Is this forum a sad place in the off-season?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Is this forum a sad place in the off-season?

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:04 am

So the below exchange occurred in the "Freddog is a thief" thread.
GridironGuerilla wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:05 pm
ImaRounder wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:03 pm These forums are a sad place in the offseason
Absolutely this.
These are two fairly seasoned posters, and both think this forum is a sad place in the off-season. I wanted to take this premise and take a closer look at it, partly because I think this is a great topic to discuss and partly because I think they are wrong.

Ultimately, the activity at this forum ebbs and wanes during the off-season, with the summer doldrums setting in during the June and July months, which are clearly the slowest part of the off-season. Yet even during this period, there is still a fair amount of activity here, far far more than any other site out there.

Of course, activity alone does not determine whether a forum is a "happy" or a "sad" place. In recent weeks and months, we've had a ton of misplaced 'trade advice' threads, various threads by a troll and/or tool, and some other questionable activity, including the banning of Jloh without much cause or explanation and the above-mentioned "Freddog is a thief" thread, which has turned out to be a fairly defamatory posting by the OP, who has since disappeared.

I come here everyday as it's the only place that I know for off-season dynasty football discussion. Most other forums go dark between Week 17 and August (except for signs of life during free agency and the NFL Draft). Here, there is activity even in the middle of June!

I do regret the fact that the mods don't do more to patrol this place and keep things tidy. I also feel that various posters don't do enough to regulate things. If a troll is in our midst, don't post in his threads. And if someone is asking for trade advice, especially someone with 100s of posts to his name, give the guy some grief for posting in the from sub-forum. Don't humor the tool by giving him advice. That said, it shouldn't be up to posters to handle this. One active mod could move these threads and issue warnings. The same applies to some of the ad hominem crap that happens here ever so often.

Still, I don't think this subforum is a "sad" place. What's sad is those forums where there's no activity. Heck, we even have some sad sub-forums here. Just look into the College Player/Devy subforum.

M-Dub
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: Is this forum a sad place in the off-season?

Postby M-Dub » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:30 am

I don’t presume to speak for anyone, but I took both Rounder’s comment and Guerilla’s co-sign as more of a tongue-in-cheek response to a shitpost rather than a sweeping condemnation of these forums during the offseason.
Both are 12-team 1QB PPR dynasties

🦬PRIME🦬
QB: Hurts, Howell
RB: Mixon, Jones, Sanders, Dobbins, Akers, Roschon, Dowdle, Kelley
WR: Nuk, Godwin, Cooper, Lockett, Flowers, Chark, Collins, Hollins, Tillman, Tolbert
TE: Hockenson, Chig, Trautman
Taxi: Willis, Z. White, M. Mims, T. Palmer

Hull Awaits
$450 cap, 60 contract years

QB: Lawrence $5/3, Richardson $5/5, Minshew $1/0, Jones $1/0, Heinicke $1/0, Tyrod $1/0
RB: Achane $4/4, Warren $2/4, Roschon $7/5, Dillon $4/1, Hubbard $2/1, Kelley $1/0
WR: Nuk $78/1, MT $25/1, M. Williams $1/0, JSN $21/5, Reed $4/5, Rice $4/5, M. Wilson $2/5
TE: Thomas $1/0, Hill $1/0, Parham $1/0

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:06 am

I post less when the season is in full gear.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

DLF3000
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby DLF3000 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:51 am

M-Dub wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:30 am I don’t presume to speak for anyone, but I took both Rounder’s comment and Guerilla’s co-sign as more of a tongue-in-cheek response to a shitpost rather than a sweeping condemnation of these forums during the offseason.
Ha, while I agree, CoD is absolutely accurate about forum quality issues recently. Far more misplaced team advice posts than I ever remember was a great example. Agreed this subforum - which I've thoroughly enjoyed for years - could use more hammer drops.
35 Team Dyn PPR, 3 x Copy SF start 2TE Super Prem (TE 2 PPR, 8pt TD), 6 pt/non-TE TD, 1pt/20 yds pass (300 +3pt), 1pt/10 yds rush/rec (100 +3pt)

Start 12: 1QB 1SFLX 2RB 4WR 2TE 2FLX | 30 Active Roster, unlim Taxi, 3 IR/Out (+) | est. '21 | playoffs '21, '22

QB - J Allen, T Lawrence ...
RB - A Ekeler, S Barkley, J Cook, I Pacheco ...
WR - AJ Brown, C Ridley, G Pickens, C Sutton ...
TE - D Njoku, D Knox ...
® 2024 - | 2025 -

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:53 am

My only frustration with the off season is the repetitive nature of posts in team advice because owners don't bother to take the time to look at recent threads. I've been tempted many times to post a thread like, "I own 8 of the top 10 picks in this draft, who should I take?" just to see the number of replies I get...
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

GridironGuerilla
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby GridironGuerilla » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:09 am

M-Dub wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:30 am I don’t presume to speak for anyone, but I took both Rounder’s comment and Guerilla’s co-sign as more of a tongue-in-cheek response to a shitpost rather than a sweeping condemnation of these forums during the offseason.
It was. And while the content and the nature of the debates vary to a sometimes disappointing degree in the off season, there is still a lot of great content and opinion being discussed. Hell, I spend quite a bit of time here, and MORE so in the off season so I'm certainly not condemning it. There are those occasional threads however, that make one question the civility of this community that seem to spring up occasionally and more often when things are slow, and that was one of them for me.
"If on 4th down, the quarterback doesn't complete his pass, they will turn over the ball."

-Booger McFarlland

WhatWouldDitkaDo
GOAT
GOAT

Postby WhatWouldDitkaDo » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:30 am

If you have to ask the question... :lol:
Kittles Pox | Championships: 2015, 2017
12-Team PPR | QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DST
QB: Kyler Murray, Aaron Rodgers
RB: Christian McCaffrey, Melvin Gordon, James Conner, Phillip Lindsay, Tevin Coleman, Boston Scott, Benny Snell Jr.
WR: Tyreek Hill, Mike Evans, Cooper Kupp, Michael Gallup, Christian Kirk
TE: George Kittle, Travis Kelce | K: Younghoe Koo | DST: SF
PS: Mecole Hardman, Tony Pollard | 2020 Picks: 1.09, 2.10, 3.03 | 2021 Picks: 1st, 2nd

Johnny Canuck
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Johnny Canuck » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:42 am

Agree with "what's sad is those forums where there's no activity."

Any place where there is a semblance of offseason chatter/debate is not a sad place.

Friction
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Friction » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:00 am

There is a definite lull on the quality of off-season content and the same topics/players get rehashed. It happens. As far as more Mods being involved, that does not apply to me. Like anything else on the internet, I can choose to read, engage, or ignore, and I do not need some random adult protecting my eyes from bad words or arguments. I get the overall premise of some wanting to keep it civil and orderly, so not trying to offend those who need that "protection" online. Any forum or chat that is free will carry those risks unfortunately. It takes half a second to scroll past a post like that, but to each their own. I actually shake my head moreso at the people on here (lots of them) who get extremely offended, defensive, and argumentative if somebody does not value their favorite player or especially team. Though those topics actually draw me in as toilet-reading-material. My favorites, in no particular order, Christine Michael, Josh Gordon, Joe Mixon, Elliott, and for some reason Sam Bradford. The season is not that far away really, so before you know it this will be a booming place again.
Valhalla's Father
12 Team 1PPR 1QB/1-3RB/1-3 WR/1TE/1DST
QB:Brady
RB: Barkley, Chubb, Jacobs, Henry, Mack, Etienne
WR: Nuk, Thielen, Cooks, Diontae, Pittman, Gallup
TE: Henry

Lotto4Life
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Lotto4Life » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:21 am

No love for Ronnie Hillman?

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:38 am

ninotoreS wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:06 am I post less when the season is in full gear.
This for me as well. During the season, I'm much too busy with lineup decisions and waiver-wire combing to be posting much. The offseason is the time of year when I've actually got time to spend on the boards and engage in some conversation. But agree with the thoughts of others that in general the forums have become a bit more of a free-for-all over the past year. Jules is indeed missed.

Shout out to ArrylT though, he certainly has been doing his best this year to bring up topics for discussion and keep the boards lively.

The forums haven't declined to the point that they're "sad" at all, maybe things could use a bit of polish though?
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

evorzan
All Pro
All Pro

Postby evorzan » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:38 am

Tis a happy place.
Follow me @evorzan on Twitter
Formerly posting as Steveeb

ImaRounder
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ImaRounder » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:49 am

I believe my post was in the "freddog is a theif" thread (not sure). I was just referring to the post and collaterally generalized the forum. I wouldnt be on here every day if i thought that. But my gosh, what an awful thread topic.

I think i was also reading contrarion and serotonin's argument. Those two things compiled i guess.

dlf_jaronf
Administrator

Postby dlf_jaronf » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:44 am

There are absolutely ebbs and flows in the frequency of certain users posting in the forum. Being a "sad place" is certainly subjective, as this could relate to the volume or content of posts.

Moderating can be a tricky thing - with many forum users come different opinions, whether about the usefulness of a thread, location in which a topic should be posted, or level to which moderation should occur. For the most part, we leave the forums open and limit our intervention for disagreements and threads that could fall into multiple buckets. A topic may questionably fit into multiple forums, and there will be those who think it should be in Forum A as opposed to Forum B (or not created in the first place). It also brings up the question of whether there are too many (or not enough forums). Everyone has an opinion, and the vast majority of these (even when conflicting) are valid.

That said, it's impossible to please everyone - for example, we received a lot of requests for a new Superflex/2QB subforum. There were certainly pros and cons to creating this, but ultimately this niche forum was created to meet the overwhelming request (and has been heavily used in its short lifespan). Of course there was opposition to this, with the understandable perspective that many of the same questions in that forum could be in Dynasty Trade Advice, Dynasty League Discussion, or another relevant forum. Again, all opinions are valid, it was just determined that this would be a beneficial addition.

If you see issues in any of the forums or threads that should be addressed (ranging from spam to inappropriate posts to threads in the wrong forum), please feel free to report it. That is where moderators look first to address any problems. Addressing issues sometimes is black and white, but often falls into a gray area. Feel free to reach out to me if you feel something hasn't been addressed correctly or thoroughly, and I'd be glad to either fix it or explain why it was addressed the way it was.

Niceguy
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Niceguy » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:17 pm

Shoreline Steamers wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:38 am
ninotoreS wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:06 am I post less when the season is in full gear.
This for me as well. During the season, I'm much too busy with lineup decisions and waiver-wire combing to be posting much. The offseason is the time of year when I've actually got time to spend on the boards and engage in some conversation. But agree with the thoughts of others that in general the forums have become a bit more of a free-for-all over the past year. Jules is indeed missed.

Shout out to ArrylT though, he certainly has been doing his best this year to bring up topics for discussion and keep the boards lively.

The forums haven't declined to the point that they're "sad" at all, maybe things could use a bit of polish though?
What happened to Jules?
8 Team PPR: Start 2 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 2 RB/WR/TE, 1 K, 2 DL, 2 LB, 2 DB, 2 IDP Flex
Initial season 2011 - Champs 2011|2013|2019|2021 - Runner up 2020|2022
QB: Lamar, Dak, Herbert, Jordan Love, Bryce Young
RB: Chubb, Swift, Mixon, Montgomery, Pacheco, Brian Robinson, Rachaad White, Tyjae, Miles Sanders, Deuce Vaughn,
WR: Ja'Marr Chase, AJ Brown, Pittman, Kupp, Deebo, DJ Moore, Christian Watson, Godwin, QJ, Rashee Rice
TE: Kelce, Taysom
K:
EDR/IL: TJW, Parsons
LB: Zaire, K Murray, Okereke, Quay, Lloyd, Hicks
DB: Whitehead,

10 Team PPR league: Start 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 RB/WR, 1 Superflex, 1 D/ST
Initial Season: 2013 - Champs 2014|2016 - Runner up 2022
QB: Dak, Anthony Richardson, Geno Smith, Trey Lance
RB: Achane, Brian Robinson, Chuba, James Conner, Pierce, Akers
WR: Tyreek, AJ Brown, Pittman, DK Metcalf, Nacua, Godwin, JuJu, Kyle Philips, Tillman
TE: Kittle, McBride, Michael Mayer, Musgrave, Ertz
D/ST: Green Bay