General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
joeya2001
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: Let's talk... Hakeem Butler

Postby joeya2001 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:11 am

Johnny B. Goode wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:58 am
Sriracha wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:27 pm
lukkynumber13 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:02 pm Reynolds was his WR1 in that class... yikers

To be clear, I respect Waldman a lot - but that is a tough list of WRs to be crazy high on in just the last 3 years.
This is just kind of what happens when you're 100% film and 0% analytics.
I’m always surprised at the guys who bet against analytics. You’re much more wrong than you are right in those cases. Film matters, sure, but Waldman is 100% film and that isn’t right. Just as the guys who are 100% analytics. I’m heavy into analytics but in doing so I have picked up on what to look for when determining going against the analytic trend, and it’s been fairly reliable.

It’s just not as fun for people to look at numbers. Film guys kind of humor me at times. There are two types: guys who actually watch film and know what they’re doing (rarity), and guys who think looking up YouTube videos is akin to watching film and like to pretend to be some big time nfl scout but in reality have no idea what they’re actually looking for

Again, watching a player play is very important, but let’s be honest about what’s actually going on, and have an honest discussion about it.

Butler had two stone slabs for hands. I am not surprised he didn’t perform well when given the chance. Day 3 WRs have an extremely low hit rate. I’m not expecting him to turn it around
You mean highlight tales don’t equal NFL success?
1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR 1TE, Super Flex, 2 Flex Spots. 10 Team Dynasty PPR

2016 Champs 2019 Runner up 2020 Champs

QB- Lamar Jackson, Jordan Love
RB- Alvin Kamara, AJ Dillion
WR- Christian Kirk, Michael Pittman, Aiyuk, Alec Pierce, DJ Chare, Terrace Marshall, Metchie,
TE- George Kittle, Darren Waller, Greg Dortch.

Team 2 10 Team 1 QB 2 RB 3 WR 1 TE 2 Flex 2 SF

2020 3rd place Year 1
(This is a rebuild team selling vets)
QB Joe Burrow, Kenny Pickett, Geno,
RB AJ Dillon, Josh Jacobs, Tony Pollard,
WR Tee Higgins, Sutton, HollywoodTerry McLaurin, DJM, Ju-Ju, Hodgins,
TE Hock, Andrews, Kyle Pitts, Otton, Ertz
Picks
2023 4 1st 5 2nd
2024 3rd
“Not good enough to count on as a starter, but too good to drop, so they clog my bench.” dlf_mikeh

Johnny B. Goode
Starter
Starter

Postby Johnny B. Goode » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:16 am

joeya2001 wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:11 am
Sriracha wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:27 pm

This is just kind of what happens when you're 100% film and 0% analytics.
I’m always surprised at the guys who bet against analytics. You’re much more wrong than you are right in those cases. Film matters, sure, but Waldman is 100% film and that isn’t right. Just as the guys who are 100% analytics. I’m heavy into analytics but in doing so I have picked up on what to look for when determining going against the analytic trend, and it’s been fairly reliable.

It’s just not as fun for people to look at numbers. Film guys kind of humor me at times. There are two types: guys who actually watch film and know what they’re doing (rarity), and guys who think looking up YouTube videos is akin to watching film and like to pretend to be some big time nfl scout but in reality have no idea what they’re actually looking for

Again, watching a player play is very important, but let’s be honest about what’s actually going on, and have an honest discussion about it.

Butler had two stone slabs for hands. I am not surprised he didn’t perform well when given the chance. Day 3 WRs have an extremely low hit rate. I’m not expecting him to turn it around
Not to turn this discussion into a debate on that- that’s exactly what I’m talking about. Watching some highlights to “here comes the boom” doesn’t really give you an idea
of what a guy really is like.
I have mad respect for the guys who literally watch game tape. I believe there is a website that gives you all of the plays a particular player played in

bbsmitz
Rookie
Rookie

Postby bbsmitz » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:28 am

Johnny B. Goode wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:58 am I’m always surprised at the guys who bet against analytics. You’re much more wrong than you are right in those cases. Film matters, sure, but Waldman is 100% film and that isn’t right. Just as the guys who are 100% analytics. I’m heavy into analytics but in doing so I have picked up on what to look for when determining going against the analytic trend, and it’s been fairly reliable.

Would you mind breaking this down a little more (I'm coming from a novice perspective). Particularly two questions,

1) What analytics were speaking against Butler? Breakout age? Only 1 year of production? (Both?)
2) What do you find to be the giveaways when the film indicates the player might be successful, despite a weak analytic profile.

Thanks for reading!
12 owner, ppr league. 24 man rosters. Start 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1 WR/TE/RB.

QB: Goff, Watson
RB: Jacobs, Chubb, Guice, Royce Freeman, Duke Johnson, Tarik Cohen, Ballage, Hines, Edmonds
WR: DeAndre Hopkins, Davante Adams, Tyler Lockett, DJ Moore, Mike Williams, Justin Jefferson (Taxi), Mims (Taxi), Marquise Brown, Marquise Lee, Funchess, Hurd, Preston Williams
TE: Cook, Kittle, Gerald Everett

2020: 2.09, 4.09
2021: All picks.

Servo
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Servo » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:25 pm

bbsmitz wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:28 am 1) What analytics were speaking against Butler? Breakout age? Only 1 year of production? (Both?)
- Redshirt at Iowa State (not Bama or OSU...not a particularly strong football school)
- Didn't command targets until his 3rd year at that same school
- Older prospect / late breakout

But let's be honest, Butler's fall in the draft saved fantasy owners, because a guy that was being talked about as a 1st rounder fell deep into the 2nd or even 3rd (contingent on league type of course). Taking a flier on Butler there won't kill your team nearly as much as Treadwell, Doctson and maybe, just maybe Harry.

This year, I had no issues taking a flier on Aiyuk in the late 2nd (2QB) over Shenault/Edwards. But even though people will point towards Aiyuk's "late breakout"...he was good in Junior College and was good at ASU...let alone he's dynamic with the ball in his hands...something that guys like Treadwell, Doctson, DGB, Butler just aren't.

ThunderTung
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ThunderTung » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:03 pm

Johnny B. Goode wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:16 am

Not to turn this discussion into a debate on that- that’s exactly what I’m talking about. Watching some highlights to “here comes the boom” doesn’t really give you an idea
I have mad respect for the guys who literally watch game tape. I believe there is a website that gives you all of the plays a particular player played in
Happen to have a link to this website?
12 man IDP 0.5 ppr

QB(1): Geno Smith
RB(2): ETN/Walker III
WR(2): Chase/Lamb
TE(1): Goedert
FLEX(2): Stevenson/Garrett Wilson
K: Mcpherson
DL(2): T. Walker/Vea
LB(2): D. Long/TJ Edwards
DB(2) Dugger/Moehrig
FLEX: Kenneth Murray
IR: J. Hicks/Milano/Marcus Jones
Bench:
QB: Mac Jones/Bryce Young
RB: Zeke/D. Harris
WR: N. Brown/Demario Douglas/Bobby Trees/Parker/Tyler Scott
TE: Bellinger/Schultz
DL: Barrett/J. Davis/Yannick/
LB: Milano/Edwards/K. Murray/J. Smith
DB: Mathieu/Jonothan Owens

Shankopotamus
Starter
Starter

Postby Shankopotamus » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:52 pm

ThunderTung wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:03 pm

Yeah, I'd pay for that. Would definitely keep me from drafting the N'Keal Harry's and Hakeem Butlers of the world. Had me scared to death to draft Ceedee, so I took Akers.
12 Team Super-Flex TEP Dynasty
22 CHAMP :dance:
(2019 & 2020 Runner-Up) :wall:

1 QB, 3 RB, 4 WR, Flex, SF, 2 TE

3 DL, 3 LB, 3 DB, 1 Flex IDP

QB- Justin Herbert, Baker Mayfield, Deshaun Watson, Marcus Mariota, Gardner Minshew, Sam Ehlinger
RB- D’Andre Swift, Nick Chubb, Javonte Williams, Cam Akers, Kyren Williams, Jerome Ford, D’Ernest Johnson, Darrell Henderson
WR- DK Metcalf, DJ Moore, Chris Godwin, Jameson Williams, Gabe Davis, Hollywood Brown, Josh Reynolds, Calvin Austin, Laviska Shenault, Kyle Phillips
TE-Mark Andrews, Greg Dulcich, Isaiah Likely, Donald Parham, Tyler Conklin
DL-Danielle Hunter, Nick Bosa, Deforest Buckner, Jonathon Allen
LB- Micah Parsons, Jack Sanborn, Logan Wilson, Cole Holcomb, Nakobe Dean, Brian Asamoah
DB-Jeremy Chinn, Jalen Pitre, Jalen Thompson, Kam Curl, Darrick Forrest
K-Tyler Bass

ThunderTung
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ThunderTung » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:39 am

Shankopotamus wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:52 pm
ThunderTung wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:03 pm

Yeah, I'd pay for that. Would definitely keep me from drafting the N'Keal Harry's and Hakeem Butlers of the world. Had me scared to death to draft Ceedee, so I took Akers.
i always compound highlight videos with listening to others do film breakdowns, as well as just my instincts. I was so confident in Lamb, i took him at 2 lmao
12 man IDP 0.5 ppr

QB(1): Geno Smith
RB(2): ETN/Walker III
WR(2): Chase/Lamb
TE(1): Goedert
FLEX(2): Stevenson/Garrett Wilson
K: Mcpherson
DL(2): T. Walker/Vea
LB(2): D. Long/TJ Edwards
DB(2) Dugger/Moehrig
FLEX: Kenneth Murray
IR: J. Hicks/Milano/Marcus Jones
Bench:
QB: Mac Jones/Bryce Young
RB: Zeke/D. Harris
WR: N. Brown/Demario Douglas/Bobby Trees/Parker/Tyler Scott
TE: Bellinger/Schultz
DL: Barrett/J. Davis/Yannick/
LB: Milano/Edwards/K. Murray/J. Smith
DB: Mathieu/Jonothan Owens

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:45 am

Tried to like him when I evaluated him as a rookie. He flat had zero separation ability. Don't see him ever being a NFL quality WR.

Good luck but IMO he is wasting roster space.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:49 am

Signed to Carolina practice squad

Mjvb5
Legend
Legend

Postby Mjvb5 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:31 pm

Jigga94 wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:49 am Signed to Carolina practice squad
At least he's kinda on a team but this is almost worst case scenario. Unless someone eventually claims him off there, if they eventually promote him. It's a deep core in a lower volume offense

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:49 pm

Let's talk... about anyone but Hakeem Butler.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:10 pm

Servo wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:25 pm
bbsmitz wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:28 am 1) What analytics were speaking against Butler? Breakout age? Only 1 year of production? (Both?)
- Redshirt at Iowa State (not Bama or OSU...not a particularly strong football school)

But let's be honest, Butler's fall in the draft saved fantasy owners, because a guy that was being talked about as a 1st rounder fell deep into the 2nd or even 3rd (contingent on league type of course). Taking a flier on Butler there won't kill your team nearly as much as Treadwell, Doctson and maybe, just maybe Harry.

This year, I had no issues taking a flier on Aiyuk in the late 2nd (2QB) over Shenault/Edwards. But even though people will point towards Aiyuk's "late breakout"...he was good in Junior College and was good at ASU...let alone he's dynamic with the ball in his hands...something that guys like Treadwell, Doctson, DGB, Butler just aren't.
Perfect example of when to use analytics to your advantage, and when there are reasons to ignore it.

Van Jefferson is another outlier. Had to compete for targets with AJB an DK at Ole Miss, then transferred to one of the worst passing offenses in NCAAF.

I have no idea if Aiyuk or Jefferson are going to pan out in the NFL; but I'm much more optimistic about them than I was about Kevin White and Hakeem Butler.

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:31 pm

Sriracha wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:10 pm

Perfect example of when to use analytics to your advantage, and when there are reasons to ignore it.

Van Jefferson is another outlier. Had to compete for targets with AJB an DK at Ole Miss, then transferred to one of the worst passing offenses in NCAAF.

I have no idea if Aiyuk or Jefferson are going to pan out in the NFL; but I'm much more optimistic about them than I was about Kevin White and Hakeem Butler.
Yeah- the really tangible benefit of an analytic approach is that you understand when and why you're more likely to miss. Aiyuk was on the same team as Harry and Harry was better. That's not particularly encouraging for a guy who was a later breakout, it's not like he was pushed out by Julio Jones here. I still ended up with a share, but it was after Shenault, Higgins, Pittman, Moss, and Vaughn(!) were gone. At least he'll have opportunity with Deebo out.

Regarding Van Jefferson, the thing about Ole Miss sort of makes sense, but I also would've liked him to just be better at Florida as a 22 and 23 year old than he was. I don't really gamble on guys like this, but I can at least squint and see it, and you don't have to use real draft capital to get him.

Edwards isn't really an analytic darling, despite the exceptional breakout age and dominator rating. His status as a senior is a red flag, and his third round draft capital matters. I like him, but his profile (even his size) is remarkably similar to two other seniors who didn't live up to their early breakouts and high dominator ratings: Jordan Matthews and Corey Davis.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby sloth8u » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:53 pm

I liked Butler quite a bit comming out. I learned years ago that it's tough for guys to win me leagues without being on an active roster....

I-ROK
Rookie
Rookie

Postby I-ROK » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:52 am

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:31 pm
Sriracha wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:10 pm

Yeah- the really tangible benefit of an analytic approach is that you understand when and why you're more likely to miss. Aiyuk was on the same team as Harry and Harry was better. That's not particularly encouraging for a guy who was a later breakout, it's not like he was pushed out by Julio Jones here. I still ended up with a share, but it was after Shenault, Higgins, Pittman, Moss, and Vaughn(!) were gone. At least he'll have opportunity with Deebo out.

Regarding Van Jefferson, the thing about Ole Miss sort of makes sense, but I also would've liked him to just be better at Florida as a 22 and 23 year old than he was. I don't really gamble on guys like this, but I can at least squint and see it, and you don't have to use real draft capital to get him.

Edwards isn't really an analytic darling, despite the exceptional breakout age and dominator rating. His status as a senior is a red flag, and his third round draft capital matters. I like him, but his profile (even his size) is remarkably similar to two other seniors who didn't live up to their early breakouts and high dominator ratings: Jordan Matthews and Corey Davis.
This!