Marquise Brown is the best value in the draft

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Re: Marquise Brown is the best value in the draft

Postby Anteaters » Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:23 pm

dynastyninja wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:36 pm
PR0v3 wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:25 pm Hollywood was a better prospect than Bateman and is NFL proven. The odds of Bateman usurping him are neglibible.
I disagree with the bolded pretty strongly considering they were drafted at almost exactly the same spot in their drafts.
Instead of looking at what pick they were drafted at, it might be better put it in context to look at where they were valued among the position.

In 2019, Marquise was the first WR drafted.
In 2021, Bateman was the 5th WR drafted.

FWIW, in 2019, the fifth WR drafted was Mercole Hardman.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, MWilliams, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:53 pm

Anteaters wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:23 pm
PR0v3 wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:25 pm Hollywood was a better prospect than Bateman and is NFL proven. The odds of Bateman usurping him are neglibible.
I disagree with the bolded pretty strongly considering they were drafted at almost exactly the same spot in their drafts.
Instead of looking at what pick they were drafted at, it might be better put it in context to look at where they were valued among the position.

And the 1st WR drafted in 2020 was Henry Ruggs. The 5th? Justin Jefferson.

Every draft class is different.

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:57 pm

Sriracha wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:53 pm

Well played!

I guess we should trust what empirical proof has shown us.

Right now, Brown is the WR6 of 2021.

Right now, Bateman hasn't played a game.

Is there really a question about who is the much more valuable fantasy asset?
TEAM 1:
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon

TEAM 2:
2023 semifinals loser

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:09 pm

Anteaters wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:57 pm Right now, Brown is the WR6 of 2021.

"What have you done for me lately"

"Sir, SIR this is an ARBY's restuarant, the Dynasty forum is down the ROAD, sir... SIR!"

I remember the pre-season when Ja'marr Chase had the dropsies and Tee Higgins was the "alpha WR to own in Cincy".

Trust your evaluation of the tape. You can make the case both ways. But we here in the Dynasty business are in the business of future prognostication... and some of us think this Bateman fella might turn out to be alright at football. Lamar being a better thrower of the football in his 4th season is a rising tide that could lift all ships. The answer might even just be "you want BOTH Brown and Bateman in this high-powered Baltimore passing offense" (a shocking statement to our pre-season selves) and that too would be fine.

Time will tell, and we'll check back in with you later. Good luck out there! :thumbup:

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:51 pm

Anteaters wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:57 pm
Sriracha wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:53 pm

Well played!

I guess we should trust what empirical proof has shown us.

Right now, Brown is the WR6 of 2021.

My point was that Hollywood the prospect wasn't head and shoulders above Bateman the prospect. That's all

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:07 pm

mild wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:09 pm
Anteaters wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:57 pm Right now, Brown is the WR6 of 2021.

"What have you done for me lately"

"Sir, SIR this is an ARBY's restuarant, the Dynasty forum is down the ROAD, sir... SIR!"

I remember the pre-season when Ja'marr Chase had the dropsies and Tee Higgins was the "alpha WR to own in Cincy".

Trust your evaluation of the tape. You can make the case both ways. But we here in the Dynasty business are in the business of future prognostication... and some of us think this Bateman fella might turn out to be alright at football. Lamar being a better thrower of the football in his 4th season is a rising tide that could lift all ships. The answer might even just be "you want BOTH Brown and Bateman in this high-powered Baltimore passing offense" (a shocking statement to our pre-season selves) and that too would be fine.

Time will tell, and we'll check back in with you later. Good luck out there! :thumbup:
I agree. Since Chase was drafted I thought he would easily be the best WR in Cincy. I never thought his preseason drops indicated he was going to have a bad season - you can track my posts here and see that. I never thought Higgins would be the top dog on the same team with Chase, because my opinion is Chase's abilities are far superior to Higgins. I've repeated said that Higgins would have to battle Boyd to see which would be the second to Chase and I've said it's possible Higgins might lose that fight.

I agree evaluating/predicting players' spots on a team's depth chart combines several things. One of those is past usage, of which a rookie wouldn't have any. But another is eye test and personal opinion. My opinion of Chase has always been that he would be a near WR1 for fantasy or better. I've never had that opinion of Bateman. I put Bateman on the same level as Higgins - a guy who will top out in the WR20-36 range.

Even without Hollywood's ascension, I thought he would remain the better WR in Baltimore and Bateman would be a random flex play for at least the first two years. That the "Some of us think" part of your post. I'm not one of the "some of us" who think Bateman will ever be better than what Hollywood was/did last year. Bateman will return soon and if he proves me wrong, I'll be happy to be flogged for my bad judgement.
TEAM 1:

TEAM 2:
2023 semifinals loser

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:48 pm

Anteaters wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:07 pm Even without Hollywood's ascension, I thought he would remain the better WR in Baltimore and Bateman would be a random flex play for at least the first two years. That the "Some of us think" part of your post. I'm not one of the "some of us" who think Bateman will ever be better than what Hollywood was/did last year. Bateman will return soon and if he proves me wrong, I'll be happy to be flogged for my bad judgement.
No flogging required my good man, we're all just doing our best out here to seperate the signal from the noise. It's going to be a fascinating situation to watch unfold.

Regardless, one thing I do know - both Hollywood and Bateman are both really -really- good WR's. I think anyone that owns either should be excited right now. This Baltimore passing offense looks like it's blossoming right before our eyes.

Mike11
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Mike11 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:44 am

The other thing Baltimore has done well is allow Hollywood to work all over the field, he’s always going to be dangerous deep but he’s so twitched up quick hit throws give him a chance for massive chunk gains which we saw on display Monday night against the Colts.

As a Ravens fan, this week against the Chargers should be zesty, two really good teams and I think it’s probably gonna be a pick em in the spread. I anticipate it’ll be high scoring like the Browns game but probably not that high scoring. Also worth pointing out the Ravens defense hasn’t been as dependable thus far this year. They’ve kept games close but the Ravens have absolutely had some luck go their way (CEH fumble, Tucker 66 yards, Blankenship woes + Lamar going Super Saiyan).
League Established in 2014

2015 League Champion
2017 League Champion
2018 League Champion
2022 League Champion

10 Team 20 Keeper League Non ppr

Starters in Bold

QB Justin Herbert, Lamar Jackson Aaron Rodgers, Russel Wilson
RB Chubb, JT Javonte Williams, De’Von Achane
Flex Ekeler, Etienne
WR AJB, Stefon Diggs, Jaylen Waddle Mike Williams, Treylon Burks, Amari Rodgers, Nico Collins, Diontae Johnson, Mingo, Burks, Tillman, Batemen
TE TJ Hockenson Higbee Hurst

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:31 am

On the Hollywood vs Bateman debate, I think the reason a lot of people prefer Bateman and think he is more valuable is due to the type of game he plays. The possession role seems to fit better with who Lamar is, he likes Andrews a lot and Bateman will just give him another fearless target crossing the field at the short to medium distances. Hollywood's game is by more boom or bust, his value is mostly tied to big plays and that is going to be more volatile. My point is I don't see it as a question of "who's the better player". The question I see is, "who's game gives them the better opportunity to produce fantasy points most consistently."

Personally, I'm not interested in owning either of them, the only Raven I would want to pay up for would be Andrews.

PR0v3
Captain
Captain

Postby PR0v3 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:59 am

thebeast wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:31 am On the Hollywood vs Bateman debate, I think the reason a lot of people prefer Bateman and think he is more valuable is due to the type of game he plays. The possession role seems to fit better with who Lamar is, he likes Andrews a lot and Bateman will just give him another fearless target crossing the field at the short to medium distances. Hollywood's game is by more boom or bust, his value is mostly tied to big plays and that is going to be more volatile. My point is I don't see it as a question of "who's the better player". The question I see is, "who's game gives them the better opportunity to produce fantasy points most consistently."

Personally, I'm not interested in owning either of them, the only Raven I would want to pay up for would be Andrews.
Is this post for real? Lol. It reads like the original Hollywood detractor posts from the summer of 2019.

There’s nothing about Hollywood’s game that is boom or bust or tied to big plays. He’s a complete three level WR that is as consistent as it gets. Yes, he also scores long TDs, but that’s just because he’s really good.
12 Team .5 PPR - 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 WR/RB 20 man rosters, 5 man taxi est. 2018
QB: Dak, Pickett
RB: CMC, Taylor, Gibson, Dillon, Akers, Penny
WR: JJeff, Hollywood, Olave, Toney, Aiyuk, Jeudy, C. Davis, Boyd, C. Samuel,
TE: Njoku, Gesicki
2023 picks: 1.x, 2.x, 3.x, 4.x

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:06 am

PR0v3 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:59 am
thebeast wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:31 am On the Hollywood vs Bateman debate, I think the reason a lot of people prefer Bateman and think he is more valuable is due to the type of game he plays. The possession role seems to fit better with who Lamar is, he likes Andrews a lot and Bateman will just give him another fearless target crossing the field at the short to medium distances. Hollywood's game is by more boom or bust, his value is mostly tied to big plays and that is going to be more volatile. My point is I don't see it as a question of "who's the better player". The question I see is, "who's game gives them the better opportunity to produce fantasy points most consistently."

Is this post for real? Lol. It reads like the original Hollywood detractor posts from the summer of 2019.

There’s nothing about Hollywood’s game that is boom or bust or tied to big plays. He’s a complete three level WR that is as consistent as it gets. Yes, he also scores long TDs, but that’s just because he’s really good.
I just don't see how anyone who watches Hollywood play could consider him boom or bust. His average yards per target should immediatley squash that narrative.

He sure seems to be an all around WR to me when I watch him play. :whistle:
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

Mike11
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Mike11 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:38 am

Hollywood is averaging 90 yards and a touchdown every game on 7.6 targets per game, his 16 game pace is 1440 receiving yards and 16 touchdowns. His targets aren't even that high and his lowest .5PPR game this year is 6.9 with 3 possible dropped touchdowns and every other game is double digits.

Just because he's fast and gets open deep doesn't make him boom or bust, that's an incorrect analysis based on the film and based on the stats. The second half of last year he had an extremely safe floor as well.
League Established in 2014

2015 League Champion
2017 League Champion
2018 League Champion
2022 League Champion

10 Team 20 Keeper League Non ppr

Starters in Bold

QB Justin Herbert, Lamar Jackson Aaron Rodgers, Russel Wilson
RB Chubb, JT Javonte Williams, De’Von Achane
Flex Ekeler, Etienne
WR AJB, Stefon Diggs, Jaylen Waddle Mike Williams, Treylon Burks, Amari Rodgers, Nico Collins, Diontae Johnson, Mingo, Burks, Tillman, Batemen
TE TJ Hockenson Higbee Hurst

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:41 am

Sure, if you assume that all Brown can do is run deep, but he's actually one of the better separators in the league.

As far as producing fantasy points most consistently, Brown this season:

Week 1: WR17
Week 2: WR7
Week 3: WR58
Week 4: WR13
Week 5: WR3

So, outside of one bad game where he dropped multiple passes that could've been touchdowns, Brown has been pretty consistent in his breakout year.

Currently on pace for 95/1533/17

Obviously there will be some TD regression, but I still can't believe there are people who think he's just going to go away and that he's a volatile WR. He's no more "inconsistent" than any other WR.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:33 pm

No one would say Davante Adams is boom/bust but here's his weekly performances

WR 53
WR 15
WR 2
WR 35
WR 1

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:40 pm

Jigga94 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:33 pm No one would say Davante Adams is boom/bust but here's his weekly performances

WR 53
WR 15
WR 2
WR 35
WR 1
Five weeks sample size mean nothing when you look at Adams WR1 production over multiple years