Rojo Value

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: Rojo Value

Postby dynastyninja » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:06 pm

I'm surprised at the lack of sarcastic remarks. They're usually everywhere in RoJo threads.

I was a believer and still am to an extent. I'd pay a 2nd for him. The dream is he gets comfortable and a significant workload in Arians offense.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:11 pm

Ice wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:02 pm
Phaded wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:34 pm
JFever wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:31 pm He is 21. We play dynasty. We don't play redraft.
This community seems to be getting worse and worse with this mentality over time.
Not just regarding RoJo; just regarding young players and patience overall.
Been playing this game for over 30 years so I have tons of patience or am completely crazy.

I thought he was a bust when I scouted him. Just don't think he can play so he was in fact worthless to me from the jump. I admit I miss from time to time on players like we all do but his age or my patience had zero to do with it.
Which is fair if that was your opinion from the get-go of him.
However; there are many people in this community who have pulled a complete 180 on him.
People who did like him now they suddenly hate him, those are the type of people that I am referring to.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:20 pm

Phaded wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:11 pm
Ice wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:02 pm
Phaded wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:34 pm

This community seems to be getting worse and worse with this mentality over time.
Not just regarding RoJo; just regarding young players and patience overall.
Been playing this game for over 30 years so I have tons of patience or am completely crazy.

I thought he was a bust when I scouted him. Just don't think he can play so he was in fact worthless to me from the jump. I admit I miss from time to time on players like we all do but his age or my patience had zero to do with it.
Which is fair if that was your opinion from the get-go of him.
However; there are many people in this community who have pulled a complete 180 on him.
People who did like him now they suddenly hate him, those are the type of people that I am referring to.
I can appreciate that.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:59 pm

Phaded wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:50 pm
ninotoreS wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:45 pm Be advised, Arians has been talking up Peyton Barber. He's been mostly reticent regarding Jones.
He has been talking up both; it depends on what week which one he is going to talk up.

This was from early late February:
Coach Bruce Arians said Wednesday that he's excited to see if Jones can do some of the things with Tampa Bay that David Johnson did in the offensive scheme Arians oversaw during his tenure with the Cardinals, Scott Smith of the Buccaneers' official site reports.
Two points.

One, that particular coachspeak is actually low-key depressing, because if it's true he's already setting up Jones to fail -- pass-catching is one of the primary liabilities in Jones' game right now. Indeed, it suggests Arians is paying so little mind to Jones that he hasn't actually studied him much yet.

Two, that's nothing like the coach-speak he's throwing at Barber.
“After watching him, we have a running back. And we have a big, strong, fast running back.”
“Everything in our offense starts with the running game. We’re known for throwing it down the field, but you can’t throw it down the field if you’re not running the ball. Man, [Barber] is really impressive.”
“And I can honestly say Peyton Barber... I mean, I’ve watched this guy now and I’m like, ‘Whoof!’ He’s so subtle in some of the things he does for a big man.”
“I love him. For a man that size, you know, when you watched the tape, you don’t see him as 230 (pounds). You think he’s a 205-pound running back because he’s got great feet.
"Not every back’s going to be a home-run hitter. He gets those 10-, 15-yard runs breaking tackles, power runner -- punishing runner. When we’re building something, that’s the kind I want to build around.”
I mean: wow. This has gotta be embellished coach-speak to at least some degree, but jeez.

If I've missed coach-speak fluff from Arians remotely this enthusiastic regarding Jones, I'd be grateful if you could show me.

Otherwise, it seems clear Barber has got a big bleep lead over Jones in Arians' mind at this point in time.

And that last quote in particular sure sounds like he's directly snubbing Jones.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

Jason3123
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Jason3123 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:14 pm

Isn't Arians one of the few coaches who actually keeps it real and says true things?

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:26 pm

I was high on RoJo last year and drafted him in a few rookie drafts pretty high... I have some bias for sure, that being said I do think there should be some patience with a guy who entered the league at 20 years old... some guys take longer to develop and figure things out, I remember Davante Adams being labeled a bust at one point. RoJo may never figure it out and I may have just plain whiffed on him, but I think giving him another year is appropriate considering the age and the draft capital spent on him. I wouldn’t sell for a 3rd, but a high second, like the 13th or 14th pick would make me think.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:12 pm

Really can't imagine an RB with poor receiving skills/instincts being the preferred back of Arians.

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:18 pm

Not saying this will or won’t happen for Rojo. But I recall when many vocal personalities on our dlf forums labeled M.Gordon a liability in the passing game because he came out of Wisconsin and hadn’t been used in the passing game much prior to the NFL.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:29 pm

Gordon had fine hands coming out. His rookie issues were route-craft (he had none) and pass-protection.

But you have a point. Another guy that sucked hard as a backfield receiver as a rookie and then made a dramatic year two leap in that area was Tevin Coleman. Shanahan didn't trust Coleman at all as a pass-catcher in 2015. He caught two passes on eleven targets. He was worse than RoJo.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:58 pm

JFever wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:18 pm Not saying this will or won’t happen for Rojo. But I recall when many vocal personalities on our dlf forums labeled M.Gordon a liability in the passing game because he came out of Wisconsin and hadn’t been used in the passing game much prior to the NFL.
I wasn't around here back then but this was a common theme it seemed in many forums. Gordon worked really hard to learn his craft and today is one of the best RB's in the NFL. I do remember knocking him down some due to receiving liability concerns. With RoJo, I have concerns with running the ball.

You point is valid though. Players do get better and surprise annually.

Chubb more recently surprised me with his pass catching ability. I did have a first round grade on him and like him but he was far better in the passing game than I expected. Had I picked that skill set up in evaluations I would have rated him higher. I missed on him in one league as a result.

Fantasy forums are full of closet experts, we all need ego checks once in a while. :D
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:43 am

I feel bad for all you RoJo believers out there. It's like you'll say anything so you don't have to admit to yourself you made a mistake.

He can still be sold for a late 1st in some places, or a high 2nd at least. This could be your last chance to sell. The Bucs could very well draft another RB, and RoJo's value tanks even more.

For what it's worth, I've been calling RoJo the lowest-rated RB since last year March or so? I even said Watkins would do better his rookie year. RoJo will be lucky to still be in this league year 3. Heed my warnings you ding dongs.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:52 am

MEuRaH wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:43 am I feel bad for all you RoJo believers out there. It's like you'll say anything so you don't have to admit to yourself you made a mistake.

He can still be sold for a late 1st in some places, or a high 2nd at least. This could be your last chance to sell. The Bucs could very well draft another RB, and RoJo's value tanks even more.

For what it's worth, I've been calling RoJo the lowest-rated RB since last year March or so? I even said Watkins would do better his rookie year. RoJo will be lucky to still be in this league year 3. Heed my warnings you ding dongs.
Oh, I will definitely admit my mistake, and I do wish I had listened to your loud attempts to get everyone to steer clear. Could have drafted Chubb over him more than once... Hopefully, for me he shows some progress this year, even if it's a low probability.

Servo
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Servo » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:04 am

Yes, we play dynasty. Yes, and it can take years for someone to develop. As of late it just doesn't feel like that's the same for running backs...yes, there have been some great late bloomers but man RoJo was a complete and utter zero.

I imagine most people who drafted for him or traded for him in 2018 (1st or 2nd depending on league type)...aren't going to be trading him for a 3rd or worse.

I'd definitely take him as a trade add-on but for a 2nd round pick? I'd rather draft some new rookie RB today I think.

Valhalla74
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Valhalla74 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:18 am

I was offered Albert Wilson for him, and I just couldn't do it...I would rather wait and see if he does anything with Arians behind the helm. BUT if they draft one of the more talented RB's in this draft, I'd say stick a fork in him for sure...

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:13 am

thebeast wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:52 am
MEuRaH wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:43 am I feel bad for all you RoJo believers out there. It's like you'll say anything so you don't have to admit to yourself you made a mistake.

Oh, I will definitely admit my mistake, and I do wish I had listened to your loud attempts to get everyone to steer clear. Could have drafted Chubb over him more than once... Hopefully, for me he shows some progress this year, even if it's a low probability.
x2. I'm not afraid to admit I made a mistake. It happens. Time will tell. From what we know right now, yes, it was a missed pick. I once drafted Monte Ball too..... argh.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.