Davis Webb. What the hell happened?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
MrUbuto
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Davis Webb. What the hell happened?

Postby MrUbuto » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:14 pm

Guy was the clear heir apparent.. so I thought.

Thought he had a good preseason too. This is a surprise. I had him as a deep deep sleeper incase eli looks shitty again
QB - DWatson(HOU)Minshew(JAX)Darnold(NYJ)
RB -NChubb(CLE)DHenry(TEN)JTaylor(IND)Gurley(ATL)
WR -DHopkins(ARI)ACooper(DAL)CGodwin(TB)OBJ(CLE)
TE - HHenry(SD)DGoeddart(PHI)
K - Zurlien(LAR)Crosby(GB)
Def - ARI DAL
[rookie] Haskins(WAS)DSwift(DET)Jefferson(MIN)MHardman(KC)
7th pick in 2021

Rosters must always be 3qbs 4wrs 4rbs 2tes 2kickers 2dst and protected players don't take up a roster spot, but are only for rookie/2nd-year players that were drafted

notweswelker
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Davis Webb. What the hell happened?

Postby notweswelker » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:23 pm

As a NYGs fan I think the narrative got ahead of the reality here.
52% completion, 53 attempts to just get to 280 yards, 1 td no ints.
News from camp was that he was a little improved from last season but wasn't exactly setting things on fire.
Just my two cents, but he looked a little better than Lauletta (not saying much really), but as a mediocre remaining piece from the previous administration he made an easy cut.

MrUbuto
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby MrUbuto » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:35 pm

0LDMAN wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:23 pm As a NYGs fan I think the narrative got ahead of the reality here.
52% completion, 53 attempts to just get to 280 yards, 1 td no ints.
News from camp was that he was a little improved from last season but wasn't exactly setting things on fire.
Just my two cents, but he looked a little better than Lauletta (not saying much really), but as a mediocre remaining piece from the previous administration he made an easy cut.
Hmmm too bad. Inwas rooting for him
QB - DWatson(HOU)Minshew(JAX)Darnold(NYJ)
RB -NChubb(CLE)DHenry(TEN)JTaylor(IND)Gurley(ATL)
WR -DHopkins(ARI)ACooper(DAL)CGodwin(TB)OBJ(CLE)
TE - HHenry(SD)DGoeddart(PHI)
K - Zurlien(LAR)Crosby(GB)
Def - ARI DAL
[rookie] Haskins(WAS)DSwift(DET)Jefferson(MIN)MHardman(KC)
7th pick in 2021

Rosters must always be 3qbs 4wrs 4rbs 2tes 2kickers 2dst and protected players don't take up a roster spot, but are only for rookie/2nd-year players that were drafted

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:28 am

MrUbuto wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:14 pm Guy was the clear heir apparent.. so I thought.

Thought he had a good preseason too. This is a surprise. I had him as a deep deep sleeper incase eli looks shitty again
No he didn’t, I watched and he was horrible. In your defense, I had read on Twitter he had a good preseason... which is nonsense of course

Servo
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Servo » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:04 am

Was never a fan of his once he was drafted, and don't own any shares.

I think this is yet another example of us getting starstruck by the landing spot rather than actual talent. I like to follow analytics for QB prospects and Webb wasn't all that impressive dating back to his high school production days.

theone
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby theone » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:07 am

The large majority of long-term starting quarterbacks in the NFL are drafted in the first two rounds of the NFL draft with most being selected in the first round. Players drafted after the first two rounds are typically not "heir apparents" but projects who usually end up as backups at best. This is a nice reminder.

notweswelker
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby notweswelker » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:16 am

theone wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:07 am The large majority of long-term starting quarterbacks in the NFL are drafted in the first two rounds of the NFL draft with most being selected in the first round. Players drafted after the first two rounds are typically not "heir apparents" but projects who usually end up as backups at best. This is a nice reminder.
True but the ones who make it represent incredible value in dynasty, especially SF & 2QB. Chad Kelly in the 7th round last year could easily be fantasy relevant, Dak Prescott in the late 4th 2016 is absolutely relevant, Kirk Cousins in the 4th round, Russell Wilson in the 3rd, Tyrod Taylor in the 6th, just to sum up the recent lists. There have been others relevant but with less sticking power as well.
Most of those guys were 3rd-4th round rookie picks AT BEST in SF dynasty drafts. Your statement is absolutely true, but it's still a game we have to play because missing out entirely is costing us a ton of value.

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:18 am

He was a mediocre prospect at best. Reese is out of the job for a reason, horrible third round pick. He did the same thing with Ryan Nassib. Webb started off a preseason game 0/8......

Don't sleep on Lauletta. I'm a happy owner in a 12 team SF.

motherlode
Role Player
Role Player

Postby motherlode » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:37 am

When the Giants benched Eli last year they started Geno Smith over Webb. That should have been a huge red flag.

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:39 am

motherlode wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:37 am When the Giants benched Eli last year they started Geno Smith over Webb. That should have been a huge red flag.
Can't see a red flag when wearing rose-colored glasses

Did I just blow your mind?

remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby remedy29 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:02 pm

MrUbuto wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:14 pm Guy was the clear heir apparent.. so I thought.

Wasn't it very clear what the Giants thought of Webb after they drafted Kyle Lauletta in the 4th round this year? Obviously they were not very high on Webb.

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:17 pm

Webb had a new offense after one year in the league. The new regime had zero patience for him and didn't see him as a fit, so drafted his replacement and sent him packing.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:07 pm

No matter how good Saquon Barkley becomes, the Giants will look back at this draft and kick themselves in the bleep for it. They sacrificed the chance to get an heir apparent franchise QB...to draft a RB....#2 overall.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:12 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:07 pm No matter how good Saquon Barkley becomes, the Giants will look back at this draft and kick themselves in the bleep for it. They sacrificed the chance to get an heir apparent franchise QB...to draft a RB....#2 overall.
Yep.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:31 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:07 pm No matter how good Saquon Barkley becomes, the Giants will look back at this draft and kick themselves in the bleep for it. They sacrificed the chance to get an heir apparent franchise QB...to draft a RB....#2 overall.
Absolutely correct and I said as much before the draft. This was their golden opportunity in a deep QB class to get rid of a middling, declining Manning ASAP. Instead they invest in a running back. The organization is going no where fast, regardless of what Barkley does for his fantasy owners.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.