General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
jetsfan5757
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: A possible "buy low period" for Saquon may happen this year

Postby jetsfan5757 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:49 pm

Ice wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:44 am
Cameron Giles wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:20 am
Ice wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:56 pm It is pure fantasy thinking Uber studs can be a buy low player with no age or off field issues.

Barkley is a stud.
Zeke is a stud
Kamara is a stud
CMC is a stud.

These players sell at high market period. No owner in their right mind would accept anything under premium value.
Every player in dynasty eventually has a buy low window. Nobody is immune. It's a pretty safe bet that sometime in the near future, Barkley will cost significantly less. See Todd Gurley, Leonard Fournette, David Johnson, & Le'Veon Bell.
Your comment is obvious. However this thread is about Barkley entering a buy low period now.

Maybe you agree, but at this point that is pure fantasy IMO. He is an Uber Stud and seen as such by virtually everyone.
I thought the thread was about Barkley entering a buy low window if he badly underperformed this year. Not that he is already in one.

I agree with others who said he might enter a buy lowER window, but I think even that will be top 5 RB price (whereas right now it feels like he's in a tier of his own).
Dynasty League (25 man rosters + 2 IR, non-PPR scoring. QB/3RB/3WR/2TE/K/DB/LB/DL no flex)

QB (1): Herbert, Lawrence, Darnold
RB (3): N. Chubb, D. Henry, J. Taylor, JK Dobbins, Pollard, Singletary, L. Murray
WR (3): D. Hopkins, D. Adams, M. Evans, D.J. Moore, DJ Chark, B. Aiyuk, J. Smith-Schuster, R Bateman, E. Moore
TE (2): I. Smith Jr, H. Henry, Schultz, Tremble

K (1): M. Crosby

DB (1): J. Adams
LB (1): F. Warner
DL (1): D. Lawrence

PS: I often don't revisit a thread after posting. Send me a message if you ever want further thoughts on a comment I made.

Kcarr
Captain
Captain

Postby Kcarr » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:59 pm

DJB wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:20 pm I dont have any concrete evidence to this but will try some context.

https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/strengt ... osition=RB

Giants have 31st toughest RB schedule this year. So Barkley is already facing a tough uphill battle.

https://www.fantasypros.com/2019/07/how ... ball-2019/

This article gives great context into how poor offences usually affect RB'S a ton in terms of fantasy scoring.

Its a pretty long article but the biggest takeaway is that if a team has a bottom 10 scoring offence, there is only a 7.1 % chance that the RB on that team is a top 6 fantasy RB.

Now you could point out that Barkley was a top fantasy RB on last year on the Giants and they were a top 16 offence, but by losing Odell and relying on Manning or a rookie to keep that team out of the bottom 10 for offence seems like a stretch.

Im aware that Barkley is a stud, I realize hes generational, but I'm just trying to point out that maybe his production dips and there might be a window where his cost dips a bit.

At this time last year I believe that Gurley was the RB1 and look how far he has fallen. (Yes I understand it's different circumstances because of his injury).

Barkley is ranked #1 in RB rankings . All it takes is for him to move down one spot and you can argue his value has decreased even if it's minimal making him an easier buy.

Take this thread for what its worth. :)
A couple of things stand out to me here with these percentages that may go overlooked. First, the chances of a bottom 10 offense having a top 6 rb is low, 7.1%, which should be expected for 2 reasons. First, if the rb is that good it will often raise the offense above bottom 10 and second, if the offense is good the backs will flourish meaning more top offenses will fill those few spots.

That said, regardless of overall offense the chance of the top back being top 6 is low, only 18% of all teams will have a top 6 back.

Also, if 7% of bottom 10 teams have one then more often than not one of the bottom 10 teams will have one. Which back do you think will be on a bottom 10 offense that has a better chance of being top 6 than Barkley
4th and long: ppr, 10 team, qb, rb, rb, wr, wr, wr, flex, flex, te, k, dl, dl, lb, lb, db, db, dflex, dflex

QB: Kirk Cousins Tyrod Taylor, Jared Goff
RB: Melvin Gordon, Ezekiel Elliot, Theo Riddick, D'Onta Foreman, James Conner, Jamal Williams
WR: Alshon Jeffrey, Amari Cooper, Sammy Watkins, Keenan Allen, Jordan Matthews, Cole Beasley, Robby Anderson, Corey Davis, Breshad Perriman, Eli Rogers
TE: Eric Ebron, , David Njoku, Jack Doyle
K: Will Lutz
DL: Frank Clark, Danielle Hunter
LB: Luke Kuechley, Bobby Wagner, Jordan Hicks, Mark Barron, Darron Lee
DB: Sean Davis, Morgan Burnett,

IR: Clayton Geathers, Quincy Enunwa, Raekwon McMillan

Hottoddies
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Hottoddies » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:28 pm

Kcarr wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:59 pm
DJB wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:20 pm I dont have any concrete evidence to this but will try some context.

Giants have 31st toughest RB schedule this year. So Barkley is already facing a tough uphill battle.

This article gives great context into how poor offences usually affect RB'S a ton in terms of fantasy scoring.

Its a pretty long article but the biggest takeaway is that if a team has a bottom 10 scoring offence, there is only a 7.1 % chance that the RB on that team is a top 6 fantasy RB.

Now you could point out that Barkley was a top fantasy RB on last year on the Giants and they were a top 16 offence, but by losing Odell and relying on Manning or a rookie to keep that team out of the bottom 10 for offence seems like a stretch.

Im aware that Barkley is a stud, I realize hes generational, but I'm just trying to point out that maybe his production dips and there might be a window where his cost dips a bit.

At this time last year I believe that Gurley was the RB1 and look how far he has fallen. (Yes I understand it's different circumstances because of his injury).

Barkley is ranked #1 in RB rankings . All it takes is for him to move down one spot and you can argue his value has decreased even if it's minimal making him an easier buy.

A couple of things stand out to me here with these percentages that may go overlooked. First, the chances of a bottom 10 offense having a top 6 rb is low, 7.1%, which should be expected for 2 reasons. First, if the rb is that good it will often raise the offense above bottom 10 and second, if the offense is good the backs will flourish meaning more top offenses will fill those few spots.

That said, regardless of overall offense the chance of the top back being top 6 is low, only 18% of all teams will have a top 6 back.

Also, if 7% of bottom 10 teams have one then more often than not one of the bottom 10 teams will have one. Which back do you think will be on a bottom 10 offense that has a better chance of being top 6 than Barkley
There are lies, there are damn lies, then there are statistics, and sometimes even a total misunderstanding of what the statistics actually mean. If the bottom 10 scoring offenses have a 7.1% chance of producing a top 6 RB, it doesn't mean that 7.1% of bottom 10 scoring offenses will produce a top 6 RB.

What it does mean is that there is a 92.9% chance that a bottom 10 scoring offense will not produce a top 6 RB. In other words, a bottom 10 scoring offense will produce ZERO top 6 RBs more often than not.
"Smart people learn from everything and everyone, average people from their experiences, stupid people already have all the answers." - Socrates

jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jenkins.math » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:18 am

The issue with trying to find a correlation between offensive ranks and RB ranks is that the game has really evolved over the past 5 years or so where pass catching for a RB is more important now than ever before. There has always been the entire chicken vs egg argument when it comes to "does a good running game = more wins, or does more wins = a good running game". The prevailing thought has been that you run the ball more when you're winning to run clock, thus increasing the volume of your RB, thus increasing his stat line. Whereas if you are down, you're airing the ball out and not running near as much.

Well when you have guys like Barkley, CMC, Kamara, etc those guys are going to be on the field and involved in the offense regardless. They are all going to get touches no matter what via air or ground. Barkley is still the Giants best offensive weapon and if he is averaging 20+ touches per game (he averaged 22 last season) I would bet he ends up as a top 5 RB again regardless of where the Giants offense ends up being ranked.

What I do agree with is that if the Giants are a bottom 10 offense I do not believe Barkley with be the number 1 overall RB. I think the whole "buy low period" is crazy talk though.

Kcarr
Captain
Captain

Postby Kcarr » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:41 am

Hottoddies wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:28 pm

There are lies, there are damn lies, then there are statistics, and sometimes even a total misunderstanding of what the statistics actually mean. If the bottom 10 scoring offenses have a 7.1% chance of producing a top 6 RB, it doesn't mean that 7.1% of bottom 10 scoring offenses will produce a top 6 RB.

What it does mean is that there is a 92.9% chance that a bottom 10 scoring offense will not produce a top 6 RB. In other words, a bottom 10 scoring offense will produce ZERO top 6 RBs more often than not.
You are correct, somewhat, I had not read the article and was basing my statement off of the post. The post said if a team was in the bottom 10 in offense that team had a 7.1% chance of having a top 6 back. The article says that all bottom teams total produce 7.1% of top 10 backs.

Those are two completely different things, though both are different than your statement that there is a 92.9% chance no bottom team will produce a top 6 back any given year. Considering that there are 6 such spots and bottom 10 teams produce 7.1% of them, essentially 1 out of 15, with 6 such spots to fill each year actually there is around a 40% chance that one of the bottom 10 offenses will produce 1 top 6 running back.
4th and long: ppr, 10 team, qb, rb, rb, wr, wr, wr, flex, flex, te, k, dl, dl, lb, lb, db, db, dflex, dflex

RB: Melvin Gordon, Ezekiel Elliot, Theo Riddick, D'Onta Foreman, James Conner, Jamal Williams
WR: Alshon Jeffrey, Amari Cooper, Sammy Watkins, Keenan Allen, Jordan Matthews, Cole Beasley, Robby Anderson, Corey Davis, Breshad Perriman, Eli Rogers

GridironGuerilla
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby GridironGuerilla » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:02 am

We need football.
"If on 4th down, the quarterback doesn't complete his pass, they will turn over the ball."

-Booger McFarlland

Kcarr
Captain
Captain

Postby Kcarr » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:36 am

GridironGuerilla wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:02 am We need football.
Pretty sure we need more math heavy over analysis of semi relevant statistics

GridironGuerilla
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby GridironGuerilla » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:29 am

Kcarr wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:36 am
GridironGuerilla wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:02 am We need football.
Pretty sure we need more math heavy over analysis of semi relevant statistics
Haha! :clap:
"If on 4th down, the quarterback doesn't complete his pass, they will turn over the ball."

-Booger McFarlland

Hottoddies
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Hottoddies » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:25 pm

Kcarr wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:41 am

You are correct, somewhat, I had not read the article and was basing my statement off of the post. The post said if a team was in the bottom 10 in offense that team had a 7.1% chance of having a top 6 back. The article says that all bottom teams total produce 7.1% of top 10 backs.

Those are two completely different things, though both are different than your statement that there is a 92.9% chance no bottom team will produce a top 6 back any given year. Considering that there are 6 such spots and bottom 10 teams produce 7.1% of them, essentially 1 out of 15, with 6 such spots to fill each year actually there is around a 40% chance that one of the bottom 10 offenses will produce 1 top 6 running back.
O.K. now that I've read the source article I see that you both got it wrong. The article states the chances a top 6 RB comes from a bottom 10 team not the chances a bottom 10 team produces a top 6 RB. I assumed that DJB got his statement straight from the article.

The article states that in the last 7 years 7.1%(3 out of 42) of the top 6 RBs came from bottom 10 teams. So actually there were 3 occasions in the last 7 years that a bottom 10 team had a top 6 RB. That would mean that 42.8%(3 out of 7) of the time in the last 7 years a bottom 10 team produced a top 6 RB.

Regardless of whatever the historical facts are, I think the chances of Barkley being a top producer are pretty good and the chances of him losing value in the eyes of his owners are pretty low. I just wanted to clear up the misunderstandings of the statistics behind this article.
"Smart people learn from everything and everyone, average people from their experiences, stupid people already have all the answers." - Socrates

Kcarr
Captain
Captain

Postby Kcarr » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:02 pm

Hottoddies wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:25 pm
Kcarr wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:41 am

O.K. now that I've read the source article I see that you both got it wrong. The article states the chances a top 6 RB comes from a bottom 10 team not the chances a bottom 10 team produces a top 6 RB. I assumed that DJB got his statement straight from the article.

The article states that in the last 7 years 7.1%(3 out of 42) of the top 6 RBs came from bottom 10 teams. So actually there were 3 occasions in the last 7 years that a bottom 10 team had a top 6 RB. That would mean that 42.8%(3 out of 7) of the time in the last 7 years a bottom 10 team produced a top 6 RB.

Regardless of whatever the historical facts are, I think the chances of Barkley being a top producer are pretty good and the chances of him losing value in the eyes of his owners are pretty low. I just wanted to clear up the misunderstandings of the statistics behind this article.
That is what I said in the past post you quoted, though I did just do the math in my head and rounded to 40% rather than 42.8. I agree that Barkley does have a good chance though, and would not say the gian tee s are guaranteed to be a bottom 10 offense though I think they will be in that area.

remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby remedy29 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:43 pm

Why do people think the Giants will be a bottom 10 offense? They have improved their OL and they have Saquan Barkley. That alone will put them in the middle tier of offenses.

Not to mention, the Giants defense stinks. At the least they'll get garbage time stats, but I think they'll be much better than people think.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:07 am

I guess that depends on what people consider a bottom 10 offense - however if it is points scored or total yardage then no the Giants were not a bottom 10 offence last year

I believe they were 16th or 17th in Points scored in 2018.
For total yardage they were 17th overall.
They were 11th overall for passing yardage.
They were however 24th for rushing yardage.

We saw that did not really affect Barkley - what it could affect is how little usage his backup(s) will see if Barkley stays healthy & on the field.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

davieglove34
Role Player
Role Player

What would you trade for Saquon

Postby davieglove34 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:55 am

Hey all-
Just wondering what people think Saquon's current trade value is?
2023 Champion
10-Team, .5-PPR, 1-QB

QB: Josh Allen / Geno Smith

RB: Austin Ekeler / Saquon Barkley / Joe Mixon / Kareem Hunt / Leonard Fournette / D’Onta Foreman

WR: Tyreek Hill / Justin Jefferson / Amari Cooper / Mike Evans / Jaxon Smith-Njigba / Odell Beckham Jr. / Demarcus Robinson / Darius Slayton

TE: George Kittle / Taysom Hill / Noah Fant

D/ST: 49ers

K: Tyler Bass

IR: Kendrick Bourne

Taxi: Zamir White / Cedric Tillman / Sean Tucker

Draft Picks:
2024:
2025:
2026: 1st / 3rd / 3rd

trc
Captain
Captain

Re: What would you trade for Saquon

Postby trc » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:26 am

Still start up 1.01 pick for me - I would consider MT and CMC too at that spot. But noone else.

AlbertaPrime
Role Player
Role Player

Re: What would you trade for Saquon

Postby AlbertaPrime » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:43 am

Was able to acquire Saquon three weeks ago with the following deal:

Gave: Melvin, Corey Davis, Guice, 2020 1st
Received: Saquon

4 nickels for a dollar. Maybe a dime in there somewhere as well, but still, got my guy.
14 Team/Dynasty League (Old School Standard Scoring) - 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1D, 1K
Core Roster Pieces
QB: Dak Prescott, Geno Smith
RB: Josh Jacobs, Alex Mattison, Gus Edwards, Tyler Allgeier, Jaylen Warren, Ken Gainwell
WR: Justin Jefferson, Keenan Allen, Christian Kirk, Puka Nacua, Jayden Reed, Josh Downs, Rashid Shaheed, Pops Douglas, Trey Palmer
TE: Trey McBride, Tyler Kraft