What is your ideal league construction?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
jordanzs
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: What is your ideal league construction?

Postby jordanzs » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:12 pm

If you're doing superflex, please don't give less than 1ppr. Even in PPR, QB scoring beats the RB/WR/TE scoring. If you devalue those other positions by lowering the points per reception, then you're basically making it a "start 2QB" league.

I would get creative:

For QBs, make the rushing yard points equal to the passing yard points. Let's remove the "tyrod taylor sucks in real life but is great for fantasy syndrome".

Then I would give .125 per completion and -.125 per incompletion. a QB who completes 20 of 26 passes should score more than a QB who completes 15 out of 40 passes. You can make it more aggressive by going .25/-.25.

Then I would go PPR, and give maybe .5 per first down, maybe .1 per carry. Give TEs a premium on the PPR perhaps like 1.25 per reception, or give them 1 point per 8 yards instead of per 10 yards.

And I would test this scoring on previous year's stats to see how all the players spec out versus players of other positions. If your top 20 scorers are QBs and then #21 is Mccaffrey, let's say, then tweak the scoring some more to get it right.

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:21 am

jordanzs wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:12 pm
And I would test this scoring on previous year's stats to see how all the players spec out versus players of other positions. If your top 20 scorers are QBs and then #21 is Mccaffrey, let's say, then tweak the scoring some more to get it right.
Exactly! Always look at player's stats to see how the rules pan out, especially in Superflex leagues. More often than not the commissioner did not address QB scoring adequately, and like Jordanzs notes, they comprise most of the top 20.

My feelings is that each of the other positions (RB, WR, TE) have low floors, basically 1-5 points on a weekend. QBs should go down there as well when they have a bad day. Elite QBs might hit it once a season, while moderate one's do it 3-5 times a season, and scrubs are down there every other week.

The best way imho to do it is to reduce yardage points (2.5 per 100 yds, in increments of course) and heavily penalize INTs (-3 for each INT and -2 for Pick6s). This means that a 200 yard (5pts), 1 TD (4pts), 2 INTs (-6pts) outing results in a 3 point weekend. In standard scoring, this QB would still get 200 yards (8pts), 1 TD (4-6pts), 2 INTs (-2pts), which is 10 to 12 points. BARF. No way should that outing deliver double digit points.

Low QB floors is the way to go. If you want to see it in action, take a look at the Player Stats on my new Superflex:

https://www56.myfantasyleague.com/2019/ ... 60540&O=08

That's balance right there!

:dance:

Kcarr
Starter
Starter

Postby Kcarr » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:59 am

Personally I prefer tiered ppr, probably .5 for rb, .75 for wr, 1 for te though I would be interested in a point per first down set up either along with or more likely to replace or reduce the ppr.

Also the deeper the better. I would prefer a situation where most people being rostered in the NFL are being rostered but would not look to settle for anything where after the rookie draft there are still day 2 rookies sitting there on waivers or where that level of player cannot be kept pretty much off waivers by most teams throughout the season or if they are dropped people have the room to snap them up.

Now, you aren't going idp but the question was my preferences and I prefer leagues with more idp starters than offensive to reflect the fact that the NFL starts more defensive guys than offensive skill position guys. Also, no kicker or punter, not a huge fan of those
4th and long: ppr, 10 team, qb, rb, rb, wr, wr, wr, flex, flex, te, k, dl, dl, lb, lb, db, db, dflex, dflex

QB: Kirk Cousins Tyrod Taylor, Jared Goff
RB: Melvin Gordon, Ezekiel Elliot, Theo Riddick, D'Onta Foreman, James Conner, Jamal Williams
WR: Alshon Jeffrey, Amari Cooper, Sammy Watkins, Keenan Allen, Jordan Matthews, Cole Beasley, Robby Anderson, Corey Davis, Breshad Perriman, Eli Rogers
TE: Eric Ebron, , David Njoku, Jack Doyle
K: Will Lutz
DL: Frank Clark, Danielle Hunter
LB: Luke Kuechley, Bobby Wagner, Jordan Hicks, Mark Barron, Darron Lee
DB: Sean Davis, Morgan Burnett,

IR: Clayton Geathers, Quincy Enunwa, Raekwon McMillan

Jason3123
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Jason3123 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:10 am

Goes without saying but I also don't think DEF and K belong in dynasty either, not for me anyways.

AZK
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby AZK » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:39 am

CubfanAA wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:52 am
AZK wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:17 am
1 - QB
1 - SF
8 - Flex (RB/WR/TE)

Is my favorite lineup setting
This is my least favorite roster setup. It makes positional value irrelevant.
It's not for everyone but that is why I enjoy it so much. It allows every owner the flexibility to build their team anyway they want and also makes studs more obtainable. Say someone has Barkley, Zeke and Julio. They have no more advantage over a team that builds around OBJ, Ertz and Kelce. It leads to limitless ways to build a competitive team which provides more parity. Also makes lineup choices for people in multiple leagues so much easier on game day.
Ainslie-Rachlin Law, "Our decisions... are guided by the perceived values at the moment of the decision - not by the potential final value."

EvilleViking
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby EvilleViking » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:22 pm

My favorite league has no waviers. I think it promotes trading and makes the draft more interesting.
kittlelicious
10 man superflex
Qb A.Rodgers R.Wilson S.Darnold
Rb J.Mixon L.Fournette K.Johnson J.Samuels K.Drake
Wr A.Thielen S.Diggs A.Jeffrey J.Edelman T.Lockett T.Smith T.Williams E.St.Brown
Te G.Kittle M.Andrews

Ryantacular
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Ryantacular » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:10 pm

M-Dub wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:17 am
Double-headers are a dealbreaker for me. For the amount of time and money I invest in this hobby, I want to play a schedule that is more likely to separate the good teams from the bad. Two-week semifinals and championship are important too, for the same reason. I don’t want to eliminate luck altogether (which is impossible anyway), but I prefer that skill play a much larger role than it does in leagues with 13-game seasons and one-and-done playoffs.
Double headers help separate good from the bad instead of letting people get off with lucky weeks imo.
16 Team 7 Keeper Dynasty, non ppr - 1QB 1 RB 1 WR 1 TE 3 Flex; 1 DL/DB/LB bonus points for touchdowns.
https://www72.myfantasyleague.com/2019/ ... =07&F=0009

10 Team Dynasty, 12 Keepers, .5 PPR - 1 QB,1 RB,1 WR,1T E,3 Flex; Full IDP (2 DT/2 DE/3 LB/4 DB), .5 ppr. bonus points for TDs/Big Plays.
https://www63.myfantasyleague.com/2019/ ... =0001&O=07

16 Team Salary Cap/Contract Full Dynasty, 53 man Rosters, 1.0 PPR 1QB, Full IDP
https://www54.myfantasyleague.com/2019/ ... =0001&O=07

Masters League 1
http://www64.myfantasyleague.com/2019/o ... 37337&O=07

Masters League 2
http://www81.myfantasyleague.com/2019/o ... 76354&O=07

Ryantacular
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Ryantacular » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:11 pm

M-Dub wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:18 pm
Paul717 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:34 pm
M-Dub wrote:
Double-headers are a dealbreaker for me. For the amount of time and money I invest in this hobby, I want to play a schedule that is more likely to separate the good teams from the bad. Two-week semifinals and championship are important too, for the same reason. I don’t want to eliminate luck altogether (which is impossible anyway), but I prefer that skill play a much larger role than it does in leagues with 13-game seasons and one-and-done playoffs.
Interesting point. Counter Point: Double-headers are necessary in 16 team leagues to ensure you can play every team at least once and to ensure everyone in a division has the same opponents on their schedule. I would argue more games, not less, separates good teams from the bad.

As I re-read your comment though...maybe you are making the same point and I misunderstood your first sentence to mean you don't like double headers? Apologies if I misunderstood.
Yeah. We’re definitely on the same page. I’m pro-double-headers. A larger sample will always increase the likelihood that the best teams come out on top. My league only has 12 teams, but it works great for us too. We’re able to play a full 22-game double round-robin regular season in just 11 weeks, which leaves us five weeks for the playoffs. We do a one-week quarterfinal, two-week semis and a two-week championship game. In three seasons with the 22-game schedule the highest scoring regular season team has also finished 1st in the standings. In the two years that we’ve done two-week semis and championships, the #1 seed has won the title.

So while you could technically decrease the luck/fluke factor even more by playing triple-headers or even going all the way to an all-play every week format, it appears that just playing double-headers has had the desired effect already, which is great, because it still retains the fun, trash-talking element of H2H games every week. You could even argue that it doubles it, since you get two opponents every week to talk trash with.

So when I say double-headers are a dealbreaker, I mean it in the sense that I wouldn’t start or join a league without them. Hell, a couple friends and I are currently hammering out the logistics of a salary cap startup this year. We looked into RSO and were very impressed with their free agent auction room and AI that acts as a player’s “agent” for contract negotiations. But once we realized they don’t support double-header schedules, it was a non-starter.
Just read this, You're pro double headers okay, we are on same page after all.
16 Team 7 Keeper Dynasty, non ppr - 1QB 1 RB 1 WR 1 TE 3 Flex; 1 DL/DB/LB bonus points for touchdowns.
https://www72.myfantasyleague.com/2019/ ... =07&F=0009

10 Team Dynasty, 12 Keepers, .5 PPR - 1 QB,1 RB,1 WR,1T E,3 Flex; Full IDP (2 DT/2 DE/3 LB/4 DB), .5 ppr. bonus points for TDs/Big Plays.
https://www63.myfantasyleague.com/2019/ ... =0001&O=07

16 Team Salary Cap/Contract Full Dynasty, 53 man Rosters, 1.0 PPR 1QB, Full IDP
https://www54.myfantasyleague.com/2019/ ... =0001&O=07

Masters League 1
http://www64.myfantasyleague.com/2019/o ... 37337&O=07

Masters League 2
http://www81.myfantasyleague.com/2019/o ... 76354&O=07

Wizard
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Wizard » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:33 pm

M-Dub wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:18 pm
Paul717 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:34 pm
M-Dub wrote:
Interesting point. Counter Point: Double-headers are necessary in 16 team leagues to ensure you can play every team at least once and to ensure everyone in a division has the same opponents on their schedule. I would argue more games, not less, separates good teams from the bad.

As I re-read your comment though...maybe you are making the same point and I misunderstood your first sentence to mean you don't like double headers? Apologies if I misunderstood.
Yeah. We’re definitely on the same page. I’m pro-double-headers. A larger sample will always increase the likelihood that the best teams come out on top. My league only has 12 teams, but it works great for us too. We’re able to play a full 22-game double round-robin regular season in just 11 weeks, which leaves us five weeks for the playoffs. We do a one-week quarterfinal, two-week semis and a two-week championship game. In three seasons with the 22-game schedule the highest scoring regular season team has also finished 1st in the standings. In the two years that we’ve done two-week semis and championships, the #1 seed has won the title.

So while you could technically decrease the luck/fluke factor even more by playing triple-headers or even going all the way to an all-play every week format, it appears that just playing double-headers has had the desired effect already, which is great, because it still retains the fun, trash-talking element of H2H games every week. You could even argue that it doubles it, since you get two opponents every week to talk trash with.

So when I say double-headers are a dealbreaker, I mean it in the sense that I wouldn’t start or join a league without them. Hell, a couple friends and I are currently hammering out the logistics of a salary cap startup this year. We looked into RSO and were very impressed with their free agent auction room and AI that acts as a player’s “agent” for contract negotiations. But once we realized they don’t support double-header schedules, it was a non-starter.
That sounds interesting, can you post how the playoffs work? Sounds confusing but it probably isn't (I hope)
QB -Tom Brady, Nick Foles Deshaun Watson

RB - Kenyan Drake, Darrius Guise, Tevin Coleman, Leonard Fournett, Kareem Hunt, Justin Jackson, Jaylen Samuels, Carlos Hyde, Duke Johnson Jr., Jordan Wilkins, CJ Anderson, Chris Warren,

WR - Davante Adams , T.Y. Hilton, Courtland Sutton, Devin Funchess, Doug Baldwin, Michael Crabtree, Antonio Callaway, J’Mon Moore, Dylan Cantrell, Keith Kirkwood, James Richie

TE - Zach Ertz, Harris Demetrius, Hayden Hurst

M-Dub
MVP
MVP

Postby M-Dub » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:42 pm

Not really confusing, just a little extra work since MFL doesn’t support two-week playoff games.

In week 12 we have a 3-team quarterfinal “triple threat” match, with the two highest scoring teams advancing to the semis. If you prefer six teams in the playoffs, this could just as easily be a traditional 3 vs 6 and 4 vs 5 quarterfinal. The semifinals are weeks 13-14. After the week 13 results are final, we just adjust the week 14 scores to reflect the week 13 scoring. Same with the championship in week 15-16.
Darcia Lee Fan Club
12-team PPR dynasty, 17-player roster, 4-player taxi
8 starters: 1 QB, 1-4 RB/WR/TE

QB: Wilson
RB: McCaffrey, Mixon, Lindsay, Guice, J. Hill, Scarbrough, Miller (IR)
WR: Godwin, Golladay, Keenan, Woods, Sammy, Tre’Quan
TE: Ertz, Rudolph
Taxi: Irv Smith, Dexter, Gaskin

Put The Coke On My Dak
Same settings as above except 18-player rosters

QB: Dak, Baker
RB: CMC, DJ, Sanders, Barber, Edwards, Gallman
WR: Julio, ARob, Kirk, Lockett, Campbell, Tate
TE: Kelce, Goedert, Howard, Jonnu
Taxi: Gaskin, Isabella

The Guiceman Cometh
20-player rosters, $420 cap, 60 contract years, same starting requirements

QB: Foles $1/1, Minshew $1/1
RB: Gurley $71/2, Gordon $62/2, Dam. Williams $36/1, Guice $24/4, Henderson $14/3, Hill $4/5, Jon Williams $1/1, Gaskin $1/1
WR: Godwin $50/4, Hilton $43/2, Hollywood $9/3, Hamilton $2/5, Conley $1/1, Pascal $1/1, Gage $1/1
TE: Njoku $28/1, Howard $20/4, Griffin $1/1