Thoughts On Mariota??

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
ShipShape
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Re: Thoughts On Mariota??

Postby ShipShape » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:02 pm

Blueboy wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:43 pm The Titans are currently a perfect storm of terrible offensive performance. There's no one spot to blame, but every single piece seems to be failing. The O-line is a revolving door -- after the Ravens got up on an early 14-0 lead over Tennessee last week the team started blitzing heavy and often. I saw more Cover 0 that game than I can recall seeing in any recent time, and Mariota was completely unable to take advantage of it.

His throws were mostly errant, poor and late, but it's also worth noting that he got sacked eleven bleepin' times. That's more sacks than the Titans allowed in every other game of the season combined... and more sacks than Mariota had passes completed. Sacks are partially a QB stat too, and a few were on Mariota, but I'll be damned if that wasn't one of the worst O-line performances I've seen this year. Mariota's total inability to stretch the field (he's also got nerve damage in his arm which seems very serious) allowed Ravens safeties to play close to the line of scrimmage without any fear, so Henry and Lewis ran into brick walls on just about every play. Corey Davis looks fine for what it's worth, but he's not playing like a transcendent talent or elevating anyone around him. Not that it's reasonable to expect him to be doing such things, obviously. With every single focal point of the offense having collapsed, I think it's just about impossible to evaluate any of the talent here. I certainly don't have the eye to see through this complete haze of incompetence and tell which players would look great in a better situation. I wish I were staying away from the whole thing, but I've got a share or two of Mariota and Davis.

TL;DR: The O-line neuters the passing game, the lack of a passing game lets the defense stack against the run game, and the run game's inability to take off stymies the passing game, and etc and etc...
Very well said IMO. In my startup I intentionally hitched my wagon to what at the time seemed like teams that were trending up with young, talented players in key positions.....Carr & Amari, Mariotta, Davis & Henry, things sure change fast in the NFL. Anyway, because of the investment, I've paid very close attention to the Titans and you really hit the nail on the head. It's just everything. Here's a BR article that just came out that sort of sums it all up.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/280 ... went-wrong
16 Team, PPR, IDP (2 LB, 2 DL, 2 DB), Startup 2017
QB: Jalen Hurts, Derek Carr, Jameis Winston/Andy Dalton, Skylar Thompson
WR: AJ. Brown, Rashod Bateman, Amari Cooper, Keenan Allen, Skyy Moore, Quez Watkins, Josh Palmer
RB: Jonathan Taylor, Alvin Kamara, James Robinson, Isiah Pacheco, Boston Scott, Latavius Murray
TE: Evan Engram, Trey McBride, Jonnu Smith, Kylen Granson, Cade Otton

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:23 pm

Every time I consider the buy low approach my head tells me that I was never a big fan and that he hasn’t done anything in over a year to remotely excite you. He’s not a great passer and he’s not even gaining the rush yards. He’s also prone to getting dinged up or injured all together. I want to go against the grain...but I legitimately worry about his outlook.

Easy Breesy
Captain
Captain

Postby Easy Breesy » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:30 pm

FiremanEd wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:23 pm Every time I consider the buy low approach my head tells me that I was never a big fan and that he hasn’t done anything in over a year to remotely excite you. He’s not a great passer and he’s not even gaining the rush yards. He’s also prone to getting dinged up or injured all together. I want to go against the grain...but I legitimately worry about his outlook.
I am hoping hes gonna flourish since hes still young but like many mentiones it seens like everything is going wrong and hes been getting worse I still believe in him I just dont know if I believe in the Titans as of rn. I wanna trade for mariota which is why I made this post but im not sure
16 team Tiered PPR league, TE Premium, 52 man roster, 2 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1W/R, 1TE/W, Full IDP
QB- Russ, Justin Herbert
RB- Antonio Gibson Ty Johnson, David Johnson Lat Murray
WR- Davante Adams, Allen Robinson, DJ Moore, Cordarelle Patterson,
TE- Hockeson, , Jonnu Smith, Firkser, Logan Thomas

jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jenkins.math » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:34 am

As a Titans fan that follows the team closely, Mariota looks broken. I went back and watched his college film and he was used to throwing into huge windows in that Oregon offense. There were very few NFL tight windows that he was fitting the ball into in college. He looks like he doesnt trust his arm at all (or doesnt have the arm) to throw into those windows. He had guys open by NFL standards on over half of the sacks he took vs the Ravens, but didnt let the ball go. He is struggling mightily with just about every part of his game. Add the constant injuries he has had over his entire NFL career and it looks bad.

Something else to consider is that this GM and front office didnt draft him. Most front offices get to pick their QB before they get fired. So I think you may see the Titans grab a guy this year in the draft to try and develop.

All that to say, unless he has a major turnaround, I think its 50/50 at best that he is even a starting QB in the NFL 2 years from now. If you're thinking of buying low, it better be really low.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:59 am

Both Alex Smith and Dak Prescott have had QB1 seasons - something to keep in mind. If you do not believe in Mariota but can buy low, because the other owner no longer believes or is panicing it may still work out in your favor long-term - even if his upside is QB2 with situational QB1 production. I only happen to own one share - as I preferred Winston to Mariota in my 2015 rookie drafts where I felt a need to draft QB - but I do own him on an orphan and I can easily be patient holding onto him while the rest of the foundation of the roster is built.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

BigBawseRoss
GOAT
GOAT

Postby BigBawseRoss » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:42 am

he bad
team 1
12 team, 1 pt for 4 rec, 0.1 per rush
1qb, 3 rb, 4 wr, te, k, 4 idp
Dak , Herbert
Achane, Breece Hall, KW3Kyren,Ford, Miller, Spiller, z evans, singletary
J Jefferson, Diggs, DK, D Smith Puka, C Watson, E Moore
Njoku , HH, Engram

2024 picks
1,3,4,5,5,6,7 (all late mostly)

team 2
12 team .5ppr
qb, 2 rb, 2 wr, te, flx,flx,
Fields, Dak
Ford,Mixon, Javonte, Mostert, Chubb, Spears
Hopkins, Evans, g Wilson Mingo, shaheed, Jamo
Kelce,McBride, Chig,

team 3
14 team sf, even scoring idp to offense (rb scores highly too)
Josh Allen, A Rich, Foles, Rudolph
Bijan, Charbs, Spears, Ebner
J Williams, G Wilson, C Watson, Flowers, J Addison, Tillman
Kincaid, Kolar, Ruckert, Fergeson

Kenny Clark, josh allen, jaelen phillips, felix a-u and a bunch of fluff and rookie fliers at idp

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:41 am

Bumping now that the season is over. What do you guys think?
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Downs, Mims, Douglas, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.08, 1.14, 2nd x2

WhatWouldDitkaDo
GOAT
GOAT

Postby WhatWouldDitkaDo » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:50 am

Orenthal Shames wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:41 am Bumping now that the season is over. What do you guys think?
Tannehill levels of I'm done. Not sure I'd even pay a late 1st for Mariota in superflex at this point.
Kittles Pox | Championships: 2015, 2017
12-Team PPR | QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DST
QB: Kyler Murray, Aaron Rodgers
RB: Christian McCaffrey, Melvin Gordon, James Conner, Phillip Lindsay, Tevin Coleman, Boston Scott, Benny Snell Jr.
WR: Tyreek Hill, Mike Evans, Cooper Kupp, Michael Gallup, Christian Kirk
TE: George Kittle, Travis Kelce | K: Younghoe Koo | DST: SF
PS: Mecole Hardman, Tony Pollard | 2020 Picks: 1.09, 2.10, 3.03 | 2021 Picks: 1st, 2nd

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:53 am

WhatWouldDitkaDo wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:50 am
Orenthal Shames wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:41 am Bumping now that the season is over. What do you guys think?
Tannehill levels of I'm done. Not sure I'd even pay a late 1st for Mariota in superflex at this point.
Got a trade offer in my inbox and he's a part of it. Admittedly haven't watched any Titans games outside of some Henry/Lewis tape this year, so was curious to those more informed.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Downs, Mims, Douglas, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.08, 1.14, 2nd x2

Johnny Canuck
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Johnny Canuck » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:57 am

He'd be a great back up, but doesn't seem like he'd be a consistently good starter in this league. I guess if you can buy ultra low he'd be worth it, but I highly doubt he ever comes close to the ceiling most envisioned when he was drafted.

Worth a mid 2nd in SF (because almost every starting QB is worth at least a 2nd in SF), but he's waiver wire fodder in a 1QB.

It's just a shame that guys like Davis are tied to him. I'm not a Davis fan in the slightest, but who knows what he could be if he went to a better situation. He's obvs not a Hopkins type that can do it without a QB, but maybe he would of been a Michael Thomas type if he went somewhere with a great QB...anyways, that's another topic entirely.

After Mariota's struggles this yr, and the late season success of Henry, I anticipate that all Titans will attempt to play "old school" football and lean heavily on the run in the future.

I wouldn't want any positional player that relies mainly on passing for points, as I anticipate they will be diminished even further.

DynastyDabbler
Role Player
Role Player

Postby DynastyDabbler » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:07 am

Haven't heard much good.. His nerve issues worry me. I bought Corey Davis Midway through the season for a good price and was thinking he and Mariota would get it together by seasons end but that didn't really pan out. I've tried packaging him and Davis in trades but people aren't very interested (especially in Mariota). I recently aquired Mayfield and Garoppolo so I'm not concerned about my QB position anymore. All in all if you're looking to aquire him now's the time. I don't believe he's worth much, if he falls any further he'll be on waiver wires.
10 team half-ppr 1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 2FLX 3IDP
QB: J. Burrow, J. Goff
RB: J. Mixon, K. Walker, T. Etienne, A. Ekeler, Z. Charbonet, K. Miller, T. Bigsby, J. Warren,
WR: J. Chase, D.J. Moore, D.K. Metcalf, D. Smith, J. Smith-Njigba, P. Nacua, J. Meyers, T. Palmer,
TE: T. Kelce, T. McBride, C. Okonkwo

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:47 am

It'll be interesting to see who the OC is. I think they blew it by not getting Monken.

jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jenkins.math » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:10 pm

As a Titans fan, I'm ready to move on from him. He struggles with consistent mechanics and struggles with reading defenses. He doesnt understand what NFL open looks like. Add on to that he can't stay healthy and a reactive instead of proactive organization. I would expect this is his last year as a starter. He just isnt a high quality NFL starter.

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:48 pm

His health is really my only concern with him. When he’s right, he looks the part. He’s just so rarely right. He played pretty much this whole season banged up after hurting his elbow in week one. The team changing OCs again won’t help, but the health is the main issue.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:24 pm

Really liked him coming out, but it's been 4 years now and the passing game still looks like the the struggle bus and that's with 2 different head coaches. He just doesn't have the gunslinger mentality. I think he can still learn and grow but I feel like the Alex Smith comparisons I scoffed at before are looking more and more accurate.