Thoughts on Rashaad Penny?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Re: What's wrong with Penny?

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:35 am

Penny has looked much better in pass pro this year, and that TD was impressive. Is Carroll going to go back to giving him 6 touches next week, or is he going to get the ball more?
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:21 pm

IBall2 wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:46 pm
IBall2 wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:10 pm Just sold Penny + Carson for Alshon + Pettis. Getting tired of that backfield and already have 4 solid RBs ahead of that combo on my roster.
My first update after trading away Penny, it's only been a few hours... But I already feel good seeeing that 27 points from Jeffrey tonight.
This has aged well... :lol:

sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby sloth8u » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:03 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:35 am Penny has looked much better in pass pro this year, and that TD was impressive. Is Carroll going to go back to giving him 6 touches next week, or is he going to get the ball more?
I suspected last yr that penny just never earned the trust of the staff when he started off with the injury. Carson wasnt horrible and they were in the playoff hunt....those 3 factors limited penny's opportunities was my assumption.

I expect that penny gets opportunities this year and its really up to how he performs as to how much work he gets.

I know carson is a polarizing player for most of us...ive never thought he was anything special, but i can see how some would like him... That said, penny has to be more dynamic and bring more potential to the table...right? He's gotta be able to protect wilson though if he wants to get on the field.

Long story short, if he can block... I think the workload increases and eventually he takes the job. Big if though.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:18 am

sloth8u wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:03 am
FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:35 am Penny has looked much better in pass pro this year, and that TD was impressive. Is Carroll going to go back to giving him 6 touches next week, or is he going to get the ball more?
I suspected last yr that penny just never earned the trust of the staff when he started off with the injury. Carson wasnt horrible and they were in the playoff hunt....those 3 factors limited penny's opportunities was my assumption.

I expect that penny gets opportunities this year and its really up to how he performs as to how much work he gets.

I know carson is a polarizing player for most of us...ive never thought he was anything special, but i can see how some would like him... That said, penny has to be more dynamic and bring more potential to the table...right? He's gotta be able to protect wilson though if he wants to get on the field.

Long story short, if he can block... I think the workload increases and eventually he takes the job. Big if though.
He has shown this multiple times this year. His pass pro has gotten much better. He also got at least 3 third and short carries this week, converting 2, and the other he had no chance on. One, he had good blocking and converted, one he had no chance on, like I previously stated, and the other should have been a 2 yard loss, and he turned it into a 37 yard TD that was all Penny, basically. He showed the skillset that Carson simply does not have on that play, and he showed it vs GB and Minnesota last year, too, (and the Rams) with jaw dropping runs. Consistency is his issue, but much like a raw college prospect, I think Carroll is developing him into a more complete NFL player. If Carson keeps putting the ball on the ground, Penny will get more touches. I believe Carson has a place in this offence, but it will probably not ever be what it was last year, again. He's still a tough runner, and a viable player, but he's not a guy that should command the lions share of the touches, the way Penny can break big plays.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:36 am

I agree with what FF has said. I think Carson has already hit his peak (at least in SEA). He's a good football player though and valuable to that team. More valuable to an NFL team than fantasy. I'm not sure if Penny could be a workhorse though. Roles would like need to be reversed or I would think they just go 50-50... Penny does have that special talent and it has me sold. Just not sure he ever gets the workload or consistent touches in that offense. It is encouraging to see him get more work though but I'm still holding and hoping.

IBall2
All Pro
All Pro

Postby IBall2 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:40 am

mild wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:21 pm
IBall2 wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:10 pm Just sold Penny + Carson for Alshon + Pettis. Getting tired of that backfield and already have 4 solid RBs ahead of that combo on my roster.
My first update after trading away Penny, it's only been a few hours... But I already feel good seeeing that 27 points from Jeffrey tonight.
Who would have thought a year ago that Carson would have been the best piece in this trade :wall:

SteveMaddensShoes
Legend
Legend

Postby SteveMaddensShoes » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:46 am

IBall2 wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:40 am
mild wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:21 pm

Who would have thought a year ago that Carson would have been the best piece in this trade :wall:
And good luck guessing who will be the most valuable a year from now.
TEAM 1 - 12 man SF. ppr, TEP 1.65 ppr

11 starters - QB, RB(2) WR(3) TE, SF, Flex(3)

Stroud, Kyler, Bryce Young, Anthony Richardson, Minshew, Trey Lance, Dalton l, Mike White

Breece, Achane, AJ Dillon, Justice Hill, Evan Hull, Chris Rodgriquez

Chase, Lamb, Waddle, Olave, London Drake, Demario Davis, Jake Bobo

Kyle Pitts, Mark Andrews, Kincaid, Schoonmaker

24 picks - 1x2, 3,4,5

Team 2-
12 man SF, .25ppc, .5ppr rbs, 1 ppr wr, 1.5 ppr TE

Joe Burrow, Trevor Lawerence, Jake Haehner, Jake Browning

JT, Kendre Miller,, K Ingram, Ty Chandler, Michael Carter, Kenny Macintosh, Sean Tucker

Puka, Rondale, Mooney, Wan’dale, Terrace Marshall, DPJ, Justyn Ross, Xavier Hutchinson,

Kyle Pitts, Luke Musgrave, Juwan Johnson, Darnell Washington, Jelani Woods, Elijah Higgins

24 - 1st x 3, 2nd x 2, 4th x 3 ,5

remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby remedy29 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:00 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:18 am
sloth8u wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:03 am

He has shown this multiple times this year. His pass pro has gotten much better. He also got at least 3 third and short carries this week, converting 2, and the other he had no chance on. One, he had good blocking and converted, one he had no chance on, like I previously stated, and the other should have been a 2 yard loss, and he turned it into a 37 yard TD that was all Penny, basically. He showed the skillset that Carson simply does not have on that play, and he showed it vs GB and Minnesota last year, too, (and the Rams) with jaw dropping runs. Consistency is his issue, but much like a raw college prospect, I think Carroll is developing him into a more complete NFL player. If Carson keeps putting the ball on the ground, Penny will get more touches. I believe Carson has a place in this offence, but it will probably not ever be what it was last year, again. He's still a tough runner, and a viable player, but he's not a guy that should command the lions share of the touches, the way Penny can break big plays.
I don't think real gameday NFL RB production is about the ability to break big plays. It's about getting the ball, making a decisive decision, and running hard to pick up yardage. Huge open holes are not always going to be there for Penny, at some point he needs to man up and run hard and be decisive.
None of which Penny has shown to be capable of.

Penny plays like a scat back in a 235+ lb body. That's not going to work in the NFL, and it hasn't for Penny up to this point.

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:12 am

And it looks like he may be a scratch for Week 3. Apparently he injured his hammy in a walkthrough Friday. Hopefully it's low-grade.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:35 am

remedy29 wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:00 am
Penny plays like a scat back in a 235+ lb body.
So did DJ when he first came into the league, and so did Melvin Gordon as well. But DJ had a coach who believed in him and was willing to correct and work through his mistakes. Giving him high leverage touches at things he was good at while CJ got the bulk of the work early on. Basically, the complete opposite of what Seattle is doing with Penny. If they sprinkle Penny in the game behind Carson, they have him run straight up the gut instead of giving him touches out in space which is what he's good at and what would boost his confidence. Regardless of what you think of Penny, it's clear Seattle has completely bungled everything about the situation. I'll continue to reiterate that this Penny situation is a lot like the Derrick Henry situation. They are not going to wow you on a play-by-play basis but if you give them a full compliment of touches they will reward you. That recent play that Penny made for a long TD, Carson probably would have looked SPECTACULAR pin-balling between defenders for a 5 yard gain. I mean you probably couldn't get twitter to shut up about how good he looked gaining 5 yards when Penny has the skillset to break it for a touchdown.

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby nathanq42 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:21 am

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:35 am
remedy29 wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:00 am
Penny plays like a scat back in a 235+ lb body.
So did DJ when he first came into the league, and so did Melvin Gordon as well. But DJ had a coach who believed in him and was willing to correct and work through his mistakes. Giving him high leverage touches at things he was good at while CJ got the bulk of the work early on. Basically, the complete opposite of what Seattle is doing with Penny. If they sprinkle Penny in the game behind Carson, they have him run straight up the gut instead of giving him touches out in space which is what he's good at and what would boost his confidence. Regardless of what you think of Penny, it's clear Seattle has completely bungled everything about the situation. I'll continue to reiterate that this Penny situation is a lot like the Derrick Henry situation. They are not going to wow you on a play-by-play basis but if you give them a full compliment of touches they will reward you. That recent play that Penny made for a long TD, Carson probably would have looked SPECTACULAR pin-balling between defenders for a 5 yard gain. I mean you probably couldn't get twitter to shut up about how good he looked gaining 5 yards when Penny has the skillset to break it for a touchdown.
To this point Schottenheimer is one of the least creative/deceptive OC in the league. You've basically got a 1/3 chance that its an inside hand off from the shotgun every offensive play. The amount of running plays he calls vs how many he has to choose from is like a 8:1 ratio. Its horrible, if Penny was on a dynamic offense like the Chiefs or Rams he'd be popping off, but he is on an offense from the 70's
12 Team 1 ppr .1 points per carry
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
TE Dalton Kincaid, Foster Moreau
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:39 am

I can't believe I've never posted on this thread. I was sure I did but... I don't see anything.

I've said it several times before, but Penny is over-rated. I said that in over 30 posts on this forum (just counted, which is why I'm surprised none of those posts were in the Penny thread). Not only is he a terrible fit for the Seahawks system, but what little talent he does have is not being used properly anyway.

This is my first ever write-up on Penny.
I'm not taking Rashaad Penny.

He doesn't read blocking well enough, nor does he run the play as it's designed to be run. So many examples to point out, even in his highlights. In this video, he takes the handoff on what's supposed to be a stretch play with zone blocking, designed to be an outside run first. If the outside's not there, then you are supposed to work your way in until you find a hole. Instead, he hits the far inside lane (which should be the LAST read, not first) and looks like a champ doing it. The problem is that he got creative like this all the time vs sub-NFL level talent and got away with it a lot. You can't get away with that stuff at the NFL level. He's in for a rude awakening.

He's also leaning his body to change direction instead of swiveling his hips, and doesn't get many big plays based on avoiding tacklers, but instead on pure speed running through gaping holes in the offensive line. He also gets arm-tackled a lot and falls down awkwardly far too often for my liking. That's an injury waiting to happen.

Did I forget to mention that he couldn't beat out Donnel Pumphrey for the starting job? He also can't pass block, and he got drafted to a team with a bad O-line.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:14 am

I am surprised people have not figured out the main solution to increasing his value.

A name change.

Simply going from Penny to Nickel would increase his value 5fold!

Then Seattle needs to trade him to Buffalo.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:19 am

ArrylT wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:14 am I am surprised people have not figured out the main solution to increasing his value.

A name change.

I'm moreso looking for a dime

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:21 am

Jigga94 wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:19 am
ArrylT wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:14 am I am surprised people have not figured out the main solution to increasing his value.

A name change.

I'm moreso looking for a dime
Then you could go to his owners and say 'Brother could you spare a Dime?' 8-)
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..