Russell Wilson Discussion Thread - Split with Seahawks?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Is Russell Wilson still an Elite QB 1?

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:00 pm

Shoreline Steamers wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:45 pm
mullmania wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:51 pm If Baldwin is out is anyone concerned?

This was the point of my initial post. Not that Wilson 'wasn't a qb1' but that his situation was starting to rapidly crumble around him to the point he might not be a lock to finish top 5 at the position.
If this turns out to be something structural, even just a "loose bodies" situation that requires a cleanup I'll be a little concerned. No Baldwin would really be no bueno. That would leave them with Lockett and a bunch of inexperience (or mediocrity) behind him.

I'm also curious, and maybe irrationally nervous about the type of offense the team wants to employ. When this team was at their best, they ran to set up the pass. Game script may not allow it, but I wouldn't be surprised if the plan is to tilt a little more run heavy to keep the defense off the field so they're not exposed. The line won't be as bad a last year, but it's a better run blocking than pass blocking unit as currently constructed.

If this comes to pass, Wilson's overall numbers might suffer a bit at the expense of the team hopefully finding more success. Yes, I think Wilson is still an elite talent, but he may not produce elite numbers as far a fantasy is concerned.
The addition of Penny, and making a concerted effort to utilize a FB more, as well as drafting arguably the best blocking TE in the league, while also have Ed Dickson, suggests this is the case.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

honcho55
All Pro
All Pro

Postby honcho55 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:17 pm

mullmania wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:28 pm I’m talking about games like Arizona week 17.

7 points in the first half. 7 in the 3rd quarter, 10 in the 4th

Jags Game zero points in the 1st half.

10 in the 3rd, 14th in the 4th

Rams game. Zero points in first half.

7 points total.

I’ll take a sig bet with anyone that wants it that Wilson doesn’t finish top 3 next year
I don’t think many would take that bet, even if they are huge on Wilson (he’s my qb1 in dynasty)

Even if he finishes 4th, I’m pretty happy. Say the guys that finish ahead of him are Brady, Brees, Rodgers. My outlook on Wilson doesn’t take the tiniest hit from that.

Also missing a game or two derails that bet easily.
main league, half PPR, all TDs 6, -3 for INT
12 team. 2019 champ, 2020 runner up, ‘21 3rd
start 2SF, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2WRT

QB: T Lawrence, K Cousins, R Wilson, Z Wilson
RB: K Walker, T Ettiene, JK Dobbins, D Gore, J Hasty, D Johnson, L Rountree
WR: JJ, AJB, A Cooper, Juju, C Kirk, J Dotson, N Westbrook-Ikhine, I McKenzie
TE. T Kelce, Pitts, Albert O, D Parham, J O’Shaunessy

1.03, 1.11, 2.02, 2.09
Extra 24 1st

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:29 pm

Life of Pablo wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:58 pm It reminds me a lot of ARob's great 2015 season and how a lot of his numbers were boosted by 4th-quarter garbage time.
Not to derail the thread but this was a complete myth. No idea who started it but people latched onto it and ran without doing their own analysis. Breakdown by quarter:

23-422-1
14-258-4
21-341-4
21-365-5

As for Seattle, I have full confidence in Wilson, with or without Baldwin. Am I the only one who recognizes that Wilson was a top 5 QB in 2014 and 2015 when they still had Lynch?
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:33 pm

skip wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:29 pm
Life of Pablo wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:58 pm It reminds me a lot of ARob's great 2015 season and how a lot of his numbers were boosted by 4th-quarter garbage time.
Not to derail the thread but this was a complete myth. No idea who started it but people latched onto it and ran without doing their own analysis. Breakdown by quarter:

23-422-1
14-258-4
21-341-4
21-365-5

As for Seattle, I have full confidence in Wilson, with or without Baldwin. Am I the only one who recognizes that Wilson was a top 5 QB in 2014 and 2015 when they still had Lynch?
It was more like 2nd half when the team was trailing, and the 4th quarter did d boast his highest totals, so there is a modicum of truth to it.

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:22 am

skip wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:29 pm As for Seattle, I have full confidence in Wilson, with or without Baldwin. Am I the only one who recognizes that Wilson was a top 5 QB in 2014 and 2015 when they still had Lynch?
I don't dismiss this fact, but my only concern is how much the defense will be able to help the offense. In those seasons Seattle was 4th and 10th in average starting field position. That's got to help the offense when you're dealing with a shorter field. I wouldn't try to guess how much, but I'm just hoping there's not as much regression as expected on the defensive side of the ball.

Wilson is elite in my opinion. I just wonder if he'll be able to put up elite numbers on this version of the team. But if their depth was drafted and developed well, maybe the drop-off in surrounding talent on both sides of the ball won't be as bad a feared.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:47 am

Shoreline Steamers wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:22 am
skip wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:29 pm As for Seattle, I have full confidence in Wilson, with or without Baldwin. Am I the only one who recognizes that Wilson was a top 5 QB in 2014 and 2015 when they still had Lynch?
I don't dismiss this fact, but my only concern is how much the defense will be able to help the offense. In those seasons Seattle was 4th and 10th in average starting field position. That's got to help the offense when you're dealing with a shorter field. I wouldn't try to guess how much, but I'm just hoping there's not as much regression as expected on the defensive side of the ball.

Wilson is elite in my opinion. I just wonder if he'll be able to put up elite numbers on this version of the team. But if their depth was drafted and developed well, maybe the drop-off in surrounding talent on both sides of the ball won't be as bad a feared.
I wonder if they will ever address the WR position? They really haven't since Wilson has been there. They got him a RZ weapon in Jimmy Graham, (the really Jimmy G), and that has been it. Graham is gone now. What happens if Baldwin gets hurt for any extended period? Yikes. They need to think about drafting one next year with all these good prospects coming out.

BigJoeWall72
Role Player
Role Player

Postby BigJoeWall72 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:04 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:47 am I wonder if they will ever address the WR position? They really haven't since Wilson has been there. They got him a RZ weapon in Jimmy Graham, (the really Jimmy G), and that has been it. Graham is gone now. What happens if Baldwin gets hurt for any extended period? Yikes. They need to think about drafting one next year with all these good prospects coming out.
Agree with the bolded. I said way back in April that they should sign Dez Bryant to give Russ another threat.

As to the original topic, I think even if Russ has a "bad" year like 2016, he's still going to end up a mid-low QB1. I'm guessing a more realistic outcome is somewhere between 2016 and 2017, which would still put him in the running for a top-5 QB season. Combine that with his relative youth (vs. Brady, Rodgers, Roethlisberger, Rivers, Ryan), upside when he does have weapons, and the fact that he is still very mobile, I think he remains an elite QB1.

There could be some perceived downside though, so maybe this is an opportunity to buy low?

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:13 pm

There are a handful of QB's you can pencil in as a top 5 finisher at QB any given year in the NFL and Wilson is one of them. He has never had a great WR or a terrific line but manages to put his team in positions to win every week
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:17 am

If Baldwin is out for the entire pre-season, it is going to be interesting to see which other receivers he has the most chemistry / success with this pre-season.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

btv802
All Pro
All Pro

Postby btv802 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:42 am

Wow I haven't read this thread but I can't believe it's lasted for three pages :roll:
GREEN MOUNTAIN BOYS
12 Teams - 24 Active - 4 IR - 4 Taxi - 1pt PPR, 6pt Pass TDs, No INTs - 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2FLX
QB: R. Wilson, T. Brady, K. Cousins
RB: M. Gordon, D. Cook, T. Coleman, J. McKinnon, I. Smith
WR: B. Cooks, J. Jones, A.J. Green, S. Watkins, M. Williams, M. Valdes-Scantling, J. Ross, M. Lee, T. Taylor, P. Richardson
TE: T. Kelce, D. Njoku, J. Smith
TAXI: B. Snell, M. Weber, K. Warring
2021: 3rd, 3rd, 4th

GridironGuerilla
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby GridironGuerilla » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:49 am

I would have thought the very 1st response would have covered it.
"If on 4th down, the quarterback doesn't complete his pass, they will turn over the ball."

-Booger McFarlland

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:51 am

Regarding Baldwin, I heard it opined that a guy entering training-camp and preseason with a sore knee typically won't be 100% for the entire season.

If true, then

- Russell Wilson is in for a down year, statistically
- yet another warning not to sleep on Tyler Lockett
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

mullmania
MVP
MVP

Postby mullmania » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:24 pm

I'm doing a 3 year catch and release dynasty startup and I nabbed a Wilson copy in the early 5th round.

Sitting with Kamara, AJ Green, Landry, Ertz, Wilson so far PPR

I just saw his week 1 matchup is Denver....yikes

mullmania
MVP
MVP

Postby mullmania » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:29 pm

So the answer I have is Yes for dynasty Wilson is still an elite top 3-5 QB.

I won't be suprised if he has a decent fall off this year though.

Looking at the numbers when I was researching for the draft he set an NFL record I believe with 17 4th quarter TD passes.

He also accounted for like 36 of Seattles total 37 offensive tds or some crazy metric. He was a legit one man show.

Now the team shouldn't be great again and will likely be finding themselves in more catch up mode but regerssion has to hit.

I also think they Sign Dez

mullmania
MVP
MVP

Postby mullmania » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:26 pm

I do believe raising the concern about his weapons was valid. Here we are week 3 and it's an issue.

Russell I'm rooting for ya