Jordan Matthews???

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
btv802
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Jordan Matthews???

Postby btv802 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:45 am

I'm happy with the landing spot. Feels like a great opportunity for Matthews to prove he can stay healthy & play at a high level on a team where he's not necessarily going to be relied on to be the primary target immediately like he has for most of his career so far. It may not be super fruitful from a fantasy standpoint in 2018, but professionally feels like a smart long term move for him. If he can do good things with the opportunities he gets maybe somebody gives him a decent long term contract next year.
GREEN MOUNTAIN BOYS
12 Teams - 24 Active - 4 IR - 4 Taxi - 1pt PPR, 6pt Pass TDs, No INTs - 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2FLX
QB: R. Wilson, T. Brady, K. Cousins
RB: M. Gordon, D. Cook, T. Coleman, J. McKinnon, I. Smith
WR: B. Cooks, J. Jones, A.J. Green, S. Watkins, M. Williams, M. Valdes-Scantling, J. Ross, M. Lee, T. Taylor, P. Richardson
TE: T. Kelce, D. Njoku, J. Smith
TAXI: B. Snell, M. Weber, K. Warring
2021: 3rd, 3rd, 4th

btv802
All Pro
All Pro

Postby btv802 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:45 am

Dookmariot wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:44 am Or, maybe, he rehabs his value and signs a nice contract next season?

In redraft, I wouldn't touch him, but we're talking about a longer term view here.
You posted this while I was typing out a post with similar sentiments.
GREEN MOUNTAIN BOYS
12 Teams - 24 Active - 4 IR - 4 Taxi - 1pt PPR, 6pt Pass TDs, No INTs - 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2FLX
WR: B. Cooks, J. Jones, A.J. Green, S. Watkins, M. Williams, M. Valdes-Scantling, J. Ross, M. Lee, T. Taylor, P. Richardson

Dookmarriot
MVP
MVP

Postby Dookmarriot » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:46 am

FiremanEd wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:00 am
Dookmariot wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:18 am
clarion contrarion wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:22 am
matthews is dirt cheap and as such is worth an end of the bench flyer if his current owner is too proud of him I would let him stay where he is at but were he really cheap like a 3rd round pick why not add him as depth and see what happens when the pads start popping ?
This is it. JMatt's price is so low (in shallower leagues I've got him off the wire) it's all upside with little investment. If his last year was due to injury, he can rehab his value, land a new deal and bang - you have a very nice WR2-3. If the injury doesn't heal, what have you lost? And what other end of the bench flier has the same combo of past production and youth?
Willie Snead!
Well played!

(Got him stashed a few places too!)
"I like reading the predictions of the morons on here and cashing in by doing the opposite. Especially Dookmariot." - Lotto4Life

"Because of (the Raiders), there's the no-clothesline rule, the no-hitting-out-of-bounds rule, the no-fumbling-forward-in-the-last-two-minutes rule, the no-throwing-helmets rule and the no-Stickum rule. So you see, we're not all bad." - Ted "The Mad Stork" Hendricks

RightlegTucker
All Pro
All Pro

Postby RightlegTucker » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:58 am

Matthews being relatively cheap in comparison to the past is part of the equation (much better buy beforehand), but on the flip side he still has his believers and this is a good opportunity for a quick upsell if you don't believe in him. The buffalo situation was head scratching to me lol. I'm definitely going to fish and see what's out there 8-)

anonymously
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby anonymously » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:04 am

Does anyone think Edelman will be the same guy he was 18 months ago? He'll be 32 next month and is coming off an ACL tear.

I'm not expecting the world from Matthews but I think assuming Edelman is locked in as the clear cut WR1 is dangerous.
12 team, 20 player dynasty, non-PPR, 6pt all TDs, QB 2RB 3WR TE 1FLEX
Wilson Stafford Winston | CMC Jacobs Akers Gaskin DJ Conner | Adams Hopkins Cooper JuJu Woods Jeudy Mims | Kelce Jonnu | 1.01/1.08/3.04

RightlegTucker
All Pro
All Pro

Postby RightlegTucker » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:09 am

anonymously wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:04 am Does anyone think Edelman will be the same guy he was 18 months ago? He'll be 32 next month and is coming off an ACL tear.

I'm not expecting the world from Matthews but I think assuming Edelman is locked in as the clear cut WR1 is dangerous.
Hogan's also 30 and has never had more than 70 targets in any single season of his career (probably would've had it last year if he didn't get injured tbf). With Cooks and Amendola gone 200+ targets are up for grabs. Gronk's the number one option regardless though (unless he gets traded).

James McGhee
Captain
Captain

Postby James McGhee » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:10 am

anonymously wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:04 am Does anyone think Edelman will be the same guy he was 18 months ago? He'll be 32 next month and is coming off an ACL tear.

I think Edelman will get more chances to remain the guy than any other 32 yr WR coming off an ACL tear would get. His bromance with Brady will see he gets more than his fair share of chances to resume his usual duties in that offense. He will really have to underwhelm. And yes, I understand Belichick is cold blooded when it comes to personnel decisions but let's be real, Brady has sway when it comes to the offense.
12 team league; 15 man roster; .5 pt PPR;
QB/RB/2 WR/TE/2 FLX/K/DEF

Tom Brady, Cam Newton
Mark Ingram, Kerryon Johnson, Rashaad Penny, Ronald Jones
AJ Green, Keenan Allen, Michael Thomas, Marvin Jones, Golden Tate, Keelan Cole
Rob Gronkowski
Will Lutz
Minnesota Defense

12 team league; 30-man roster; full PPR
QB/2 RB/2 WR/TE/3 FLX

Rodgers, Goff, Carr
Bell, J. Stewart, Foreman, Perine
Hopkins, K. Allen, Cooks, Hurns, Kupp, Lee, C. Samuel, Patterson, Taywan Taylor
Howard, Hooper, S. Anderson

btv802
All Pro
All Pro

Postby btv802 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:21 am

I probably wouldn't bet against Edelman coming back and being effective, but yeah...there is a real possibility that Matthews falls into a bigger target share this year than anticipated. I just wouldn't necessarily make that the reason you acquire Matthews right now.
GREEN MOUNTAIN BOYS

btv802
All Pro
All Pro

Postby btv802 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:24 am

For everybody recommending you go out and buy Matthews for a 3rd now, I think that buy low window may be shut at the moment. There is real excitement about this landing spot for people that believe in Matthews.
GREEN MOUNTAIN BOYS

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:43 am

btv802 wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:24 am For everybody recommending you go out and buy Matthews for a 3rd now, I think that buy low window may be shut at the moment. There is real excitement about this landing spot for people that believe in Matthews.
Agreed. The buy window is BEFORE a player signs in an appealing situation, not after. By default you will be paying more than you would have yesterday.

That said, if you believe and can find a deal, perhaps you buy half way up the hill instead of at the bottom. Still profit available, but you missed the profit of half the hill.

Barring injury, I expect JMatt to produce just fine. I don’t think he reaches 1K yards (hopefully 800-900?) but perhaps he can provide WR3 output. Given the negative association due to recent disappointment, injury, and what is perceived as a capped Jericho Corchery type ceiling, he’s unlikely to ever be valued where significant profit is available, but you could be rewarded with a solid WR3 for a stretch. That said, this is a prove it 1 year deal, and who knows what the future holds for him, but regardless, it feels capped.

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:18 am

I've been a JMatt fan / supporter / apologist since his draft. I've fielded many offers for him all of which were attempts at buying low. I agree that this is a great opportunity for him. There wasn't a reason for me to move him for a late 2nd in a 16 team league before because he still has that upside. He still has that bloodline (Jerry Rice's nephew), and work ethic. His health and situations have been less than ideal. I still believe in him and still see wr2 upside. He is still young and is a superior athlete in most respects, when compared to the rest of the NE wr corp. Those that said that there won't be targets going around - What are you thinking?

For those that are high on Edelman and confident he will be the wr to own in NE, I'm fine with it as anything is possible, but remind yourselves of his age (32 I think) and the knee recovery issue that must be taken into consideration because of his age and style of play. This is a great spot for JMatt, and significantly better for fantasy output than the wasteland that is / was Buffalo. In short, for those that were patient and held on to him, this is what we've been waiting for. If he falls on his face with this opportunity, then, the writing is on the wall. Moving him for a late 2nd or 3rd at this point in time would likely be an unwise move imo.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

BigBawseRoss
GOAT
GOAT

Postby BigBawseRoss » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:01 am

ah yes the bloodline factor
team 1
12 team, 1 pt for 4 rec, 0.1 per rush
1qb, 3 rb, 4 wr, te, k, 4 idp
Dak , Herbert
Achane, Breece Hall, KW3Kyren,Ford, Miller, Spiller, z evans, singletary
J Jefferson, Diggs, DK, D Smith Puka, C Watson, E Moore
Njoku , HH, Engram

2024 picks
1,3,4,5,5,6,7 (all late mostly)

team 2
12 team .5ppr
qb, 2 rb, 2 wr, te, flx,flx,
Fields, Dak
Ford,Mixon, Javonte, Mostert, Chubb, Spears
Hopkins, Evans, g Wilson Mingo, shaheed, Jamo
Kelce,McBride, Chig,

team 3
14 team sf, even scoring idp to offense (rb scores highly too)
Josh Allen, A Rich, Foles, Rudolph
Bijan, Charbs, Spears, Ebner
J Williams, G Wilson, C Watson, Flowers, J Addison, Tillman
Kincaid, Kolar, Ruckert, Fergeson

Kenny Clark, josh allen, jaelen phillips, felix a-u and a bunch of fluff and rookie fliers at idp

Jason3123
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Jason3123 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:06 am

JFever wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:18 am I've been a JMatt fan / supporter / apologist since his draft. I've fielded many offers for him all of which were attempts at buying low. I agree that this is a great opportunity for him. There wasn't a reason for me to move him for a late 2nd in a 16 team league before because he still has that upside. He still has that bloodline (Jerry Rice's nephew), and work ethic. His health and situations have been less than ideal. I still believe in him and still see wr2 upside. He is still young and is a superior athlete in most respects, when compared to the rest of the NE wr corp. Those that said that there won't be targets going around - What are you thinking?

For those that are high on Edelman and confident he will be the wr to own in NE, I'm fine with it as anything is possible, but remind yourselves of his age (32 I think) and the knee recovery issue that must be taken into consideration because of his age and style of play. This is a great spot for JMatt, and significantly better for fantasy output than the wasteland that is / was Buffalo. In short, for those that were patient and held on to him, this is what we've been waiting for. If he falls on his face with this opportunity, then, the writing is on the wall. Moving him for a late 2nd or 3rd at this point in time would likely be an unwise move imo.
Preach baby.

Great spot for J-Matt.

1. He'll get lots of exposure in New England and people will quickly forget about last year when he makes some plays in a Pats jersey.
2. If the report by the Pats beat writer is true about them wanting to use J-Matt in that move TE role, now we're really talking.
3. His work ethic/love by teammates is well documented so it makes sense New England liked him. Fits their mold.

DLF3000
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby DLF3000 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:22 am

I swear, every time I try to unload my "weekly boom/bust" Patriots players, they inevitably come back to my roster!

No idea what to make of this move this early. Matthews could just as easily turn in Hogan/Amendola value or roster clog/droppable value.
35 Team Dyn PPR, 3 x Copy SF start 2TE Super Prem (TE 2 PPR, 8pt TD), 6 pt/non-TE TD, 1pt/20 yds pass (300 +3pt), 1pt/10 yds rush/rec (100 +3pt)

Start 12: 1QB 1SFLX 2RB 4WR 2TE 2FLX | 30 Active Roster, unlim Taxi, 3 IR/Out (+) | est. '21 | playoffs '21, '22

QB - J Allen, T Lawrence ...
RB - A Ekeler, S Barkley, J Cook, I Pacheco ...
WR - AJ Brown, C Ridley, G Pickens, C Sutton ...
TE - D Njoku, D Knox ...
® 2024 - | 2025 -

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:00 am

Agreed ^

He could easily have a major impact and have a career turnaround or.... He could continue to disappoint. I'm quite happy he went to NE from Buffalo. I never understood the Buffalo thing. If he busts while in NE, I think the writing will be on the wall and it'll be safe for all of us JMatt apologists to cut bait and move on. I still think back to my research on him and his Vandi production. Man, I thought he had what it took. Great size, NCAA production, draft pedigree, work ethic, off field maturity, and being closely related to the best wr to ever wear football cleats didn't hurt my opinion on him. A long series of unfortunate events later... and here we are. fingers crossed..
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.