Jordan Matthews???

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
RightlegTucker
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Jordan Matthews???

Postby RightlegTucker » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:23 pm

jcc6fd wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:20 pm As a JMatt and Edelman owner I’m not too thrilled and also confused. With Edelman back and Cooks gone it would appear the Pats would need outside help more than slot health. Is this just a high upside/low cost flier for a savvy team, or an indictment on Edelman’s health?
Edelman can play on the outside. He had a roughly 50-50 split in 2015 out wide and in the slot. I think it's much more likely the former than latter. Matthews should be used primarily if not exclusively in the slot.

UATahoe
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby UATahoe » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:33 pm

My guess is it's their hedge against both.
12 Team PPR League 1Qb 2Rb 3Wr 1Flex 1Te 1Def 1K

1 QB Mahomes, Dak Prescott
2 RB Mixon, Kamara, Melvin Gordon, Nick Chubb, Royce Freeman, Justice Hill, Boston Scott, Ito Smith
3 WR Godwin, K. Allen, A. Cooper, S. Watkins, DJ Moore, Michael Gallup, Kelvin Harmon, Martavis Bryant, Core Coleman(IR) Preston Williams(IR)
1 TE Mark Andrews, H. Henry, H. Hurst, Ian Thomas, Goedert
D/ST Bears
K Zane Gonzalez

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:45 pm

Took forever for him to land somewhere. His knee must really be in bad shape. Pats are getting ready for a rebuild, or a re-tooling, perhaps. Brady is almost done, and they are trading away assets for picks. I think the trade for Cooks may have been seen as a more long term thing when they had Jimmy G taking over for Brady, but obviously that changed. The are bringing in a lot of cheap re-treads, and accumulating picks. They are a near lock to win the division, because the rest of the teams are a mess, but I think the Pats Dynasty ended with that SuperBowl loss. The AFC is wide open this year.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

WhatWouldDitkaDo
GOAT
GOAT

Postby WhatWouldDitkaDo » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:22 pm

I'd sell Matthews quickly for any 2nd.
Kittles Pox | Championships: 2015, 2017
12-Team PPR | QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DST
QB: Kyler Murray, Aaron Rodgers
RB: Christian McCaffrey, Melvin Gordon, James Conner, Phillip Lindsay, Tevin Coleman, Boston Scott, Benny Snell Jr.
WR: Tyreek Hill, Mike Evans, Cooper Kupp, Michael Gallup, Christian Kirk
TE: George Kittle, Travis Kelce | K: Younghoe Koo | DST: SF
PS: Mecole Hardman, Tony Pollard | 2020 Picks: 1.09, 2.10, 3.03 | 2021 Picks: 1st, 2nd

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:08 pm

I would sell for literally anything if I owned him. lol

UnsafeAtAnySpd
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby UnsafeAtAnySpd » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:12 am

I had been looking to buy Matthews this off-season (most owners were holding on pending landing spot though). That said, I don't like where he ended up. That receiving core looks as confusing as the backfield now.

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:22 am

BB runs the pats like a few dynasty owners I know just has a few superstars then churns - everyone else - flavor of the week retreads that are dirt cheap . The main 3 differences why he wins and those dynasty owners don't !
1) is he is a genius
2) tom brady matters more in real football than in fantasy football
3) the jets the bills & the dolphins - they are the moe larry & curly of divisional opponents which gets him a pass to the post season every year; that gets him at least 1 home playoff game and usually 2 poof he is in the super bowl .

matthews is dirt cheap and as such is worth an end of the bench flyer if his current owner is too proud of him I would let him stay where he is at but were he really cheap like a 3rd round pick why not add him as depth and see what happens when the pads start popping ?
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:52 am

Surprised at the sentiment here. The Pats routinely turn trash into treasure. Hogan is a jag and has found value with Brady. The Pats also have a good track record of signing vets and getting more life out of them. Matthews is still young and has far more potential than we’ve seen over the past few years due to injury and poor qb play. This is a great opportunity for him as the depth chart is actually pretty shallow in front of him.

Dookmarriot
MVP
MVP

Postby Dookmarriot » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:18 am

clarion contrarion wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:22 am
matthews is dirt cheap and as such is worth an end of the bench flyer if his current owner is too proud of him I would let him stay where he is at but were he really cheap like a 3rd round pick why not add him as depth and see what happens when the pads start popping ?
This is it. JMatt's price is so low (in shallower leagues I've got him off the wire) it's all upside with little investment. If his last year was due to injury, he can rehab his value, land a new deal and bang - you have a very nice WR2-3. If the injury doesn't heal, what have you lost? And what other end of the bench flier has the same combo of past production and youth?
"I like reading the predictions of the morons on here and cashing in by doing the opposite. Especially Dookmariot." - Lotto4Life

"Because of (the Raiders), there's the no-clothesline rule, the no-hitting-out-of-bounds rule, the no-fumbling-forward-in-the-last-two-minutes rule, the no-throwing-helmets rule and the no-Stickum rule. So you see, we're not all bad." - Ted "The Mad Stork" Hendricks

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:00 am

Dookmariot wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:18 am
clarion contrarion wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:22 am
This is it. JMatt's price is so low (in shallower leagues I've got him off the wire) it's all upside with little investment. If his last year was due to injury, he can rehab his value, land a new deal and bang - you have a very nice WR2-3. If the injury doesn't heal, what have you lost? And what other end of the bench flier has the same combo of past production and youth?
Willie Snead!

Generic Username
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Generic Username » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:50 am

New England, as a fantasy option, is a paradox: they are simultaneously the best and worst landing spot for a skill position. Player X is a free agent: "boy I hope NEP takes him, such a great fit! Instant value!" Player X goes to NEP: "good luck figuring out who's gonna be the play of the week! I'm avoiding anyone not named Brady or Gronk!"

UATahoe
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby UATahoe » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:56 am

It really is a strange dynamic i see on here. Everybody wants Brady throwing to their receivers but nobody wants a player on the Patriots. Cant say i really disagree with it either. LOL
12 Team PPR League 1Qb 2Rb 3Wr 1Flex 1Te 1Def 1K

1 QB Mahomes, Dak Prescott
2 RB Mixon, Kamara, Melvin Gordon, Nick Chubb, Royce Freeman, Justice Hill, Boston Scott, Ito Smith
3 WR Godwin, K. Allen, A. Cooper, S. Watkins, DJ Moore, Michael Gallup, Kelvin Harmon, Martavis Bryant, Core Coleman(IR) Preston Williams(IR)
1 TE Mark Andrews, H. Henry, H. Hurst, Ian Thomas, Goedert
D/ST Bears
K Zane Gonzalez

James McGhee
Captain
Captain

Postby James McGhee » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:59 am

The paradox resides in the fact that they are consistently a top producing offense (good!) predicated on weekly scheme changes, mismatch creation and spreading the ball around (bad!).
12 team league; 15 man roster; .5 pt PPR;
QB/RB/2 WR/TE/2 FLX/K/DEF

Tom Brady, Cam Newton
Mark Ingram, Kerryon Johnson, Rashaad Penny, Ronald Jones
AJ Green, Keenan Allen, Michael Thomas, Marvin Jones, Golden Tate, Keelan Cole
Rob Gronkowski
Will Lutz
Minnesota Defense

12 team league; 30-man roster; full PPR
QB/2 RB/2 WR/TE/3 FLX

Rodgers, Goff, Carr
Bell, J. Stewart, Foreman, Perine
Hopkins, K. Allen, Cooks, Hurns, Kupp, Lee, C. Samuel, Patterson, Taywan Taylor
Howard, Hooper, S. Anderson

WhatWouldDitkaDo
GOAT
GOAT

Postby WhatWouldDitkaDo » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:40 am

thebeast wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:52 am Surprised at the sentiment here. The Pats routinely turn trash into treasure. Hogan is a jag and has found value with Brady. The Pats also have a good track record of signing vets and getting more life out of them. Matthews is still young and has far more potential than we’ve seen over the past few years due to injury and poor qb play. This is a great opportunity for him as the depth chart is actually pretty shallow in front of him.
Yes, but there is no clear path to targets. Assuming health, Gronk is the no. 1 red zone target and up the seam, Edelman is the starting slot WR, and Hogan is the likely the X with Cooks gone. With Burkhead and the RBs getting dump off passes as well, there's not a whole lot of targets left to go around. And that's even assuming Matthews claims the no. 3 WR job outright. There's a decent chance NE rotates Matthews, Mitchell, Dorsett, and Britt situationally. The only reason to buy Matthews for a 3rd is as an injury hedge if you think Edelman won't be ready to go Week 1, or you're betting on Gronk to get hurt and they run more 11 personnel if/when that happens.
Kittles Pox | Championships: 2015, 2017
12-Team PPR | QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DST
QB: Kyler Murray, Aaron Rodgers
RB: Christian McCaffrey, Melvin Gordon, James Conner, Phillip Lindsay, Tevin Coleman, Boston Scott, Benny Snell Jr.
WR: Tyreek Hill, Mike Evans, Cooper Kupp, Michael Gallup, Christian Kirk
TE: George Kittle, Travis Kelce | K: Younghoe Koo | DST: SF
PS: Mecole Hardman, Tony Pollard | 2020 Picks: 1.09, 2.10, 3.03 | 2021 Picks: 1st, 2nd

Dookmarriot
MVP
MVP

Postby Dookmarriot » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:44 am

Or, maybe, he rehabs his value and signs a nice contract next season?

In redraft, I wouldn't touch him, but we're talking about a longer term view here.
"I like reading the predictions of the morons on here and cashing in by doing the opposite. Especially Dookmariot." - Lotto4Life

"Because of (the Raiders), there's the no-clothesline rule, the no-hitting-out-of-bounds rule, the no-fumbling-forward-in-the-last-two-minutes rule, the no-throwing-helmets rule and the no-Stickum rule. So you see, we're not all bad." - Ted "The Mad Stork" Hendricks