2016 Wide Receiver Class in Review after 2 years

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

2016 Wide Receiver Class in Review after 2 years

Postby ArrylT » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:09 pm

A list of every WR who was a rookie in 2016 and their current status / value. Feel free to chime in with your thoughts on either specific WRs or the class as a whole. Most of my comments are what I think is the consensus is on each player. As are the valuations added.

1.15 - Corey Coleman
Most would agree he has struggled, had several injuries, and occasional flashes
Traded to Buffalo for a 2020 7th.

My additional Take: Coleman reminds me of DGB & Watkins. DGB in that a team shows that they will take just about anything for a player they no longer want on their roster, and Watkins in that getting traded at this time means its going to take time to get acclimatized to a new system, play book and QB chemistry. Basically if you do not own him now and still believe, you could buy cheap later unless held by another believer - but he could be out of the league soon too ala DGB.

Worth: 3rd?

1.21 - Will Fuller
Most would agree he has struggled at times, had several injuries, and frequent flashes. Likely considered by many to be a Boom/Bust WR because his target share is capped by Hopkins, but he can still have a 4-100-1 type game.

Worth: 2nd to late 1st?

1.22 - Josh Doctson
Lost most of rookie year to injury. That, being an older rookie, and an unsettled role (who is the WR1 in Washington - Doctson? Richardson? Crowder? Reed) likely has few owners trying to buy him unless cheap.

Worth: 2nd to late 1st?

1.23 - Laquon Treadwell
Stuck behind Thielen and Diggs - many have already labeled him a bust and moved on. Off-season hype has been building, but whether that is warranted has yet to be determined.

Worth: 3rd?

2.40 - Sterling Shepard
Some would consider him the forgotten man. I believe he had the best Rookie year after Michael Thomas, but was injured mid-way thru his 2nd year. The rise of Engram, addition of Barkley, and the potential long-term of Odell probably means Shepard is considered by many a complementary boring depth asset due to a capped upside - sort of like a Marqise Lee, Kenny Stills or Nelson Agholor.

Worth: 2nd to late 1st

2.47 - Michael Thomas
The 6th WR drafted, was rarely taken before 1.06 in rookie drafts - making many a contending team even richer. Back-2-Back WR1 seasons has Michael Thomas in 1st round ADP, and if Brees can stick around for a couple of years, or transition well to another QB, he could perhaps reach Hopkins level pricing?

Worth: 3 1sts?

2.55 - Tyler Boyd
The DLF community did not seem impressed with this selection, apart from a small barely vocal minority, and so far their disregard seems to have been warranted. Even with the departure of LaFell, there has been barely a peep from Boyd owners, as the majority seem John Ross is the heir apparent. Does Boyd have any value?

Worth: 4th?

3.85 - Braxton Miller
Did you know it took fellow QB convert Edelman 4 years to become Bradys favorite WR? Regardless of this fun fact, most owners likely do not expect Miller to stick with the Texans long enough to develop that level of chemistry with Watson.

3.86 - Leontee Carroo
Why did the Dolphins trade up to draft him many owners wondered - and are still wondering. As with Boyd, most owners have long since moved on.

Worth: 5th?

My Additional take: If the Dolphins cut him, imho this is further proof that they are not a good organization. Not because Carroo has done much to warrant it - but because that is the tact of a fantasy owner - to give up on a player before they can fully develop their talent. The mark of a good organization is to (a) draft players that fit their system or (b) can be coached to fit the system or (c) at least look the part so that they can be traded for something (See Patriots or Steelers as example). Maybe Carroo is not an elite player, but why do some teams find ways to turn their draft picks into useable assets (Steelers, Packers, Giants, and so forth) but other teams - coughDolphinscough end up casting them aside (Wes Welker, Ajayi, Landry, Lamar Miller, Rishard Matthews, Ginn) and having to spend mucho $$$ on other teams discards (Albert Wilson, Danny Amendola).

4.107 - Chris Moore
I think he is with the Ravens. Do you care?

Worth: waiver monitor

4.112 - Malcolm Mitchell
Injuries have derailed another promising career to the point that the Patriots have cut him.

Worth: waiver monitor

4.114 - Ricardo Louis
Meh.

4.117 - Pharoh Cooper
I believe he is a depth role player on the Rams - do you care?
May have value in leagues with Return Yardage.

4.126 - Demarcus Robinson
Has shown occasional flashes - is a depth chart stash just in case for many owners.

5.140 - Tajae Sharpe
I would love to hear from all the owners who spent a 1st or 2nd round pick on Sharpe (either via draft or trade) after his off-season hype in 2016.

5.154 - Jordan Payton
I think off-field actions got him cut from Browns

5.163 - Trevor Davis
Maybe a Packers fan can enlighten us with Davis value. Doubtful.

5.165 - Tyreek Hill
Tyreek Hill is why teams like the Bengals spent a 2nd on Joe Mixon - because talent can outweigh off-field concerns. Hill has repaid his believers 10x. But can he repeat again? After Michael Thomas he is the 2nd most valuable WR from the 2016 class.

Worth: 2 1sts?

5.172 - Rashard Higgins
Likely has more use in the Kevin Ogletree thread than on your roster. Remember that day in 2017 when you or a leaguemate rushed to add him to your roster because of a game on the Browns? I hope you/they got something for him.

6.180 - Moritz Boehringer
Is now a TE with a guaranteed spot until end of pre-season. Then what?

6.182 - Keenan Reynolds
No comment

6.186 - Jakeem Grant
I believe he is on some deep league rosters - maybe.

6.192 - Kolby Listenbee
Great name.

6.199 - Colby Core
See J. Grant

6.206 - Mike Thomas
Not Michael Thomas.

My Additional take: I actually recall some - who pre NFL Draft - felt this was the more talented of the 2 M. Thomas's. Maybe he could be (cue the majority of DLF laughing their heads off). But what he is not is in any position to prove it. I am not even sure if he is still with the Rams. What goes to show you is that College Talent does not mean NFL Talent, and even if it did - the road is friggen hard and you have to have a lot to go your way - and be as hard a worker as the Michael Thomas to succeed.

The rest arent worth mentioning and I didnt care to go chase down the UDFA WRs. Feel free to do so if you wish and I will add.
Last edited by ArrylT on Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Re: 2016 Wide Receiver Class in Review after 2 years

Postby MEuRaH » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:17 pm

The only WRs I took in this draft were Doctson & Thomas. I took Thomas in all my drafts and Doctson in only a couple. It's too bad what happened to Doctson, and while he could still rebound, it's do or die this year I think.

I traded Thomas away in all my leagues. I don't think he's all that great tbh. Brees is one of the most-accurate QBs to ever play the game. Thomas has above average hands, size, speed, and route running. Brees is taking a good WR and making him great. When Brees finally declines or retires, Michael Thomas is going to fall back down to Earth.

This is the saddest draft class ever. So much promise, so much WR talent, yet so under-whelming all the way through. It's crazy, but I think 5th rounder Tyreek Hill will end up with the best career of all these guys.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

Rosenbluu
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Rosenbluu » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:31 pm

I didn’t draft any of these guys except for Hill in one league and that’s cause I saw how fast he was in college. (played vs him when he transferred to West Alabama)

Actually surprised I didn’t draft any since I like building around WRs rather than RBs.
12 Team PPR
QB/2RB/3WR/TE/Flex
QB: Mahomes/Jones
RB: Mixon/Chubb/Mostert/Burkhead/McKinnon
WR: Wilson/JuJu/Marquise/Mooney/Campbell/Dotson/Osborn/Julio/Tolbert/Shakir/Metchie
TE: Andrews/Hurst

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:34 pm

Mike Thomas looked great in college, the issue was it was against inferior competition. What we saw on tape didn't translate to the combine, which was a big issue for me. His style of play wasn't likely to translate and I didn't draft him anywhere after initially being enamored by his college tape.

Overall this class is depressing. I whiffed pretty hard on Michael Thomas, thought he was just OK, although I chalk some of that to going to a team with an elite QB and offensive scheme. But, gotta give credit where credit is due.

Tyler Boyd also depresses me. Elite route runner, but just doesn't have the size/strength/athleticism to actually get open. It's a complete waste of natural talent.

Doctson had the least warts I thought of the bunch, but the one ding on him reared it's head in the nfl, his slight frame and susceptibility to injuries. He wasn't the best route runner but I thought good enough given all his other attributes.

I was always down on Treadwell vs consensus, caught a lot of heat for it unfortunately. Didn't think he'd be an outright bust, but was pretty confident he was not going to be "the next Dez Bryant" type of stud.

Martpe
Captain
Captain

Postby Martpe » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:43 pm

Nice summery :thumbup:
Endorse most of the reflection.

However, there is always a positive. While this class looks hopeless there must be at least 1-2 hidden gems in term of value.
Personally, I am “buying” Boyd at current price. Or more correct, I picked him up via the waiver in 4 of 5 leagues this off season. I think he still has the opportunity to become a flex/buy-week fill in. I will take it for free/a roster spot.

I would probably also take Fuller for an early 2nd/late first, but in my leagues no one is selling for less than mid-first value :(
Team 1, 0.5 PPR SuperFlex: QB, FlexQB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, Flex
QB: Watson, Herbert (Mariota)
RB: Barkley, Jacobs, Dobbins (Akers, K Herbert)
WR: DJ Moore, Woods, Golladay (T Patrick, Shenault, Rondale M, Cephus)
TE: Goedert (Njoku, Bryant, Trautman)
Pick 1.01

zelldawg26
Role Player
Role Player

Postby zelldawg26 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:19 am

Picked up Boyd via waivers as well. I figure I might as well give him a shot since he's free. Between the 2 guys that are the cheapest to either buy or pickup in their 3rd year at WR, it's Boyd and Treadwell, and both have gone up the depth charts on their teams with LaFell finally gone and Treadwell taking the start over Humphries. We'll see, but my money is on Boyd this year making the bigger splash.
24 Player Roster/12 Team/PPR/IDP/PPT(Point Per Tackle)
4 player Taxi Squad

QB- Aaron Rodgers, Winston
RB- Monty, Ajayi, Ingram, Duke, Booker, Burkhead, Collins, Foreman, Breida
WR- Cooks, A-Rob, TY, Funchess, MBryant, Godwin, MWilliams, Golladay
TE-Engram
PK- M.Crosby
LB- CJ Mosley, L David
DE- Fowler, Okafor
DB- Clinton-Dix, Rashad Jones

24 player roster/12 team/0.5 PPR/IDP/4 player Taxi

QB- Luck, Carr, Bortles
RB- Zeke, Hyde, McKinnon, Henry, A Jones, Drake, Foreman, Booker, Dixon
WR- Evans, Hilton, ARob, Cooper, Watkins, Shepard, C Davis, Gordon, Doctson
TE-Olsen, Kittle
PK- Whatever
DE- Okafor, Hunter
LB- Buccanon, Mack
S- Baker, Mathieu

Servo
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Servo » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:21 am

It's probably safe to say that most people who drafted WR early took some order of: Doctson/Coleman/Treadwell and as of today, they've been burned. You could make the case that Doctson has the most potential to get his career back on track, while Coleman has shown at least more than Treadwell in flashes.

Shepard had a relatively good year in 2016 as a rookie and had a couple of big games in 2017..only to falter to injury most of the season. He's a guy that has Top 25/Top 30 upside and that's about it....but most people who drafted him, I imagine, were aware of that.

Fuller has been a guy who was criminally picked apart during the draft process and fell into the 2nd Round a lot. Unfortunately, his career so far has been incredibly frustrating due to injuries and succumbing to crap QB play from Osweiler after the wheels fell off and Savage once Watson went down. If Fuller and Watson can maintain the connection and him adding some weight helps his durability...Fuller is the type of guy that has Top 15 potential. Not terrible for a 2nd round pick IMO.

Thomas and Tyreek, I mean, no real point on dwelling on either of these two but recognizing that everyone who drafted Tyreek got him for peanuts.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:02 am

Anyone who draftedna WR early since 2014 likely has some form of regret.

Life of Pablo
Starter
Starter

Postby Life of Pablo » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:36 am

Phaded wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:02 am Anyone who draftedna WR early since 2014 likely has some form of regret.
Lol ain't that the truth. Let's compare 2016 vs 2014 for fun.

2016:

1.015 - Corey Coleman
1.021 - Will Fuller
1.022 - Josh Doctson
1.023 - Laquon Treadwell
2.040 - Sterling Shepard
2.047 - Michael Thomas
2.055 - Tyler Boyd
3.085 - Braxton Miller
3.086 - Leontee Carroo
4.107 - Chris Moore
4.112 - Malcolm Mitchell
4.114 - Ricardo Louis
4.117 - Pharoh Cooper
4.126 - Demarcus Robinson
5.140 - Tajae Sharpe
5.154 - Jordan Payton
5.163 - Trevor Davis
5.165 - Tyreek Hill
5.172 - Rashard Higgins
6.180 - Moritz Boehringer
6.182 - Keenan Reynolds
6.186 - Jakeem Grant
6.192 - Kolby Listenbee
6.199 - Colby Core
6.206 - Mike Thomas
6.213 - Aaron Burbridge
7.225 - Devin Lucien
7.229 - Demarcus Ayers
7.230 - Daniel Braverman
7.238 - Devin Fuller
7.241 - Charone Peake
7.243 - Kenny Lawler
UDFA - Alex Erickson
UDFA - Chester Rogers
UDFA - Robby Anderson
UDFA - Tanner McEvoy

2014:

1.004 - Sammy Watkins
1.007 - Mike Evans
1.012 - Odell Beckham
1.020 - Brandin Cooks
1.028 - Kelvin Benjamin
2.039 - Marqise Lee
2.042 - Jordan Matthews
2.045 - Paul Richardson
2.053 - Davante Adams
2.056 - Cody Latimer
2.061 - Allen Robinson
2.063 - Jarvis Landry
3.086 - Josh Huff
3.090 - Donte Moncrief
3.091 - John Brown
4.104 - Jalen Saunders
4.106 - Bruce Ellington
4.115 - Shaq Evans
4.118 - Martavis Bryant
4.123 - Kevin Norwood
5.142 - Ryan Grant
5.146 - Devin Street
5.176 - Jared Abbrederis
6.185 - Robert Herron
6.189 - TJ Jones
6.190 - Matt Hazel
6.196 - Walt Powell
6.209 - Quincy Enunwa
7.218 - Michael Campanaro
7.236 - Jeff Janis
7.239 - James Wright
7.240 - Tevin Reese
7.244 - Jeremy Gallon
UDFA - Corey "Philly" Brown
UDFA - Willie Snead
UDFA - Allen Hurns
10-team standard, 18-man rosters (plus K/D + 1 IR + 2 TAXI)
1QB | 2RB | 2WR | 1TE | 1FLEX
2021: 8-6, 5th (AP: 76-50 / 60.3%, 3rd) ||| Runner-up
2022: 5-1, 2nd (AP: 47-7 / 87.0%, 1st)

QB: Hurts, Russ, Carr
RB: Chubb, Pierce, Swift, JRob, D'Ernest, Ford
WR: Diggs, Evans, GDavis, Nuk, Keenan, Hollywood, Mooney, CSamuel, Doubs
TE: Kelce, Dulcich, Fant
2023 Picks: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th
2024 Picks: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:16 am

UDFA of some note
JD McKissic
Geronimo Allison maybe?
Chester Rogers
Robby Anderson
I might be missing some...

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:21 am

Pablo, you could probably lump the 2015-2017 all together in your comparison, and maybe highlight the relevant WR's from each class so it's easier to digest.

DLF3000
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby DLF3000 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:41 pm

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:34 pm Overall this class is depressing.
I remember trying to trade up in the early 2nd for Thomas as he was falling a bit. I had already traded my 1st too before the rookie draft for Forte - which also failed - like nearly all of these wideouts would have. The guy who traded me Forte took Doctston, so... :shrug:
35 Team Dyn PPR, 3 x Copy SF start 2TE Super Prem (TE 2 PPR, 8pt TD), 6 pt/non-TE TD, 1pt/20 yds pass (300 +3pt), 1pt/10 yds rush/rec (100 +3pt)

Start 12: 1QB 1SFLX 2RB 4WR 2TE 2FLX | 30 Active Roster, unlim Taxi, 3 IR/Out (+) | est. '21 | playoffs '21, '22

QB - J Allen, T Lawrence ...
RB - A Ekeler, S Barkley, J Cook, I Pacheco ...
WR - AJ Brown, C Ridley, G Pickens, C Sutton ...
TE - D Njoku, D Knox ...
® 2024 - | 2025 -

n20
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby n20 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:52 pm

ArrylT wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:09 pm
2.47 - Michael Thomas
The 6th WR drafted, was rarely taken before 1.06 in rookie drafts - making many a contending team even richer.
Perfect assessment on Thomas. I had won the previous year and didn't have Thomas high on my board, but he was best player available at 1.12 and I picked him, I haven't looked back since. But now, I'm starting to consider putting him on the block with Brees era ending on the horizon...
12 team .5PPR super-flex | Championship 2015, 2017
1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1SF, 1flex, K, D/ST
QB: Brees, Wilson | Rosen, Darnold
RB: Gurley, Freeman | D.Williams, Drake, Breida, Foreman
WR: OBJ, M.Thomas, Juju | Alshon, Godwin, Tre'Quan, Samuel
TE: Howard | Brate, I.Thomas, Higbee

12 team .5PPR super-flex
1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1SF, 1flex, K, D/ST
QB: Ryan, Goff | Trubisky, Rosen
RB: Conner, Chubb, | D.Williams, A .Jones, Royce, Ballage, Love, B.Anderson
WR: Hopkins, M.Thomas, Juju | Boyd, Sutton
TE: Howard | Irv, Shaheen

Unicorn92
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Unicorn92 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:55 pm

Terrible draft class I am still mad not to have draft Thomas that said
I play in an idp dynasty keeper league 10 teams with 1 qb start in a ppr league 2 en 2 wr 1te 1 flex. This is a roster of 35 players and a ts of 5 players in mfl and this is a ppr league

Roster

QB: D. Jones, B. Mayfield
RB: S.Barkley, M.Breida, T. Cohen D.Johnson, J. Williams, B. Scarborough
WR: B.Cooks, C.Goodwin, K. Allen, T.Lockett, C. Kirk, M. Williams, D. Westbrook, A. Miller
TE: C. Herndon, R. Griffin, I. Thomas
K C.Boswell
DL M. Davenport, F. Clark, S. Hubbard,
LB M. D. Jones, L. Vander Esch, R. Evans, M. Milano, H. Landry, J. Baker
DB: B.Baker, J. Bates, J. Peppers

Practice squad: P. Williams, T. Rapp, C. Ferrell, E. Oliver, B. Cashman

hockeyBjj
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby hockeyBjj » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:43 pm

n20 wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:52 pm 2.47 - Michael Thomas
The 6th WR drafted, was rarely taken before 1.06 in rookie drafts - making many a contending team even richer.
What's funny is in my league, a guy took Michael Thomas at 1.3 that year and got laughed at in group chat

Guess who won our league last year and looks to be favored to repeat?

If you have a strong gut feeling and something else backs it up, throw consensus rankings out and let er rip
Team 1- 10 team ppr, 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flx, 1D, 1K
2022: 1-8
Finishes: 6th, 6th, 1st, 5th, 6th, 9th
QB: Lamar Jackson, Purdy
RB: Bijan, Dobbins, Achane, Charbonnet, Algier, McBride, waiver trash
WR: JSN, QJ, Addison, Dotson, Skyy Moore, Jameson Williams, Hyatt, T Dell, Boutte, Skowronek, Quez Watkins, Greg Dortch, waiver trash
TE: Hockenson, F Monroe, Juwan, Musgrave
D/K: Patriots, Vikings, Saints, Dicker

picks-
2024- 1,1,1,1,2,2,2,3,3,4,5,5
2025 1,1,1,2,3,4,5

team 2- 12 team SF, .5PPR, .5TE boost, 1QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex
2022: 8-1
Finishes: 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd :wall:
QB: Ljax, GenoD Jones, Minshew, Dobbs
RB: CMC, Stevenson, A Jones, Chubb, A Mattison, D cook, Perine, Mckinnon,
WR:Tyreek, Diggs, C Kupp, D Adams, Keenan Allen, Lockett, Gallup, A Lazard, Hodgins
TE: Kelce, LaPorta, Irv Smith,
No picks until 2026 5th rounder lol