Todd Gurley to bust in 2019?

General discussion and team advice concerning Redraft & Keeper leagues.
FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Todd Gurley to bust in 2019?

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:18 pm

Cult of Dionysus wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:01 pm We will look back at all these statements from Gurley, his trainer and the Rams and laugh someday (likely around early October).
Yep. When he's a top 5 RB in early October, it will all seem rather silly. :wink:
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

GridironGuerilla
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby GridironGuerilla » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:19 pm

:clap:
FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:18 pm
Cult of Dionysus wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:01 pm We will look back at all these statements from Gurley, his trainer and the Rams and laugh someday (likely around early October).
Yep. When he's a top 5 RB in early October, it will all seem rather silly. :wink:
"If on 4th down, the quarterback doesn't complete his pass, they will turn over the ball."

-Booger McFarlland

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:51 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:10 pmSpeculation over Todd Gurley's left knee injury, which hampered him down the stretch of the 2018 season, does not trouble the running back. As Gurley told reporters Tuesday, he's dealt with much worse before.

"I had bigger problems to worry about coming out of college," Gurley said Tuesday at the start of Rams mandatory minicamp. "This is small."
This is the same player that said his playing time was reduced in the playoffs because he was playing poorly and was not hurt.
I think we can probably write-off anything out of Gurley's mouth regarding his health until he shows he is credible and/or honest about it.

FantasyDumDum
Role Player
Role Player

Postby FantasyDumDum » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:54 pm

Yeah Gurley is a proven liar on this subject. So is McVay. It is probably safer to believe the exact opposite of what they say, rather than take these guys at their word. Fool me once...
10 team, .5ppr, 1QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/1Flex

QB: Brees, Cousins
RB: CMC, D Williams, Drake, Guice, Penny, RoJo, Breida, I Smith, Edmonds
WR: AB, ARob, Ridley, Jeffery, Shepard, Pettis, Miller, Washington, MVS, Callaway
TE: Kelce, Herndon, Andrews

Taxi Squad:

Picks:
2019 1.10, 2.10, 3.10, 4.10
2020 1, 2, 3, 4

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:50 pm

Here's what I'm getting out of this thread, in a nutshell.

Side A: "He's done for, bad knee, only going to get worse."

Side B:"The team says it's overblown, he's going to be fine, but they are taking precautions to make sure he's fresh all year round."

Side A: "They are liars, therefor he's done for, bad knee, only going to get worse."

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:48 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:50 pm Here's what I'm getting out of this thread, in a nutshell.

Side B:"The team says it's overblown, he's going to be fine, but they are taking precautions to make sure he's fresh all year round."

Side A: "They are liars, therefor he's done for, bad knee, only going to get worse."
Something something Henderson hall of fame something something

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:17 am

It all depends on your definition of bust. Will he be a 350+ point RB anymore? Likely not. Will he still be a solid, useable fantasy RB for the next couple years? His contract nearly insures it, barring his leg falling off.

RBs with massive workoads don't sustain for long. If a reduction prolongs his usefulness, fine by me. I've already rode him to a few titles now.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco Stidham
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Sutton, Downs, Mims, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.06

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:59 am

Orenthal Shames wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:17 am It all depends on your definition of bust. Will he be a 350+ point RB anymore? Likely not. Will he still be a solid, useable fantasy RB for the next couple years? His contract nearly insures it, barring his leg falling off.

RBs with massive workoads don't sustain for long. If a reduction prolongs his usefulness, fine by me. I've already rode him to a few titles now.
According to the forums, his leg already fell off.

UATahoe
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby UATahoe » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:18 am

People have completely lost context with all of the Gurley stuff floating around. I agree with the above. If you are expecting a 300 point plus year, then yea i think you will be disappointed. But Gurley is still going to be a RB1 in my opinion by seasons end and at worse a high end Rb2.
12 Team PPR League 1Qb 2Rb 3Wr 1Flex 1Te 1Def 1K

1 QB Mahomes, Dak Prescott
2 RB Mixon, Kamara, Melvin Gordon, Nick Chubb, Royce Freeman, Justice Hill, Boston Scott, Ito Smith
3 WR Godwin, K. Allen, A. Cooper, S. Watkins, DJ Moore, Michael Gallup, Kelvin Harmon, Martavis Bryant, Core Coleman(IR) Preston Williams(IR)
1 TE Mark Andrews, H. Henry, H. Hurst, Ian Thomas, Goedert
D/ST Bears
K Zane Gonzalez

blemly
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby blemly » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:22 am

Jigga94 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:48 am
FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:50 pm Here's what I'm getting out of this thread, in a nutshell.

/thread
Team 1: 12-team SF 0.5 PPR:
QB: Dak, Russ, Stafford, Geno, Dalton
RB: Harris, Gibson, Chubb, Cohen
WR: DK, Ridley, Kirk, Chark, Woods, C Samuel, Shepard, Reagor
TE: Fant, Knox
Team 2: 14-team PPR SF TEP:
QB: Wilson, Burrow, Geno, Foles
RB: Mixon, Gibson, Hines, Cohen, Pollard
WR: DJM, Cooper, Sutton, Deebo, R. Moore, ARSB, Eskridge, Renfrow
TE: Gesicki, Njoku, Arnold
Team 3: 12-team PPR SF:
QB: Watson, Lawrence, Winston, Cam
RB: Harris, Ekeler, Dobbins
WR: Hill, AJB, Woods, Chark, Lockett
TE: Gesicki, OJH, Firkser
Team 4: 12-team SF TEP Devy
QB: Wilson, Geno, Ryan, Cousins
RB: Zeke, Chubb, Sanders, Pollard, Hines, Cohen, Henderson
WR: Cooper, Godwin, Sutton, JuJu, Samuel, Fuller, Shepard, Campbell
TE: Fant, Gesicki, Ertz, Freiermuth
Devy: Boutte, Young, Slovis, Harris
Team 5: 12-team PPR SF:
QB: Dak, Lance, Jones, Cam
RB: Swift, Sanders, Dobbins, Pollard
WR: Sutton, DJM, Golladay, Chase, Pittman, Kirk, Campbell, Mims, Wallace
TE: Herndon, Gesicki, Freiermuth

GridironGuerilla
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby GridironGuerilla » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:57 pm

Jigga94 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:48 am

I've been thinking this all thread long haha.
"If on 4th down, the quarterback doesn't complete his pass, they will turn over the ball."

-Booger McFarlland

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:08 pm

Forgive me if this has already been posted, haven't gone through the whole thread.

1. Gurley misses time to nurse his knee towards the end of the year and is vastly outperformed by career journeyman CJ Anderson.
2. LAR match Detroits offer sheet for backup RB Malcolm Brown
3. TMZ video shows up of Gurley limping around town months after the season, despite no off-season surgery.
4. Rams move up to draft Darrell Henderson in the 3rd.
5. Reports that they plan to limit Gurley's workload this upcoming season surface.
6. Gurley is performing specialized OTA's to limit wear on his body (This should be a major red flag, seeing as OTAs shouldn't be measurably taxing on his knees)
7. Gurley announces he's going to play at a lighter weight this year (which is the first action perscribed to someone dealing with arthritis in a weight bearing joint.)

Actions speak louder than words, and everything LAR have done up to this point, leads me to believe that Gurley's knee is a problem.

He'll likely shoot up his knee with painkiller before every game, so it's not like he will fall off the face of the earth this season. But his days as a workhorse are very likely over, and things are only going to get worse from year.

I'd be looking to unload him sometime in the beginning of the season, after his first big game, when the hype of this all being overblown will be a tide pushing his stock back to the moon.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:30 pm

IZigUZag wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:08 pm

Forgive me if this has already been posted, haven't gone through the whole thread.

1. Gurley misses time to nurse his knee towards the end of the year and is vastly outperformed by career journeyman CJ Anderson.
2. LAR match Detroits offer sheet for backup RB Malcolm Brown
3. TMZ video shows up of Gurley limping around town months after the season, despite no off-season surgery.
4. Rams move up to draft Darrell Henderson in the 3rd.
5. Reports that they plan to limit Gurley's workload this upcoming season surface.
6. Gurley is performing specialized OTA's to limit wear on his body (This should be a major red flag, seeing as OTAs shouldn't be measurably taxing on his knees)
7. Gurley announces he's going to play at a lighter weight this year (which is the first action perscribed to someone dealing with arthritis in a weight bearing joint.)

Actions speak louder than words, and everything LAR have done up to this point, leads me to believe that Gurley's knee is a problem.

He'll likely shoot up his knee with painkiller before every game, so it's not like he will fall off the face of the earth this season. But his days as a workhorse are very likely over, and things are only going to get worse from year.

I'd be looking to unload him sometime in the beginning of the season, after his first big game, when the hype of this all being overblown will be a tide pushing his stock back to the moon.
You can believe what you want. The Rams were not keeping CJA, and had John Kelly on their roster other than Gurley. Matching Brown's offer sheet is not a big deal at all. He's a quality back up, and they needed that. Henderson is a good player, and the Rams realized they needed more than 1 RB to get to the SB and win. It's obvious they realized they can't give Gurley that workload over a 19-20 game season. People are weaving their own narrative with these supposed actions. Number 6. What do you know of OTA's and being an NFL running back? It's pure speculation and coming from (no offense) somebody who really doesn't know much about any of this stuff. Neither do I. We play fantasy football. People tend to act like doctors, trainers etc. We don't sh@t about this stuff.

Trading up has to do with value in most cases. Chances are the Rams had a 2nd round grade on Henderson, so it was worth it when he was still there at 70 to make a move for him. Since they still needed another RB, as they seem to have moved on from John Kelly, it makes sense, as they only had Gurley and Brown.

You're entitled to your opinion, but you and others are weaving a narrative with selective information and also a lack of information. My point is there are a group of people who refuse to see it any other way, and are convinced due to their great detective work scouring the internet that Gurley is done for. I am on the other side. I have looked at both sides. I actually started buying Gurley. I believe it's overblown. I want to make that clear. I only started investing in Gurley after the knee thing came on. I had no shares of Gurley until all of this started happening in the media, FF message boards etc. I am not some sour Gurley owner in "denial" about something.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:46 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:30 pm
You can believe what you want. The Rams were not keeping CJA, and had John Kelly on their roster other than Gurley. Matching Brown's offer sheet is not a big deal at all. He's a quality back up, and they needed that. Henderson is a good player, and the Rams realized they needed more than 1 RB to get to the SB and win. It's obvious they realized they can't give Gurley that workload over a 19-20 game season. People are weaving their own narrative with these supposed actions. Number 6. What do you know of OTA's and being an NFL running back? It's pure speculation and coming from (no offense) somebody who really doesn't know much about any of this stuff. Neither do I. We play fantasy football. People tend to act like doctors, trainers etc. We don't sh@t about this stuff.

You're entitled to your opinion, but you and others are weaving a narrative with selective information and also a lack of information. My point is there are a group of people who refuse to see it any other way, and are convinced due to their great detective work scouring the internet that Gurley is done for. I am on the other side. I have looked at both sides. I actually started buying Gurley. I believe it's overblown.
Any one of these things by themselves can be easily explained away; but taken in summation it creates sufficient circumstantial evidence (in my mind) that there is indeed something wrong with his knee. How bad is it? That is up to interpretation based on what we actually know at this present point in time. But generally speaking, where there's smoke there's fire. I'm not optimistic for his future, but I'll admit that the chance he maintains his status as an elite RB for the next few years is non-zero.

But I'm not advocating to avoid Gurley, entirely. The optimal play is to acquire him on the cheap and sell him after his first big game.

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:47 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:50 pm
People tend to act like doctors, trainers etc. We don't sh@t about this stuff.

I act like one for a living and still don't know sh@t about it. I don't specialize in radiology or orthopedic surgery, so unlike most, I stay in my lane.
Last edited by Orenthal Shames on Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:01 am, edited 4 times in total.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco Stidham
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Sutton, Downs, Mims, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.06