Buy/Sell/Hold - 49ers backfield

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: Buy/Sell/Hold - 49ers backfield

Postby ArrylT » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:13 pm

I can only imagine what happens if this backfield gets even more muddy with a draft addition (unlikely as it may be).
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

DLF3000
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby DLF3000 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:11 pm

Forget making sense of this backfield. Suddenly it's one to avoid. Glad I got one good year out of Breida during my 'ship run.
35 Team Dyn PPR, 3 x Copy SF start 2TE Super Prem (TE 2 PPR, 8pt TD), 6 pt/non-TE TD, 1pt/20 yds pass (300 +3pt), 1pt/10 yds rush/rec (100 +3pt)

Start 12: 1QB 1SFLX 2RB 4WR 2TE 2FLX | 30 Active Roster, unlim Taxi, 3 IR/Out (+) | est. '21 | playoffs '21, '22

QB - J Allen, T Lawrence ...
RB - A Ekeler, S Barkley, J Cook, I Pacheco ...
WR - AJ Brown, C Ridley, G Pickens, C Sutton ...
TE - D Njoku, D Knox ...
® 2024 - | 2025 -

DynoScout
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby DynoScout » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:50 pm

Tevin Coleman last three years (Touch/Scrim Yards/Scrim TDs)
149/941/11
183/927/8
199/1076/9

Even in SF, I'll take a shot at 2 more years of this level of production over rookie pick 1.11, and I generally fancy rookie picks/youth.
Even if McKinnon/Brieda can play a discount Devonta Freeman role, I'll live with 5 yards per touch, with two receptions and 60% chance of a TD any given week.
If they can't for whatever reason, then Shannahan is one coach I think could scheme up 210 touches for Coleman in a creative, value- and production-enhancing way. (Not like the unimaginative usage we saw last year after Freeman went down.)

I think I'm a buyer of all RBs in SanFran. I'll buy on the uncertainty/general disappointment, and count on one of them playing their way into being flex-worthy. Maybe not a buy to hang my hat on, but a speculative buy that can round out a contending roster with productive depth.

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:10 pm

DynoScout wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:50 pmI think I'm a buyer of all RBs in SanFran. I'll buy on the uncertainty/general disappointment, and count on one of them playing their way into being flex-worthy. Maybe not a buy to hang my hat on, but a speculative buy that can round out a contending roster with productive depth.
I'm leaning this way. Seems there'll be great value if someone can be the lead back, nevermind bellcow. The price seems low enough.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

Titans95
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Titans95 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:00 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:42 pm
Titans95 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:26 pm
Cameron Giles wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:15 pm

I'd easily take Coleman over the 1.11 in a draft with no depth and limited talent. You're at least getting an RB2 with some RB1 upside against the right matchups. This backfield is a mess, but one thing is clear right now: Tevin Coleman is going to play a lot. They just signed him and he knows the offense.

It's really just a matter of who's gone (or sits) between McKinnon and Breida.
Kyle Shanahan: We need someone to fill the Tevin Coleman role

Lynch: I know the perfect player!

Shanahan: Really who!?

Lynch: Tevin Coleman!

for real though, Coleman is coleman and Mckinnon is Freeman. McKinnon is making twice as much in salary as Coleman is and is the better pass catching back.
LOL. Except McKinnon has not established himself as a better football player than Tevin Coleman.
Why sign McKinnon to one of the larger contracts in the NFL if the coaching staff doesn't BELIEVE he can? Why sign Tevin Coleman nearly 50% discount if he's going to be the lead back? McKinnon will get the first crack and lead back duties and primary receiving work. He may disappoint and Coleman Take over but McKinnon has first shot and opportunity is KING.

Salary doesn't always dictate production but it does give you an insight what the GM is thinking. They could've easily locked in Coleman to a similar contract as McKinnon signed and cut McKinnon if they believed he was their true answer. They didn't. Instead they signed him for Peanuts and Kept McKinnon's large salary. Why would they sign McKinnon to such a good deal if they didn't think he was worth it? Why would they cut him just because of an injury that really isn't all that big of a deal in today's NFL? People soured on McKinnon for absolutely no reason this offseason. No I don't think he'll be a workhorse but I do think he'll be getting 60-70 receptions and 150-200 carries. That alone is high end RB2 territory. Give me that all day long for the price McKinnon is going. I've seen him being traded for 2.02 and later!

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby nathanq42 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:22 am

Titans95 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:00 am

for real though, Coleman is coleman and Mckinnon is Freeman. McKinnon is making twice as much in salary as Coleman is and is the better pass catching back.
LOL. Except McKinnon has not established himself as a better football player than Tevin Coleman.
Why sign McKinnon to one of the larger contracts in the NFL if the coaching staff doesn't BELIEVE he can? Why sign Tevin Coleman nearly 50% discount if he's going to be the lead back? McKinnon will get the first crack and lead back duties and primary receiving work. He may disappoint and Coleman Take over but McKinnon has first shot and opportunity is KING.

Salary doesn't always dictate production but it does give you an insight what the GM is thinking. They could've easily locked in Coleman to a similar contract as McKinnon signed and cut McKinnon if they believed he was their true answer. They didn't. Instead they signed him for Peanuts and Kept McKinnon's large salary. Why would they sign McKinnon to such a good deal if they didn't think he was worth it? Why would they cut him just because of an injury that really isn't all that big of a deal in today's NFL? People soured on McKinnon for absolutely no reason this offseason. No I don't think he'll be a workhorse but I do think he'll be getting 60-70 receptions and 150-200 carries. That alone is high end RB2 territory. Give me that all day long for the price McKinnon is going. I've seen him being traded for 2.02 and later!
I agree with your first point about McKinnon, but if you can get Tevin Coleman and you think he can do better and pay him less I don't see why a GM wouldn't do it.

Obviously they will want to get McKinnon going and they probably do believe in him still, but I don't think Coleman signing a relatively cheap deal has anything to do with who will get the touches.

I think with the offensive weapons SF has both Coleman and McKinnon can get ~280 touches each, similar to Kamara and Ingram both getting ~280 each for the past two years. Who else is there for offensive opportunity? Kittle and ? Pettis? Some rookie? Only wrench is Brieda, but he is on a super cheap rookie deal and why would you give up cheap depth you know can play when called on?
12 Team 1 ppr .1 points per carry
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
TE Dalton Kincaid, Foster Moreau
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:29 am

Why would they do that when they could get him for less money? Why would they sign Coleman if they believed McKinnon was the answer? They clearly want to use both. People soured on McKinnon for a reason. They brought in a RB that further clouds the depth chart, and poses a significant threat to his touches. A RB who has played under the HC and had his best years with him He's still recovering from an ACL, too. He's a year older. Lots of reasons. Last year McKinnon seemed to be at the top of that depth chart, unquestioned. This year he is not. There are plenty of reasons why people aren't as high on McKinnon as they were last year.
Last edited by FantasyFreak on Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:00 pm

Seems clear to me it'll be a camp battle. I doubt any of the three are written in ink atop the chart at this point.

So take your guess, but I don't see much use in arguing contracts and what they might infer. And it's irrational to argue nothing has changed since McKinnon's injury -- since then, Breida broke out and also improved as a pass-catcher, and I doubt Coleman chose to join SF without the potential for a greater role than he had in Atlanta.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

jetsfan5757
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby jetsfan5757 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:05 pm

ninotoreS wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:00 pm Seems clear to me it'll be a camp battle. I doubt any of the three are written in ink atop the chart at this point.

So take your guess, but I don't see much use in arguing contracts and what they might infer. And it's irrational to argue nothing has changed since McKinnon's injury -- since then, Breida broke out and also improved as a pass-catcher, and I doubt Coleman chose to join SF without the potential for a greater role than he had in Atlanta.
Agree with all of this.

None of us know what will happen. Contracts don't give the full picture and stats don't either. I'm not even sure if Shanahan KNOWS who will play or if this will sort itself out in camp.

I like hearing people's thoughts and insights, but anyone who pretends the outcome is obvious is full of it. You might get lucky and it might turn out you guessed correctly, but no knows today...
Dynasty League (25 man rosters + 2 IR, non-PPR scoring. QB/3RB/3WR/2TE/K/DB/LB/DL no flex)

QB (1): Herbert, Lawrence, Darnold
RB (3): N. Chubb, D. Henry, J. Taylor, JK Dobbins, Pollard, Singletary, L. Murray
WR (3): D. Hopkins, D. Adams, M. Evans, D.J. Moore, DJ Chark, B. Aiyuk, J. Smith-Schuster, R Bateman, E. Moore
TE (2): I. Smith Jr, H. Henry, Schultz, Tremble

K (1): M. Crosby

DB (1): J. Adams
LB (1): F. Warner
DL (1): D. Lawrence

PS: I often don't revisit a thread after posting. Send me a message if you ever want further thoughts on a comment I made.

Titans95
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Titans95 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:13 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:29 am

Why would they do that when they could get him for less money? Why would they sign Coleman if they believed McKinnon was the answer? They clearly want to use both. People soured on McKinnon for a reason. They brought in a RB that further clouds the depth chart, and poses a significant threat to his touches. A RB who has played under the HC and had his best years with him He's still recovering from an ACL, too. He's a year older. Lots of reasons. Last year McKinnon seemed to be at the top of that depth chart, unquestioned. This year he is not. There are plenty of reasons why people aren't as high on McKinnon as they were last year.
They signed Coleman because their backfield was a mess last season, I doubt they wanted to run that risk again if McKinnon was injured. Anyone who thought McKinnon was going to be a bell cow last season was kidding themselves and anyone who thinks he will be 3rd on the depth chart this season are kidding themselves. Like I said, 60-70 receptions and 150-200 carries. That's ALOT of touches still left unaccounted for which Coleman could very well gobble up. Breida is easily the odd mad out here if you ask me.

Titans95
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Titans95 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:15 pm

ninotoreS wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:00 pm Seems clear to me it'll be a camp battle. I doubt any of the three are written in ink atop the chart at this point.

It's a dicey situation that's worth discussing, if everyone just chalked it up to a camp battle and decided it wasn't worth discussing then this thread would be pointless....

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:09 pm

I only specified two points of argument that I don't think are valid. I didn't say there's no room for other discussion.

For example, it would be useful to examine and discuss what each player does and does not do well according to the tape.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE