Embarrassing - Errors in Offers

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Embarrassing - Errors in Offers

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:44 am

So I've very embarrassed about a couple of mistakes I've recently made in the salary cap / contract league that I commission. And as part of the cathartic process, I think it's a good idea to post about it here so that everyone can get a good laugh.

I recently sent a couple offers to league mates of mine . . . including in each offer an additional player by mistake. Each offer stood for awhile and then was accepted. And in each instance, I did not notice the player that I had included by mistake until well after the acceptance (hours later).

The reasons this keeps happening to me is that I scour through the Draft picks list on MFL looking for a pick to target, then when I see a pick I like, I navigate over to the Rosters page and review that teams roster, rather than going into Trades and selecting that team to trade with. Once I've seen the other team's roster, and if I want to make an offer, I simply click on one of the "Trade" buttons on the Roster page, even if I'm not interested in including that player. Why? Because that's a one-click way to get to the Trade Offer page without having to navigate to the Trade page and then select the team that I want to trade with.

The problem with this shortcut is that I've forgotten to un-select the player that got me to the Trade Offer page. He was never a target of mine, just a means to get to the Trade Offer page.

In both instances, the other owners were cool about the error and I expressed my gratitude by leaving behind a bit of value (in the form of a late pick). I am the commissioner in this league, and I would not have reversed the trade had the other owner elected to maintain the trade.

Anyway, I'm very embarrassed about this situation, and I'm wondering if others have done similar. Especially using the shortcut that I've described above. Or is this a Cult Special?

grooner
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: Embarrassing - Errors in Offers

Postby grooner » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:08 am

Wasn't a trade error, but had something similar happen in a league using the drop player click under IR. In one league it's a 23 man roster with 2 IR spots, and after week 17 the IR slot has to be clear until the start of the next season. It was last year when edelman ended the year on IR. rather than putting him back to my roster like I thought I was doing, I dropped him and promoted the other guy who was on IR (can't even remember who it was, but I did not want to keep him). I didn't realize I did it until the first run of waivers went through the next week, and someone picked up edelman! I told the league I didn't mean to drop him, just so people don't think I'm doing something shady, but sadly the other guy didn't offer to return him lol, and I was much too embarrassed to ask for him back.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:14 am

I'm terrible for this. I often peruse rosters, and click on "trade" beside a random players name to get into the trade window, and forget to remove the player from the deal I want to do. Sometimes it is grossly skewed in value as a result, and I have to revoke, or explain to the owner I was not offering a second round pick for Nyhiem Hines AND Julio Jones, for example.

I had also worked out a trade for Hunt, prior to all the nonsense he got into, of two projected early firsts and change. When we had worked out the details, I sent the offer over to the waiting owner. A few minutes later, he sent me a message saying, "you might want to reconsider your offer". I was puzzled, and so went to check it. It turns out I had checked off the box for Carlos Hyde, who was directly under Kareem Hunt's name on his roster. Luckily the guy was honest about it, or I would have been fleeced by my own sloppiness.
Last edited by FantasyFreak on Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:15 am

I use the same shortcut to look at trades. I haven't (yet) forgotten to uncheck the player box once I'm in the trade window.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:17 am

Valhalla wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:15 am I use the same shortcut to look at trades. I haven't (yet) forgotten to uncheck the player box once I'm in the trade window.
Well I guess you're just better than me. :doh: :lol:

AZK
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby AZK » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:47 am

I use the same shortcut but in order to stop myself from doing the same (which I have) is click the player at the top of their roster and then immediately go in and deselect that player and construct the trade. It has helped with this dilemma for me.
Ainslie-Rachlin Law, "Our decisions... are guided by the perceived values at the moment of the decision - not by the potential final value."

BigBawseRoss
GOAT
GOAT

Postby BigBawseRoss » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:51 am

i dont like using the mfl trade function unless i have to. i use the app. i need to see just the trade and not the 48 other players not involved as well.

lots of room for errors to be made as it is currently designed
team 1
12 team, 1 pt for 4 rec, 0.1 per rush
1qb, 3 rb, 4 wr, te, k, 4 idp
Dak , Herbert
Achane, Breece Hall, KW3Kyren,Ford, Miller, Spiller, z evans, singletary
J Jefferson, Diggs, DK, D Smith Puka, C Watson, E Moore
Njoku , HH, Engram

2024 picks
1,3,4,5,5,6,7 (all late mostly)

team 2
12 team .5ppr
qb, 2 rb, 2 wr, te, flx,flx,
Fields, Dak
Ford,Mixon, Javonte, Mostert, Chubb, Spears
Hopkins, Evans, g Wilson Mingo, shaheed, Jamo
Kelce,McBride, Chig,

team 3
14 team sf, even scoring idp to offense (rb scores highly too)
Josh Allen, A Rich, Foles, Rudolph
Bijan, Charbs, Spears, Ebner
J Williams, G Wilson, C Watson, Flowers, J Addison, Tillman
Kincaid, Kolar, Ruckert, Fergeson

Kenny Clark, josh allen, jaelen phillips, felix a-u and a bunch of fluff and rookie fliers at idp

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:54 am

I recently submitted an offer using my phone. I forgot click the box next the one one player I wanted from the other guy's team, so the offer ended up being me sending a couple draft picks for nothing in return.

The guy accepted, then deliberately waited about 48 hours before replying to the commissioner's (and my) emails attempting to reverse the trade. He said he was "teaching me a lesson".

Thanks bud. Yeah, it was my mistake, but no "lesson" needed. I just made a mistake, which is very easy when using a phone vs an actual computer. Now he's not on my list of first offers when I'm ready to deal.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

Blueboy
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Blueboy » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:56 am

As far as embarassing moments go, during a startup in 2017 I tried to take Kareem Hunt in the 3rd... accidentally took another RB on the Chiefs who had a very similar name. Can't even remember who it was.

EDIT: Akeem Hunt, who was also an RB on KC. Ridiculous. It caused a big debate in my league about whether or not my pick should be corrected, and I ended up being stuck with Akeem. Kareem Hunt fell to me in the 4th round though, with Isaiah Crowell being selected the pick before (remember the hype he had?)

12-team SF, PPR, TE premium, 0.25 PPCarry
1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 1SF 4Flex
QB: Mahomes, Fields, Love
RB: Bijan, ETN, Pollard, Achane, Herbert
WR: Kupp, Hill, Metcalf, Ridley, Jeudy, D.J. M, Burks, Hollywood, Wan'Dale
TE: Kyle Pitts, Goedert

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:12 pm

Blueboy wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:56 am As far as embarassing moments go, during a startup in 2017 I tried to take Kareem Hunt in the 3rd... accidentally took another RB on the Chiefs who had a very similar name. Can't even remember who it was.

EDIT: Akeem Hunt, who was also an RB on KC. Ridiculous. It caused a big debate in my league about whether or not my pick should be corrected, and I ended up being stuck with Akeem. Kareem Hunt fell to me in the 4th round though, with Isaiah Crowell being selected the pick before (remember the hype he had?)
LOL. I actually created a thread a while back as a joke about players with similar names or the same names, and used Akeem Hunt as the example. Sending an owner a trade offer with Akeem, and hope he thought it was Kareem. It sucks you got nailed on that.

BigBawseRoss
GOAT
GOAT

Postby BigBawseRoss » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:21 pm

Blueboy wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:56 am As far as embarassing moments go, during a startup in 2017 I tried to take Kareem Hunt in the 3rd... accidentally took another RB on the Chiefs who had a very similar name. Can't even remember who it was.

you are more resilient than i, would have left right away lol

i do not remember the crowell hype
team 1
12 team, 1 pt for 4 rec, 0.1 per rush
1qb, 3 rb, 4 wr, te, k, 4 idp
Dak , Herbert
Achane, Breece Hall, KW3Kyren,Ford, Miller, Spiller, z evans, singletary
J Jefferson, Diggs, DK, D Smith Puka, C Watson, E Moore
Njoku , HH, Engram

2024 picks
1,3,4,5,5,6,7 (all late mostly)

team 2
12 team .5ppr
qb, 2 rb, 2 wr, te, flx,flx,
Fields, Dak
Ford,Mixon, Javonte, Mostert, Chubb, Spears
Hopkins, Evans, g Wilson Mingo, shaheed, Jamo
Kelce,McBride, Chig,

team 3
14 team sf, even scoring idp to offense (rb scores highly too)
Josh Allen, A Rich, Foles, Rudolph
Bijan, Charbs, Spears, Ebner
J Williams, G Wilson, C Watson, Flowers, J Addison, Tillman
Kincaid, Kolar, Ruckert, Fergeson

Kenny Clark, josh allen, jaelen phillips, felix a-u and a bunch of fluff and rookie fliers at idp

M-Dub
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby M-Dub » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:50 pm

I’ve actually never used the “Trade” shortcut next to a player’s name before. Didn’t even really notice it before this thread. From the Rosters page, I always just click on the team name, and then the top option on their team page is “Propose a trade.” Two clicks and you’re there.
Both are 12-team 1QB PPR dynasties

🦬PRIME🦬
QB: Hurts, Howell
RB: Mixon, Jones, Sanders, Dobbins, Akers, Roschon, Dowdle, Kelley
WR: Nuk, Godwin, Cooper, Lockett, Flowers, Chark, Collins, Hollins, Tillman, Tolbert
TE: Hockenson, Chig, Trautman
Taxi: Willis, Z. White, M. Mims, T. Palmer

Hull Awaits
$450 cap, 60 contract years

QB: Lawrence $5/3, Richardson $5/5, Minshew $1/0, Jones $1/0, Heinicke $1/0, Tyrod $1/0
RB: Achane $4/4, Warren $2/4, Roschon $7/5, Dillon $4/1, Hubbard $2/1, Kelley $1/0
WR: Nuk $78/1, MT $25/1, M. Williams $1/0, JSN $21/5, Reed $4/5, Rice $4/5, M. Wilson $2/5
TE: Thomas $1/0, Hill $1/0, Parham $1/0

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:27 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:17 am
Valhalla wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:15 am I use the same shortcut to look at trades. I haven't (yet) forgotten to uncheck the player box once I'm in the trade window.
Well I guess you're just better than me. :doh: :lol:
Notice the word "yet." I fully expect I will screw up...eventually.

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:26 pm

M-Dub wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:50 pm Drom the Rosters page, I always just click on the team name, and then the top option on their team page is “Propose a trade.” Two clicks and you’re there.
That doesn't work for me. It takes me to the Team Roster page, so I still have to click on Main to get me to where "Propose Trade" is located. So a total of three clicks, which is far too many clicks in this day and age.

kamihamster
Captain
Captain

Postby kamihamster » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:47 pm

Not my mistake, but funny nonetheless. In a redraft auction league, yahoo defaults $1 in the bid box. My friend wanted to bid $40 on Ahmad Bradshaw and didn't notice the $1 was still there, so it ended up being a $140 bid out of a $200 budget. No one else bid on Bradshaw. He was down to $60 on his first player.
NTL (est 2016): (8-0)
12-team, PPR, 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,1FLX
QB: A.Rodgers, D.Jones
RB: A.Kamara, K.Johnson, K.Drake, Da.Henderson, C.Anderson, K.Ballage, T.Montgomery, J.Wilson, D.Ogunbowale, Dw.Washington, J.Kelly, P.Perkins, A.Blue
WR: O.Beckham, D.Hopkins, C.Kupp, D.Chark, R.Foster, A.Wilson, J.Reynolds, S.Morgan, B.Pringle, O.Johnson, D.Williams, D.Willis
TE: J.Cook, M.Andrews, A.Shaheen, B.Jarwin
2020 Picks: 3, 4
2021 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4
2022 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4

Home League (est 2014): 2018 Champ (6-2)
12-team, NPPR-6ptTD, 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,2FLX,1K,1DST,4IDP
QB: P.Mahomes, J.Goff
RB: D.Cook, A.Kamara, J.Mixon, M.Breida, S.Michel, F.Gore, D.Guice, K.Ballage, D.Ogunbowale, R.Bonnafon, J.Scarlett, W.Gallman, J.Kelly, J.Wilson
WR: D.Adams, J.Smith-Schuster, T.Boyd, A.Robinson, L.Fitzgerald, Jo.Brown, M.Valdes-Scantiling, K.Harmon, Z.Pascal
TE: E.Engram, A.Hooper
DST: NOS
K: W.Lutz
2020 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
2021 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5