Forum Turnover

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
DDT
Role Player
Role Player

Re: Forum Turnover

Postby DDT » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:50 pm

Cult of Dionysus wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 6:19 am Something got me thinking recently about forum turnover. It seems that there has been a lot of poster turnover here in the last five years. And by "this forum" I mean this specific sub-forum which is the only sub-forum I regularly frequent.

The best litmus for me is the group of 32 guys who joined the DLF Hall of Famers League and DLF Premium League in 2014. As a reminder, each one of these 32 guys was a premium member and, for the HOFL, had to have at least 1,000 posts. Here are links to the 2014 league sites, which show the names of all 32 guys:

2014 DLF PL: http://www57.myfantasyleague.com/2014/home/57021#0
2014 HOFL PL: http://www62.myfantasyleague.com/2014/home/55442#0

I would say that at least 75% of those guys no longer post here regularly, if at all. The attrition could actually be a little higher, as I think fewer than 8 of these guys are still active, regular posters. On the contrary, I would say about the majority of these guys continue to play within these leagues (so it's not like they've all stopped fantasy football, quite the contrary actually). 11 of 16 remain in DLF PL. I don't have the HOFL figures handy, as I'm not in that league.

I have a hard time identifying the basis for this turnover. Tucorex has only been here for a few weeks and Coogan has only been gone for a little while longer. Neither can be blamed for the turnover.

Is fantasy football fleeting?

Is forum participation (in general) fleeting?

Is the nature of this sub-forum not geared toward long-term participation?

Has there been a qualitative change at this sub-forum in the last few years that has driven so many guys away?

Is there another reason?

It would be very interesting, also, if DLF would check/say how many of these 32 guys remain Premium Members of this site. I wonder whether the membership attrition would correspond more closely with forum participation or league participation?
Cult, did you notice a difference in the breakdown between HOF and Premium? I am in the Premium and don't post much now, but didn't post much at the time that I joined earlier. Whereas the HOF had a posting minimum, the Premium league did not.

With that being said, a lot of people hit the nail on the head. I've noticed a lot of turnover in many of my leagues and a change in activity level of different owners after getting married, having kids, etc. I also think that a lot of the older hardcore owners have pulled away from the sport a bit. With the amount of free information and twitter to discuss potential trades, the incentive to put in the time to get an edge has lessened a bit. And, on the twitter front, it seems like a lot of people have moved on from forums to twitter to get input and ideas on team management.

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:13 am

DDT wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:50 pmWith the amount of free information and twitter to discuss potential trades, the incentive to put in the time to get an edge has lessened a bit. And, on the twitter front, it seems like a lot of people have moved on from forums to twitter to get input and ideas on team management.
Twitter's great, but it's best for responses with character limits. You can't have the level of in-depth discussion and analysis you can with forums. Even trade input requests can be tricky on Twitter, with the variety of unique settings available.

Twitter has its role, as do forums. One doesn't eliminate the value of the other.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

Goirish374
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Goirish374 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:36 am

i actually get a little nauseated at the idea of twitter replacing message boards as it is such a one sided echo chamber of a "communication" medium.

ok, its *more* that way than a message board already is.

ok, its *slightly* more that way than a message board already is.
Dynasty League Football Premium League Almanac:
2020 Champ: me again! (no, for reals!)
2019 Champ: me!
2018 Champ: Qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
2017 Champ: Irishdoom
2016 Champ: DDT(wakelawyer)
2015 Champ: BigChiefBC