My top-10 WRs in the 2019 class (pre-combine)

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
MichaelScarn
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: My top-10 WRs in the 2019 class (pre-combine)

Postby MichaelScarn » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:31 am

The more and more I look into these receivers the more excited I get. With the way most leagues rookie draft going RB heavy there's going to be a ton of value at the end of the 1st and all throughout the 2nd round.
10 Team SuperFlex PPR
QB: Herbert/Cousins/Fitz/Z Wilson
RB: Barkley/Dobbins/Gibson/Dillon/Etienne/Edmonds/Michel/Lindsay/Kelley/T Jones/Evans/Hyde
WR: Robinson/Moore/Sutton/Boyd/Gallup/Slayton/Harry//R Moore/Eskridge/A St. Brown/Collins
TE: Goedert/Thomas/Njoku/Pitts

10 Team Standard
QB: Herbert/Hurts
RB: A Jones/Sanders/Akers/Hunt/Fournette/McKissic/Snell
WR: Hill/Hopkins/Evans/JuJu/Thielen/Parker/Shenault/Hamler/Edwards/D Smith/E Moore
TE: Fant/Goedert/Ertz/Howard

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:09 pm

toss wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:31 am The more and more I look into these receivers the more excited I get. With the way most leagues rookie draft going RB heavy there's going to be a ton of value at the end of the 1st and all throughout the 2nd round.
Dread it. Run from it. Rookie fever arrives.

This is why i love this forum. Lots of varying perspectives.

The more I dig into the WRs, the less impressed I've become.Lots of old breakouts and non-elite market shares.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco Stidham
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Sutton, Downs, Mims, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.06

JDogil12
Starter
Starter

Postby JDogil12 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:19 pm

Orenthal Shames wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:09 pm
toss wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:31 am The more and more I look into these receivers the more excited I get. With the way most leagues rookie draft going RB heavy there's going to be a ton of value at the end of the 1st and all throughout the 2nd round.

The more I dig into the WRs, the less impressed I've become.Lots of old breakouts and non-elite market shares.
The MS is what scares me about Metcalf. I swear he has the highest ceiling of these receivers but the production was just nowhere. Breakout age isnt too bad though

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:00 pm

JDogil12 wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:19 pm
Orenthal Shames wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:09 pm

The MS is what scares me about Metcalf. I swear he has the highest ceiling of these receivers but the production was just nowhere. Breakout age isnt too bad though
Agree. The poor BA list is larger:

Hakeem Butler
Deebo Samuel
Anthony Johnson
Riley Ridley
Emanuel Hall
Marquise Brown
Penny Hart
Paris Campbell
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco Stidham
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Sutton, Downs, Mims, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.06

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:17 pm

Orenthal Shames wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:09 pm The more I dig into the WRs, the less impressed I've become.Lots of old breakouts and non-elite market shares.
I'm back to going the other way. I'm really excited by the potential of these WR's this year, and there are some sneaky RB's and TE's too. I see a lot of playmakers!

My pre-combine excitement based rankings based on yesterdays watching:

1. DK Metcalf
2. N'Keal Harry
3. Hakeem Butler
------
4. Marquise Brown
5. AJ Brown
------
6. Kelvin Harmon
7. Deebo Samuel
8. JJ Arcega-Whiteside
9. Riley Ridley
10. Andy Isabella

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:28 pm

mild wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:17 pm
Orenthal Shames wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:09 pm The more I dig into the WRs, the less impressed I've become.Lots of old breakouts and non-elite market shares.
I'm back to going the other way. I'm really excited by the potential of these WR's this year, and there are some sneaky RB's and TE's too. I see a lot of playmakers!

My pre-combine excitement based rankings based on yesterdays watching:

1. DK Metcalf
2. N'Keal Harry
3. Hakeem Butler
------
4. Marquise Brown
5. AJ Brown
------
6. Kelvin Harmon
7. Deebo Samuel
8. JJ Arcega-Whiteside
9. Riley Ridley
10. Andy Isabella
Hey Mild, can you describe the love for Butler? I have my thoughts, just want to hear yours

MichaelScarn
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby MichaelScarn » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:44 pm

I'm not WR starved or anything in my main league, quite the opposite, I just like the thought of getting one of these top tier guys at pick 9 just knowing how my league drafts RBs.
10 Team SuperFlex PPR
RB: Barkley/Dobbins/Gibson/Dillon/Etienne/Edmonds/Michel/Lindsay/Kelley/T Jones/Evans/Hyde
WR: Robinson/Moore/Sutton/Boyd/Gallup/Slayton/Harry//R Moore/Eskridge/A St. Brown/Collins

10 Team Standard
WR: Hill/Hopkins/Evans/JuJu/Thielen/Parker/Shenault/Hamler/Edwards/D Smith/E Moore

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:15 am

Jigga94 wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:28 pm Hey Mild, can you describe the love for Butler? I have my thoughts, just want to hear yours
For sure man, always happy to share. (I'm always listening when you're talking too)

I see a physical receiver who attacks at the high point, and battles hard through contact. He uses his hands, as opposed to Harmon - who dropped the most for me after watching, whom I saw almost exclusively catching over his shoulder using his body. (Harmon also appeared to be wide open for the majority of his catches - nothing wrong with that, perhaps he will still be that open in the NFL, or perhaps not)

The rumours of Butlers measurables makes me think that he might be one of the more freakishly athletic guys in the draft - something I will always gravitate to. I'm always willing to gamble on a freakish athlete working it out - especially when I see the contested catching skills, and the ability to both fight off defenders and to run away from them. You're ultimately looking for a guy who can translate to the next level, when all the margins of separation get smaller. I'm confident that Butler's skillset will translate to the NFL level, and I will roll the dice on athletic freaks with RAC skills, as I believe the league is trending that way with offenses manufacturing more and more yardage with quick screens / end arounds.

Short version: he a beast!

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:57 am

Thanks man, I'm really high on him too. Like you said, the freakish athlete just shows with him. I'm not sure if he's just bullying college defenders though. He makes contested catches but can he do the same thing in the NFL vs. a press or a physical corner? He does show good YAC which is something the bigger WR lack once they get into the NFL. I think that decreases obviously, but by how much? A good landing spot could easily put him in the top 3.

Haven't watched much tape yet on everyone, but he is a freak... We've never had a 6'6 WR play that well in the NFL though (right?). Maybe they list him at 6'5 not to jinx him. I'll be watching his combine very closely and am curious who drafts him

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:58 am

You had me with the cat in a space suit - the rest was just icing on the cake. :geek: ;)
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

MichaelScarn
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby MichaelScarn » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:32 am

Those highlights were spicy
10 Team SuperFlex PPR

10 Team Standard

IBall2
All Pro
All Pro

Postby IBall2 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:03 am

ugh I wanted Butler to fall to me at the end of the 1st round and now people are starting to build up his hype. Not sure he'll be available at 1.09.

JoshGordonsDealer
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby JoshGordonsDealer » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:38 am

Don't sleep on Parris Campbell. The one season he played with an actual QB, he was incredible. JT was a great leader and athlete, but not a good passer.

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:47 pm

mild wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:15 am
Jigga94 wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:28 pm Hey Mild, can you describe the love for Butler? I have my thoughts, just want to hear yours
For sure man, always happy to share. (I'm always listening when you're talking too)

I see a physical receiver who attacks at the high point, and battles hard through contact. He uses his hands, as opposed to Harmon - who dropped the most for me after watching, whom I saw almost exclusively catching over his shoulder using his body. (Harmon also appeared to be wide open for the majority of his catches - nothing wrong with that, perhaps he will still be that open in the NFL, or perhaps not)

The rumours of Butlers measurables makes me think that he might be one of the more freakishly athletic guys in the draft - something I will always gravitate to. I'm always willing to gamble on a freakish athlete working it out - especially when I see the contested catching skills, and the ability to both fight off defenders and to run away from them. You're ultimately looking for a guy who can translate to the next level, when all the margins of separation get smaller. I'm confident that Butler's skillset will translate to the NFL level, and I will roll the dice on athletic freaks with RAC skills, as I believe the league is trending that way with offenses manufacturing more and more yardage with quick screens / end arounds.

Short version: he a beast!
My gosh that’s an impressive highlight video. That one where he makes an insane man catch and then grabs the DB and whips him to the ground... that was sexy.
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:24 pm

Jigga94 wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:57 am Thanks man, I'm really high on him too. Like you said, the freakish athlete just shows with him. I'm not sure if he's just bullying college defenders though. He makes contested catches but can he do the same thing in the NFL vs. a press or a physical corner?

Haven't watched much tape yet on everyone, but he is a freak... We've never had a 6'6 WR play that well in the NFL though (right?). Maybe they list him at 6'5 not to jinx him. I'll be watching his combine very closely and am curious who drafts him
You've got the big question right there. Courtland Sutton is another huge WR who catches really well with his hands and won a lot of contested catches in college. Were they contested because he lacked separation? I'll be watching Butler's combine closely, and I agree that landing spot will be crucial - if it's a QB that can't leverage semi-open windows and the jump ball then it'll probably all be for nought.

The 6'6 thing... semantics. Calvin Johnson and Mike Evans are both closer to 6'6 than I suspect they'd like to admit... so long as the body is proportional to itself, I'm ok with it. We've seen some absolute freaks emerging in the NBA in recent years who possess true agility at 7' - Giannis, AD, etc. Lebron is 6'6, hence that cheeky title on the Hakeem Butler video "Same build as Lebron?! Lebron at WR?!". I'm sure we'll hear plenty of such madness going forward - but hyperbole aside, I'm definitely intrigued, I will look forward to seeing where he lands.
IBall2 wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:03 am ugh I wanted Butler to fall to me at the end of the 1st round and now people are starting to build up his hype. Not sure he'll be available at 1.09.
If only the hype machine hadn't gotten started you might have made it another 3 months to the NFL draft and then the additional month to your own draft! :D
ArrylT wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:58 am You had me with the cat in a space suit - the rest was just icing on the cake. :geek: ;)
Thanks, happy to help, it's meow pleasure.