The Real Zay Jones thread..

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
jaykay22
Starter
Starter

Did Zay Jones have us all fooled?!

Postby jaykay22 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:34 pm

Figured we had plenty "Is it time to worry about...X player edition" threads, so I went with a different, equally alarmist thread title.

But what is the deal with Zay Jones? He has looked absolutely terrible. Seems to have issues separating, completely not on the same page as Taylor most of the time, a lot of bad drops, and an absolutely ugly catch ratio on his targets so far (I'll be the first to suggest catch ratio is often overblown, but when someone has only caught 7 of 32 targets for 83 yards in nearly half a season yikes!).

Did the Bills scouts and the entire fantasy community get fooled by him and his meteoric rise in the pre-draft process when he seemed to do everything right, combine included? ECU runs a stat machine of an offense so in no way was I expecting him to take the league by storm, but he just looks lost out there. The most concerning aspect of his rookie year has been the fact his hands were one of, if not his most often lauded strength coming into the NFL, and even there he's been terrible.

Personally I think he's a hold as there's no way you can even get anything of any sort of value for him with how terrible his rookie start has been, but curious of others thoughts?
#FreeCoreyDavis

DJB
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: Did Zay Jones have us all fooled?!

Postby DJB » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:42 pm

Zay Jones has second most uncatchable targets in the nfl behind john brown at 46.2% of targets being uncatchable.

His Senior Bowl tape is outstanding
Follow me on Twitter @NickDynastyff

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:10 pm

His college tape was not impressive at all. Major reach. If anything, his combine should have been a major red flag because he didn't play up to his measurables at all.

As for catchable targets, his catch rate on the throws that are catchable is still terrible.
Last edited by Dynasty DeLorean on Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:14 pm

His college film didn't really impress me, but I still expected him to put up Robert Woods type production. This rookie season has been crazy disappointing
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

flashgordon12
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby flashgordon12 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:44 pm

Yeah he didn't look great in college to me and didn't face great competition. I would still buy low if you can because there's always a chance, but taking him over players like Engram I always thought was a bug reach
Flash in the Pan: 12 team PPR (1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1 RB/WR/TE, 1DEF) 25 man rosters

QB- Andrew Luck, Josh Allen
RB- MGIII, Mixon, Cohen, Devonta Freeman
WR- AB, Odell Beckham Jr., Josh Gordon, Tyler Boyd, Marqise Lee, Sutton, MVS
TE- Gronk, Higbee
DEF- Denver

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:56 pm

I think he fooled the Bills, who fooled us by drafting him so early.

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:25 pm

Did he ever look #good?
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco Stidham
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Downs, Mims, Douglas, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.08, 1.14

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:49 pm

Are you saying that a WR who was never that talented and skilled, isn't that talented and skilled so far as a rookie? I'm shocked, I tell you.

Granted, Jones has a ridiculous number of uncatchable targets and isn't in a great situation in Buffalo. So, if you're a believer in him, time should be given for development. But, it was known in college that he struggles beating press. Also, while you shouldn't uniform scout, East Carolina runs an offensive system that is known to bloat raw production. Justin Hardy broke the record that Zay Jones later broke playing for the same thing.

I would bet that people flocked to Jones because Buffalo has no WR's and they saw a chance for a lot of targets. Stop chasing situation.

ColdZealDonkeyStrike
MVP
MVP

Postby ColdZealDonkeyStrike » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:56 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:49 pm Also, while you shouldn't uniform scout, East Carolina runs an offensive system that is known to bloat raw production. Justin Hardy broke the record that Zay Jones later broke playing for the same thing.
That was the big thing for me. After taking Hardy in the 3rd of every draft, ZJ was a stay away in the 2nd for me. Take out his raw numbers and there was not much to back up where the bills took him.
Dynasty player since 2002.
I probably should have done something more productive with that time...

BigBawseRoss
GOAT
GOAT

Postby BigBawseRoss » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:24 am

apparently. dude stinks. color me fooled. wish i took juju
team 1
12 team, 1 pt for 4 rec, 0.1 per rush
1qb, 3 rb, 4 wr, te, k, 4 idp
Dak , Herbert
Achane, Breece Hall, KW3Kyren,Ford, Miller, Spiller, z evans, singletary
J Jefferson, Diggs, DK, D Smith Puka, C Watson, E Moore
Njoku , HH, Engram

2024 picks
1,3,4,5,5,6,7 (all late mostly)

team 2
12 team .5ppr
qb, 2 rb, 2 wr, te, flx,flx,
Fields, Dak
Ford,Mixon, Javonte, Mostert, Chubb, Spears
Hopkins, Evans, g Wilson Mingo, shaheed, Jamo
Kelce,McBride, Chig,

team 3
14 team sf, even scoring idp to offense (rb scores highly too)
Josh Allen, A Rich, Foles, Rudolph
Bijan, Charbs, Spears, Ebner
J Williams, G Wilson, C Watson, Flowers, J Addison, Tillman
Kincaid, Kolar, Ruckert, Fergeson

Kenny Clark, josh allen, jaelen phillips, felix a-u and a bunch of fluff and rookie fliers at idp

Pet_Smith
Starter
Starter

Postby Pet_Smith » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:10 am

Only saw limited film of him, but every catch I saw he caught with his chest. Wasn't impressed, so didn't invest any stock in him, but haven;t spent any time watching him this year so far either.

But - he's still in his rookie season. WR's typically need until year 3 to break out - need to have a little more patience with him until we pass judgement!
Dynasty - 9th year, 12-team, Standard scoring, 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2FLEX, 1K, 1DE/DT, 1LB, 1CB/S - 25man roster / 6 Taxi Squad
'17 Champ, '18 Runner Up, '23 rebuild

QB Watson, A Richardson, O' Connel (TS)
RB Gibbs, Akers, Dillon Carter, Bigsby, Chase Brown, Mcintosh, Tucker, Hull (TS)
WR Metcalf, DJ Moore, Addison, Meyers, Van Jefferson, Collins, Claypool, Mingo (TS), Hyatt (TS), Wilson (TS)
TE Higbee, Freirmuth, Otton (TS)
K Joseph
DE/DT Hunter
LB Franklin Simmons
C/S James

1.01, 1.04

bsp27
Role Player
Role Player

Postby bsp27 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:21 pm

His late breakout age and low ypr revealed he was a college compiler, like Kevin White
Superflex tight-end premium team:
Qb: Kyler Murray, Dak Presscott, Sam Darnold,
Rb: Derrick Henry, Latavius Murray, Darrell Henderson, Dexter Williams, Brian Hill
Wr: Chris Godwin, Stefon Diggs, Courtland Sutton, DK Metcalf, AJ Brown, Andy Isabella, JJ Arcega-Whiteside, Tre'Quan Smith, Daesean Hamilton, Josh Reynolds, Trey Quin, Snead,
Te: TJ Hockensen, Gesicki, Hurst

1 2020 first, 1 2020 2nd, 1 2020 3rd, 1 2020 4th

Devy superflex
Qb: Cousins, Prescott, Lamar Jackson
Rb: Marlon Mack, Tevin Coleman, Rex Burkhead,, Mcguire, Edwards
Wr: Antonio Brown, Amari Cooper, Kenny Golladay, Will Fuller, Tre'quan Smith, John Brown, Carlos Henderson, Josh Malone, Ryan Switzer, Taywan Taylor, Leonte Carroo, Antonio Callaway
Te: David Njoku, O.J. Howard, Mark Andrews,

devy: Deondre Francois, Cam Akers, Bryce Love, Myles Gaskin, Sewo Olonilua, Jalen Reagor, Peoples-Jones, Noah Fant

Dookmarriot
MVP
MVP

Postby Dookmarriot » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:58 pm

Well more fool me, since I liked him and now own him in half my leagues. I thought he was good enough athlete and was in a potentially solid situation in a pretty average WR class.

Nothing to do but hold and hope the game comes to him. I'm not going to just drop him since he's started slowly. He may never get it, but there really is a tendency to write off any player who doesn't step out and dominate since OBJ.

It's not just Zay, though. Been a grim three years for WRs drafted in the first two days. Now the book isn't written yet, but whether due to injuries or ineffectiveness, who hasn't been a disappointment? Thomas? Cooper?
"I like reading the predictions of the morons on here and cashing in by doing the opposite. Especially Dookmariot." - Lotto4Life

"Because of (the Raiders), there's the no-clothesline rule, the no-hitting-out-of-bounds rule, the no-fumbling-forward-in-the-last-two-minutes rule, the no-throwing-helmets rule and the no-Stickum rule. So you see, we're not all bad." - Ted "The Mad Stork" Hendricks

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:20 pm

He didn't run routes past 5 yards. Situation plus an NFL team investing an early pick on him had ppl twisted.

Plank
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Plank » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:58 pm

At least we know with the opportunity, so many times we don't find out for years ..
@PlankMelody