Week VI Discussion Thread

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
notweswelker
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Week VI Discussion Thread

Postby notweswelker » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:59 pm

ninotoreS wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:05 pm Barkley's a generational stud, but the Giants still should have drafted Darnold, considering '19's QB class is projected to be a big step down from '18's.

Superstar RBs don't carry teams the way QBs can. LT, Peterson, Charles, McCoy... so dominant in their prime, and yet their teams never made it to the final game of the season.

Who knows how many years it will take the Giants to find their next franchise-QB. They had a high-percentage shot at one this year, and passed. Can't do that when your current QB is 37. I doubt the Patriots and Saints would have passed on Darnold if they somehow had a pick that high.
As a Giants fan I'm glad they passed. Outside of Barkley I think the rest of the QBs in this class were mostly trash and definitely not slam dunk franchise QBs. Other than Baker I think Allen has a shot if he can refine his game a little. Rosen and Darnold look like replacement level talents.

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:09 pm

Darnold's barely 21. He's been excellent by traditional rookie QB standards, and flashes his Pro Bowler level tools and potential every week. This despite playing with a talent-starved pass-catching corps and O-line that does him no favors, complemented by a mediocre run-game aside from that nuclear explosion last week. Considering his age, I didn't even think Darnold could start year one, much less be this decent already, and especially not with that supporting cast.

For a rookie QB, saying Darnold's been trash or replacement-level relative to an NFL 21-year-old QB standard in any real football sense is like a bizarro-world take. You should go take a look at John Elway and Peyton Manning's rookie seasons.

I think Josh Allen needs several orders of magnitude more refinement than "a little". I'll give him a chance when I see him complete 60% of his passes in a season for the first since he was 14, and doesn't lead the league in negative yardage surrendered from sacks by a catastrophic margin. Also, this.

Barkley > Rosen at 1.2. We agree on that much.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

notweswelker
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re:

Postby notweswelker » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:47 pm

ninotoreS wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:09 pm Informed tape study tells a different story.
:lol: C'mon bro. Informed tape study of college prospects is almost as much art as science, and seeing as even the best scouts miss and disagree all the time, I'm betting our informed tape study is probably on a similar level. I'm talking about their prospect profiles, not their rookie NFL seasons fyi. Tyler Kroft went before David Johnson based on 32 NFL teams scouting departments informed tape studies. Glad we agree on Barkley though.

I would add I agree on not judging rookie qbs based on rookie year performances, I was basing my evaluations on what I saw coming into the NFL. There's too many variables and growing involved to judge that much on rookie qbs. We all thought Goff was headed to bustville, though he might have, with another year of Fisher at the helm.

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:55 pm

You sure you don't just hate Darnold on principle because he's the guy for the other team sharing MetLife Stadium? :P
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

notweswelker
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby notweswelker » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:39 pm

ninotoreS wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:55 pm You sure you don't just hate Darnold on principle because he's the guy for the other team sharing MetLife Stadium? :P
Haha no I don't really buy into that Giants-Jets rivalry. A lot of my family are Jets fans and I hope they do well when they aren't playing the NYGs. I simply made my judgement on Darnold/Rosen/LJ/Allen based on what I saw in CFB, and I haven't seen enough evidence in the pros to sway me from those judgments yet. Those three: Darnold/Rosen/Allen are definitely not being put into positions to succeed right now though, so if I had liked them before, I wouldn't be changing my evaluation now either. I think I'm most impressed with Rosen of that group so far. I shouldn't have said "trash" I just think the most likely career arc of the QBs outside of Baker Mayfield will be of ~average nfl quarterbacks, and not in the great/elite tier. For me, if you're getting a player at 1.02, 'average' isn't an acceptable outcome.

I also think if the Giants were going to go for a QB they should have cut Eli Manning and his huge contract prior to FA so they could spend on OL help. So for me, once that decision was made(to keep Eli), Barkley was the only way to go. Obviously Eli isn't working out, nor the patch-quilt/duct taped line, but at 1-5 they are well on their way to grabbing a comparable talent to the non-Baker Mayfield's QBs from 2018, in 2019. And they are doing so with Barkley in hand. As someone who wasn't very high on the non-Baker Qbs, I'm actually pretty happy about how this is playing out, 2018 train-wreck aside, as I think they will be in a much better position next year than had they went for Rosen/Darnold/Allen this year. This line of thinking based on that this is the last year of Eli in NY.

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:25 am

Am I the only one who thinks Shepard would thrive in a functional offense? He’s quite the talent.
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

saw061600
Legend
Legend

Postby saw061600 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:16 am

lukkynumber13 wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:25 am Am I the only one who thinks Shepard would thrive in a functional offense? He’s quite the talent.
I like Shepard but traded him away in most leagues because I felt his production was going to be bad due to situation; just thought the situation would be more he was 4th option on team than the team would be dysfunctional. He's going to be a good buy low if the awful plays continues for awhile.
10 TM No PPR or waiver 85RST
Herbert Fields Garoppolo Ridder
JT Barkley Etienne Ingram Charb CEH
Evans Aiyuk Dionte Jeudy London JWill GWils EMoore JMyers Mims Moorex2
Andrews Kinkaid Pits Freiermuth
NBosa Quinnen DJJones Clark F-Myers Taylor Graham
Darius Okereke Kendricks DCampbell DJones Baker Kiser Brooks
Adams Simmons Vaccaro Joseph

12 TM .5ppr 45 RST
Herbert Stroud Mayfield
JT Achane Kamara Ford Pacheco Jaleel
AJB DK Godwin Aiyuk Kirk ZJones RMoore Thornton
Hock F-muth
LWilliams Payne Reed Greenard
Bernard Kendricks Warner Baker Williams Tranquil
Budda McKinney Clark Wilson

1-2QB 2-4RB 3-5WR 1-3TE 11OFF/DEF
Herbert Stafford Brock Dobbs
Taylor Jacobs Mattison Kyren Jaleel Ford Bigsby
AJB Diggs Evans Kirk McLaurin Dionte Boyd Renfrow JuJu
Kelce Pitts Deguara
Hutchinson Rousseau Greenard Travon Demarcus
QWilliams EJones TBernard Dean ShaqT Kyzir
Amos Bates Peppers Murray Fitz Clark

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:57 am

lukkynumber13 wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:25 am Am I the only one who thinks Shepard would thrive in a functional offense? He’s quite the talent.
Hes got the talent for sure. No doubt in my mind if he was on a team that supported 2 or 3 WR he would easily be in the WR3 discussion and with the value of youth around here I could see him being ranked with the 2's. Too bad Eli cant throw downfield and his only targets are screens and 5 yard curls. The presence of Barkley and OBJ takes a lot of targets but there are plenty of other teams that support more than 2 targets.

Gotta wonder if Eli didn't have the best 2 positional players propping him up, would he still be starting? Oh Giants...

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:50 am

Bot101 wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:42 pm I traded away Barkley for OBJ.... talk me off the edge.....
OBJ is still one of the top WRs in dynasty.
It is not like you traded him for a bust.
It is easy to buy into what Barkley is doing but I would not stress about that move - dynasty is still a long term game.

I traded him for MT & a 1st - which I am still happy with.

jcc6fd
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jcc6fd » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:08 am

Phaded wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:50 am
Bot101 wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:42 pm I traded away Barkley for OBJ.... talk me off the edge.....
OBJ is still one of the top WRs in dynasty.
It is not like you traded him for a bust.
It is easy to buy into what Barkley is doing but I would not stress about that move - dynasty is still a long term game.

I traded him for MT & a 1st - which I am still happy with.
Barkley has been great, but a lot of his production, especially the pass catching, is due to Manning being unable to connect more than 5 yards downfield. So yes Barkely’s is putting up big numbers but look at the giants game scores and record. When the Giants turn to even a competent NFL backup level of talent at QB Barkley will get fewer looks and OBJ will be just fine.
10 Team Half PPR Scoring SF
QB: Mahomes, Hurts, Minshew
RB: Kamara, K. Hunt, Warren, Bigsby, D. Cook, Jamaal Williams, J. Wilson, McLaughlin, McKinnon, J. Kelley
WR: A.J. Brown, Diggs, K. Allen, C. Watson, Cooks, Pickens, W. Robinson
TE: Kelce, J. Smith, Musgrave

kmbryant09
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby kmbryant09 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:52 am

ninotoreS wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:38 pm These days, Alshon Jeffery looks and plays like a tweener tight-end that never has his hand in the dirt. No way he's still ~215lbs. I think he's pushing 230 right now.

Fortunately, Wentz seems to prefer throwing to guys like that.
I would have said the same thing last year, but I think he looks really good this year. Definitely slimmed down a bit while rehabbing his shoulder injury. Looks 1/2 step faster & quicker than last year.

Might not ever get back to being an alpha #1 guy, but I'll gladly take him on my team as a WR #2 or #3.
10-team/.5 PPR/5 Pts per Passing TD. Start 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2FLEX (rb/wr/te)
QB: J. Hurts, K. Murray
RB: Bi. Robinson, D. Henry, D. Achane, , J. Cook, Z. Charbonnet, T. Chandler, R. Johnson, K. Mitchell, J.K. Dobbins, T. Allgeier, J. McLaughlin, S. Tucker, T. Bigsby
WR: G. Wilson, B. Aiyuk, J. Waddle, T. Higgins,, Z. Flowers, Di. Johnson, K. Toney, A. Iosivas
TE: K. Pitts, E. Engram, C. Okonkwo, G. Dulcich

IBall2
All Pro
All Pro

Postby IBall2 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:22 am

kmbryant09 wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:52 am
ninotoreS wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:38 pm These days, Alshon Jeffery looks and plays like a tweener tight-end that never has his hand in the dirt. No way he's still ~215lbs. I think he's pushing 230 right now.

Fortunately, Wentz seems to prefer throwing to guys like that.
I would have said the same thing last year, but I think he looks really good this year. Definitely slimmed down a bit while rehabbing his shoulder injury. Looks 1/2 step faster & quicker than last year.

Might not ever get back to being an alpha #1 guy, but I'll gladly take him on my team as a WR #2 or #3.
I hope Wentz keeps feeding him all season. He's a solid buy low, all the people chasing youth are selling Alshon at a discount. He's an easy plug-n-play WR2.

Servo
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Servo » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:36 am

0LDMAN wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:59 pm As a Giants fan I'm glad they passed. Outside of Barkley I think the rest of the QBs in this class were mostly trash and definitely not slam dunk franchise QBs. Other than Baker I think Allen has a shot if he can refine his game a little. Rosen and Darnold look like replacement level talents.
LOL, I'd sure as hell take replacement level over trash level Eli. The fact of the matter is, there were 5 QBs that a lot of teams felt were worthy of 1st Round Picks, and if the Giants opt to draft one in 2019...they will pigeonhole themselves into "falling for" 1 or 2 options...when they had 5 the year before.

And to be honest, guys like Herbert, Grier, Haskins, etc, as of today, haven't shown that they are on a level above Darnold, Rosen & Jackson.

But hey, maybe their best bet is to sign someone like a Flacco or something, who knows.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:51 am

Fitzmagic to the G men

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:10 am

8.9 points out of OBJ in my big money league.... Barf. Man.... I'm glad I'm not a Giants fan. Eli is horrible. He can't throw down field when he has time. He often doesn't have enough time, gets pressured, gets hit. Barkley looks to be the real deal. The Giants are in serious contention for a very early draft pick. I'm not going to overreact but, man, it pisses me off how OBJ handles adversity. He isn't a leader & he isn't mature. I get that he is a competitor and is very frustrated, but, if you aren't part of the solution, you are part of the problem. Oh, and what the heck are they thinking putting him out there on punt return. That just doesn't seem like a good idea to me. Risk / reward.... hmmm.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.