2019 NFL combine predictions/talk thread

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Re: 2019 NFL combine predictions/talk thread

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:38 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:37 pm The list of WRs with a 7.3 or worse in 3 cone is pretty bad. Steve Smith and Anquan Boldin are the saving grace.

http://nflcombineresults.com/nflcombine ... R&college=
True, but not a lot of those guys were DK's size and ran/jumped the way he did. Calvin Johnson didn't do the 3 cone, wisely, but I suspect his would have been lousy, too.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:39 am

Factory of Sadness wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:32 pm I hear Harry can't parallel park and takes 0.2 seconds more than the combine average to tie the laces on his right shoe. He's clearly a bum.
I am enjoying the guessing game at the moment of who is actually an idiot and who is doing down guys they want to take in drafts. My money is on 90% + are straight lying right now.
I have no idea. I didn't see the drills, just what I read on NFL.com. Guy wrote that Harry's combine actually hurt him despite the 40/vert, he looked so bad on the field.

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:15 am

viewtopic.php?f=145&t=162567&start=15#p1495538
dawgs4life wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:56 pm
dawgDYNASTY wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:54 pm Thoughts on D.K metcalf? Guy seems to have all the raw talent in the world. But the lack of production, especially between the 20s, has to be concerning. I wish i saw a little more seperation as well for someone who is supposed to be this athletic physical freak. Am i missing something here besides the acrobatic catches?
Metcalf to me is Treadwell 2.0. The WR landscape is slowing changing and will require more work for Devy evaluators in the future. We can no longer assume that a 6-4 220 WR is an automatic higher value than a 6-0 210 WR. Guys like Metcalf come out of high school highly ranked because they are men among boys and put up huge numbers. When they get to college and lack the production a huge red flag. There have been tons of them from DBG, Treadwell, Derunnya Wilson, Jon Baldwin, Auden Tate this year , and soon to be coming Juwan Johnson, are just a few recently.
Metcalfs NFL value will all hinge on his speed times and can he separate like Treadwell coming out. Maybe you get Kelvin Benjamin or maybe you get worse if they lack the quickness and speed. It was the same debate this year over Courtland Sutton.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

KingsKing
Captain
Captain

Postby KingsKing » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:22 am

Sometimes i think you guys are just trolling with some of the stuff you say, Harry measured 6'3 228 , had a 38.5 inch vert, 10'2 broad jump, 4.5 40 yard and the most reps on the bench at his position all the while being led footed and sluggish lol , he looked great out there, the only questions about him are his speed and seperation. Speed question was answered today and seperation is more about learning how to run better routes than anything else. Guy has an insane work ethic and i have no doubt he will become a better route runner at the next level , he is already the best contested ball catcher in the draft, with his size and vertical/hands all he needs is the right type of qb and he is gonna be a stud .

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:00 am

KingsKing wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:22 am Sometimes i think you guys are just trolling with some of the stuff you say, Harry measured 6'3 228 , had a 38.5 inch vert, 10'2 broad jump, 4.5 40 yard and the most reps on the bench at his position all the while being led footed and sluggish lol , he looked great out there, the only questions about him are his speed and seperation. Speed question was answered today and seperation is more about learning how to run better routes than anything else. Guy has an insane work ethic and i have no doubt he will become a better route runner at the next level , he is already the best contested ball catcher in the draft, with his size and vertical/hands all he needs is the right type of qb and he is gonna be a stud .
Then draft him. I was only going by the NFL.com article, personally.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... lf-is-rare

No trolling here. Right there. Only one guys opinion, but Bucky Brooks did more in professional football analysis than you or I. I personally think he could be good or just a red zone guy. He really failed to separate in college, and looked sluggish at times. There were also times he looked really good. He's already a jump ball guy. If he learns to run routes, he could be a really good X receiver. I think he could be a lesser Dez Bryant in his prime. That's been my comp the entire time based on play style, athleticism and lack of polished route running/separating ability.

Kcarr
Captain
Captain

Postby Kcarr » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:18 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:22 pm
Kcarr wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:58 pm Certainly a month before the draft in 2017 there was at best a shaky consensus and even after the draft there were those who would argue mixon, cook, or Davis ahead of fournette and I don't recall that being such a terrible draft
Uh, Fournette was the 1.01 in that class for a long time. Dalvin Cook was projected in the Top 5 for a while. Corey Davis was expected to go high in that class too after he returned for his senior year. Of the players you mentioned, only Mixon was someone who was a riser. For the most part, that draft didn't have any surprises in order.

This draft hasn't had any order since the 1st game of last season. It may or may not be a bad thing depending on how you perceive it, but usually in the best classes there's always been more immediate knowledge of how things will shake out well in advance. Hell, I remember at one point we were talking about AJ Brown as the 1.01. It's just all over the place and as someone said, it may be the most situation-dependent draft in quite some time.

If Metcalf gets drafted by the Ravens, is he still the 1.01? I don't see it.
It is good to hear fournette was such a consensus 1.01 at this point. I would have thought that the people pushing cook up to a higher average ADP according to this sites rankings in February 2017 would have had some doubts as to that. Those who then pushed Davis up to a higher ADP than fournette in rookie mocks in April must have been really confused.

Now I will give you that in mfl drafts fournette did maintain the best rookie draft ADP from April on through the offseason but most month that was an ADP of around 1.5 meaning he was going g 2nd or later pretty often. One ciild at least, though, argue that there was some sort of loose consensus after the draft though though it was far from locked in with everyone agreeing
4th and long: ppr, 10 team, qb, rb, rb, wr, wr, wr, flex, flex, te, k, dl, dl, lb, lb, db, db, dflex, dflex

QB: Kirk Cousins Tyrod Taylor, Jared Goff
RB: Melvin Gordon, Ezekiel Elliot, Theo Riddick, D'Onta Foreman, James Conner, Jamal Williams
WR: Alshon Jeffrey, Amari Cooper, Sammy Watkins, Keenan Allen, Jordan Matthews, Cole Beasley, Robby Anderson, Corey Davis, Breshad Perriman, Eli Rogers
TE: Eric Ebron, , David Njoku, Jack Doyle
K: Will Lutz
DL: Frank Clark, Danielle Hunter
LB: Luke Kuechley, Bobby Wagner, Jordan Hicks, Mark Barron, Darron Lee
DB: Sean Davis, Morgan Burnett,

IR: Clayton Geathers, Quincy Enunwa, Raekwon McMillan

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:04 am

If Myles Boykin can learn the fine details of being a WR he would be scary. But history suggests that is unlikely.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:15 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:38 am
Cameron Giles wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:37 pm The list of WRs with a 7.3 or worse in 3 cone is pretty bad. Steve Smith and Anquan Boldin are the saving grace.

True, but not a lot of those guys were DK's size and ran/jumped the way he did. Calvin Johnson didn't do the 3 cone, wisely, but I suspect his would have been lousy, too.
Sure, but that's not really the point. His 3 cone and shuttle aren't just bad, they're nearly historically bad. It basically indicates no change of direction, quick twitch, and explains why he's not good at getting out his break or running routes. Can he adjust to the ball quickly? Probably not. I actually think people are underselling this a lot because they're blinded by a straight line test. Speed is not the reason great receivers are great.

You should go back and watch Megatron. He definitely wasn't a stiff when it came to those things. And, if he's the only thing we can point to, then you're basically hoping that Metcalf is an anomaly.

Tvols
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tvols » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:19 am

KingsKing wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:22 am Sometimes i think you guys are just trolling with some of the stuff you say, Harry measured 6'3 228 , had a 38.5 inch vert, 10'2 broad jump, 4.5 40 yard and the most reps on the bench at his position all the while being led footed and sluggish lol , he looked great out there, the only questions about him are his speed and seperation. Speed question was answered today and seperation is more about learning how to run better routes than anything else. Guy has an insane work ethic and i have no doubt he will become a better route runner at the next level , he is already the best contested ball catcher in the draft, with his size and vertical/hands all he needs is the right type of qb and he is gonna be a stud .
He maybe a great player but man he looked like dodo in mist of the drill.. sloth like even
16 teamer
QB T Law, R Wilson
rb- Mixon,pollard, J Hill, conner,
WR-Chase,Lamb,T Hill, R Bateman, C sutton, boyd
Te Kelce, Waller, Fant,Evertt,
1qb,2-3rb,3-5wr,1-2 TE
Full IDP

Team 2 recent rod 16 team SF/TEP(2pt PPR) 1-2 QB, 2-3 RB, 3-5 wrs and 1-2 TE full IDP.
QB A rod, M willis and H Hooker
rb not squat T Bigsby, Chris R, Z evans. J kelly, C patterson, and J mcluaghlin.
WRs chase, J Addison, T McLaurin, C ridgley , A Losivas, M hollins
TE Kelce, D Belligner, T Conklin

Tvols
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tvols » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:21 am

What was Harry and A.J. brown 3 cone anyone got that
16 teamer
QB T Law, R Wilson
1qb,2-3rb,3-5wr,1-2 TE
Full IDP

Team 2 recent rod 16 team SF/TEP(2pt PPR) 1-2 QB, 2-3 RB, 3-5 wrs and 1-2 TE full IDP.
rb not squat T Bigsby, Chris R, Z evans. J kelly, C patterson, and J mcluaghlin.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:25 am

I think they skipped it?

I am happy I have no high 1sts; I do not love anyone so far this year.

Tvols
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tvols » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:33 am

The gauntlet drill Metcalf looked smooth and caught well but Harry has all over the place tripping almost over his own feet.. if that the way he plays fine but he is awkward at best ..brown is looking more appealing ..
16 teamer
QB T Law, R Wilson
1qb,2-3rb,3-5wr,1-2 TE
Full IDP

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:12 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:15 am
FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:38 am

Sure, but that's not really the point. His 3 cone and shuttle aren't just bad, they're nearly historically bad. It basically indicates no change of direction, quick twitch, and explains why he's not good at getting out his break or running routes. Can he adjust to the ball quickly? Probably not. I actually think people are underselling this a lot because they're blinded by a straight line test. Speed is not the reason great receivers are great.

You should go back and watch Megatron. He definitely wasn't a stiff when it came to those things. And, if he's the only thing we can point to, then you're basically hoping that Metcalf is an anomaly.
A 3 cone drill really isn't all that for a stand up an X WR.
Trying to determine if a WR will bust or be great based on this one drill is a MASSIVE REACH.

Metcalf is a monster with the skill set to dominate at the next level. The tape doesn't lie. He can beat Press Coverage easily and he closes the gap so fast in off coverage when he breaks off a route he is open.

His catch radius and ability to pluck the ball out of the air is elite. He should race up draft boards of NFL teams. Obviously like every player he has things to work on but in reality he has so many skills you can't teach coaches will be salivating to improve his technique.

He is bigger stronger faster than Julio with longer arms and bigger hands. Julio wasn't a polished route runner coming out and also was somewhat of a body catcher.

He is clearly the top WR Prospect in this draft. Obviously every player is labeled a prospect for a reason but anyone hanging their hat on the least important drill for a X WR with his size to speed ratios might want to really rethink that drill. Like the drill for RB's and lineman but for a WR it doesn't mean much at all.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:22 am

I have no idea how you can be so confident about a player who did so little in college.

Even the very limited tape on Metcalf is underwhelming. Some NFL team is going to reach like teams always do and only end up regretting it, like they often do.

He is a great athlete but looks mediocre as a receiver; we have seen this story dozens of times when players get overdrafted due to the combine and not being a great player.

He also needs to add some body fat; otherwise he will not be seeing the field often and will always be hurt.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:34 am

Ice wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:12 am A 3 cone drill really isn't all that for a stand up an X WR.
Trying to determine if a WR will bust or be great based on this one drill is a MASSIVE REACH.

Metcalf is a monster with the skill set to dominate at the next level. The tape doesn't lie. He can beat Press Coverage easily and he closes the gap so fast in off coverage when he breaks off a route he is open.

His catch radius and ability to pluck the ball out of the air is elite. He should race up draft boards of NFL teams. Obviously like every player he has things to work on but in reality he has so many skills you can't teach coaches will be salivating to improve his technique.

He is bigger stronger faster than Julio with longer arms and bigger hands. Julio wasn't a polished route runner coming out and also was somewhat of a body catcher.

He is clearly the top WR Prospect in this draft. Obviously every player is labeled a prospect for a reason but anyone hanging their hat on the least important drill for a X WR with his size to speed ratios might want to really rethink that drill. Like the drill for RB's and lineman but for a WR it doesn't mean much at all.
Metcalf didn't even dominate at the college level and his route tree is incredibly limited. If the route requires Metcalf to stop/start, adjust, or change direction, he looks bad doing it.

The 3-cone drill is a great measurement of those qualities in a WR and it tells you about the upside they have as a route runner. Granted, you have to adjust expectations for players of differing size. A 6'4 guy isn't going to run it like a 5'9-5'10 guy unless he's a freak of nature. But, Metcalf didn't even run great for a guy with his size/frame.

Who are the best X receivers in the league and how did they do in the 3-cone?

Julio Jones - 6.66
Odell Beckham - 6.69
AJ Green - 6.91
Michael Thomas - 6.80
Antonio Brown - 6.98
Mike Evans - 7.08 (this is the number Metcalf would've been fine reaching)
DaVante adams - 6.82
Larry Fitzgerald - 6.94

He's not Julio Jones.

If you're telling me that a 7.38 is "fine" for an X receiver, then you're not being honest. The pre-combine selling point on Metcalf is that he's a freak of nature in the Julio Jones category. And, to be fair he is a freak athlete. He's strong, fast as hell, explosive and has a big catch radius.

But, there's nothing else outside of that. Now, this isn't to say he's going to suck. He could end up becoming a really good vertical threat and a redzone nightmare given his speed and strength. But, if you look at ceiling and the top X receivers in the league, they've all developed into good route runners at the least. And, Metcalf's games and agility drills suggest he doesn't have that same type of ability.