WR for the obvious teams like GB and NE, NO could even be a good spot, and I think he would easily be there 2nd best WR. Solid slot WR that could be picked up on day 3.
Watson Goff Purdy
Pierce Swift Robinson Conner Patterson
Hill Lamb Pittman Williams Renfrow Samuel
Hockenson Knox Kmet Schultz

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:23 pm

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:49 pm
Phaded wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:18 pmDeebo Samuel[/url]: I will be honest, I have no idea how Deebo is flying so under the radar but this kid has the potential to be something really special.
No idea? You don't think it has anything to do with him being a 23 year old senior who wasn't particularly dominant in college?
Those were the same "holes" that people poked in Cooper Kupp who didn't step on an NFL field until he was 24.

If Deebo was the type who got open with sheer physicality (like Kevin White) I would be concerned but I am not.

Deebo gets open with technique and can make an impact immediately. He was in a terrible situation so the stats do not match the talent but there is a reason he is getting some first round buzz now; because people have had time to dig into tape and analyze.

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:08 pm

Phaded wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:23 pm
OhCruelestRanter wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:49 pm
Those were the same "holes" that people poked in Cooper Kupp who didn't step on an NFL field until he was 24.

If Deebo was the type who got open with sheer physicality (like Kevin White) I would be concerned but I am not.

Deebo gets open with technique and can make an impact immediately. He was in a terrible situation so the stats do not match the talent but there is a reason he is getting some first round buzz now; because people have had time to dig into tape and analyze.
Didnt he also have a lot of serious injuries that kept him sidelined?

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:17 pm

Bot101 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:08 pmDidnt he also have a lot of serious injuries that kept him sidelined?
He definitely has some injury red flags and that is one of the things that scouts have admitted that is keeping him a lot lower on many boards; he had a broken fibula and suffered a sprained foot while rehabbing that. That said - I'm no expert but I am not sure those injuries have a high risk of re-injury.

He also received rave reviews from the Senior Bowl and has been meeting with many, many teams.
I think his versatility will get him drafted fairly high, higher than many around here think and I think he will then be on the radar of more people.

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:32 pm

Yeah I recall reading/hearing the rave reviews of him being by far the best player during senior bowl practices.