Michael Thomas Thread: Still a WR1?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
mild
Legend
Legend

Re: Michael Thomas: Arguably the #1 Dynasty Asset?

Postby mild » Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:57 pm

murphysxm wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:29 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:11 pm
I heard the opposite. I heard they recommended it. There are lots of tweets players "like", and even if he did, it doesn't mean it's factual. This is journalism in 2021. :lol: MT liked a tweet.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say the head case WR was probably asked to get surgery, and tried to go the rehab route. All the way from coach to ownership has suggested that was the case.
From what I can gather, he gutted it out last season to help Brees finish his career. The Saints didn't like the narrative that came from his second opinion vastly disagreeing with the Saints staff about getting surgery. MT didn't like his commitment to the team getting questioned. This isn't going to end well. This is also based 100% on my interpretation.
This is my interpretation of it, too.

I think we are convoluting two different surgery moments here - the initial injury in Week 1 that they asked him to gut it out for, and then the post-season consultation where he was told to "keep trying to rehab, but also come back for a check in" - which he didn't do, as we know.

So it's shots fired on both sides. Either way, I agree that this is not going to end well.

Marquez Callaway - you have the floor. Make me proud, my glorious 2020 waiver child.

sct
Starter
Starter

Postby sct » Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:52 pm

Sriracha wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:37 pm
sct wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:24 am
Anteaters wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:24 am

:clap:
May now flip Chubb and Lockett for Zeke and a pick that would get me someone like Cooks/etienne. You like?

In what world are Cooks/ETN comparable assets?
We have a no limit keeper league and a couple guys dropped everyone to get Harris and then hope to pick up some of their drops. Out of the guys in the player pool I expect etienne or cooks to be available at the pick I was looking at getting.
12 team no limit keeper PPR
4patd, 6ruretd, 1/25 payd, 1/10 ruyd, 1ppr Start 1QB, 2RB,2WR,1Flex, 1TE,1k, 2idp
QB: Jackson, Cousins
RB: Fournette, AJones, Montgomery, Henderson, JWilson, Ingram, BScott, Vaughn, Benjamin
WR: Kupp, adams, DJMoore, Lazard, Campbell, Osborn
TE: Schultz, Knox

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:10 pm

sct wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:52 pm
sct wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:24 am

May now flip Chubb and Lockett for Zeke and a pick that would get me someone like Cooks/etienne. You like?

We have a no limit keeper league and a couple guys dropped everyone to get Harris and then hope to pick up some of their drops. Out of the guys in the player pool I expect etienne or cooks to be available at the pick I was looking at getting.

This response made me even more confused

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:38 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:17 pm
Jigga94 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:15 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:11 pm

I heard the opposite. I heard they recommended it. There are lots of tweets players "like", and even if he did, it doesn't mean it's factual. This is journalism in 2021. :lol: MT liked a tweet.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say the head case WR was probably asked to get surgery, and tried to go the rehab route. All the way from coach to ownership has suggested that was the case.
That's what they want you to think! In reality, it could be either story. I tend to side with the players but MT is a bit of a drama queen
Doesn't add up. Why would they go out of their way to create a situation with him and intentionally lie and blame him, considering the huge contract and all the dead cap he holds still?
Remember, the player and team were already at odds last offseason. They could see last season and this offseason as a continuation of that conflict.

Furthermore, and hypothetically, could putting the blame for his inability to perform due to injury, "poor" rehab and no check in with the team give them an out for getting out of his contract with reduced/no cap hit?
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:43 pm

Pullo Vision wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:38 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:17 pm
Jigga94 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:15 pm

That's what they want you to think! In reality, it could be either story. I tend to side with the players but MT is a bit of a drama queen
Doesn't add up. Why would they go out of their way to create a situation with him and intentionally lie and blame him, considering the huge contract and all the dead cap he holds still?
Remember, the player and team were already at odds last offseason. They could see last season and this offseason as a continuation of that conflict.

Furthermore, and hypothetically, could putting the blame for his inability to perform due to injury, "poor" rehab and no check in with the team give them an out for getting out of his contract with reduced/no cap hit?
I have my doubts about that, but I honestly don't know. Not sure they could if he had a doctor OK the rehab route. I think there would be issues throughout the entire league if that were the case, if players had to take teams orders in terms of medical. I believe there were issues with guys like Osemele and Ja'Wuan James where they didn't listen to the team on medical clearance to play. James continued to be on the team, although opted out, and then tore his achilles, so they got rid of him at that point, because he was not at the facility. I think Osemele was cut the next year.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

sct
Starter
Starter

Postby sct » Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:26 pm

Valhalla wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:10 pm

Each owner can elect to keep between 0-23 players. Based on who kept who the player pool for the draft is such that I believe those are the two players that would be highest ranked and still available at the pick I would receive.
12 team no limit keeper PPR
4patd, 6ruretd, 1/25 payd, 1/10 ruyd, 1ppr Start 1QB, 2RB,2WR,1Flex, 1TE,1k, 2idp
QB: Jackson, Cousins
RB: Fournette, AJones, Montgomery, Henderson, JWilson, Ingram, BScott, Vaughn, Benjamin
WR: Kupp, adams, DJMoore, Lazard, Campbell, Osborn
TE: Schultz, Knox

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:55 am

sct wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:26 pm
Valhalla wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:10 pm

Each owner can elect to keep between 0-23 players. Based on who kept who the player pool for the draft is such that I believe those are the two players that would be highest ranked and still available at the pick I would receive.
I got that. What I’m confused about is if Etienne is in the pool and you already mentioned Najee is, I’m assuming all rookies are in it along with the free agents dropped in.
I’m just surprised that Etienne ranks next to Cooks for you, when there must be at minimum a handful of rookies available that interest you. Or you just really like Cooks more than most.

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:43 am

murphysxm wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:29 pm From what I can gather, he gutted it out last season to help Brees finish his career. The Saints didn't like the narrative that came from his second opinion vastly disagreeing with the Saints staff about getting surgery. MT didn't like his commitment to the team getting questioned. This isn't going to end well. This is also based 100% on my interpretation.
I agree with all, but especially agree with this. I think the coaches (and maybe even Brees himself) wanted MT to try to play through the injury. He tried. And now that his recovery is delayed, the team is doing all it can to smear his reputation by questioning his commitment to "the game" and his commitment to "doing things the right way."

Screw the team. MT had every right to try a non-surgical path first, even if it added to the amount of time he missed. His body, his choice.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, MWilliams, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:59 am

Shoreline Steamers wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:42 pm
Ice wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:30 pm What seems to be known is he didn't bother to show for his follow up appointment MONTHS ago. Of course the team is not happy as he should be healed up and in camp by now.

His moves look calculated and look very selfish. Can't imagine his teammates are too happy with him these days.
Except maybe Tre'Quan Smith, Marquez Callaway and Deonte Smith? I kid, but these guys are going to see more passes coming their way. One or more of them might end up getting paid down the road due to this situation.

Things between Thomas and the Saints seem to have fallen apart quickly though. Not sure if this is a fence they'll be able to mend.
I agree but my take is MT has to man up a bit.

He may be mad, he may blame the Saints for his injury, he may still be mad because he got in fist fight with a teammate and was called out but the bottom line there really isn't some safe place he can go make cryptic tweets from thinking push back won't happen.

He looks really bad and the only one that can fix that is him.

Sounds like he needs a long talk with that man in the mirror. Then decide to move on, retire, man up, or whatever but if he is thinking the Saints owe him at this point that is laughable. They are a major organization and their world doesn't revolve around MT.

Really glad I don't own him at this point.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:05 am

Ice wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:59 am Sounds like he needs a long talk with that man in the mirror. Then decide to move on, retire, man up, or whatever but if he is thinking the Saints owe him at this point that is laughable. They are a major organization and their world doesn't revolve around MT.

You probably also don't want to own Aaron Rodgers, who has spent the past two+years whining about how he should be able to control the roster, and prima-donna-ing like GB owes him something beyond the tens of millions of dollars they are paying him.

You also probably don't want to own Russell Wilson, who acts like the world revolves around him and if he can't be QB and OC he's going to pout and whine.

What about Zack Jerkz who refused to report to offseason workouts and such because his panties are in a bunch. He apparently thinks the Eagles don't respect him enough because they won't name him the starter and they haven't released/traded him yet.

Antonio Brown hasn't been happy in 7 years. Wait, okay it's fine to hate on AB. He deserves it.
TEAM 1:
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon

TEAM 2:
2023 semifinals loser

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:13 am

Anteaters wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:05 am
Ice wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:59 am Sounds like he needs a long talk with that man in the mirror. Then decide to move on, retire, man up, or whatever but if he is thinking the Saints owe him at this point that is laughable. They are a major organization and their world doesn't revolve around MT.

You probably also don't want to own Aaron Rodgers, who has spent the past two+years whining about how he should be able to control the roster, and prima-donna-ing like GB owes him something beyond the tens of millions of dollars they are paying him.

You also probably don't want to own Russell Wilson, who acts like the world revolves around him and if he can't be QB and OC he's going to pout and whine.

What about Zack Jerkz who refused to report to offseason workouts and such because his panties are in a bunch. He apparently thinks the Eagles don't respect him enough because they won't name him the starter and they haven't released/traded him yet.

Antonio Brown hasn't been happy in 7 years. Wait, okay it's fine to hate on AB. He deserves it.
I honestly don't think anything Rodgers said in his presser was unreasonable. GB is behind the times. He never asked for control, just input on players that directly affect him, like Jordy and Kumerow. The idea it should just be a cold, sterile relationship for a guy who has played almost 2 decades for them, just shut up and throw type thing, is a thought process that will lose. Not every player deserves it, but when you see a team like the Cardinals getting input from Kyler, who has done nothing compared to Rodgers, you see that GB is somewhat stuck in the past, on a model that worked for a long time, but is outdated. Guys like Brady/Rodgers, Wilson etc., are elite players with tons of experience. Not seeking their advice on certain issues would be downright stupid.

In regards to your "screw the team" comment. You are right, MT's body, his choice. But when they recommend surgery, he doesn't get it, goes against the advice, and then ends up having surgery months later, they obviously have the right to be upset about it, as it's now costing him games that they pay him for. The idea they are "doing everything they can" to smear his reputation is ridiculous. They've done nothing of the sort beyond saying he should have had the surgery sooner, which is what they recommended in the first place.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:31 am

Wow; Are you related to MT? What is this Probably Nonsense?

Not really even worth a response other than to say did Rodgers miss any time or put off surgery? Did he punch a teammate and get suspended by his coach? How about Wilson?

I don't really care if you love MT or not any more than I care if he retires or not. Don't mind you believing he is a Saint either.... Pun intended! :D

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:14 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:13 am

I honestly don't think anything Rodgers said in his presser was unreasonable. GB is behind the times. He never asked for control, just input on players that directly affect him, like Jordy and Kumerow. The idea it should just be a cold, sterile relationship for a guy who has played almost 2 decades for them, just shut up and throw type thing, is a thought process that will lose. Not every player deserves it, but when you see a team like the Cardinals getting input from Kyler, who has done nothing compared to Rodgers, you see that GB is somewhat stuck in the past, on a model that worked for a long time, but is outdated. Guys like Brady/Rodgers, Wilson etc., are elite players with tons of experience. Not seeking their advice on certain issues would be downright stupid.

In regards to your "screw the team" comment. You are right, MT's body, his choice. But when they recommend surgery, he doesn't get it, goes against the advice, and then ends up having surgery months later, they obviously have the right to be upset about it, as it's now costing him games that they pay him for. The idea they are "doing everything they can" to smear his reputation is ridiculous. They've done nothing of the sort beyond saying he should have had the surgery sooner, which is what they recommended in the first place.
Well said.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:27 am

I traded my shares of MT as soon as the 2020 season ended.
I'm no big fan of MT as a person, and I don't particularly dislike him either. I only know him from what I see on tv and that's not enough for me to like or dislike him.
No team has a legal or moral right to insist that any employee get surgery just because the team says so.
TEAM 1:

TEAM 2:
2023 semifinals loser

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:49 am

Anteaters wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:27 am I traded my shares of MT as soon as the 2020 season ended.
I'm no big fan of MT as a person, and I don't particularly dislike him either. I only know him from what I see on tv and that's not enough for me to like or dislike him.
No team has a legal or moral right to insist that any employee get surgery just because the team says so.
I agree but I have never heard of any team insist legally or morally that a player get surgery.

I can't imagine the Saints did this.