Have you guys noticed a high amount of draft stalling hijackers this year?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Have you guys noticed a high amount of draft stalling hijackers this year?

Postby jordanzs » Fri May 04, 2018 4:49 pm

I have a few rookie drafts and I'm seeing higher instances of stalling for the magic to grace their inbox.

Like as soon as Barkley is gone, there is a huge RB tier from 1.2 to 1.8. I have a couple of drafts rolling where guys in that tier want to trade back to 1.7 or 1.8. But the guys at 1.7 or 1.8 know they're getting Freeman or Kerryon (at worst), so they feel no need to pay to move up. And the guys looking to trade back seem to be paralyzed by fear about making the wrong choice. I've even suggested that if they want a trade back, talk to someone at 1.11 or 1.12 who needs to lock in a 1st round RB, but they don't want to trade back that far.

I'm also seeing guys in the mid 1st round who want a receiver, but they don't want to choose them there, they would rather trade back to 1.11 or 1.12. And the guys at 1.11 or 1.12 (I'm one of them in many leagues) don't feel the need to trade up for WR. I can hang where I'm at and get Kirk, Sutton, Gallop, etc. So the guys looking to trade back become paralyzed by fear about having to pick.

Every year we have draft stalls for owners who are searching for tradebacks, but this year it just feels more scripted, and it feels like they're fishing in an empty lake as the owners who "would be" their trade partner just don't want to move up.

Have you guys seen this? Or is it just my leagues?

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: Have you guys noticed a high amount of draft stalling hijackers this year?

Postby murphysxm » Fri May 04, 2018 5:16 pm

Yep, picks 1.03-1.10 are essentially a wash. Problem is the 1.03-1.04 have spent all off season thinking they had more of a premium pick then they have today
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Fri May 04, 2018 5:38 pm

Yeah the 1.03 was supposed to be the pick that jumped the most post-draft. It's done the opposite it seems.

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Fri May 04, 2018 5:54 pm

It's amusing yet painful to see how these owners are processing that info. I have 2 drafts that are stalled in this region as they want to trade back but nobody wants to trade up. So it's a stalemate. If I was picking the 1.3 zone, I would acknowledge that, put out trade offer feelers for an hour or 2, and then say "screw it" and pick my guy and move on. Teams aren't required to trade up for your pick just because you want a tradeback.

djeternal2
Captain
Captain

Postby djeternal2 » Fri May 04, 2018 7:44 pm

jordanzs wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 5:54 pm It's amusing yet painful to see how these owners are processing that info. I have 2 drafts that are stalled in this region as they want to trade back but nobody wants to trade up. So it's a stalemate. If I was picking the 1.3 zone, I would acknowledge that, put out trade offer feelers for an hour or 2, and then say "screw it" and pick my guy and move on. Teams aren't required to trade up for your pick just because you want a tradeback.
Likewise teams aren't required to say "screw it" and pick within an hour or two. It's the offseason if they aren't violating any rules for the league what's the issue? Why are some ppl in such a rush to get the draft done when it's May? It's not like the season starts tomorrow.
10 tm ppr 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 2 Flex, TE, K, TDEF (Yr 6)
QB - Ryan, Wentz
RB - Gurley, A Jones, Cohen, Kerryon, Dam Williams, Duke, I Smith, Armstead, T Carson
WR - AJG, Watkins, ARob, A. Cooper, K Allen, M Williams, Godwin, Callaway, JJAW
TE - Gesicki, I Smith, Herndon, Eifert, Sternberger, Dissly

10 tm TE prem 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex, K, 2 DB, 2 DL, 2 LB (Yr 5)
QB - Mahomes, Mayfield, Wentz,
RB - Zeke, Chubb, Kerryon, Duke, Edmonds, B Hill
WR - Nuk, AJG, ARob, JJS, Samuel, MVS, T Smith, D Hamilton, Gallup, K Johnson
TE - Njoku, Eifert, Herndon, I Smith, I Thomas, Moreau
DL - Watt, K Clark, Q Williams
LB - D Jones, D Bush
DB - K Neal, Bell

DLF Early Birds - 16 tm SF (1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex, 1 SF
QB - A Rodgers, Darnold, Rosen, M Rudolph, Luck
RB - Damian Williams, J Howard, Duke, AP, Gore
WR - Julio, Golladay, Kirk, Stills, Manny Sanders, N Harry
TE - Jarwin, Gesicki, Boyle, Sprinkle

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Fri May 04, 2018 7:48 pm

So you guys would be in favor of banning the guy in this thread? ;)

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=157328
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Walter W.
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Walter W. » Fri May 04, 2018 8:03 pm

djeternal2 wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 7:44 pm
jordanzs wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 5:54 pm It's amusing yet painful to see how these owners are processing that info. I have 2 drafts that are stalled in this region as they want to trade back but nobody wants to trade up. So it's a stalemate. If I was picking the 1.3 zone, I would acknowledge that, put out trade offer feelers for an hour or 2, and then say "screw it" and pick my guy and move on. Teams aren't required to trade up for your pick just because you want a tradeback.
Likewise teams aren't required to say "screw it" and pick within an hour or two. It's the offseason if they aren't violating any rules for the league what's the issue? Why are some ppl in such a rush to get the draft done when it's May? It's not like the season starts tomorrow.
I hear you. Nobody needs to be in a hurry, but it does suck when things just grind to a halt for no real reason. Everyone is excited about the draft, people want to see who gets taken in front of them, everyone wants their turn to be on the clock. We have a couple of speed bumps in our league. It's never about making a trade or anything else, they are just slow and don't pay attention.
The One Who Knocks
12 team league, 27 man rosters (more during the offseason), 7 man Practice Squad. Standard league with big play scoring for IDPs.

QB: L. Jackson, K. Mond, K. Murray, A. Richardson, D. Thompson-Robinson
RB: L. Bellamy, Z. Charbonnet, N. Chubb, N. Harris, K. Hunt, K. Ingram, C. Edwards-Helaire, J. Mixon, D. Vaughn, J. Warren, K. Williams
WR: C. Austin, O. Beckham, A. Cooper, C. Davis, J. Downs, M. Goodwin, N. Harry, J. Jefferson, J. Jeudy, T. Johnson, M. Jones, A. Lazard, M. Mims, S. Moore, R. Rice, J. Smith-Schuster, J. Washington, A. Wesley, N. Westbrook-Ikhine
TE: N. Fant, H. Henry, K. Pitts, D. Washington
K: Z. Gonzalez, R. Gould, B. McManus
DL: J. Hughes, T. Wilson
LB: D. Harris, J. Houston, S. Leonard
DB: E. Forbes, A. Robertson

2024 picks: 1, 1, 3, 5, 5, 6, 7
2025 picks: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Fri May 04, 2018 10:54 pm

But in order to trade back, you have to have teams that actually want to trade up. I’m all for working the trade floor if i “want” a tradeback, but I also understand that the reason that I’m trading back can be the same reason why those owners don’t want to trade up

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat May 05, 2018 12:26 am

Completely agree. What rush it, it's all that's left until the season, basically. Relax and enjoy the ride.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat May 05, 2018 12:30 am

jordanzs wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 10:54 pm
But in order to trade back, you have to have teams that actually want to trade up. I’m all for working the trade floor if i “want” a tradeback, but I also understand that the reason that I’m trading back can be the same reason why those owners don’t want to trade up
Yes, but sometimes there are only a handful of owners on Groupme, or the site while a guy start OTC. He has every right to take his time and explore trading with every last owner before making his pick. I tried to trade back, about 4-5 guys weren't interested, I didn't want to try and trade back any further, and I picked, but I can't fault somebody for taking their time. I had the 1.02, and my initial assessment pre-draft was correct. Guice was not in his own tier. 1,02 value was not there for anybody to move up a few, so I picked. If somebody is in a different spot though, they may feel somebody sees somebody like Guice slip, and try and explore trading when he's OTC and Guice is still there. Have to be patient if it's within the time they are given.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

pierson242
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby pierson242 » Sat May 05, 2018 4:51 am

murphysxm wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 5:16 pm Yep, picks 1.03-1.10 are essentially a wash. Problem is the 1.03-1.04 have spent all off season thinking they had more of a premium pick then they have today
I disagree, After Barkley Chubb Michel and Guice, still a tier drop to me
Devy Writer and Ranker for DLF

Follow me on Twitter @PiersonFF

djeternal2
Captain
Captain

Postby djeternal2 » Sat May 05, 2018 5:17 am

jordanzs wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 10:54 pm
Who's to say it's just a matter of using the whole clock to trade back? Maybe the owner is doing research because someone is there that they didn't expect to be there. or maybe it's a situation like mine. I work third shift and sleep during the day. so for me to even entertain trade offers I'm on the clock longer because most owners are up while I'm sleeping and vice versa. Just remember not to jump to conclusions just because someone is taking more time than you want them to. Again as long as they aren't breaking any league rules c'est la vie your pick will come.
10 tm ppr 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 2 Flex, TE, K, TDEF (Yr 6)
QB - Ryan, Wentz
RB - Gurley, A Jones, Cohen, Kerryon, Dam Williams, Duke, I Smith, Armstead, T Carson
WR - AJG, Watkins, ARob, A. Cooper, K Allen, M Williams, Godwin, Callaway, JJAW
TE - Gesicki, I Smith, Herndon, Eifert, Sternberger, Dissly

10 tm TE prem 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex, K, 2 DB, 2 DL, 2 LB (Yr 5)
QB - Mahomes, Mayfield, Wentz,
RB - Zeke, Chubb, Kerryon, Duke, Edmonds, B Hill
WR - Nuk, AJG, ARob, JJS, Samuel, MVS, T Smith, D Hamilton, Gallup, K Johnson
TE - Njoku, Eifert, Herndon, I Smith, I Thomas, Moreau
DL - Watt, K Clark, Q Williams
LB - D Jones, D Bush
DB - K Neal, Bell

DLF Early Birds - 16 tm SF (1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex, 1 SF
QB - A Rodgers, Darnold, Rosen, M Rudolph, Luck
RB - Damian Williams, J Howard, Duke, AP, Gore
WR - Julio, Golladay, Kirk, Stills, Manny Sanders, N Harry
TE - Jarwin, Gesicki, Boyle, Sprinkle

John Paul
Role Player
Role Player

Postby John Paul » Sat May 05, 2018 12:53 pm

I've punted out of the first round on the last two drafts. There are a lot of prospects I like in those two classes but hate their situations. If this sort of NFL draft happens again I will punt '19 too.
10 Team PPR Dynasty (2012 Startup) 2018 1st 2019 2nd 2021 2nd

QB: Matt Stafford(Trade '22), Kirk Cousins(Trade '22), Baker Mayfield(Trade '22)
RB: Jonathan Taylor(Trade '21), ETN(trade '22), Breece Hall(1.02 '22), Deon Jackson (WW '23), Michael Carter (trade '23)
WR: Drake London (Trade '23), Jahan Dotson (Trade "23), Allen Robinson (Trade '22), Brandin Cooks (Trade '23), John Metchie III(2.02 "23), Rondale Moore(Trade '21), Kyle Philips(4.05 '22), Curtis Samuel (Trade '23)
TE: Kyle Pitts(Trade '22), Logan Thomas (WW "23)
LB: Logan Wilson (WW '22), Zaire Franklin (WW'23), Matt Judon (WW '23)
DB: M Fitzpatrick (WW '22), I Simmons (WW "23), Jamal Adams (WW "23)
DL: Chase Young(3.08/'20), Aidan Hutchinson (WW "23)

2023: 1.05, 1.06, 1.07, 1.08, 2.04
2024: 1, 1, 1, 2, 2
2025: 1, 1, 1, 2, 2

DLF3000
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby DLF3000 » Sat May 05, 2018 1:09 pm

I'm pretty lost as what to do and what will be there after my 1.02, so I did sent out just a few offers to move my high and mid-2nds packaged together.

No interest yet, but sometimes that changes by the time we're actually drafting each round each month.

Right now though, I'm pretty much all shrugs after the first 10-12 picks. Need to do more research I guess.
35 Team Dyn PPR, 3 x Copy SF start 2TE Super Prem (TE 2 PPR, 8pt TD), 6 pt/non-TE TD, 1pt/20 yds pass (300 +3pt), 1pt/10 yds rush/rec (100 +3pt)

Start 12: 1QB 1SFLX 2RB 4WR 2TE 2FLX | 30 Active Roster, unlim Taxi, 3 IR/Out (+) | est. '21 | playoffs '21, '22

QB - J Allen, T Lawrence ...
RB - A Ekeler, S Barkley, J Cook, I Pacheco ...
WR - AJ Brown, C Ridley, G Pickens, C Sutton ...
TE - D Njoku, D Knox ...
® 2024 - | 2025 -

sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby sloth8u » Sun May 06, 2018 6:17 am

all leagues are different. some want to just pick, some like the long process. I wouldn't let it get to you. I tend to follow suit with my leaguemates. if they are all taking their time, I will do so. if they want to rush through it, I have no problem sending out a few offers to owners that I know are interested (because of predraft discussions), if nothing pans out right away....I just make the pick.

imo, if you are thinking of trading the pick....you should already have a few deals in mind. it should not take a long time. perhaps some owners are not responding to the stalled picks offer? who's fault is it then? you get the idea. I very rarely agree with the concensus that early draft picks carry more value while on the clock. tiers always emerge and are typically expanded. if some would like to make the argument for 1.1...I would not disagree. but in general...if you want to trade your pick, do it in a timely manner. you should not just stall.

i'll also add that each owner should be allowed to make their pick without a bunch of hassle. a paying league member has the right to skip the predraft selection and make their own pick while on the clock.