Thoughts On Mariota??

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: Thoughts On Mariota??

Postby Sriracha » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:53 pm

ArrylT wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:54 pm Just a quick reminder that whatever you think about Mariota - do not forget his draft pedigree will always protect him to some degree. In the sense that he'll have more opportunities & chances even if the Titans move on from him long term. See Sam Bradford, Joe Flacco, Teddy Bridgewater and the previously mentioned Alex Smith & Blake Bortles (backup rehabilitating his image in the NFL & 1 injury away). Heck even the guy replacing Mariota as a starter is a 1st round pick (Tannehill).

If your only goal is to look for that elite QB with yearly top 6 potential then I certainly think most people have moved on from Mariota. So I agree that if you want to roll out 1 reliable QB in a 1QB league, then Mariota likely has little value to you at this time ...

But if you're an owner who streams QBs & plays matchups - Mariota alone this year had 2 QB1 performances.

As dynasty continues to expand from its 10 team 1 QB 16 man roster redraft roots and has now has variations like 16 team leagues with 30 man rosters, ppc, different QB scoring formats (not to mention Superflex & 2 QB formats) - it never hurts to keep tabs on any QBs who have the potential to grab a starting role, and QBs with high draft pedigree will likely remain coveted in the NFL.

There is a reason they say things like 'Any Given Sunday' or 'One Mans Junk is Another Mans Treasure'. So all I am saying is that things may look dismal for Mariota right now - but tomorrow do not be surprised if Mariota has landed another starting gig. The right team, the right situation, the right time, anything goes.
Watching him play this season, I'm not sure it's in his best interest to get an immediate starting gig. His confidence looks shot, and his accuracy this season has been abysmal. He needs to go to the right situation and in the best case scenario sit out a year and learn from an established system (Veteran QB, Offensive Guru).

Tannehill still looks like Tannehill, but while I scoffed at those suggesting that Tannehill is a better passer than Mariota... this season at least, that's probably true. Mariota's had Josh Allen levels of accuracy issues on his off days. I hope he's still not suffering from nerve damage from last season... since that would likely be permanent at this point.

jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jenkins.math » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:04 pm

ArrylT wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:54 pm Just a quick reminder that whatever you think about Mariota - do not forget his draft pedigree will always protect him to some degree. In the sense that he'll have more opportunities & chances even if the Titans move on from him long term. See Sam Bradford, Joe Flacco, Teddy Bridgewater and the previously mentioned Alex Smith & Blake Bortles (backup rehabilitating his image in the NFL & 1 injury away). Heck even the guy replacing Mariota as a starter is a 1st round pick (Tannehill).

If your only goal is to look for that elite QB with yearly top 6 potential then I certainly think most people have moved on from Mariota. So I agree that if you want to roll out 1 reliable QB in a 1QB league, then Mariota likely has little value to you at this time ...

But if you're an owner who streams QBs & plays matchups - Mariota alone this year had 2 QB1 performances.

As dynasty continues to expand from its 10 team 1 QB 16 man roster redraft roots and has now has variations like 16 team leagues with 30 man rosters, ppc, different QB scoring formats (not to mention Superflex & 2 QB formats) - it never hurts to keep tabs on any QBs who have the potential to grab a starting role, and QBs with high draft pedigree will likely remain coveted in the NFL.

There is a reason they say things like 'Any Given Sunday' or 'One Mans Junk is Another Mans Treasure'. So all I am saying is that things may look dismal for Mariota right now - but tomorrow do not be surprised if Mariota has landed another starting gig. The right team, the right situation, the right time, anything goes.
I get what you're saying, but how many of those guys you listed were ever really fantasy relevant for more than a year? Most were never relevant in 1QB leagues and even in SF if guys like Flacco, Alex Smith, etc were your 2nd QB you were looking to upgrade.

Sure Mariota is worth monitoring and seeing where his next landing spot is, but I cant think of a QB who has regressed as badly as Marcus has on his rookie deal, going somewhere else and ever becoming fantasy relevant for any decent stretch. While his NFL career may be over, I dont see him ever becoming much more than a backup at the NFL level.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:04 am

IZigUZag wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:53 pm

Watching him play this season, I'm not sure it's in his best interest to get an immediate starting gig. His confidence looks shot, and his accuracy this season has been abysmal. He needs to go to the right situation and in the best case scenario sit out a year and learn from an established system (Veteran QB, Offensive Guru).

Tannehill still looks like Tannehill, but while I scoffed at those suggesting that Tannehill is a better passer than Mariota... this season at least, that's probably true. Mariota's had Josh Allen levels of accuracy issues on his off days. I hope he's still not suffering from nerve damage from last season... since that would likely be permanent at this point.
If I had to speculate, and based off the premise that the Titans were moving on, I expect he'd probably follow a Nick Foles / Ryan Fitzpatrick path and have a year or two as a journeyman backup getting a couple of spot starts, followed by a bridge opportunity (1-2 year opportunity). Which, if you're correct about either his confidence or the health, would likely be for the best - allowing him to reboot.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:35 am

jenkins.math wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:04 pm

I get what you're saying, but how many of those guys you listed were ever really fantasy relevant for more than a year? Most were never relevant in 1QB leagues and even in SF if guys like Flacco, Alex Smith, etc were your 2nd QB you were looking to upgrade.

Sure Mariota is worth monitoring and seeing where his next landing spot is, but I cant think of a QB who has regressed as badly as Marcus has on his rookie deal, going somewhere else and ever becoming fantasy relevant for any decent stretch. While his NFL career may be over, I dont see him ever becoming much more than a backup at the NFL level.
I suppose that will depend on your definition of fantasy relevant when it comes to QBs. To me it is not much different than those guys you use as flex plays at RB/WR/TE. IE guys like Smith, Tannehill, Flacco, may not have been yearly QB1s but with matchups they had reliable floors and occasional QB1 games.

Take Flaccos 2016 where he finished as QB 17-19 overall depending on scoring formats (and same with 2014). Looking over that year he almost never had a performance out of the top 20 and had 4-5 QB1 performances, including one in the fantasy playoffs (Week XIV). Fast forward to 2019 and Flacco is currently a low end QB2 and has had 1 QB1 performance & 3 QB2 performances. Basically for the most part he has not hurt your team, and has had (except for Week 6) as safe a floor as Baker Mayfield or Jimmy Garoppolo.

I am not saying Mariota will re-emerge as a QB1 - just that part of dynasty is looking for value where it is to be found, and history has shown that the NFL will keep these guys (1st round draft picks with a proven baseline of talent) around for a lengthy period of time, allowing them to repeat over & over as guys you can plug in on any given notice. Maybe they are your QB3, but the whole point of a QB3 is insurance in case your top 2 options get the same bye week or 1 of them gets injured. Basically anyone who added Alex Smith after his first few years & hope of a QB1 in dynasty fizzled got 3-4 years of QB2 production (2013-2015 likely never finished lower than QB16) and then that 1 magical QB1 year in 2016.

Basically all I am saying when boiled down to a nutshell is that while their perception as potential QB1s has faded away they are now anti-hype bargain bin values that the astute owner picks up for a song & plugs in when needed. Don't forget about them is all I am saying. Obviously this could be league dependant - some 12 team leagues are more loose with QB valuations than others, but I am definitely in 3-4 12 team leagues where any QB who starts is gobbled up, if only to keep them out of other owners hands & then you have to pay to get them or pray, and about a quarter of my dynasty portfolio is 14-16 team 1 QB leagues ...

jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jenkins.math » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:24 am

ArrylT wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:35 am
I suppose that will depend on your definition of fantasy relevant when it comes to QBs. To me it is not much different than those guys you use as flex plays at RB/WR/TE. IE guys like Smith, Tannehill, Flacco, may not have been yearly QB1s but with matchups they had reliable floors and occasional QB1 games.

Take Flaccos 2016 where he finished as QB 17-19 overall depending on scoring formats (and same with 2014). Looking over that year he almost never had a performance out of the top 20 and had 4-5 QB1 performances, including one in the fantasy playoffs (Week XIV). Fast forward to 2019 and Flacco is currently a low end QB2 and has had 1 QB1 performance & 3 QB2 performances. Basically for the most part he has not hurt your team, and has had (except for Week 6) as safe a floor as Baker Mayfield or Jimmy Garoppolo.

I am not saying Mariota will re-emerge as a QB1 - just that part of dynasty is looking for value where it is to be found, and history has shown that the NFL will keep these guys (1st round draft picks with a proven baseline of talent) around for a lengthy period of time, allowing them to repeat over & over as guys you can plug in on any given notice. Maybe they are your QB3, but the whole point of a QB3 is insurance in case your top 2 options get the same bye week or 1 of them gets injured. Basically anyone who added Alex Smith after his first few years & hope of a QB1 in dynasty fizzled got 3-4 years of QB2 production (2013-2015 likely never finished lower than QB16) and then that 1 magical QB1 year in 2016.

Basically all I am saying when boiled down to a nutshell is that while their perception as potential QB1s has faded away they are now anti-hype bargain bin values that the astute owner picks up for a song & plugs in when needed. Don't forget about them is all I am saying. Obviously this could be league dependant - some 12 team leagues are more loose with QB valuations than others, but I am definitely in 3-4 12 team leagues where any QB who starts is gobbled up, if only to keep them out of other owners hands & then you have to pay to get them or pray, and about a quarter of my dynasty portfolio is 14-16 team 1 QB leagues ...
Relevant and rosterable mean different things to me. Is Kenyan Drake fantasy relevant? No he isn't as you aren't playing him at all unless you are just crushed by injuries or byes. Is he rosterable? Absolutely.

The guys you listed kind of prove my point though and back up essentially what I said. In 1QB leagues you weren't winning anything starting those guys, but if they were your QB2, they served their purpose for a couple of years. In SF you lived with their results for a couple of years but were constantly looking to upgrade. While depth has value, you weren't starting those guys with regularity and winning big save for maybe one season or your team was stacked everywhere else.

The problem with comparing Flacco, Smith, etc to Mariota is they were both given extensions by the team that drafted them. Even Tannehill and Bortles signed an extension with the team that drafted them. Mariota won't be. Which is my main point concerning Mariota. I can't think of one other QB who was let go after his rookie contract was up that ever found any sort of fantasy relevance elsewhere. Being traded somewhere; sure. But just outright being allowed to walk out the door? Teams are so QB starved that never happens at that stage. Especially when a team doesn't have a solution to the position on the roster.

FF is a numbers game. That's all it really is. So when you are looking at the bottom of your roster and thinking of rostering Mariota you have to ask yourself "will Mariota will be the very first QB to be let go after his rookie deal and find success elsewhere?" While the odds are low that a guy like Jarrett Stidham will be fantasy relevant (day 3 QBs have a low hit rate overall), we have at least seen it happen before. Same thing with WRs/RBs/TEs as you're typically starting anywhere from 6 to 8 from that crop of players weekly depending on your starting requirements. He may be the first QB to do it, but it won't be on my team. The probability just doesn't warrant it in my opinion.

WhatWouldDitkaDo
GOAT
GOAT

Postby WhatWouldDitkaDo » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:33 am

ArrylT wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:54 pm But if you're an owner who streams QBs & plays matchups - Mariota alone this year had 2 QB1 performances.
Good luck predicting which weeks he'll random throw two TDs and which weeks he'll literally score negative fantasy points though. Outside of deep 16+ team 1QB leagues, superflex/2QB formats, or best ball, Mariota has zero value.
Kittles Pox | Championships: 2015, 2017
12-Team PPR | QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DST
QB: Kyler Murray, Aaron Rodgers
RB: Christian McCaffrey, Melvin Gordon, James Conner, Phillip Lindsay, Tevin Coleman, Boston Scott, Benny Snell Jr.
WR: Tyreek Hill, Mike Evans, Cooper Kupp, Michael Gallup, Christian Kirk
TE: George Kittle, Travis Kelce | K: Younghoe Koo | DST: SF
PS: Mecole Hardman, Tony Pollard | 2020 Picks: 1.09, 2.10, 3.03 | 2021 Picks: 1st, 2nd

notweswelker
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby notweswelker » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:41 am

WhatWouldDitkaDo wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:33 am
ArrylT wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:54 pm But if you're an owner who streams QBs & plays matchups - Mariota alone this year had 2 QB1 performances.
Good luck predicting which weeks he'll random throw two TDs and which weeks he'll literally score negative fantasy points though. Outside of deep 16+ team 1QB leagues, superflex/2QB formats, or best ball, Mariota has zero value.
I am trying to figure out if he is worth a shot at buying low in my SF leagues. I'm leaning towards no, but there's definitely still some value there.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:55 am

jenkins.math wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:24 am
ArrylT wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:35 am

Relevant and rosterable mean different things to me. Is Kenyan Drake fantasy relevant? No he isn't as you aren't playing him at all unless you are just crushed by injuries or byes. Is he rosterable? Absolutely.

The guys you listed kind of prove my point though and back up essentially what I said. In 1QB leagues you weren't winning anything starting those guys, but if they were your QB2, they served their purpose for a couple of years. In SF you lived with their results for a couple of years but were constantly looking to upgrade. While depth has value, you weren't starting those guys with regularity and winning big save for maybe one season or your team was stacked everywhere else.

The problem with comparing Flacco, Smith, etc to Mariota is they were both given extensions by the team that drafted them. Even Tannehill and Bortles signed an extension with the team that drafted them. Mariota won't be. Which is my main point concerning Mariota. I can't think of one other QB who was let go after his rookie contract was up that ever found any sort of fantasy relevance elsewhere. Being traded somewhere; sure. But just outright being allowed to walk out the door? Teams are so QB starved that never happens at that stage. Especially when a team doesn't have a solution to the position on the roster.

FF is a numbers game. That's all it really is. So when you are looking at the bottom of your roster and thinking of rostering Mariota you have to ask yourself "will Mariota will be the very first QB to be let go after his rookie deal and find success elsewhere?" While the odds are low that a guy like Jarrett Stidham will be fantasy relevant (day 3 QBs have a low hit rate overall), we have at least seen it happen before. Same thing with WRs/RBs/TEs as you're typically starting anywhere from 6 to 8 from that crop of players weekly depending on your starting requirements. He may be the first QB to do it, but it won't be on my team. The probability just doesn't warrant it in my opinion.
That is totally fair - a lot will definitely depend on different owners determination of rosterable & relevant.

For example to me fantasy relevant is any player on my roster that I can see under normal circumstances as being placed in my teams starting lineup. Whereas rosterable is players, that even if I do not think they will have usefulness immediately, could have it later in the season, or in a year+ - depending on your roster requirements. Obviously a 12 team 20 man roster league that starts a Kicker & a Team D will have different roster needs than a 12 team 30man roster that has no K or Team D or leagues with Taxi Squads.

For example Gardner Minshew pre-season would NOT have been fantasy relevant or rosterable even in SF (save really large ones), but obviously he is now even in smaller 12 team 1 QB leagues. Same with Allan Lazard - since it took several / multiple factors to fall his way. Neither was rosterable, much less fantasy relevant prior to the season.

With QBs it is pretty easy (for me) because most teams only dress 2 QBs a week, and carry a max of 3 on a roster. So going into the season a guy like Ryan Tannehill was still rosterable even in some of my 1QB leagues (roster size dependant) and in fact I traded him away in 1 (so still has trade value) recently.

As per your comment regarding 1st round QBs being let go (ie QBs that did not earn an extension with their original team) there are 3 categories

(a) traded away in 1st contract
(b) cut / released prior to end of contract
(c) let go after end of 1st contract

Mariota will likely fall into the 3rd one - but won't know for sure until end of 2019. He could fall into A or B.

A - Traded away

Jay Cutler (got starts)
Blaine Gabbert (got starts)
Brady Quinn (got starts)
Josh Rosen (got starts)
Tim Tebow (got starts)

B - Released before their contract ended

Paxton Lynch - off-field concerns
Johnny Manziel - off-field concerns
Robert Griffith - (was named starter for Cleveland)
Jamarcus Russell - off-field concerns
Brandon Weeden - was a 28 year old rookie (but still got at least 1 start with 2 more teams)

C - QBs that played their full contract (assuming 4 years or 5 with option) and were then let go

Teddy Bridgewater (got starts)
EJ Manuel (got starts)
Mark Sanchez (got starts)
Christian Ponder (got starts)
Jake Locker - retired

Basically every single 1st round QB going back to 2007 (looking back further doesnt really change anything imo), that was not extended by their 1st team, still got starts with another team, unless they had documented off-field concerns or major injury history (Locker never played more than 11 games in any 1 of his 4 seasons). Neither of which really applies to Mariota. Every QB on those lists either had a chance at winning a starting role, or took over as a starter (even for a short period).

Anyways I was not saying Mariota should be rostered, athough I guess it is implied by my argument, but if anyone re-reads my original statement on Wed I simply stated that Mariota will likely get another shot & owners should not forget about him.

"So all I am saying is that things may look dismal for Mariota right now - but tomorrow do not be surprised if Mariota has landed another starting gig. The right team, the right situation, the right time, anything goes."

Maybe your league size will mean you leave him on WW, just that you should keep his name on speed dial because history suggests he will end up back starting games at some point.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:18 am

WhatWouldDitkaDo wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:33 am
Well if you get technical, that can apply to pretty much any player. Mike Evans goose eggs, Patrick Mahomes against the Colts, and so forth - there are always going to be games where unexpected positive or negative results will occur.

However excluding Week I, when most people likely wouldnt have been focused on matchups, Mariotas 2nd QB1 performance was against the Atlanta Falcons in Week IV

Week II - Carson Wentz QB1 week.
Week III - Jacoby Brissett QB1 week.
Week V - Watson QB1 overall that week
Week VI - Murray top 5 QB

Week VII - Jared Goff
Week VIII - Russell Wilson

While nothing is set in stone - I think many would lay favorable odds that playing any QB against the Falcons D until proven otherwise will lead to a QB1 type result (or better depending on QB). Maybe it was a little early in the season, but the trend had already been established, and has since been repeated. And Bye Weeks had started. So I do think, it is possible, for owners who dig beneath the surface to find favorable matchups for their 2nd & 3rd QBs.

It is quite possible Mariota hold little to no trade value in many QB1 leagues going forward, but rest assured that there are plenty of 1QB leagues where any QB with a pulse gets added by owners. I remember Sam Bradford 2015 - no one wanted to pay anything for him, but any time an owner dropped him on waivers, he would be added by another owner. In 1 league (a 12 team 24 man roster league with K & TD) he went through 4 different rosters - 3 during the off-season & a 4th in-season (traded after proven he was a starter again).

So it is easy to say going forward he may have no value - but my experiences even in 12 team 1 QB leagues with smaller rosters these guys still maintain or re-gain enough value that someone will take a shot on them. The odds are a lot more favorable for someone like him than many may think due to past pedigree & need at the position.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:56 am

No surprise. Mariota is a quality backup.

Don’t see him as a quality starter......way too inconsistent.

That was a pretty bad draft for QB’s looking back.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby remedy29 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:15 am

I'm surprised by all the Mariota discussion. The guy can not throw a forward pass. I'm not even questioning his accuracy, he can't throw a forward pass. Mariota throwing looks like a huge struggle.

He would be a below average backup QB and I'm not sure what he possibly offers any team as a backup. He can't successfully run an efficient practice and he won't help you win games with his arm. I think teams will much prefer younger QBs that they have the potential of developing into a quality QB, than to give a vet Minimum contract to Mariota. He will be out of the league shortly.