Thoughts On Mariota??

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Re: Thoughts On Mariota??

Postby ninotoreS » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:44 pm

How does one even objectively quantify/observe "killer instinct". Nebulous nothingism. Mariota's career y/a is 7.5, so he's willing to take aggressive shots and completes them at a decent rate.

I'm not a fan, but OhCruelestRanter is right -- Mariota's an easy buy candidate in superflex this offseason.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:28 pm

dipANDglide wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:33 pm
OhCruelestRanter wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:30 am Imagine still making fantasy football decisions on whether or not you think a player has “killer instinct” in 2019.

Mariota has been a QB2 each of the last 3 years, but has a QB3 ADP. He has the best receiving options of his career. He’s an easy buy low in Superflex startups.
Thank you! Some common sense is always refreshing.
Think you two should buy him everywhere. It’s obvious the Titans are as sold as you are on him. Maybe they will shock the world and sign him to a 100plus million dollar contract!

Good Luck!

Don’t worry about the Ryan T. Signing. It means nothing.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:34 pm

Ice wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:28 pm Don’t worry about the Ryan T. Signing. It means nothing.
It really doesn't. MIA: 4th round pick in 2020 (would've been valued as a 5th round pick in 2019), paid off all but 1.875 million of Tannehill's contract, TEN: 6th round pick in 2019, Ryan Tannehill for 1.875 mill... that's really cheap for a quality backup.

They've also publicly stated that he's the backup, it's not an open competition.

He's insurance for Mariota's injury history.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:50 pm

IZigUZag wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:34 pm
Ice wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:28 pm Don’t worry about the Ryan T. Signing. It means nothing.
It really doesn't. MIA: 4th round pick in 2020 (would've been valued as a 5th round pick in 2019), paid off all but 1.875 million of Tannehill's contract, TEN: 6th round pick in 2019, Ryan Tannehill for 1.875 mill... that's really cheap for a quality backup.

They've also publicly stated that he's the backup, it's not an open competition.

How long have you been playing Fantasy Football?

The coaches actual comment was back ups push the guys in front of them.

It’s obvious he was signed to push him. Thinking they won’t play the better player is FALSE.

The reality is if they thought Mariota was the guy they would have locked him up.

He may be the guy but anyone who thinks he is definitely the guy might want to step back and think about what is actually going on in Titans land.

Love him or hate him the facts suggest he is on a very short leash.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:04 pm

Ice wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:50 pm
IZigUZag wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:34 pm

How long have you been playing Fantasy Football?

The coaches actual comment was back ups push the guys in front of them.

It’s obvious he was signed to push him. Thinking they won’t play the better player is FALSE.

The reality is if they thought Mariota was the guy they would have locked him up.

He may be the guy but anyone who thinks he is definitely the guy might want to step back and think about what is actually going on in Titans land.

Love him or hate him the facts suggest he is on a very short leash.
Have you read the articles about this? It's very clear Tannehill is the backup. That's been voiced by both Jon Robinson and Mike Vrabel.

Of course they're going to play the better player. And they believe that is Mariota.

I liken his situation to Jameis Winston. They want to know if he can be their franchise QB and they're going to give him every chance to prove that this year.

It's not impossible that Tannehill ends up being the starter this year, but it'd have to be a collossal collapse, or more likely an injury to Mariota thats followed by Tannehill playing lights out. But Tannehill is not just going to straight up steal the job from Mariota this season

wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Postby wickerkat1212 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:38 pm

I'm actually kind of bullish on Mariota. Could surprise a lot of people.
D3:
QB—Allen RB—Kamara, Jacobs, Edwards, Ford, Warren WR—Lamb, Olave, DJM, Puka, Harrison, TILLMAN, Marshall, Jefferson TE—Ferguson, Schoon, Likely, Smith, Washington KRAFT PK—Prater DEF—BAL

D4:
QB—TLaw, JimmyG, Tannehill, AOC RB—BIJAN, Conner, Gainwell, Gainwell, HULL, ZMoss, Chandler, McLaughlin, Murray WR—Jefferson, Hill, Diggs, Adams, Allen, TILLMAN, Boyd, Woods, HUTCHINSON, DOUGLAS TE—Kelce, Kmet, Schultz, Parham PK—Butker DEF—PIT

Superflex 1:
QB—Mahomes, Rodgers, Mayfield, Howell RB—BIJAN, Kamara, Allgeier, Singletary, Mostert, BRob, Warren, HULL, GRAY WR—Chase, DJM, Devonta, Myers, Hardman, Reynolds BOUTTE TE—Kmet, Smith, Hurst, Ertz, KRAFT PK—Elliott DEF—PHI

Superflex 2:
QB: Goff, Cousins, Wentz, White; RB: BIJAN, BRob, ZWhite, Hines, TDP, McLaughlin WR: Higgins, JSN, JWilliams, DJM, RMoore, DOWNS, Atwell, TILLMAN, BOUTTE, SMoore, PCampbell, DPJ, ATP, CJONES TE: Trautman, Ferguson, KRAFT, Hooper

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:45 am

To me, this thread is a good example of exactly why I like playing in a variety of leagues, and have the ability to be open-minded enough to take different positions on the same player(s).

I think there is the possibility Tannehill could earn the starting job, just on merit, so I have a couple of shares of him in some leagues because of that.

I think there is the possibility Tannehill could grab & hold the starting job, but only because Mariota gets injured, and I have a couple of shares of him in SF leagues for that reason.

I also think there is possibility Mariota finally puts it all together - stays healthy and takes that next step in his development - so I have a few Mariota shares as well.

Don't get me wrong - there are plenty of players that I am 100% all in, and happy to own wherever I can, but there are always going to be players whose outcomes can diverge depending on unpredictable/unknown future variables. I think this situation is one of them - and I have not seen enough signs to suggest yet which is the most probable path.

I also feel that good organizations do their best to acquire talent to help their team regardless of position. The Rams went out and got Blake Bortles - that is probably not an indication of their lack of faith in Goff, it is more likely an effort to have a QB with proven starter skills who could be a reliable spot starter if need be. The Eagles with Foles/Wentz in past years has shown how useful having a proven 2nd QB can be.

So I do not think that the Titans went out and got Tannehill with the main intention of replacing Mariota - they did it because it made good business sense from a cost perspective, and allowed them to cover different possible outcomes from Mariota being able to learn from Tannehill (one of the biggest unacknowledged facts is that players mentor/teach fellow players as much as Coaches do), to Mariota struggling & Tannehill replacing, to Mariota getting injured and Tannehill having to step in, to Mariota being able to take the next step & having a trade chip in case another team (with a poor QB situation) needs a QB mid-season.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

TimeWillTell
Captain
Captain

Postby TimeWillTell » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:56 am

I'm hoping he takes a step forward as I own both Davis and AJB! Please FF Gods, smile down on me!
2020, 2021, 2022 Champion!
12 Team 1QB 0.5 PPR 30 man roster
Start: 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,1Flex,1K,1Def
QB: Mahomes, Brady, Stafford
RB: Barkley, Taylor, Dobbins, Swift, Jacobs
WR: Chase, Jefferson, AJB, Lamb, DJM, Olave, Dotson, Mike Evans
TE: Hock, Dulcich, Chig, Fant, Jonnu, Hurst, Everett
K: Some guy
Def: Who knows
1.01, 1.03

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:03 am

ArrylT wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:45 am To me, this thread is a good example of exactly why I like playing in a variety of leagues, and have the ability to be open-minded enough to take different positions on the same player(s).

I think there is the possibility Tannehill could earn the starting job, just on merit, so I have a couple of shares of him in some leagues because of that.

I think there is the possibility Tannehill could grab & hold the starting job, but only because Mariota gets injured, and I have a couple of shares of him in SF leagues for that reason.

I also think there is possibility Mariota finally puts it all together - stays healthy and takes that next step in his development - so I have a few Mariota shares as well.

Don't get me wrong - there are plenty of players that I am 100% all in, and happy to own wherever I can, but there are always going to be players whose outcomes can diverge depending on unpredictable/unknown future variables. I think this situation is one of them - and I have not seen enough signs to suggest yet which is the most probable path.

I also feel that good organizations do their best to acquire talent to help their team regardless of position. The Rams went out and got Blake Bortles - that is probably not an indication of their lack of faith in Goff, it is more likely an effort to have a QB with proven starter skills who could be a reliable spot starter if need be. The Eagles with Foles/Wentz in past years has shown how useful having a proven 2nd QB can be.

So I do not think that the Titans went out and got Tannehill with the main intention of replacing Mariota - they did it because it made good business sense from a cost perspective, and allowed them to cover different possible outcomes from Mariota being able to learn from Tannehill (one of the biggest unacknowledged facts is that players mentor/teach fellow players as much as Coaches do), to Mariota struggling & Tannehill replacing, to Mariota getting injured and Tannehill having to step in, to Mariota being able to take the next step & having a trade chip in case another team (with a poor QB situation) needs a QB mid-season.
I’m sure if Mariota needs some tips on route running, Tannehill will be the first guy he’ll go to. As it is, Mariota has been a QB longer than the converted WR Tannehill.

One other potential situation that is sadly quite possible given their histories is that both of these guys get injured and end up rehab buddies.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:34 am

ericanadian wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:03 am
ArrylT wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:45 am To me, this thread is a good example of exactly why I like playing in a variety of leagues, and have the ability to be open-minded enough to take different positions on the same player(s).

I’m sure if Mariota needs some tips on route running, Tannehill will be the first guy he’ll go to. As it is, Mariota has been a QB longer than the converted WR Tannehill.

One other potential situation that is sadly quite possible given their histories is that both of these guys get injured and end up rehab buddies.
That does not negate the very real possibility that Tannehill has learned different QBing techniques or had different experiences that he can pass on to Mariota (or vice versa). Honestly I could even make the argument that because he converted from WR his perspective might be different enough, from a QB who has basically only played QB, that that may give added value to help Mariota anticipate WRs open better. The way they see the field could be quite different, and it could be feasible they both learn different techniques that improve each of their games.

Regardless, while I do not think that was the main purpose of acquiring Tannehill, it most likely came across - that Tannehill could have something to mentor/teach/coach/lead by example that Mariota may learn from. Prior to that the only 'veteran' QB that I think Mariota has had with him was Matt Cassel, and it may be that Cassel was not the type of QB who was good at helping other QBs.

But I do agree, at the very least they can relate on how injuries have/may have delayed or derailed their careers, and how to rehab better.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:04 pm

ArrylT wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:34 am That does not negate the very real possibility that Tannehill has learned different QBing techniques or had different experiences that he can pass on to Mariota (or vice versa). Honestly I could even make the argument that because he converted from WR his perspective might be different enough, from a QB who has basically only played QB, that that may give added value to help Mariota anticipate WRs open better. The way they see the field could be quite different, and it could be feasible they both learn different techniques that improve each of their games.
I'm with you on most of what you said here, but throwing with anticipation is probably Mariota's greatest strength.

https://presnapreads.com/marcus-mariota ... ituations/

Here's a pretty good deep dive on this aspect of his game.

Big Al
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Big Al » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:19 am

(dynastyleaguefootball) Titans' head coach Mike Vrabel failed to endorse Marcus Mariota for the long term
Analysis: Specifically, Vrabel said he's not looking at a quarterback change "right now". It's hard to project anything changing for Mariota in the short term that will remove him from the hot seat. He's yet to play a full season, his completion % has dropped to a career low (60.9%) and the Titans are struggling with consistency in the passing game. On the positive side, he is averaging 235 passing yards per game, highest in his career. Now 1-2 in the young season, the Titans will limp along with Mariota under center until the season begins to slip away and change is required. The Ryan Tannehill watch begins. Marcus Mariota is a tenuous QB24 on DLF's quarterback rankings.

Yikes!

DLF3000
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby DLF3000 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:24 am

I've seen Mariota play before, and seen some good things before this year, and before last year.

But last night's game he looked worse than I've ever seen by far. It's no wonder that passing game is dumpster-level terrible.
35 Team Dyn PPR, 3 x Copy SF start 2TE Super Prem (TE 2 PPR, 8pt TD), 6 pt/non-TE TD, 1pt/20 yds pass (300 +3pt), 1pt/10 yds rush/rec (100 +3pt)

Start 12: 1QB 1SFLX 2RB 4WR 2TE 2FLX | 30 Active Roster, unlim Taxi, 3 IR/Out (+) | est. '21 | playoffs '21, '22

QB - J Allen, T Lawrence ...
RB - A Ekeler, S Barkley, J Cook, I Pacheco ...
WR - AJ Brown, C Ridley, G Pickens, C Sutton ...
TE - D Njoku, D Knox ...
® 2024 - | 2025 -

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:32 am

He's absolute garbage.