Should top seeds get a bonus in the playoffs?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Should top seeds get a bonus in the playoffs?

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:55 am

I know some leagues give a home-field advantage. What I'm thinking is whether it would be a good idea to award a pointbonus to higher playoff seeds, to reward them for their regular season performances.

As an example, if you have six teams in the playoffs, seeds 3 and 4 each would each get a 5 point bonus in their match-ups with seeds 6 and 5, respectively. Then in the semi-finals, seeds 1 and 2 would each have a 5 point bonus in their match-ups. My gut tells me that this concept should not extend this concept to the final, but it easily could.

The premise of course is that top seeds have earned, probably deserve some form of advantage, especially versus the wild card seeds. Fantasy match-ups are extremely unpredictable from week to week, and it sucks to see a top team lose to a fledgling team who gets hot at the right moment (unless your team is the one who gets hot).

Anyway, just wanted to throw this out there to generate some discussion and debate.

:thumbup:

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Should top seeds get a bonus in the playoffs?

Postby skip » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:03 am

I don't care for the idea of adding any points but if contemplating something like this, why are you using something arbitrary like seeding?

Basic scenario:. Suppose I'm in a league that uses divisions and I finish second in mine with both a W-L record and "points for" better than that of the divisional winner who ended up as the #2 seed. He/She already benefited from divisional alignment that earned a bye, you're also awarding points to them in our matchup if I face that team in the second round game? I don't see how that could be fair.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

timtebow420
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby timtebow420 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:34 am

That's a hard no for me. Getting a bye is good enough. Any given sunday is part of the H2H format, if you don't like that then switch your format I'd say.

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:29 am

Top seed should get a first round bye, or some form of financial compensation for their performance over the first 12 or 13 weeks. If you give neither of those, then sure, as i strongly believe the regular season should provide something beyond just removing teams that can't even finish in the top half of a league (or worse).

My preference in order for league structure would be:
1. First Round Bye for top two seeds
2. Financial payment to top seed
3. 'Home Field Advantage'

WhatWouldDitkaDo
GOAT
GOAT

Postby WhatWouldDitkaDo » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:31 am

timtebow420 wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:34 am That's a hard no for me. Getting a bye is good enough. Any given sunday is part of the H2H format, if you don't like that then switch your format I'd say.
x2
Kittles Pox | Championships: 2015, 2017
12-Team PPR | QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DST
QB: Kyler Murray, Aaron Rodgers
RB: Christian McCaffrey, Melvin Gordon, James Conner, Phillip Lindsay, Tevin Coleman, Boston Scott, Benny Snell Jr.
WR: Tyreek Hill, Mike Evans, Cooper Kupp, Michael Gallup, Christian Kirk
TE: George Kittle, Travis Kelce | K: Younghoe Koo | DST: SF
PS: Mecole Hardman, Tony Pollard | 2020 Picks: 1.09, 2.10, 3.03 | 2021 Picks: 1st, 2nd

RB6
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby RB6 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:21 am

Absolutely not. Frankly, I think this is an absurd idea and would raise all sorts of hell if it was propositioned in my leagues.
.5PPR 1Q/3W/2R/1T/1SF/2F
LJax, Burrow, Carr, Huntley, Heinicke, Cunningham
Adams, Kupp, Deebo, M Brown, Kirk, Wiliams, C Samuel, Palmer, E. Moore, Hodgins, Hutchinson
CMC, Barkley, Mostert, Ford, Moss, Dobbins, Dillon, Kelley, Tucker
Andrews, Higbee

PPR 1Q/3W/2R/1T/1SF/2F
Mahomes, Purdy, Dalton, Henicke, Trask, Zappe
Henry, Pacheco, Robinson, Wilson, Ford, Chandler, Deuce
Hill, Kupp, Shaheed, Toney, Lazard, Metchie, Mingo, Slayton, Shenault, Atwell, Hutchinson
Pitts, Waller, Washington

PPR Best Ball Dynasty SF .5TEP
Stroud, Cousins, Willis, Mariota, Cunningham
Walker, J Cook, Miller, Zamir, Rodriguez, Carter, Penny
St. Brown, Aiyuk, DJ Moore, London, Doubs, Metchie, Scott, Claypool
Kincaid, Dulcich, Fant, Turner, Hurst

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:02 am

Teams shouldn't get any advantage in a H2H. It's fantasy football. Variance is what makes it fun.

Servo
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Servo » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:13 am

The biggest advantage we've given our #1 is just like the NFL:

- Round 1 Bye
- Round 2 Play the Lowest Available Seed

Unfortunately for our #1 this year he ended up playing the #4, who lost Hunt and some injuries that hurt his team late in the season but had the most PF with guys like Gurley, Juju, MT, etc.

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:35 am

Servo wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:13 am The biggest advantage we've given our #1 is just like the NFL:

- Round 1 Bye
I can accept an argument along the lines of "the variance of FF is what makes it fun". This argument doesn't ring right to me because the higher seeds in the NFL DO get advantages aside from the bye- they get home field advantage. If anything, this idea is an attempt to keep it more true to the NFL, down to providing no points edge for the championship game, just like a neutral field Super Bowl.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:41 am

So you want to make the best teams better? The advantage is having a team that earned the top seed.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:53 am

Pullo Vision wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:35 am this idea is an attempt to keep it more true to the NFL
So then would you propose setting home and away teams all season and give a similar advantage? Otherwise the logic really doesn't hold.

Also this idea of being true to the NFL. The fantasy game isn't the same and we shouldn't make it so. If you want to take that approach then go back to strictly TD only leagues. No one wants that...

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:34 am

skip wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:53 am
Pullo Vision wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:35 am this idea is an attempt to keep it more true to the NFL
So then would you propose setting home and away teams all season and give a similar advantage? Otherwise the logic really doesn't hold.
Yes, that's something that could be done in the regular season. It obviously would be independent of seeding.

If you want to make it even more NFL-like, consistently strong teams (repeat playoff appearances, champ game appearances, and division winners) would give bigger home field bonuses. Home teams in divisional games would get more bonuses than home teams hosting non divisional opponents.

I don't know of a way to automate that, and the value of this scheme could easily be outweighed by having to do everything manually.
Also this idea of being true to the NFL. The fantasy game isn't the same and we shouldn't make it so. If you want to take that approach then go back to strictly TD only leagues. No one wants that...
Your first point would be an interesting discussion, but the 2nd point seems like overstating the position for effect.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:26 pm

Pullo Vision wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:35 am
Servo wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:13 am The biggest advantage we've given our #1 is just like the NFL:

- Round 1 Bye
I can accept an argument along the lines of "the variance of FF is what makes it fun". This argument doesn't ring right to me because the higher seeds in the NFL DO get advantages aside from the bye- they get home field advantage. If anything, this idea is an attempt to keep it more true to the NFL, down to providing no points edge for the championship game, just like a neutral field Super Bowl.
Exactly. This is a step in that direction, where 7-9 teams occasionally get a division title and a home game, and have a distinct advantage over teams who have a better record and must fly all the way across the country to play in the Pacific Northwest in one of the most hostile stadiums in the NFL and a running back who was an absolute beast.

:biggrin:

I totally understand however that the concept is not for everyone. I was once also vehemently opposed to the concept of bonuses, especially in the regular season. However, I could see it now for the wildcard matchups and the conference championships.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:46 pm

Pullo Vision wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:34 am
skip wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:53 am
Yes, that's something that could be done in the regular season. It obviously would be independent of seeding.

If you want to make it even more NFL-like, consistently strong teams (repeat playoff appearances, champ game appearances, and division winners) would give bigger home field bonuses. Home teams in divisional games would get more bonuses than home teams hosting non divisional opponents.

I don't know of a way to automate that, and the value of this scheme could easily be outweighed by having to do everything manually.
Your first point would be an interesting discussion, but the 2nd point seems like overstating the position for effect.
Because I'm 100% opposed to the idea of "home field advantage" in fantasy. You're either going for an NFL like model or you aren't. I'm not going to support giving points to a team arbitrarily.

BTK
Rookie
Rookie

Postby BTK » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:04 pm

Stupidest rule ever. This is FF, not real football. The home field advantage is for betting and doesn't translate to fantasy. No NFL scoreboards starts out 3-0. The players already have a real built in advantage when they play at home and are in your fantasy lineup.