Let's talk... Hakeem Butler

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: Let's talk... Hakeem Butler

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:47 pm

I gave up.

Cut by the team that drafted him after one lost season and a "chance for redemption" training camp. Arizona obviously wasn't seeing it, didn't sign him to their practice squad, and nobody else has added him either to this point. That pretty much tells me all I need to know, which is even if he does get another shot, he's like just another depth body. Nothing special.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

I-ROK
Rookie
Rookie

Postby I-ROK » Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:42 pm

Pac_Eddy wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:13 pm
Pullo Vision wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:58 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:19 pm
After their final college season.
I don't pay attention to him enough to know, but it'd be interesting if that ranking was right after the college season in January, right before the NFL draft, or some point in between during those months of film study.
Butler was Waldmans #1 after the college season and before the NFL draft. Even Waldman took notice when Butler fell to the 4th round in the NFL draft.
To add, Butler was Waldman’s “highest rated WR EVER”

Mims was his wr2. Cephus ahead of Higgins. Those are the only pieces I have at the moment.
Last edited by I-ROK on Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:48 pm

I-ROK wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:42 pm
I don't pay attention to him enough to know, but it'd be interesting if that ranking was right after the college season in January, right before the NFL draft, or some point in between during those months of film study.
Butler was Waldmans #1 after the college season and before the NFL draft. Even Waldman took notice when Butler fell to the 4th round in the NFL draft.

Mims was his wr2
This year. The fact Waldman missed on Butler, isn't an indictment of Mims, though. Waldman has also been right on a lot of players.
Last edited by FantasyFreak on Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

I-ROK
Rookie
Rookie

Postby I-ROK » Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:54 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:48 pm

Mims was his wr2
This year. The fact Waldman missed on Mims, isn't an indictment of Mims, though. Waldman has also been right on a lot of players.
He hasn’t missed on Mims... yet. Sure he hits as much as anyone else does. I trust my own process better so I don’t pay the absurd price for the rsp.
If you listen to Waldman you own a lot of Josh Reynolds, Dante Pettis, and Hakeem Butler. That’s about all you need to know

Lamb was his #1 this year

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:16 am

I-ROK wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:54 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:48 pm

Mims was his wr2
This year. The fact Waldman missed on Mims, isn't an indictment of Mims, though. Waldman has also been right on a lot of players.
He hasn’t missed on Mims... yet. Sure he hits as much as anyone else does. I trust my own process better so I don’t pay the absurd price for the rsp.
If you listen to Waldman you own a lot of Josh Reynolds, Dante Pettis, and Hakeem Butler. That’s about all you need to know

Lamb was his #1 this year
I meant Butler, my bad :doh: I also don't run in absolutes. I listen to Waldman, but I didn't like any of those guys. I do like Mims, though. His metrics profile is very strong, plus other guys like Brett Kollmann who I really like, are big on him. I liked Mims, the metrics liked him, and a few film guys I like (not Waldman) also did. I do like Waldman, but not for his rankings.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:02 pm

Mims was his wr2. Cephus ahead of Higgins. Those are the only pieces I have at the moment.
Reynolds was his WR1 in that class... yikers

To be clear, I respect Waldman a lot - but that is a tough list of WRs to be crazy high on in just the last 3 years.
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:27 pm

lukkynumber13 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:02 pm

To be clear, I respect Waldman a lot - but that is a tough list of WRs to be crazy high on in just the last 3 years.
This is just kind of what happens when you're 100% film and 0% analytics.

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:16 pm

IZigUZag wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:27 pm

I think you can do mostly film, and I say that as a guy that leaned almost entirely on analytics prior to this season, but you need to take into account the level of competition. From the limited videos of his that I’ve watched he doesnt seem to consider that juking a mediocre college player out of his shoes isn’t necessarily going to translate to the NFL.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

jman3134
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jman3134 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:30 pm

He liked Mims a lot. I think this Butler talk says more about how difficult it is to miss your year 1 and bounce back, esp in a non-ideal situation with poor draft capital. There are guys who get their tires kicked around infinitely and Butler hasn't had any chance at all at this point. Sure, it appears he is a bust as of now and might flame out of the NFL. But, with the right coaching and an opportunity, who knows?

Even someone like an Isaiah Ford eventually became a starter on Miami. Get on a practice squad, keep working, and Butler could turn this around.

Lumping Dante Pettis in isn't fair either because the coaching staff doesn't like his mentality and he is not dogged enough to succeed in the league. Doesn't put in the work.
12 team, 35 man rosters, 1/2 PPR, 10 round rookie/FA draft
Qb: Geno Smith, Matthew Stafford, Trey Lance
Rb: Jonathan Taylor, Joe Mixon, Austin Ekeler, Saquon Barkley, Cam Akers, Isiah Pacheco, Jeff Wilson, Chase Edmonds, Pierre Strong, Jordan Mason, Jaleel McLaughlin
Wr: DeAndre Hopkins, Mike Evans, Diontae Johnson, Darnell Mooney, Marquez Valdes-Scantling, Jakobi Meyers, Laviska Shenault, Donovan Peoples-Jones, Denzel Mims, Richie James, Michael Wilson, Demario Douglas, Trent Sherfield
Te: George Kittle, Darren Waller, Taysom Hill, Isaiah Likely
K:
D: Dallas D

bbsmitz
Rookie
Rookie

Postby bbsmitz » Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:20 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:35 pm
Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:33 pm 1.01
The latest in a long line of examples that many people who participate in mocks don't really watch or follow college football.
What was it about his college tape that made you so low on him? (Not being sarcastic, just don't watch a ton of college ball so am curious)
12 owner, ppr league. 24 man rosters. Start 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1 WR/TE/RB.

QB: Goff, Watson
RB: Jacobs, Chubb, Guice, Royce Freeman, Duke Johnson, Tarik Cohen, Ballage, Hines, Edmonds
WR: DeAndre Hopkins, Davante Adams, Tyler Lockett, DJ Moore, Mike Williams, Justin Jefferson (Taxi), Mims (Taxi), Marquise Brown, Marquise Lee, Funchess, Hurd, Preston Williams
TE: Cook, Kittle, Gerald Everett

2020: 2.09, 4.09
2021: All picks.

cazzie33
All Pro
All Pro

Postby cazzie33 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:10 am

DGB 2.0
Great metrics ... Just not not good @ fundamental skills required for being an NFL Wr. Like catching the ball consistently or running precise routes. Guessing didn't show the desire to even want to get better @ the level it takes. If you can't do it in practice with no enemy fire to speak of how can they trust you in game situations...hopefully it's a wakeup call for Butler's sake.

Dorial never answered the call 📞

Shcritters
MVP
MVP

Postby Shcritters » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:25 am

As an ISU fan I was always a bit surprised at how high he was ranked. The positive is that Lazard ran in the same offense and had a bad first year only to appear to bounce back. Hoping Butler can do the same over the next couple years.
Gopher Two
PPR SF, WR & TE Premium (WR 1.2 PPR , TE 1.5 PPR), 10 total starters, 1 QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex
QB: Mahomes, Prescott, Mayfield
RB: Hall, Pacheco, Jacobs, Connor, Chubb, Mattison
WR: Tyreek, AJ Brown, Flowers, CSutton, JJeudy, Slayton, Iosivas
TE: McBride, DSchultz, Musgrave, Kraft, MGesicki
2024: 1.02, 2.02
2022 and 2023 League Champ

SafeLeague #1 (12 team, SF, 2.0 PPR TE Prem). 10 total starters 1 QB, 1SF (QB/TE/RB/WR), 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex
QB: Purdy, Levis, DTR
RB: Pacheco + scrubs
WR: Downs, MMims, EMoore, Jeudy, MWilson + scrubs
TE: Hock, Kincaid, Pitts, Mayer + scrubs
2024: 1.01, 1.05, 1.11, 2.01, 2.02, 2.06,
2025: 2 1sts, 2 2nds

SafeLeague #2
QB: Purdy, Richardson, Hooker, Willis
RB: literal ZERO RB (for now)
WR: Mingo, MMims, Toney, Skyy, Iosivas
TE: LaPorta, Kincaid, McBride, Mayer, Musgrave, Schoonmaker (and a bunch more 2nd stringers)
2024: 1.01, 1.05, 1.06, 1.08, 1.09, 1.10, 2.01, 2.05, 2.06
2025: 1 1st, 1 2nd

koalabear
Captain
Captain

Postby koalabear » Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:25 am

Interesting article, I believe he worked out for the Jets but wasn't picked up.

https://www.revengeofthebirds.com/2020/ ... -york-jets

I didn't know the Cardinals felt like they might've had to cut him last season because he looked so bad before he landed on IR.
1. 12 team 1pt PPR. Start 1 QB, 2-3 RB, 3-4 WR, 1-2 TE. Yr 7
QB: Murray, Stafford
RB: Dobbins, Sanders, Pearce
WR: Jefferson, Burks, JuJu
TE: Goedert, Everett
2023: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th

2. 12 team 1pt PPR. Start 1 QB, 2-4 RB, 3-5 WR, 1-3 TE. Yr 6.
QB: Jackson, Allen
RB: Akers, CEH
WR: Chase, M Brown, Pittman, M Williams
TE: Tonyan, Hooper
2023: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th

3. 12 team superflex, PPR (WR/RB/TE 1/1.25/1.5). Start 1-2 QB, 1-7 RB, WR, TE. Yr 5.
QB: Jackson, Prescott, Brady
RB: Singletary, Harris
WR: Jefferson, Adams, Burks, Evans, Lockett
TE: Hockenson
2023: 3rd, 3rd, 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 5th

Johnny B. Goode
Starter
Starter

Postby Johnny B. Goode » Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:51 am

koalabear wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:25 am Interesting article, I believe he worked out for the Jets but wasn't picked up.

https://www.revengeofthebirds.com/2020/ ... -york-jets

I didn't know the Cardinals felt like they might've had to cut him last season because he looked so bad before he landed on IR.
Yes, I recall hearing that near the end of the season. He wasn’t good last summer either

Johnny B. Goode
Starter
Starter

Postby Johnny B. Goode » Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:58 am

Sriracha wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:27 pm

I’m always surprised at the guys who bet against analytics. You’re much more wrong than you are right in those cases. Film matters, sure, but Waldman is 100% film and that isn’t right. Just as the guys who are 100% analytics. I’m heavy into analytics but in doing so I have picked up on what to look for when determining going against the analytic trend, and it’s been fairly reliable.

It’s just not as fun for people to look at numbers. Film guys kind of humor me at times. There are two types: guys who actually watch film and know what they’re doing (rarity), and guys who think looking up YouTube videos is akin to watching film and like to pretend to be some big time nfl scout but in reality have no idea what they’re actually looking for

Again, watching a player play is very important, but let’s be honest about what’s actually going on, and have an honest discussion about it.

Butler had two stone slabs for hands. I am not surprised he didn’t perform well when given the chance. Day 3 WRs have an extremely low hit rate. I’m not expecting him to turn it around