Damien Williams - convince me

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Damien Williams - convince me

Postby Phaded » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:19 pm

When a coach says "it's a matter of production and doing it" and "take it one game at a time" -- that's not exactly a "ringing endorsement". Not once did Reid actually talk about the skillset that Williams has or anything of that nature, other than there is a challenge to this role and he is taking the challenge. He did not even say he is doing a good job of it. I'm not sure how people are taking this quote as some high praise. It is a bunch of fluff without saying anything relevant.

Sure, Damien Williams is the full-time starter now.. until he isn't.
All it takes is a bad performance or two (which is completely feasible with his talent level) early in the season to consider a change of pace, or the dreaded 'hot hand' approach that fantasy owners hate.

Damien Williams is the starter right now; what else is Andy Reid going to say?
If he doesn't perform, then all bets are off. That is basically what Reid is saying.

The biggest thing in his favour right now is there is not a major threat in that backfield to his workload, yet.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:50 pm

ninotoreS wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:09 pm
IZigUZag wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:38 pm Interesting that's your take away from this. I read it more as a ringing endorsement that he believes he's the best running back on this roster.
I totally think he's saying that. However, today's roster doesn't include the rookie they might draft next year, perhaps someone more highly regarded than a 6th round scatback that Veach wanted less than this guy.
Oh, for sure. I'm just saying that this statement means nothing in regards to who the future RB for the KC chief will be in 2020.

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:08 pm

Like I said, I'm just wondering about the choice of phrasing. He could've just said "he's our full-time starter", period. Maybe it means something, maybe it doesn't.
Phaded wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:19 pm When a coach says "it's a matter of production and doing it" and "take it one game at a time" -- that's not exactly a "ringing endorsement". Not once did Reid actually talk about the skillset that Williams has or anything of that nature, other than there is a challenge to this role and he is taking the challenge. He did not even say he is doing a good job of it. I'm not sure how people are taking this quote as some high praise. It is a bunch of fluff without saying anything relevant.
"Full time starter" ostensibly means Reid doesn't envision him coming off the field often. So the statement is very relevant, of course.

As for performance, obviously a player who doesn't perform will lose snaps.

Regardless, Reid, Bieniemy, and Veach's assessment of Damien has already been abundantly made clear through last season's usage (i.e. the playoff games), statements to the press, and off-season actions.

It seems to me like Reid, Bieniemy, and Veach could come together before the press and sing a song in unison with the lyrics "Damien Williams will be our feature-back to start the year and we have confidence he'll excel in that role" and some people would still contort their minds to question what they're saying.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:28 am

Does Reid need to say he's doing a good job? There's tape from last season that says more than enough.

WhatWouldDitkaDo
GOAT
GOAT

Postby WhatWouldDitkaDo » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:48 am

Badkins1121 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:30 pm I’ve decided to hold at this point. I finally got some ok offers but not quite enough to change my mind...

Get: Kittle and Latavius Murray
Give: Damien, Boyd, Jaylen Samuels
That's crazy cheap for Kittle, and I like Williams a lot. I'd accept that very quickly.
Kittles Pox | Championships: 2015, 2017
12-Team PPR | QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DST
QB: Kyler Murray, Aaron Rodgers
RB: Christian McCaffrey, Melvin Gordon, James Conner, Phillip Lindsay, Tevin Coleman, Boston Scott, Benny Snell Jr.
WR: Tyreek Hill, Mike Evans, Cooper Kupp, Michael Gallup, Christian Kirk
TE: George Kittle, Travis Kelce | K: Younghoe Koo | DST: SF
PS: Mecole Hardman, Tony Pollard | 2020 Picks: 1.09, 2.10, 3.03 | 2021 Picks: 1st, 2nd

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:54 am

50 pages on this guy. Wow. I think the arguments on either side have been exhausted for a while. We really need some football.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:15 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:54 am 50 pages on this guy. Wow. I think the arguments on either side have been exhausted for a while. We really need some football.
Same goes for the Tyreek Hill and multiple Gurley/Henderson threads
Attachments
WTDnnwE.gif
WTDnnwE.gif (129.04 KiB) Viewed 396 times
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco Stidham
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Sutton, Downs, Mims, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.06

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:23 pm

They say in small town communities that a major event will be talked about ad nauseum afterwords for weeks if not months. If we were to consider the DLF Forums a small community (our population probably resembles a small town in size) the events around Gurley, Williams, Hunt & Hill would be considered major.

Certainly not disagreeing that we have spent plenty of threads/time discussing these players - but that is a correlation (imho) to how valuable the potential change or non-change will have on most dynasty leagues. Obviously if these issues had happened to Malcolm Brown, Dontrell Hilliard &/or Demarcus Robinson there would be much less chatter, because no one really cares in a small town if you stub your toe, but if you happen to be seen sneaking around with the pastors wife ....
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:58 pm

ArrylT wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:23 pm If you happen to be seen sneaking around with the pastors wife ....
Wait, wait, wait... What'd you see? Who you been talking to?
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco Stidham
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Sutton, Downs, Mims, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.06

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:09 pm

WhatWouldDitkaDo wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:48 am
Badkins1121 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:30 pm I’ve decided to hold at this point. I finally got some ok offers but not quite enough to change my mind...

Get: Kittle and Latavius Murray
Give: Damien, Boyd, Jaylen Samuels
That's crazy cheap for Kittle, and I like Williams a lot. I'd accept that very quickly.
x2

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:08 pm

Moreso than Williams, I wonder if y'all are undervaluing Boyd. This isn't a Boyd thread, though, so nevermind.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

FantasyDumDum
Role Player
Role Player

If Damien is a jag, then Hunt is a practice squad player

Postby FantasyDumDum » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:12 am

Just a few comparative numbers from the players as starters last year in KC.

Yards created per carry:
D Williams 1.67
Hunt 1.57

YPC against stacked boxes:
D Williams 6.6[elite tier]
Hunt 2.3

TDs:
D Williams 1.67/game[elite tier]
Hunt 0.9/game

DYAR:
D Williams 26.3 per game[elite tier]
Hunt 11.9 per game

DVOA:
D Williams 26.5%[elite tier]
Hunt 8.7%

Fantasy points per touch(0.5 PPR):
D Williams 1.35[elite tier]
K Hunt 0.99
[ even as a Dolphin D Williams was much better than Hunt as a Chief, averaging 1.19 points per touch]

Fantasy points per game(0.5ppr):
D Williams 22.9(including 2 games where he only played 1/2)[elite tier]
Hunt 19.7(played entirety of all 11 games)

Playoff output:
2018 D Williams(2 Games)
35 carries, 159 yards, 2 TDs
10 receptions, 91 yards, 2 TDs
2017 Hunt(1 Game)
11 carries, 42 yards, 1 TD
3 receptions, 5 yards, 0TD

D Williams absolutely carried the entire KC team on his back in the playoffs. His stats are above, and they are pretty much equal to the ENTIRE rest of his offensive squad in the playoffs COMBINED, including Mahomes, Tyreek, Kelce, Watkins, Ware, other D Williams:
10 carries, 52 yards, 3 TDs
33 receptions, 411 yards, 1 TD

If Mahomes hadn’t grossly overthrown a wide open Williams in the end zone against NE then he would have had his 4th TD of the game and the Chiefs would have been in the SB.

Compare that to Hunt in 2017, with his above pedestrian numbers, and the Chiefs losing to the lowly Titans in the playoffs.

One last point, to show Williams’ worth overall, is that he is a much, MUCH better pass blocker than Hunt. In fact, D Williams led the league in pass blocking metrics for an RB last year, allowing 0 pressures on a whopping 22 opportunities over his small sample size(whopping because many RBs aren’t even asked to pick up that many times over an entire season). That is “[elite tier]” as well. Hunt came into the league majorly struggling at pass blocking, but improved to an acceptable level, although would/will likely never be at the elite level that D Williams is at now.

[elite tier] equals roughly top 5 RBs in the NFL or better

So I have to ask, if people really believe D Williams is a journeyman/JAG, then 1) is Hunt basically worse than a journeyman/JAG in the league? Or 2) is that just a lazy and stupid way to label a player like D Williams?
10 team, .5ppr, 1QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/1Flex

QB: Brees, Cousins
RB: CMC, D Williams, Drake, Guice, Penny, RoJo, Breida, I Smith, Edmonds
WR: AB, ARob, Ridley, Jeffery, Shepard, Pettis, Miller, Washington, MVS, Callaway
TE: Kelce, Herndon, Andrews

Taxi Squad:

Picks:
2019 1.10, 2.10, 3.10, 4.10
2020 1, 2, 3, 4

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: If Damien is a jag, then Hunt is a practice squad player

Postby killer_of_giants » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:26 am

FantasyDumDum wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:12 am [ even as a Dolphin D Williams was much better than Hunt as a Chief, averaging 1.19 points per touch]
given he had a higher ratio of receptions to carries than hunt, that's hardly surprising giving the 0.5 ppr format.
low volume backs have also generally better stats than workhorses.

FantasyDumDum wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:12 amCompare that to Hunt in 2017, with his above pedestrian numbers, and the Chiefs losing to the lowly Titans in the playoffs.
pretty sure that has nothing to do with who the quarterback was...

FantasyDumDum wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:12 amOne last point, to show Williams’ worth overall, is that he is a much, MUCH better pass blocker than Hunt.
meh. he's no frank gore.

last but not least, he's started 3 games for the chiefs, that's what all your stats are based on.

still a jag. try harder.

hockeyBjj
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby hockeyBjj » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:33 am

Sample sizes. How do they work?
Team 1- 10 team ppr, 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flx, 1D, 1K
2022: 1-8
Finishes: 6th, 6th, 1st, 5th, 6th, 9th
QB: Lamar Jackson, Purdy
RB: Bijan, Dobbins, Achane, Charbonnet, Algier, McBride, waiver trash
WR: JSN, QJ, Addison, Dotson, Skyy Moore, Jameson Williams, Hyatt, T Dell, Boutte, Skowronek, Quez Watkins, Greg Dortch, waiver trash
TE: Hockenson, F Monroe, Juwan, Musgrave
D/K: Patriots, Vikings, Saints, Dicker

picks-
2024- 1,1,1,1,2,2,2,3,3,4,5,5
2025 1,1,1,2,3,4,5

team 2- 12 team SF, .5PPR, .5TE boost, 1QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex
2022: 8-1
Finishes: 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd :wall:
QB: Ljax, GenoD Jones, Minshew, Dobbs
RB: CMC, Stevenson, A Jones, Chubb, A Mattison, D cook, Perine, Mckinnon,
WR:Tyreek, Diggs, C Kupp, D Adams, Keenan Allen, Lockett, Gallup, A Lazard, Hodgins
TE: Kelce, LaPorta, Irv Smith,
No picks until 2026 5th rounder lol

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:36 am

I don't really think either guy is that special. It's the situation.