Antonio Brown - Alive & Well in TB?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Re: Antonio Brown’s feets

Postby ericanadian » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:58 am

Shoreline Steamers wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:36 am People here that are trying to reason that this situation is in any way the Raiders' fault as an organization are down the rabbit hole IMO. You can opine they made a bad decision to sign him in the first place. But this entire saga has been created by the player, not the organization. The helmet saga was not of the Raiders doing, nor was his foot issue. The team tried to work with him while those dramas unfolded, but even after AB's appeal was denied, and his feet were healed he continued to rail against the system.

Mayock/Gruden are at least trying to change the culture that has existed in Oakland. The fining of Brown had to be done to show that his type of behavior would not be accepted without consequence. What's the player's reaction? Complain, post a private conversation on social media (not the first time), and request his release. I'm glad the Raiders complied. Goodbye malcontent, who never showed any interest in actually playing football during his short stay with the team.

Cryogate, then Helmetgate, followed by insubordination in front of the entire team. This guy hardly even practiced at all. I question his desire to even play football at this point. I won't be shocked if we've seen the last of AB on the field.
If they’re trying to “change the culture”, bringing in AB, Burfict & Incognito is sure a funny way to go about it. You bring one of those guys in once you’ve established a solid culture and then maybe you have some hope of reining them in. It looks an awful lot like Gruden brought in a lot of guys that Mayock didn’t want and that he didn’t have the skillset to deal with.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

Dookmarriot
MVP
MVP

Postby Dookmarriot » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:00 am

I'm just happy to get a reminder of Allen Iverson again.

Although I'm pretty sure practices are mandatory in the NBA too.
"I like reading the predictions of the morons on here and cashing in by doing the opposite. Especially Dookmariot." - Lotto4Life

"Because of (the Raiders), there's the no-clothesline rule, the no-hitting-out-of-bounds rule, the no-fumbling-forward-in-the-last-two-minutes rule, the no-throwing-helmets rule and the no-Stickum rule. So you see, we're not all bad." - Ted "The Mad Stork" Hendricks

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:30 am

whodunnit wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:52 am
ericanadian wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:50 am
whodunnit wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:45 am

fixed it for you. and suspending him the 4 games and voiding the guaranteed money shows him that you're still his boss. He wanted released, and once again, they gave him what he wanted. that's why it sends a stronger message.
I’m not sure what you think adding “mandatory” in front of practice changes. It’s still practice.
because "mandatory" means just that... you're required to be there. Regardless of any prior success you have had. He's not above anyone else on the team. Not showing up for mandatory events is unacceptable.... or does that not register to you?
If I tell you something is mandatory, but have no leverage over you, is it mandatory? The word only has as much meaning as the leverage of the person declaring it to be so. In this situation, you seemingly had a coach who continually brushed off the absences (and also brought in several character issue guys) while the GM tried to play hardball. In a normal organization, this may work, but Gruden was perceived as the one with all the power in Oakland. Even if that wasn’t the case, they knew who AB was before they traded for and signed him to a big extension. You don’t have a couple conversations at the time of the signing and assume a guy like AB is fixed. If Mayock wanted to make this work, he should’ve known that he’d need more than a fancy title to rein in a guy like AB. He could’ve tried establishing a relationship with him early. He could’ve wrote a better contract that didn’t require such an all or nothing response before the first game was even played. He could’ve just not been a dick about missing a couple practices and let Gruden handle it.

Now, is AB without fault in this? No, of course not. Had he even played ball past the first game of the season, he’d have his guaranteed money and a whole lot more leverage in this. He pushed too hard too early and now he’s out $30 Million and potentially more, but I can understand why he thought he could get away with it, even if I think he’s a bit of a turd for doing it.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:34 am

Michael Irvin is the first analyst I have heard express concern about his mental health.

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:36 am

Phaded wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:34 am Michael Irvin is the first analyst I have heard express concern about his mental health.
I'm not convinced it's a mental health issue or just a celebrity surrounded by yes men. You can consider massive entitlement a mental health issue though.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

Blueboy
All Pro
All Pro

Re: How to handle AB in Dynasty

Postby Blueboy » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:06 pm

Wiretapping is very strictly enforced as illegal in California, yeah? That situation could conceivably develop into something worse.

Trading my only share of AB for Josh Jacobs back in July is looking like my best dynasty move, lol

12-team SF, PPR, TE premium, 0.25 PPCarry
1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 1SF 4Flex
QB: Mahomes, Fields, Love
RB: Bijan, ETN, Pollard, Achane, Herbert
WR: Kupp, Hill, Metcalf, Ridley, Jeudy, D.J. M, Burks, Hollywood, Wan'Dale
TE: Kyle Pitts, Goedert

jman3134
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jman3134 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:07 pm

Any chance this guy gets signed? 5-6 teams off the bat have come out and said heck no. I assumed someone would take a chance, but I could be very wrong.
12 team, 35 man rosters, 1/2 PPR, 10 round rookie/FA draft
Qb: Geno Smith, Matthew Stafford, Trey Lance
Rb: Jonathan Taylor, Joe Mixon, Austin Ekeler, Saquon Barkley, Cam Akers, Isiah Pacheco, Jeff Wilson, Chase Edmonds, Pierre Strong, Jordan Mason, Jaleel McLaughlin
Wr: DeAndre Hopkins, Mike Evans, Diontae Johnson, Darnell Mooney, Marquez Valdes-Scantling, Jakobi Meyers, Laviska Shenault, Donovan Peoples-Jones, Denzel Mims, Richie James, Michael Wilson, Demario Douglas, Trent Sherfield
Te: George Kittle, Darren Waller, Taysom Hill, Isaiah Likely
K:
D: Dallas D

SteveMaddensShoes
Legend
Legend

Postby SteveMaddensShoes » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:15 pm

Odds are AB is mainly at fault but it's hard to ever know what goes on behind the scenes.

They did mention on NFL Network that Raiders tried to bring Keelan Doss back and Jags offered him NFL rookie salary money to play on the practice squad and he chose to stay with the Jags. That's very interesting, imo. I don't know how often this happens and would love to hear from anyone else that might know the likelihood of it happening. Or maybe it happens all the time?

Just surprising for a guy that could suit up on Sunday's to pass the opportunity up to play on the practice squad. Sounds like something isn't right in Oakland.
TEAM 1 - 12 man SF. ppr, TEP 1.65 ppr

11 starters - QB, RB(2) WR(3) TE, SF, Flex(3)

Stroud, Kyler, Bryce Young, Anthony Richardson, Minshew, Trey Lance, Dalton l, Mike White

Breece, Achane, AJ Dillon, Justice Hill, Evan Hull, Chris Rodgriquez

Chase, Lamb, Waddle, Olave, London Drake, Demario Davis, Jake Bobo

Kyle Pitts, Mark Andrews, Kincaid, Schoonmaker

24 picks - 1x2, 3,4,5

Team 2-
12 man SF, .25ppc, .5ppr rbs, 1 ppr wr, 1.5 ppr TE

Joe Burrow, Trevor Lawerence, Jake Haehner, Jake Browning

JT, Kendre Miller,, K Ingram, Ty Chandler, Michael Carter, Kenny Macintosh, Sean Tucker

Puka, Rondale, Mooney, Wan’dale, Terrace Marshall, DPJ, Justyn Ross, Xavier Hutchinson,

Kyle Pitts, Luke Musgrave, Juwan Johnson, Darnell Washington, Jelani Woods, Elijah Higgins

24 - 1st x 3, 2nd x 2, 4th x 3 ,5

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:17 pm

All depends on what he's willing to accept, no one is giving him $30M+ guaranteed. I think best he'll get is 1 year ~$5M then he can hit UFA next year. I think there's a good chance he retires or just sits out the year, but who really knows. I'm done with assumptions about anything to do with AB, nothing will surprise me at this point.

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:20 pm

Shoreline Steamers wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:36 am People here that are trying to reason that this situation is in any way the Raiders' fault as an organization are down the rabbit hole IMO. You can opine they made a bad decision to sign him in the first place. But this entire saga has been created by the player, not the organization. The helmet saga was not of the Raiders doing, nor was his foot issue. The team tried to work with him while those dramas unfolded, but even after AB's appeal was denied, and his feet were healed he continued to rail against the system.

Mayock/Gruden are at least trying to change the culture that has existed in Oakland. The fining of Brown had to be done to show that his type of behavior would not be accepted without consequence. What's the player's reaction? Complain, post a private conversation on social media (not the first time), and request his release. I'm glad the Raiders complied. Goodbye malcontent, who never showed any interest in actually playing football during his short stay with the team.

Cryogate, then Helmetgate, followed by insubordination in front of the entire team. This guy hardly even practiced at all. I question his desire to even play football at this point. I won't be shocked if we've seen the last of AB on the field.
Absolutely this. People are forgetting what a circus clown Brown was before he even joined the Raiders. For one of the very few times ever, I side with the Raiders on this.

jman3134
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jman3134 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:30 pm

The Raiders aren't wrong in their judgments, but how they have gone about it is a complete joke. Mayock is way too proud and it is biting him in the butt. If Antonio wants to miss practice for the helmet, it is probably smarter to scold him in house than going to the media saying enough is enough. Then you fine him - obviously a known egomaniac is not going to be happy and respond lovingly. Then you have your coach saying he is misunderstood and accept his apology along with the rest of the locker room, only to send a letter to him rescinding his contract guarantees. If you were going to do this, you should have cut him directly after Wed and not tried to salvage anything. Now you make your coach look like a fool and this creates a huge rift between FO and coach. Who's running the show? One will go by the end of this because of this fiasco.
12 team, 35 man rosters, 1/2 PPR, 10 round rookie/FA draft
Qb: Geno Smith, Matthew Stafford, Trey Lance
Rb: Jonathan Taylor, Joe Mixon, Austin Ekeler, Saquon Barkley, Cam Akers, Isiah Pacheco, Jeff Wilson, Chase Edmonds, Pierre Strong, Jordan Mason, Jaleel McLaughlin
Wr: DeAndre Hopkins, Mike Evans, Diontae Johnson, Darnell Mooney, Marquez Valdes-Scantling, Jakobi Meyers, Laviska Shenault, Donovan Peoples-Jones, Denzel Mims, Richie James, Michael Wilson, Demario Douglas, Trent Sherfield
Te: George Kittle, Darren Waller, Taysom Hill, Isaiah Likely
K:
D: Dallas D

Ray Finkle
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Ray Finkle » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:39 pm

jman3134 wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:07 pm Any chance this guy gets signed? 5-6 teams off the bat have come out and said heck no. I assumed someone would take a chance, but I could be very wrong.
Do you know which 5-6 teams stated they will not sign him?

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:41 pm

Bot101 wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:20 pm

Absolutely this. People are forgetting what a circus clown Brown was before he even joined the Raiders. For one of the very few times ever, I side with the Raiders on this.
It is on the Raiders though. Why did they think the Steelers would let a superstar go for a pair of mid round picks? Raiders haven't been able to keep three superstars happy now. Gruden & Mayock are not on the same page.

It's looking more and more like the late Al Davis Raiders and less like the post-salary cap hell rebuilt Raiders that made the playoffs.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:19 pm

Pac_Eddy wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:41 pm
Bot101 wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:20 pm

It is on the Raiders though. Why did they think the Steelers would let a superstar go for a pair of mid round picks? Raiders haven't been able to keep three superstars happy now. Gruden & Mayock are not on the same page.

It's looking more and more like the late Al Davis Raiders and less like the post-salary cap hell rebuilt Raiders that made the playoffs.
Risk vs Reward... It's not like everyone knew that AB was insane; and a couple mid round picks for a top 5 WR is crazy value. The Steelers and Brown were done, the entire NFL knew it... so it's not like the Steelers had a choice to keep him or not.

The Raiders have sacrificed no cap money in this whole fiasco, lost a couple mid round picks that have a fairly low hit rate anyways. It's not the end of the world for them by any means.

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:34 pm

IZigUZag wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:19 pm Risk vs Reward... It's not like everyone knew that AB was insane; and a couple mid round picks for a top 5 WR is crazy value. The Steelers and Brown were done, the entire NFL knew it... so it's not like the Steelers had a choice to keep him or not.

The Raiders have sacrificed no cap money in this whole fiasco, lost a couple mid round picks that have a fairly low hit rate anyways. It's not the end of the world for them by any means.
Yeah, I agree on the low cost, but there is damage to the credibility of the organization. The don't know what they can handle. Not the end of the world but had they avoided him they could've gone another route to bolster the WRs.