What is your ideal league construction?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
nicktahoes
Role Player
Role Player

What is your ideal league construction?

Postby nicktahoes » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:31 am

I am going to be starting a new superflex league. So I was wondering what you guys think are the best league settings from the following questions. Looking to try and make "the perfect league". I was debating a larger starting roster maybe 12 players and a shallower bench of maybe also 12 players just to be a little different and I think that will allow for better waivers and more trades. I am NOT going to have IDP, Devy, K or Def.

Standard, half, full PPR?

How many flex spots?

Total number of starters/bench/taxi?

Startup draft: Snake or Auction

Include rookie picks in startup or wait until after NFL draft and include the rookies themselves?

What is your favorite rule or setting that is different than most leagues?

Thanks.
Team 1:
PPR--QB, RBx2, WRx3, TE, Superflex, Flex x2
QBs: Lawrence, Stafford, Geno, Hooker, Rush
RBs: Ekeler, Kamara, Achane, Elijah Mitchell, Dillon, Kelley, Moss, Jamaal Williams
WRs: Adams, Hopkins, Waddle, Kirk, JSN, Boyd, OBJ, Hyatt
TEs: Kelce, Hockenson, Taysom, Irv Smith

and then a few minor players and rookie stashed on taxi

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: What is your ideal league construction?

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:13 am

So shallower rosters will (or in theory, should) mean less trades. Nobody is going to give you anything for most players, they'll just try and pick someone off waivers. I personally hate leagues like that where bad owners get let off the hook b/c you can always find starters on the WW, but some people like leagues like that because there is more parity. If you want a larger starting roster it just doesn't make much sense to make the bench smaller. If anything you'd then need a larger bench.

AZK
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby AZK » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:17 am

1 - QB
1 - SF
8 - Flex (RB/WR/TE)

Is my favorite lineup setting

Tiered PPR - .5 WR / .75 RB / 1.5 TE

Bench is subjective depending on how active you want waivers, I prefer deeper but understand the other way just the same. Picks included is always fun but don't rush the initial set-up/vetting phase just to make it happen. No taxi just make the benches deeper if you are going to do that.
Ainslie-Rachlin Law, "Our decisions... are guided by the perceived values at the moment of the decision - not by the potential final value."

BeeziBad
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby BeeziBad » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:42 am

I personally enjoy a deeper bench with only thing left on waiver wire is scrubs and every now and then a chris carson type guy pops up.
The Mega Powers - 12Team - 1QB/2RB/3WR/1TE/2FLEX/1K - 1PPR
QB - R. Tannehill, T. Bridgewater
RB - J. Taylor, JK Dobbins, C. Akers, Z. Moss, R. Jones, R. Armstead, M. Davis, C. Edmonds
WR - J. Jeudy, H. Ruggs, T. Higgins, L. Shenault, C. Claypool, J. Reagor, C. Davis, J. Washington, B. Aiyuk, Q. Cephus, KJ Hamler, A. Lazard
TE - C. Herndon, D. Sample
Picks - 2021 - 1, 1, 1

Jabroni Beaters - 10Team - 1QB/2RB/3WR/1TE/2FLEX/1K - NONPPR
QB - P. Mahomes B. Mayfield
RB - S. Barkley, E. Elliott, JK Dobbins, A. Peterson, M. Breida, D. Freeman
WR - T. Hill. AJ Brown, DJ Moore, J. Jefferson, J. Edelman, B. Aiyuk, L. Shenault, JJAW, B. Edwards
TE - Z. Ertz, H. Hurst, J. Smith

SuperSonics - 10Team - 1QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/2FLEX/1K - .5 PPR
QB - S. Darnold, R. Tannehill, C. Newton
RB - E. Elliott, N. Chubb, D. Cook, R. Jones, A. Peterson
WR - T. Hill, O. Beckham, D. Metcalf, C. Davis, H. Renfrow, R. Cobb
TE - Z. Ertz, E. Engram, H. Henry, J. Smith, K. Rudolph
Picks - 2020 - 2.7
2021 - 2, 3

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:57 am

Instead of telling you what I want, how about I tell you my 2 deal breakers in what you've mentioned.

1) Standard scoring is boring. TE bonus scoring is also silly (to me), as it elevates the top 3-4 TEs too much.
2) If you do a snake draft for a startup, I'm out. I want auction so that everyone has equal footing.

If you want to increase trading, then you must increase the bench. Fewer players in free agency means people are required to trade.
Last edited by MEuRaH on Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:31 am

Starting requirements are ideally...
SF or 2 QB is close to a must honestly
2 RB, and 1 TE for sure... Then any mix of 2-3 WR or 1-3 flex

Bench should be enough so that you can stash guys but some players are still lingering. My one league is shallow and has guys like Edmonds and Justin Jackson sitting there. They are good stashes but not likely to ever be very valuable. As long as you aren't cutting guys like James Washington or something too early.

I play in all full ppr but think half is the way to go. None of that extra points for QB or TE, just keep it simple

Good commish, at least 2 or 3 solid trade partners. Ideally everyone would trade but not likely

Jason3123
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Jason3123 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:07 am

Superflex PPR, minimum 10 starters, minimum 25 man rosters, prefer 30ish or more. Also prefer auction draft to traditional draft.

I'm also a fan of salary cap/contract leagues.

M-Dub
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby M-Dub » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:17 am

Double-headers are a dealbreaker for me. For the amount of time and money I invest in this hobby, I want to play a schedule that is more likely to separate the good teams from the bad. Two-week semifinals and championship are important too, for the same reason. I don’t want to eliminate luck altogether (which is impossible anyway), but I prefer that skill play a much larger role than it does in leagues with 13-game seasons and one-and-done playoffs.
Both are 12-team 1QB PPR dynasties

🦬PRIME🦬
QB: Hurts, Howell
RB: Mixon, Jones, Sanders, Dobbins, Akers, Roschon, Dowdle, Kelley
WR: Nuk, Godwin, Cooper, Lockett, Flowers, Chark, Collins, Hollins, Tillman, Tolbert
TE: Hockenson, Chig, Trautman
Taxi: Willis, Z. White, M. Mims, T. Palmer

Hull Awaits
$450 cap, 60 contract years

QB: Lawrence $5/3, Richardson $5/5, Minshew $1/0, Jones $1/0, Heinicke $1/0, Tyrod $1/0
RB: Achane $4/4, Warren $2/4, Roschon $7/5, Dillon $4/1, Hubbard $2/1, Kelley $1/0
WR: Nuk $78/1, MT $25/1, M. Williams $1/0, JSN $21/5, Reed $4/5, Rice $4/5, M. Wilson $2/5
TE: Thomas $1/0, Hill $1/0, Parham $1/0

CubfanAA
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby CubfanAA » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:52 am

AZK wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:17 am 1 - QB
1 - SF
8 - Flex (RB/WR/TE)

Is my favorite lineup setting
This is my least favorite roster setup. It makes positional value irrelevant. I like 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 SF and then as many flex as the league wants to get the right size starting roster.

Paul717
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Paul717 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:31 pm

BeeziBad wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:42 am I personally enjoy a deeper bench with only thing left on waiver wire is scrubs and every now and then a chris carson type guy pops up.
This ^ x 2. I like being able to "out depth" teams during heavy bye weeks. If there are good players on the wire then that advantage goes away. As does, in a way, preparedness in general. A shallow bench league in my humble opinion is best for like a co-worker 10 team league where the goal is fun and camaraderie.
"Marathon Square" - 16 team full PPR league with 24 player roster. Keep 16 per year indefinitely, draft 8. Start 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 Team DST
QB: Jordan Love, Deshaun Watson
RB: Travis Etienne, Aaron Jones, Jamaal Williams, Kendre Miller, Jaleel McLaughlin, Sean Tucker, Deuce Vaughn
WR: A.J. Brown, Garrett Wilson, Tee Higgins, Calvin Ridley, Michael Wilson, Kendrick Bourne, Tutu Atwell, Allen Lazard, Isaiah Hodgins, Xavier Hutchinson
TE: T.J. Hockenson, Cole Kmet, Kylen Granson
K: Didn't make the playoffs in 2023 :cry: , and don't usually hold one in the offseason
Team DST: Cowboys, Lions

Picks:
2024: All my picks except 3rd rounder

Disclaimer: My one and only Championship in this league was way back in 2011. Therefore, take my replies with the appropriate grain of salt. :lol:

Paul717
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Paul717 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:34 pm

M-Dub wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:17 am Double-headers are a dealbreaker for me. For the amount of time and money I invest in this hobby, I want to play a schedule that is more likely to separate the good teams from the bad. Two-week semifinals and championship are important too, for the same reason. I don’t want to eliminate luck altogether (which is impossible anyway), but I prefer that skill play a much larger role than it does in leagues with 13-game seasons and one-and-done playoffs.
Interesting point. Counter Point: Double-headers are necessary in 16 team leagues to ensure you can play every team at least once and to ensure everyone in a division has the same opponents on their schedule. I would argue more games, not less, separates good teams from the bad.

As I re-read your comment though...maybe you are making the same point and I misunderstood your first sentence to mean you don't like double headers? Apologies if I misunderstood.
"Marathon Square" - 16 team full PPR league with 24 player roster. Keep 16 per year indefinitely, draft 8. Start 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 Team DST
QB: Jordan Love, Deshaun Watson
RB: Travis Etienne, Aaron Jones, Jamaal Williams, Kendre Miller, Jaleel McLaughlin, Sean Tucker, Deuce Vaughn
WR: A.J. Brown, Garrett Wilson, Tee Higgins, Calvin Ridley, Michael Wilson, Kendrick Bourne, Tutu Atwell, Allen Lazard, Isaiah Hodgins, Xavier Hutchinson
TE: T.J. Hockenson, Cole Kmet, Kylen Granson
K: Didn't make the playoffs in 2023 :cry: , and don't usually hold one in the offseason
Team DST: Cowboys, Lions

Picks:
2024: All my picks except 3rd rounder

Disclaimer: My one and only Championship in this league was way back in 2011. Therefore, take my replies with the appropriate grain of salt. :lol:

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:18 pm

16 teams
Superflex with low QB floors (-3 Ints, 2.5p per 100yds)
Start 10 (QB, Superflex, 3 RBs, 3 WRs, TE, Flex)
Auction Startup
No Kickers, DSTs or IDPs
Large buy-in $100+
At least 3 formal off-season events
Balanced schedule with Double/Triple Headers
Custom graphics
GroupMe
Contracts to generate turnover
Travelling Champions Trophy
Online Spring Owners Meeting
Awards
Independent Commissioner

M-Dub
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby M-Dub » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:18 pm

Paul717 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:34 pm
M-Dub wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:17 am Double-headers are a dealbreaker for me. For the amount of time and money I invest in this hobby, I want to play a schedule that is more likely to separate the good teams from the bad. Two-week semifinals and championship are important too, for the same reason. I don’t want to eliminate luck altogether (which is impossible anyway), but I prefer that skill play a much larger role than it does in leagues with 13-game seasons and one-and-done playoffs.
Interesting point. Counter Point: Double-headers are necessary in 16 team leagues to ensure you can play every team at least once and to ensure everyone in a division has the same opponents on their schedule. I would argue more games, not less, separates good teams from the bad.

As I re-read your comment though...maybe you are making the same point and I misunderstood your first sentence to mean you don't like double headers? Apologies if I misunderstood.
Yeah. We’re definitely on the same page. I’m pro-double-headers. A larger sample will always increase the likelihood that the best teams come out on top. My league only has 12 teams, but it works great for us too. We’re able to play a full 22-game double round-robin regular season in just 11 weeks, which leaves us five weeks for the playoffs. We do a one-week quarterfinal, two-week semis and a two-week championship game. In three seasons with the 22-game schedule the highest scoring regular season team has also finished 1st in the standings. In the two years that we’ve done two-week semis and championships, the #1 seed has won the title.

So while you could technically decrease the luck/fluke factor even more by playing triple-headers or even going all the way to an all-play every week format, it appears that just playing double-headers has had the desired effect already, which is great, because it still retains the fun, trash-talking element of H2H games every week. You could even argue that it doubles it, since you get two opponents every week to talk trash with.

So when I say double-headers are a dealbreaker, I mean it in the sense that I wouldn’t start or join a league without them. Hell, a couple friends and I are currently hammering out the logistics of a salary cap startup this year. We looked into RSO and were very impressed with their free agent auction room and AI that acts as a player’s “agent” for contract negotiations. But once we realized they don’t support double-header schedules, it was a non-starter.
Both are 12-team 1QB PPR dynasties

🦬PRIME🦬
QB: Hurts, Howell
RB: Mixon, Jones, Sanders, Dobbins, Akers, Roschon, Dowdle, Kelley
WR: Nuk, Godwin, Cooper, Lockett, Flowers, Chark, Collins, Hollins, Tillman, Tolbert
TE: Hockenson, Chig, Trautman
Taxi: Willis, Z. White, M. Mims, T. Palmer

Hull Awaits
$450 cap, 60 contract years

QB: Lawrence $5/3, Richardson $5/5, Minshew $1/0, Jones $1/0, Heinicke $1/0, Tyrod $1/0
RB: Achane $4/4, Warren $2/4, Roschon $7/5, Dillon $4/1, Hubbard $2/1, Kelley $1/0
WR: Nuk $78/1, MT $25/1, M. Williams $1/0, JSN $21/5, Reed $4/5, Rice $4/5, M. Wilson $2/5
TE: Thomas $1/0, Hill $1/0, Parham $1/0

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:26 pm

I thought this was a bump of an old thread..
But it turns out this is a new thread.. hm..

Here we go. More opinions here.

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:47 pm

Hell, a couple friends and I are currently hammering out the logistics of a salary cap startup this year.
Would love to hear more details...

I also have a contract league in the works. Not salary cap. See my signature. Would be open to collaborate. Have 5 years of commissioning a full salary cap league myself.