Ronnie Jones

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Servo
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Ronnie Jones

Postby Servo » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:08 am

There's plenty of data out there that suggests you're better off throwing darts at RBs late in your rookie drafts than 4th+ round receivers.

I'm sorry but RB is not that difficult of a position to play (compared to others on offense). Yes, there are intangibles like vision, power, burst, shiftiness and receiving ability that can make some a pure step above the rest but you see Late Rounders/UDFA all the time:

- Collins
- Howard
- Kelley
- Burkhead
- Crowell
- Ajayi
- Maybe Chris Carson

As of today, he's playing far better than Jones and should get the 1st opportunity. It's not farfetched that if he plays well enough, he will put a stranglehold on the job and be a steal for fantasy owners...now once 2018 is over, then you'll have to sweat bullets like those who had Alex Collins in 2017.

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:15 am

Servo wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:08 am There's plenty of data out there that suggests you're better off throwing darts at RBs late in your rookie drafts than 4th+ round receivers.

I'm sorry but RB is not that difficult of a position to play (compared to others on offense). Yes, there are intangibles like vision, power, burst, shiftiness and receiving ability that can make some a pure step above the rest but you see Late Rounders/UDFA all the time:

- Collins
- Howard
- Kelley
- Burkhead
- Crowell
- Ajayi
- Maybe Chris Carson

As of today, he's playing far better than Jones and should get the 1st opportunity. It's not farfetched that if he plays well enough, he will put a stranglehold on the job and be a steal for fantasy owners...now once 2018 is over, then you'll have to sweat bullets like those who had Alex Collins in 2017.
I'd say that basically all of the guys you listed aren't really notable other than maybe Howard. I don't see long-term assets there.

Metriculous
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Metriculous » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:26 am

@dynastyninja

What is long term in the world of running backs?

1 year?

2 years?

3 (getting funny now)?

The dynasty community as a whole is so far off on their valuation of running backs that it is laughable to me.
Eleventeen Time Champion of a Sad Little League
Jealous much? Of course you are.

(Insert Clever Team Name That May Contain Sexual Innuendo)
A bunch of league settings you won't read anyways....numbers and such

QB - A guy with only one or two good years left in the tank
RB1 - A guy who stands charged with several minor crimes (Guilty until proven, right?)
RB2 - Young guy that is only good because of his offensive line and workload
WR1 - A guy whose metrics make up for his stone hands
WR2 - A dude who is probably too short to catch the ball
TE - This guy played basketball, right?
DEF & K - I guess we are still doing this .. :wall: ...

Servo
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Servo » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:45 am

dynastyninja wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:15 amI'd say that basically all of the guys you listed aren't really notable other than maybe Howard. I don't see long-term assets there.
Correct, you're living off these guys "paycheck to paycheck" but I guarantee a few of them have helped win championships. I know Burkhead did for me last year, someone like Barber could be that in 2018.

ImaRounder
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ImaRounder » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:44 am

This conversation is getting good. Theres only a few guys that can be counted on every year to be three down backs. When you get past the second maybe third tier of backs, youre left with guys like barber, tevin coleman, blount, gore, thompson. The problem i have with Jones is he has all the agility and ability in space as you get in a PPR/3rd down/Change of pace back BUT he doesnt catch the ball. Which will severely limit his stats. Peyton Barber has cemented his position in the offense. The only question now is, will ronald jones or even a better fit quizz rodgers, take barbers place on third down.

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:50 am

Metriculous wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:26 am @dynastyninja

What is long term in the world of running backs?

1 year?

2 years?

3 (getting funny now)?

The dynasty community as a whole is so far off on their valuation of running backs that it is laughable to me.
3+

Please enlighten us with your wisdom

Metriculous
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Metriculous » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:55 am

As the poster above stated; there are VERY FEW yearly workhorse 3-down backs worth investing in.

I would gladly pay a small price each season for a Barber or Burkhead that will get me a season of production while everyone else stashes guys that will likely never see the field because they "might" someday get a shot on their 2nd team or 2nd contract.
Eleventeen Time Champion of a Sad Little League
Jealous much? Of course you are.

(Insert Clever Team Name That May Contain Sexual Innuendo)
A bunch of league settings you won't read anyways....numbers and such

QB - A guy with only one or two good years left in the tank
RB1 - A guy who stands charged with several minor crimes (Guilty until proven, right?)
RB2 - Young guy that is only good because of his offensive line and workload
WR1 - A guy whose metrics make up for his stone hands
WR2 - A dude who is probably too short to catch the ball
TE - This guy played basketball, right?
DEF & K - I guess we are still doing this .. :wall: ...

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:52 pm

FYI

(Rotoworld) Buccaneers RBs coach Tim Spencer said there's "probably a reason" second-round RB Ronald Jones wasn't more involved in USC's passing game.

Analysis: One of the knocks on Jones coming out of USC was his pass-catching ability (or lack thereof), and apparently the 21-year-old has made little progress in that regard. "In college, there’s probably a reason they only threw to him 17 times," said Spencer. "They’re working at it though." Jones, who has dropped both of his preseason targets, has fallen well behind Peyton Barber in Tampa Bay's backfield pecking order. Fantasy owners would be better off fading the rookie at this point.
(Article Link)
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:10 pm

His receiving struggles have surprised me so far. I really thought he was a capable enough pass-catcher. Hopefully it's just rookie jitters and he gets it out of his system soon.

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:29 pm

dynastyninja wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:10 pm His receiving struggles have surprised me so far. I really thought he was a capable enough pass-catcher. Hopefully it's just rookie jitters and he gets it out of his system soon.
Yeah. There wasn't much on his college film (that I watched at least) that would lead you to believe he couldn't have a role in the receiving game. Of course his overall usage in the passing game was abysmal, and so maybe the reason why he looked decent when he was out there was because he was asked to perform a really limited scope of duties. Overall Ronald Jones is really bizarre because I've seen other RB's struggle with vision, or struggle with slipping and falling in college but those problems don't follow them to the NFL so I've learned to discount them. But with Ronald Jones however, it seems his troubles have followed him... for now at least.

I'm not exactly sure in what context long-term is being discussed, but I'd say 3-5 years or so. That's for only the best of the best though. For the majority of Rb's, it's hard to project more than 1-2 years out.

mullmania
MVP
MVP

Postby mullmania » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:27 pm

Barber and Burkhead both on my recent startup team! Championship!! ;)

mullmania
MVP
MVP

Postby mullmania » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:27 pm

I'm actually starting Barber week 1. Not really kidding ;)

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby AussieMate » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:06 pm

Ice wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:52 pm FYI

(Rotoworld) Buccaneers RBs coach Tim Spencer said there's "probably a reason" second-round RB Ronald Jones wasn't more involved in USC's passing game.

Analysis: One of the knocks on Jones coming out of USC was his pass-catching ability (or lack thereof), and apparently the 21-year-old has made little progress in that regard. "In college, there’s probably a reason they only threw to him 17 times," said Spencer. "They’re working at it though." Jones, who has dropped both of his preseason targets, has fallen well behind Peyton Barber in Tampa Bay's backfield pecking order. Fantasy owners would be better off fading the rookie at this point.
(Article Link)
I came to post this as well, pretty damning, and not alot of ways to take it but negative.

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:05 pm

Ice wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:52 pm(Rotoworld) Buccaneers RBs coach Tim Spencer said there's "probably a reason" second-round RB Ronald Jones wasn't more involved in USC's passing game.
lol, wow. When a coach says something positive, I ignore it. Of course they are going to be positive, either because they mean it or because they want others to believe it (player included).

When a coach says something negative, I listen. This comment screams "HE WONT CATCH PASSES".
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:01 pm

I really hate to pile on. But in my limited experience in watching tape, I didnt get the hype on this kid. I went to watching highlight reels to see what the fuss was about. And in those clips he looks incredible. But those highlight clips cut out the great amount of other bad clips he has in regular tape watching. The icing on his "meh" cake is the fact he isnt very big. And to put a cherry on top of that cake is he looked pretty bad catching the ball in college.

What bothers me the most is Nick Whalen touting this guy as the clear 1.02 on the DTC podcast and at the same time constantly hammering Guice as way overrated. Here is a respected voice in the dynasty community broadcasting his opinion that Rojo is a super star, when its pretty obvious to see he isnt.