Is Collins underrated or do the experts know something?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
keebs3
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Is Collins underrated or do the experts know something?

Postby keebs3 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:27 pm

What is the deal with Alex Collins? If last year had been his rookie season he'd be ranked up there with the top of the class from 2017. But since he was cut from Seattle people seem to not trust his situation. Then there is Dixon...

What is the deal here? Is he a buy low, or sell high?
The Usurpers-10 team-.5PPR-1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 1FLEX
Adopted/Rebuilt 2016-2017 | 2018 Runner up

QB: Deshaun Watson -Cam Newton | Baker Mayfield | Daniel Jones
RB: Saquon Barkley | David Johnson -Breida | Duke | Armstead | D. Harris | J. Samuels
WR: DeAndre Hopkins | Keenan Allen | Stefon Diggs -Christian Kirk | JJAW | James Washington | Hurd
TE: Hunter Henry -Austin Hooper | Irv Smith Jr.

Warriors of the Scarlet Eye-10 team-PPR-Best Ball League-2QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 2FLEX
Est. 2017 | 2018 League Champion :trophy: | 2019 Runner up

QB: Russell Wilson | Baker Mayfield -Carson Wentz
RB: Joe Mixon | Dalvin Cook | Nick Chubb -Mark Ingram | Royce Freeman | Justice Hill | Matt Breida | Bernard | Jonathan Williams
WR: Davante Adams | Mike Evans | Julio Jones -Sammy Watkins | John Brown | DeVante Parker | Deebo Samuel | Nelson Agholor | Terry McLaurin
TE: Evan Engram -Hunter Henry | Ian Thomas | Jacob Hollister

ImaRounder
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Is Collins underrated or do the experts know something?

Postby ImaRounder » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:39 pm

Buy low keebs. My only knock on Collins predraft was his agility. Apparently that river dancing crap cured it.

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:44 am

Last year was probably his best case scenario on a per game basis. Granted, that is not bad at all! But he doesn’t have the ceiling to run for 1500 yards & catch 60+ balls.

He’s better than a plodder, but he’s not special. And that’s the trouble, is that being a non-special RB means you’re CONSTANTLY at risk of being overtaken by another back - if you ever get hurt, get suspended, start fumbling, etc.

We have seen it with Thomas Rawls, Spencer Ware, Matt Jones, and many others.

I like Collins. A lot! He’s fun to watch, and I am a glad owner of him. But I’ll always be watching over his shoulder, in case of any hiccups.
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

Plank
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Plank » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:43 am

Can't argue with his opportunity .. might sell after this year, but all systems looks like a go ..

Warren Sharp is all over him
@PlankMelody

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:10 am

Collins sure looks like a solid player. I see him as a start quality RB3/Flex with RB2 upside. Not a player I own or target but his owners should be happy to have him.

Expect 235-250 total touches this season. I could see selling him but think his current production potential is probably higher than market price. Mid season to next year buy/sell. Today he is a strong Hold type.

Value looks to be a C. Hogan type max as a player trade to a RB needy team.

His risk IMO is not a lot of receiving ability and has some ball security issues. 4 Fumbles last year in 15 games and 6 fumbles in 243 carries is a concern.
Last edited by Ice on Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

moishetreats
Legend
Legend

Postby moishetreats » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:34 am

The proverbial elephant in the room isn't about how he's rated or ranked or about his productive season last year. The real question is what he is going to do in the FUTURE.

Had he been a high draft pick, then we would confident of his role this year and moving forward. Given that he had been cut already from one team, it's less about whether Collins is underrated or whether the experts know something than a simple reflection of the uncertainty of the reliability of his future role.

Odds are that he'll move up a half-dozen spots by the end of the year or down at least a dozen. It's that murkiness that lands his value where it is -- underrated by his performance last year but overrated given his flash-in-the-pan possibility.
10 tms 27 plrs PPR
Start: 2QB 2RB 3WR 2TE 2Flex / best ball

QB: Herbert, Love, Rodgers, G Smith, Stidham, T Taylor, Hall
RB: McCaffrey, Mixon, Pacheco, Montgomery, Z White, Allgeier, Dillon
WR: Hill, St. Brown, Kupp, Allen, Lockett, B Johnson
TE: Kelce, Kmet, Kraft, Okonkwo, Dulcich, Tremble

2024: 2.09, 3.07, 3.08, 3.10, 4.08
2025: 2nd (x2), 4th, 5th (x2)
2026: 1st, 2nd (x2), 3rd, 4th, 5th

12 tms 22 active plyrs. Salary Cap $300 PPR
Start: 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1SF 1Flex / best ball

QB: Lawrence (contract through 2026), Love ('24), Rodgers ('24), Stidham ('25), Lock ('25)
RB: Bijan Robinson ('25), Pollard ('27), Dillon ('24), Rodriguez ('24), Spiller ('24)
WR: G Wilson ('26), AJ Brown ('26), DJ Montgomery ('25)
TE: --
2024 Cap Spent: $186

IR: --
TAXI SQUAD (4 max): --

Slackalacker
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Slackalacker » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:58 am

To me Collins doesn’t seem like a guy who can be a bellcow longterm. I’d be happy if I happened to have him on my team as an RB2/3 but I’d never pay the asking price. Same goes for people like McKinnon, Drake, or Ajayi.

I try to look at career longevity as a starter and Alex doesn’t strike my as an exceptional talent who will hold off the inevitable talented rookie that comes in at some point. I could see him as a decent journeyman in 3-4 years. The problem with RB is one or two great seasons doesn’t equate to a great long career. That’s why I don’t like to pay for players like him and would rather sell.
TEAM 1 - 10 team SF 1PPR | 2017 & 2019 League Champ
1QB/1SF/2RB/2WR/1TE/2FLEX
QB: Dak - Hurts - DangeRuss - Tua - Z Wilson - Mills
RB: Barkley - Zeke - Sanders - Pollard - Patterson - D’Ernest - Jermar - Evans - Jones
WR: Hill - JJeff - Higgins - Hollywood - MThom(IR) - Godwin(IR) - E Moore - Marshall Jr - Calloway - Palmer - D Brown
TE: Hock - Moreau

Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Patsfan86 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:56 am

Not a good look for him last night or the week before. IDK whether to blame it on game script or if this is turning into an RBBC. Harbaugh has also not shown much trust in Buck Allen over the years so very unsure what to make of all this. I think im gonna avoid this situation next time out.

grandmabetty
Captain
Captain

Postby grandmabetty » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:33 am

He looked fine last game. if anything he has shown some improvement in the passing game. I don't like that Allen was in on the goal line for one drive but the next time they were at the 1 yard line it was Collins in there. He has underperformed because of the way these two games have played out. The 1st game it was a blowout and Harbaugh pulled starters knowing they had a Thursday night game coming up. This last game Baltimore was down big early which forced Harbaugh to rely on his passing down back Allen much more. I'll admit I was hoping for more out of Collins fantasy wise then he has produced so far but I don't think its his fault. With Dixon being placed on the IR its his job to lose. I don't see Buck Allen usurping him on the depth chart. Last year they were ranked #19 and #20 in PPR scoring. It could turn into more of a committee which would be unfortunate but lets wait to see what happens when Baltimore gets a lead and wants to milk the clock a bit

Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Patsfan86 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:36 am

The catches by Collins were extremely encouraging I will say that and its not like he looked awful. He just didn't get the opportunity which is frustrating. I own both Collins and Buck, may sell one, I was getting offered first for Collins and just worried I missed my shot. RBs are like gold in my league so I tend to hang onto them until if and when I get an overpay.

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:00 am

Weknownothing86 wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:56 am Not a good look for him last night or the week before. IDK whether to blame it on game script or if this is turning into an RBBC. Harbaugh has also not shown much trust in Buck Allen over the years so very unsure what to make of all this. I think im gonna avoid this situation next time out.
I thought he looked very good last night. The game script was working against him and the offensive play calling was abysmal. The use of Allen is confusing as well. But, Collins ran hard, caught the ball well, looked natural and smooth doing it. Made something out of nothing on a few occasions. Not sure how someone could watch the same game and say that it wasn't a good look for him last night. Situation isn't great due to time share, but, physically, Collins is the best they have and it isn't close.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

Krypto_King
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Krypto_King » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:03 am

when does Jimmy Smith return? Losing Mosley on D isn't going to help the run out the clock RB

grandmabetty
Captain
Captain

Postby grandmabetty » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:09 am

Krypto_King wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:03 am when does Jimmy Smith return? Losing Mosley on D isn't going to help the run out the clock RB
that's a good point. I own Buck and Collins both too. I wish I didn't have to think about which one to start but its trending in that direction. Buck is gonna need to outscore Collins for a few more weeks though before I pull one for the other. Hopefully Baltimore will figure it out and get back to ground and pound football.

Servo
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Servo » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:19 am

Collins' usage these first two weeks hasn't been pretty. A lot of people drafted him this year to be an RB2...and now they are having to worry about Buck Allen being the goal-line back again?

I've known that Buck was never just going to disappear but BAL's usage of Collins has been head-scratch worthy so far.

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:24 am

Krypto_King wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:03 am when does Jimmy Smith return? Losing Mosley on D isn't going to help the run out the clock RB
4 weeks I thought I heard them mention last night.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.